Options

[Fitness and Weight Management]: It's a lifestyle

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Man I thought I had some good conditioning going on until I did a jump rope circuit interspersed with dead arm hangs. I was supposed to go through 2 times but I made it through the first pass and laid down on the floor and considered simply letting go of my will to live.

Good news! Your meatsack body will cling desperately to life, trapping you against your will!

This is worrisome news.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    i have been good at exercising this year

also i have gained 10 lbs and some of that must be muscle

but
    i need to get my ass in shape for snowboarding season which it is not

leg endurance and cardio are not the most enjoyable things to train

Bikes are cool

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Speaking of endurance, I have a black belt test in 3 days that I'm dreading like the plague.

Involves a 2 mile run, all the techniques in sequence, a ton of calisthenics, and possibly sparring if I'm (un)lucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMm5s6JKffw

American Kenpo, only took me about 20 years, lol.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Speaking of endurance, I have a black belt test in 3 days that I'm dreading like the plague.

Involves a 2 mile run, all the techniques in sequence, a ton of calisthenics, and possibly sparring if I'm (un)lucky.

So what you're saying is that you're an expert at fighting dirty :biggrin:

Is it just local belts passing you or are they bringing in traveling experts as well?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Sleep wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

So what you're saying is that you're an expert at fighting dirty :biggrin:

Is it just local belts passing you or are they bringing in traveling experts as well?

Local. ...unless he knows something I don't... he studies under the current Headmaster, though, and he studied under the founder, Ed Parker.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-3ZyQBCIUo

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    How to Slow Aging (and even reverse it) 21:09
    https://youtu.be/QRt7LjqJ45k

1. Avoid DNA damage
    2. Eat less
    3. Eat less protein
    4. High intensity exercise
    5. Be cold
    6. Be hot

Life is suffering

• Options
    I passed.

Ow.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    What if I don't want to do any of those?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Today was my last big race of the year, so of course I woke up with an inflamed toe.

I initially thought I could take some ibuprofen and still manage , so I head out to the race site. Realized that even walking was causing some pain, so there was no way I could manage 13 miles.

Had to bail, and waiting for my rail back to my car while watching other runners head towards the race start was def one of those moments where even though I know I'm doing the right thing it still majorly sucked.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Six months of working out and figuring out what I like to eat and how much I can eat/trial and error/some mild previous gymming about ten years ago.

6' 330ish on the left to 235isssh on the right

Double edit I fucked up the year, that's about a year and a half. Edited the weights to reflect the updated dates.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    way to go yo!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    How to Slow Aging (and even reverse it) 21:09
    https://youtu.be/QRt7LjqJ45k

1. Avoid DNA damage
    2. Eat less
    3. Eat less protein
    4. High intensity exercise
    5. Be cold
    6. Be hot

Life is suffering
    TheStig wrote: »
    What if I don't want to do any of those?

qy2z7do5nyc8.jpg

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    way to go yo!

Thank you. I'm feel like I'm really annoying my friends IRL and I'm okay without having outside validation for most things but I'm incredibly self conscious about weight loss and buffing up so I really honestly appreciate this.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I understand being self conscious about this, but you've seriously made a ton of progress. You look pretty great in your current picture.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Yeah! You are doing AWESOME and shouldn't feel bad about tooting your horn over it when you're pleased with your progress.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    The feeling of walking out of the gym all hot and sweaty, to sub-zero temperatures without a jacket or sweater, is amazing.

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »
    The feeling of walking out of the gym all hot and sweaty, to sub-zero temperatures without a jacket or sweater, is amazing.

So does your sweat like immediately freeze? I bet that would be 'gram worthy, be a jacked crystalline statue.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    It would probably have to be like, colder than -50 for an immediate freeze
    Everything's still liquid by the time I get to my car less than a minute later at -10

Edit: if your hair is wet, it will freeze in less than a minute at -10

Psykoma on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Similarly, going from being in a sauna to leaping directly into a cold pool is one of life’s great joys.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Don’t forget your sweat has a lower freezing temperature than plain water. We are sea creatures inside-out, after all.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Don’t forget your sweat has a lower freezing temperature than plain water. We are sea creatures inside-out, after all.

I'm an inside-out dugong?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

I'm an inside-out dugong?

You specifically? Yes.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    way to go yo!

Thank you. I'm feel like I'm really annoying my friends IRL and I'm okay without having outside validation for most things but I'm incredibly self conscious about weight loss and buffing up so I really honestly appreciate this.

You’re looking great Mal! Keep it up!

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    oh hey I got my knee looked at by a physio today, xx years after i probably should have

good news is there's no tendon damage, just a bunch of muscle weaknesses from the kneecap all the way up to my glutes. So in theory (and pending some improved motivation) I should be able to aim at half-marathon distances before too long, maybe by next summer.
    Buuuuut i'm gonna have to do daily strengthening exercises and if there's one thing I'm fucking terrible at, it's keeping up a routine.

maybe I should link it to my thrice-weekly bubble tea habit. "You want boba? get down on the floor and abduct that goddamn hip."

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    8.3km today and I don’t feel too bad after finishing! Furthest I’ve run consecutively in years. I’m on track to add 2km each week to make it to half marathon distance by March 1st, so I’ve been doing long runs on Saturday mornings, a shorter maintenance run on Monday, and either another run or Ring Fit Adventure on Wednesdays. Feels pretty good (once the run is over)!

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I've worked my legs to the point where I don't think I can wear these jeans anymore, so tight! Feels like my thighs are gonna burst out!

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    I've worked my legs to the point where I don't think I can wear these jeans anymore, so tight! Feels like my thighs are gonna burst out!

Time to start dropping stuff and suggestively picking it back up again?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

Time to start dropping stuff and suggestively picking it back up again?

The bend and snap!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm feeling really frustrated by my inability to get fit. I'm getting fatter every day and I constantly feel tired and crappy. But I need results to motivate myself to do things, and exercise takes too long to produce results, so I start exercising for like a week before I feel like I'm not achieving anything and give up. It doesn't help that whatever I try to do I feel like I'm probably not doing it right and should be doing something different instead.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    There are a lot of tried and tested programs I can recommend but it’s going to take at least 12 weeks commitment to notice results

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    That is the hardest part of exercising.
    The results are far into the future, while the tedium is forever.

This is why the best kind of exercise is the one you can keep going, just as the best diet is the one you can keep going.

I'm posting here because I am going back on the exercise train. 2019 was not a good year for my weight or exercise, but I reversed course 3 weeks ago, and am so far keeping it up.
    But the hard part is 2 months, 4 months, forever.

I think realistic goals are the most important part.
    For myself, it's these rules that I'm hoping to keep going:
    1 hour a day minimum of activity - bicycle or walking mostly. Walk during lunch breaks, take a detour after work. Go outside even on a rainy day.
    15 minutes of cardio exercise: Steps, jogging, squats. Mostly about getting some heartrate going. Excersises picked to strengthen legs, maybe pick up some small weight stuff to intensify it.

I never found anything I truely enjoyed, though score attacking running times got close. The upside of that is that initial progress is fast. If you do a 3/week running schedule, you can make big gains in the first 3 months. (From 2mins intervals to a 5k)

And 2000kcal, with the important part of less bad days. I'm ok on my own, but I am terrible on gamenights where other people fill tables with snacks. And my life slowly changed to having 2 of these a week on average in the last 5 years. Which is socially great but bad for my body.

I'm going to try to transition to a little bit more running, but my runners knee never fully cleared, so I need to keep it short. There's a combination of factors (around my literal crooked right leg, bad walking and running form, hard time finding perfect shoes with size 13 (wide), and 90kgs of weight, tall man problems) that can be mitigated but never fully solved.

But the alternatives don't seem for me either. I can't swim because of ear problems, I don't have space to store a racing cycle let alone an exercise bike. I have a shared storage but I don't trust expensive things to not get stolen. (And I don't want to deal with the maintenance), I fell of gyms twice already. I lose to much time to delaying going there, then being a slowpoke while there because I don't enjoy it.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So I own a garage gym now.

Honestly, I should’ve gotten this years ago.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Uhg. I wish I hadn't stepped on the scale this morning. Now I'm depressed.

I would go do a some exercise today but my neck has been bothering me for weeks now and I'd like to get that checked out first.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Man, I just avoid the scale during this time of year. Though, this year I manage to simply maintain and not just bloat like a pig.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

I would go do a some exercise today but my neck has been bothering me for weeks now and I'd like to get that checked out first.

Is the pain so bad you cant go out and walk?

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Man, I'm both proud and disappointed in myself this year.

On the upside, at the start of the year I decided along with a friend to run a race a month as a way to get back into running. And I did it! Actually ran 15 races, including a tough mudder and a half marathon that went into Canada and back! Even lead a group of people through C25K and their first 5k!

I also joined my climbing gym Climb Fit class, and attended regularly. Felt that I made some progress in technique and strength.

On the downside I gained 15 lbs and it really hit me when I saw some recent pictures. And it's all cause of my crappy diet. I just can't seem to break my mental blocks when it comes to not eating crappy and constantly justified it by saying that I was working out enough to offset my late night drinks and meals.

Oh well, onto 2020. Got a brand new scale, back on my fitness pal, cutting back on my beer intake, got some new fitness goal this year (Run 1000 miles and better half marathon time) and trying to be positive.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Uriel wrote: »

Is the pain so bad you cant go out and walk?

I can barely hold my neck upright today without pain. And it's hurting down the inside of my shoulder and down my bicep. I suppose I could, but I'm afraid I'll hurt or evert more.

• Options
    Even my dietician told me to hide my scale during the week of christmas

• Options
    I wish I had access to a dietician or someone for support.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I have started to do Yoga

And it feels really good. Yoga with Adriene on YouTube was where I was directed and she's great, started her 30 days of Yoga intro thing and it feels great, going to do loads for my climbing but also just develop my body in useful little ways. Gonna be a staple I think.

This discussion has been closed.