Options

[Fitness and Weight Management]: It's a lifestyle

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Speaking of DOMS, what's the best way to prevent it?

Ended up getting it pretty bad on my knee after my half and it's just finally starting to go away. I remember I had it last time I ran a half too.

Do I just need to get more long runs in to get my body used to that kind of effort?

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Kyougu wrote: »

Ended up getting it pretty bad on my knee after my half and it's just finally starting to go away. I remember I had it last time I ran a half too.

Do I just need to get more long runs in to get my body used to that kind of effort?

Exercise that muscle group frequently and consistently

If I go 1.5 weeks without squatting I'm going to get DOMS from hell in my adductors. There's no getting around it for me if I take that break, just have to suffer through it.

On your knee sounds a bit weird though for doms, knees not a muscle. If it's actually at the joint it could be something different that you need to pay attention to

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Kyougu wrote: »

Exercise that muscle group frequently and consistently

If I go 1.5 weeks without squatting I'm going to get DOMS from hell in my adductors. There's no getting around it for me if I take that break, just have to suffer through it.

On your knee sounds a bit weird though for doms, knees not a muscle. If it's actually at the joint it could be something different that you need to pay attention to

Be very careful about knee pain and do not Internet your way through finding solutions. In the short term, R.I.C.E. it, in the long term, get it looked at by a doctor.

My knee pain was the result of a lack of hip mobility. Now I'm doing hip exercises I have never known to get running again, and run better when doing so. I'm also training with lots of hip/booty band exercises as prescribed by my physical therapist. Those things aren't just for the ladies :winky:

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Thanks, I assumed it was DOMS because the race was sunday and it didn't start bothering me until Tuesday afternoon. Luckily since then it's been getting better due to rest and ice, but I'm definitely going to keep that in mind if it happens again.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I hopped on the Ring Fit Adventure bandwagon! It's good general exercises to mix things up instead of just running three days a week. Also, it was surprisingly tough - definitely not just a video game. I did the first "Level" on the 2nd highest difficulty and I was drenched by the time I finished.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    After I quit drinking and started working out again, I was bumping up against some knee pain from all of the running, then I remembered the whole thing about needing to work all the various muscles of a joint, started throwing in some different leg weightlifting exercises and poof, pain gone.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I have cut down a lot on booze recently myself, makes a big difference

• Options
    Also I can now do a dozen pull-ups so that's

new

probably not particularly impressive at all but for me that's definitely something I could never do before. I am so glad I found this sport.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Today marks the first time I've seen somebody screaming & threatening staff while getting kicked out of the gym.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    When I used to be a kayaking instructor the first thing we used to do was put them in the kayak and then tip it over in the water

It's useful because you do need to learn how to get out of the kayak safely when you inevitably capsize, and also how to empty it, and also safe capsizing procedure etc

But really because you need to get people used to the idea that you will fall in, you will go under, you will get soaked etc.

(but really really cos it was funny)

This is one of the qualifications you have to be able to handle for OC, also - huli recovery, I mean. And we huli'ed in the race we did in August when the manu ihu (bow) of the Hungarian team's va'a (boat) zig-zagged directly under our ama (outrigger), which really brings home the importance of knowing exactly what to do by reflex when it happens. "MEN CAN DIE, BOAT MUST FLY" is kind of the club motto but... we would really rather nobody actually died, haha.

There's some pretty great drone footage of the crash at least.

But yeah, you're gonna end up in the water inevitably, better to know how to handle it when you do... I signed a friend of mine up to come on a rookie paddle with us and she was really excited until she found out she had to get wet. ?? ???? it's literally an ocean sport what did you think was going to happen

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I did my rookie kayak class last summer, and did not realize how tired I was. We were coming in for the end, and the instructor told us just to paddle in or have fun or practice recoveries or whatever. I was the only one to try another self-recovery practice, and as it turned out, I was so tired, I could barely get my arms over the boat, much less get out.
    Instructor had to help me, and everyone else watched.

:+1:

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    That'll happen sometimes! Don't feel bad! I did a race training OC session the day after I did an aerial hoops class for the first time ever, and I thought I was okay until we decided to do a mid-ocean seat swap halfway through the paddle. Got out, swam up to seat 1, and was like "uhh y'all I can't get back in this boat without an assist."

Also

Aerial hoop = mad bruises all over my inner arms and legs

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Rolls and recovery was the most fun part of our training for back when we did the Avon Descent in 2013.
    As I was sitting in the back of our two-seater, the instructor told me to surprise Amy a few times, and boy did I ever take the opportunity to catch her unawares!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    I did my rookie kayak class last summer, and did not realize how tired I was. We were coming in for the end, and the instructor told us just to paddle in or have fun or practice recoveries or whatever. I was the only one to try another self-recovery practice, and as it turned out, I was so tired, I could barely get my arms over the boat, much less get out.
    Instructor had to help me, and everyone else watched.

:+1:

Yeah I did not expect my shoulders to be wrecked my first time out in a kayak. The last time I had done anything remotely similar to rowing was like 5 years prior and it fucking destroyed me.

But kayaking is the bees knees so worth.

I couldn't even get the boat onto the shore some old dude had to help me.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Kayaking kicks the hell out of your shoulders. I was Kayaking along once and it was a long river trip, my left shoulder kept clicking and popping in and out during the last hour or so, it was bloody agony, swelled to the size of a watermelon for about a day or two afterwards!

• Options
    I should really go Kayaking again

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Kayaking kicks the hell out of your shoulders. I was Kayaking along once and it was a long river trip, my left shoulder kept clicking and popping in and out during the last hour or so, it was bloody agony, swelled to the size of a watermelon for about a day or two afterwards!

If I want to grow watermelon sized muscles, start kayaking. Got it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I went kayaking a few months ago for a veterans charity. We kayaked 22 miles, however we used those foot pedal kayaks. My first time using those, but they're pretty neat and make the actual kayaking part seem a lot easier than if you were using a normal paddle.

However, despite feeling pretty good at the end of the trip, when I tried to get out of the kayak I found out that I physically could not. Somebody had to help me up and then had to help keep me standing. If they had let go of me I would have immediately fallen backwards and not been able to get back up.

It took about 30 mins before I could mostly walk like a person again and even that was pretty suspect.

Moral of the story is kayaking will kick your ass no matter what type of kayak you use. Lot of fun though.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    IIRC, kayaking shouldn't tear up your shoulders too much, it should be mostly abdominals. Core work, rotating to paddle, not using your extremities too much. Can an actual kayaker (@Lost Salient ?) confirm or deny?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    IIRC, kayaking shouldn't tear up your shoulders too much, it should be mostly abdominals. Core work, rotating to paddle, not using your extremities too much. Can an actual kayaker (@Lost Salient ?) confirm or deny?

Yeah if your paddling technique is bang-on in a kayak, all the power comes from your torso. After a day in the boat your obliques should be screaming at you.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Kayaking always goes straight to my thighs and core muscles. Can keep my arms moving forever though.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I seem to remember kayaking hitting my lats pretty hard.

• Options

Most of the work you do is definitely your core and your legs, but on a long river journey especially it definitely does work your shoulders a lot

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    rowing is just one of those activities where your whole body gets a good workout depending on how vigorous you are about it and which areas your body uses to compensate for weaker muscles in others

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    It’s been about a month or so since I cut out sugar, and I’ve kept it up. It’s been really quite easy. The only cheat I’ve given myself is chocolate - 100% chocolate is only available at one store where I live so I’m granting myself 80% and up.

I also just finished jogging 1.2 kms on Ring Fit. I don’t think I’ve ever jogged 1.2 kms. Put a game controller in my hands and I’m off to the goddamn races.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    BeefjerkyBeefjerky Registered User regular
    If you are looking for an alternative for sweetener try Xylitol. It's made from tree bark and is actually a complex carbohydrate, so it doesn't fuck up your blood sugar and insulin levels like every other alternative. It's literally the only added sweetener I will ever use anymore. I also keep away from a lot of sugary foods. You will get to a point where you will wonder how you even managed to eat certain things. The only excessive refined sugar item I can still eat is gummy candies, so I just don't buy them(because I have no self control if that shit is in the house lol)

I got hit with DOMS pretty hard this week, partially from a long gap between exercise, partially trying new things(Crush grip goblet squats, curl and press, farmers carry) and partially only sleeping 14 hours in 3 days. My adductors in my legs are still very unhappy, I guess the solution is to do it more often? It's funny though wake up the next day after sleeping a whole whopping 4 hours(after being awake for 27 hours) and feeling fine. 6 hours later my legs screaming at me.

• Options
    duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    The holy trinity of Fitness are Exercise, Nutrition, and Rest. Limiting your sleep is hard to justify especially when your muscles are crying out that they need more recovery time.

• Options
    It's not "Limiting my sleep" If I wake up after 4 hours then just lay in bed for another 4 hours awake that's really bad in so many ways. I'll start getting sore for starters which will make the rest of my day so much worse, the other big thing is doing anything in bed other then sleep actually wires your brain into learning that when you're in bed, you don't sleep. I have insomnia issues, and while I would be tired enough to try sleeping again after a few hours, I can't because I have to get ready for work. It very much sucks, I like sleep and wish my body would let me do more of it.

• Options
    duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    Oh sorry. I definitely thought you were limiting your sleep deliberately or being indifferent to one of your needs. I see that's not the case, and wish you longer dreams.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    rowing is just one of those activities where your whole body gets a good workout depending on how vigorous you are about it and which areas your body uses to compensate for weaker muscles in others

There's also some different muscle groups working depending on what kind of rowing you're doing - the workout you get from kayaking vs OC or dragonboat vs... whatever they call the kind of rowing you do at Oxford and such in white cardigans which I know zero about... isn't quite the same.

But yeah it's gonna get your whole body. Kayaking tends to surprise me with inner thigh soreness and OC gets my hamstrings.

In other news this is my first day of exercise since last Thursday due to Flying to/Being in America and god I feel better when I work out. Instant mood improvement. I have a coworker who is about my size and loaned me her Specialized and I just took it around the lake.

Of course then I ate half of an America-Sized Sandwich so that good work was QUICKLY undone...

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Hello, yes I like to row.

The past couple of months my rowing team coach has had me practicing rowing on a single.

One of these things
    greg-benning-IMG_4603-XL.jpg
    Not me just some random gis photo

I've been enjoying it a lot. It's a completely different experience to the sweeps that I'm used to rowing and is a lot more challenging in my opinion. Not only are you having to use two oars at once since it's a sculling shell, but since you're the only one on the boat every single movement you make has a huge impact on the boat's balance. Turns out you use your abs a ton for that which is how I got my core the sorest it's ever been after an hour - hour and a half on the lake one practice. Haven't actually flipped it yet, but there have been some real close calls where I'm still not quite sure how I managed to stay dry.

Unfortunately it's starting to get cold so I'm going to be stuck with indoor rowing using ergs for the winter.

edit: Soon as I posted this I realized some people might not know some of the terms I used. Shell is just the term used for the boat, because of how thin/lightweight they are. Sweeps is probably the most common type of competitive rowing where each person on the boat has one large oar they use. Sculling is where each person on the boat has two smaller oars that they use.

H0b0man on
  • Options
    Question from a different type of paddler - can you do high or low braces for recovery in one of those? It seems like it would be tricky/impossible given the oar position/size but I know nothing about rowing a single shell of that type.

I also ask because when we did OC1 orientation (our club just bought three OC1's) I was messing around a bit to practice and Noticeably Did Not Succeed (but also was probably holding myself back because I didn't want to huli much), where I'm pretty okay at it in a kayak.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    So the main thing is that about 90% of your balance is what position your hands, and thus the oars, are in. If you don't move then you'll typically stay in the same position assuming the water is relatively calm. If you feel like you're going to flip you generally want to stop moving your hands and then slowly move them to the position we call the finish (it's what position you're in when you finish a stroke). The main difference between a normal finish when you're rowing and one when you're just sitting still is that you want the blades of the oars flat and resting on the water. This balances you out kind of like a water strider. Once your hands are back together and the oar is flat on the water you just balance back out. No need to slap the water or anything.

I'd post a picture of what the position looks like but I'm on my phone right now.

H0b0man on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Or you could just row faster. The faster the shell is moving the harder it is to flip one of those assuming you're not doing anything crazy with your form and rowing technique. Most of the time you feel like you might flip is getting off the dock and when you just start rowing from a standstill.

H0b0man on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I have come into ownership of a balance ball

Also I am going shopping tomorrow to try start and to stick to a rough meal plan. I am tired of being tired.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    @durax sorry if I sounded harsh. I was grumpy from not sleeping. I managed to pull something in my abdominal area as well which was really hurting. It sucks because I've had to just stop and let my body heal and it's been 4 days now and I've got just a little bit left thankfully.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I just got an email from my gym because apparently they didn’t have my contact info.
    “Please send us your phone and email, we don’t have them on file.”
    “Ok!” I think, “let me just reply to your ... email... wait.”

• Options
    I have my new shoes. They are incredibly comfy.

I should start getting to the gym sooner rather than later.

But it's cold out and I don't like the lockers too keep my jacket and stuff in... :bigfrown:

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Why not?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Why not?

I always forget the combination to my lock

This discussion has been closed.