As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fitness and Weight Management]: It's a lifestyle

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Most fish is good and protein rich

Depending on your local availability; salmon is great, I like smoked mackerel for salads myself

Bagels and Lox is my favorite after workout brunch right now.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Also, getting a slow cooker has done wonders for my chicken game.

I have almoat completely quit trying to cook chicken breasts in the oven.

One reason why focusing on a higher protein content is that protein is the most satiating of the three big macros and also has a higher thermogenic effect, meaning your body has to burn more energy to digest and metabolize proteins as opposed to carbs or fat. If your goal is weight loss, do not skimp on your protein. It can be kinda daunting at first but it's definitely worth finding ways to get or get close to your daily protein intake.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Cross-posted from the webcomic thread, for some goddamn reason.
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Oh man, and James Beard's Chicken With 40 Cloves of Garlic works great with boneless chicken thighs. Assuming you don't have a pressing need to make new friends or in-person business contacts for like the next eighteen hours.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Well I got my butt kicking in today. Helped my dad build some deer fence to increase the run for our new dog. Had to manhandle 16 4" diameter 10ft long fence posts into position, and hold and level them while he drove them in with the tractor. Then packed cattle fence panels over to the fence area so he could hang them. Woof I'm pooped! Our dog's run is increasing from 250sq feet to 20,000sq feet though!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    An 80 times increase in space means you need to get 80 more dogs to use it. That’s just math.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    godmode wrote: »
    An 80 times increase in space means you need to get 80 more dogs to use it. That’s just math.

Fuck. this dog is a Maremma, which is a giant livestock guardian dog. He's 6 months old, 80lbs and still growing. This enclosure is still probably a couple acres too small. We're going to get some dwarf goats this summer so the dog can have a job to do. I've certainly increased my cardio taking him on walks and stuff. Also he is big enough that he can keep up with our ATV, so I'll take him on runs to get him winded. He has so much energy.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Lost three pounds in two weeks which I'm quite happy with!

Managing to do more reps on the weights routine I've gotten from YouTube. Admittedly it's a low weight and a beginner routine but it's reminded me of how much I used to enjoy doing weights at the gym.

Gonna look for more advanced routines in a few weeks.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    That chocolate knife video went into some places, I tell you 'whut.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    That chocolate knife video went into some places, I tell you 'whut.

Yeah most of them end in a much more straightforward way but that one's got a turn, it's true.

I got my heavy bag filled and hung today and it's a lot of fun to exercise that way, lemme tell you what. It's not heavy enough with what I put in it, that much was clear, so I will have to find some way to accomplish that but it's still pretty great.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Did more swimming today. No real laps or anything but was in the water for about two hours.

Did a lot of leg lifts and crunches and push ups and things though. Stuff that's easier to do in water for me, but hard on land in gravity.

Sauna was way way way too hot and humid for me, I really struggled to breathe. But the hot tub with the jets was amazing.

• Options
    DessertedDesserted Dessert desertRegistered User regular
    Decided fairly late in the day that I wanted to go for a hike and ended up getting to the trail around 3ish.

Got to this spot where there are about 10 holes that have been ground into some rock, which was supposedly used to grind up various things for food way back when? No idea if that's true, but that's what I'm told and I could see it! Hung out here for about half an hour and then it started to get dark so I went back. I think that was my first time hiking in the dark and it was pretty cool once my fear of being mauled by a hiding mountain lion went away! Started hearing some owls and bats waking up and doing their thing.

Hiked a bit over 5 miles. Felt better than it did last time I was out there, at least as far as my legs not feeling achy, my cardio still kind of sucks. Progress!

However, when I got back to my car there was another person there that had passed me while I was hanging out and he told me that a few of the cars had been broken into (his included). Walked over to my car and the driver side window was smashed, which sucks but didn't bother me too much at the time. There was one thing worth anything in the car when the person broke in, not counting the small amount of change in the cup holder, and it was a Starbucks gift card. They didn't take it! What they did take were some mints, a phone charging cable, and my climbing tape, which were all in the center console with the gift card.

People are weird. Hikes are awesome.

Going to try and do a slow mile tomorrow if my legs aren't too achy. More frequent less intense activity is the current goal.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    I did oj for the first like 5 days or so.

I still have a v8 fusion with energy every morning to wake up though too.

What really sucks is claw keeping all this dr pepper right out in line of sight every day... I want to drink one so bad

On that specifically, can you give it away? There's no reason to torture yourself. The choice is yours cold turkey or tapering off, but it's just that much harder to ignore if you just have a bunch lying around.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I wonder how much of my current extra weight relative to where I used to float eating like this is because I cut back on diet soda...and replaced the difference with coffee and tea, neither of which I drink without cream or creamer.

That said, cutting regular soda is very important, probably the most important thing you can do if you drink a lot. The first time I tried to lose weight, I went from 240ish to like 210 just switching to diet soda with zero other changes. It was disgusting at first (and tore up my stomach for a few days as my gut flora went wild), but now I think normal soda is the gross one with a weird aftertaste and unpleasant syrupiness.

So if you absolutely can't break the habit clean, consider that you might be able to get used to diet soda. Especially if you're desperate for a soda at some point. Drinking neither (and not drinking calories anywhere else) would be much better, of course.

Kamar on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I found a great sparkling water down here called NZ Natural. It's literally sparkling water with a smidge of flavour. I got raspberry and lemon.

I got little 250ml cans and they're just perfect for satisfying an afternoon in summer need for refreshing drink. No sugar, no sweetener of any kind. Just a light hit of bubbles and send raspberry flavour.

Other than that I've switched my day drinking to almost all water, but I will still have a hot tea in the morning and maybe at night.

I'm finding that a tea with vanilla flavouring is really good at helping me resist the cravings for sweet dessert at night.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I did oj for the first like 5 days or so.

I still have a v8 fusion with energy every morning to wake up though too.

What really sucks is claw keeping all this dr pepper right out in line of sight every day... I want to drink one so bad

On that specifically, can you give it away? There's no reason to torture yourself. The choice is yours cold turkey or tapering off, but it's just that much harder to ignore if you just have a bunch lying around.

No it belongs to Clawshrimpy, and they don't want to quit so I just have to stare at their soda in the kitchen and fridge every day.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Did this workout today on a lark:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZYw0SBqjqI

Halp I'm dying the core work killed me.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    One of the small blessings of the pandemic is that with no access to a treadmill, I been forced to run outdoors regardless of the weather.

I'm in Texas, so it's not like I'm running in the snow, but 30's feels still very cold to me, and before I would have just noped out of the run. Now I get up and do it.

• Options
    It says beginner friendly. It lies. I'm not a beginner and it was awfuuuul.

Can't wait to do it again next sunday.

• Options
    Weigh in this morning has me at 135.6kg/298lbs.

I started this journey at 138/304.

I'm very very very excited.

Marathon not sprint, but it still seems to be working.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Steady progress! That's what you want

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    cleaning the toilet and shower counts as a workout right? uhhg

doesn't help my cpap has been fighting with me the past few nights which is kicking my ass. I managed like 3 hours on it last night that's all. slept the rest without it which is bad for me.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Speaking of steady progress, home workout continues at a decent pace

I have had to try to find some new fingerboarding routines as my existing ones are all getting a bit too easy. The core routine is getting easier but still pushes me and the technique for bicycle crunches is still hard for me. Need to just practise that movement I think. Once I can do the entire routine and feel like okay that was hard but I did everything with good form right through, then I'll just... add a repeated superset. Thrash that core! I did the lock-offs without dropping before the 30 seconds were up and I have some resistance bands arriving tomorrow.

Resistance bands will be used to do assisted one-armed pull-ups. Hell yeahhh I am excited for those. I want to really mix up my pull-up routine; lots of weighted (4x4 of 12kgs tomorrow!), assisted one arms, wide grip ones to hammer my lats etc.

Solar on
  • Options
    I did she things that I think were bicycle crunches this weekend. But I was in a pool, so it wasn't painful

But my abs still feel like I punched them. So I must be doing something right

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I find them damn hard!

This seems to be a good explanation which I am going to be following

Also fuck me how strong is this woman's core god damn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwyvozckjak&ab_channel=Howcast

Solar on
  • Options

I can't even get my stomach into that position. There's too much fat in the way.

Also I just noticed that from all the yoga and then building the bed on the weekend

I have bruises on my knees.

That's less fun than it sounds.

• Options
    There are other ways you could strengthen your core that would not be so uncomfortable, I am sure!

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2021
    Expanding my mace repertoire. This one was fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQMjvWU8K94

Echo on
  • Options
    You could try an ab brace exercise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_2ImNPjxtc

One of the other variations of this is to rest a swiss ball/exercise ball on your stomach, with your hands resting on top, and pushing the ball towards your thighs. It adds a little intensity to the exercise and can help you build up to the starter position in the video Solar posted (hips and knees at 90 degrees). A cushion or two would probably work the same if you don't have an exercise ball around.

Ab workouts are the best and also the worst.

• Options
    I hate exercising my core because ab pain is different but when I've done a core exercise and all the muscles are all swollen and aching, it does make me feel like I've properly worked out and pushed myself

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Expanding my mace repertoir. This one was fun.

video

How heavy of a mace are you working with? I've got a mace coming next Friday and I'm looking forward to this kind of thing.

• Options
    Right now I'm just focusing on pulling my stomach muscles in while doing other things.

Like the walk at home thing has you do knee lifts and if you follow the moves right is kinda like a standing crunch, c which doesn't hurt so bad.

I need to get rid of the rolls just a little bit more.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Night shifts really test my eating routine.

Whilst I've still hit my calorie target for today a lot of that has been made up by bread. Just feel so drained which makes me crave carbs.

• Options
    Unfortunately it generally goes that the stomach is a place the body simply LOVES to store fast, and it's often the last place you notice any real visual changes. That was certainly true in my case. I want to say it took... 3-4 years? For my stomach to actually start flattening.

That said, I didn't make diet a priory until a few years in, and probably would have saved a bunch of time if I did.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »

video

How heavy of a mace are you working with? I've got a mace coming next Friday and I'm looking forward to this kind of thing.

5 kilos (11 pounds or thereabout). It's fine for mostly everything I do - it's about the movement complexity, not having a big weight.

I have 4, 5, 6 and 7.5 kilo maces, but the 5kg one is the one I mostly stick with.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »

video

5 kilos (11 pounds or thereabout). It's fine for mostly everything I do - it's about the movement complexity, not having a big weight.

I have 4, 5, 6 and 7.5 kilo maces, but the 5kg one is the one I mostly stick with.

So what's the difference between buying a mace and buying a sledgehammer?

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So what's the difference between buying a mace and buying a sledgehammer?

For swinging purposes, usually length of the handle. My maces are a bit over 1 meter, around 41 inches or so. Maces are probably also a bit easier to control since they're round, so you don't have to catch the sledge head in some weird angle in case it's moving towards your face at high speed.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I ran a mile and a half on the treadmill today, soaked through my damn shirt with sweat

Feels good

• Options
    Well after about 8 months of not doing yoga I have forgotten much of the sequence that I use to do. Also, my left shoulder is pretty dang stiff right now! Child's pose isn't supposed to be painful dangit.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Hey folks if I am struggling to do 3 pullups consecutively and is able to do 5 if I land my feet for a sec between each pulls which is better to do as sets? I am setting my target to do 6 consecutive ones. Also I have no real clue on how to properly train aside from youtube videos and don't really want to go to the gym because they are really intimidating. Not trying to be swole though, just want to be moderately strong and fit

• Options
    Bench came in today! Time to assemble and try my weight routine with it. :D

This discussion has been closed.