As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fitness and Weight Management]: It's a lifestyle

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Arnie would be proud

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    It's almost 7 pm and I'm about 1500 calories under my deficit so I'm gonna fill in the gaps with hot wings this is how nutrition works shut up fuck you

Real talk, one benefit of doing calorie tracking is I'm realizing that I pretty severely undereat on my days off. At least while at work (on 1st shift, 3rd is a little more difficult) I have 12 hours where I almost always eat lunch, have a snack, and then take a quick break to eat my "dinner" at almost the exact same times.

My days off I eat my pre-workout meal and then... I dunno what really happens? I eat a plain tortilla and call it a day? I graze more than I eat meals and I've consistently hit less than 2000 calories on those days. I think that's low enough my metabolism is basically shutting down and it's making recomping hard as fuck.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    It's almost 7 pm and I'm about 1500 calories under my deficit so I'm gonna fill in the gaps with hot wings this is how nutrition works shut up fuck you

Real talk, one benefit of doing calorie tracking is I'm realizing that I pretty severely undereat on my days off. At least while at work (on 1st shift, 3rd is a little more difficult) I have 12 hours where I almost always eat lunch, have a snack, and then take a quick break to eat my "dinner" at almost the exact same times.

My days off I eat my pre-workout meal and then... I dunno what really happens? I eat a plain tortilla and call it a day? I graze more than I eat meals and I've consistently hit less than 2000 calories on those days. I think that's low enough my metabolism is basically shutting down and it's making recomping hard as fuck.

I've been doing recomp since July and I've lost like 35 pounds overall while maintaining seemingly all of my lean mass. You want to aim for a 10-35% caloric deficit while getting 1.6-2.1 grams of protein per KG of bodyweight. If you feel like your metabolism is slowing down take a planned diet break and eat at or slightly above maintenance for 10-14 days, ideally as close to two weeks as possible. In general it's recommended that you take a diet break every 6-16 weeks.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I think my maintenence level is about 3100+ so I'm starting at 2800 for my deficit for a few weeks and then adjusting from there, up or down depending. I'm banking about 250-270 grams of protein per day which puts me at about the 1.3% range. Honestly going up any more is gonna have me chugging shakes all day long. I'm already having to do about 3 on top of my high protein meal preps.

I'm in pretty decent shape but I've got some stubborn fat that won't go away so I'm trying to focus more on protein and carbs than lipids and I seem to be doing a good job on that front at least. I've just never really tracked my calories before and I'm seeing some interesting trends that I hadn't noticed.

Once I get a good handle on it I plan on not tracking anymore but it's proving useful to establish some baselines for how I need to eat.

• Options
    DessertedDesserted Dessert desertRegistered User regular
    I think I've been adding to my running too much lately. Went for a run this morning and it was noticeably more challenging than when I did the same route/pace last week.

Is it too much to ask to get in almost half decent shape once and then stay that way?

Had also planned on climbing this weekend, but it looks like rain is still in the forecast.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh yeah, I think my maintenence level is about 3100+ so I'm starting at 2800 for my deficit for a few weeks and then adjusting from there, up or down depending.

This is the problem with hanging out with dudes a lot when their “whoops I forgot to eat” intake is the same as your “whoops I just gained 5kg in a month” intake and they’re all “oh huh you don’t eat much” and you’re all “bitch you have the metabolism of a small wood burning stove , I just watched you eat six eggs for lunch get the hell out of here”

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Desserted wrote: »
    I think I've been adding to my running too much lately. Went for a run this morning and it was noticeably more challenging than when I did the same route/pace last week.

Is it too much to ask to get in almost half decent shape once and then stay that way?

Had also planned on climbing this weekend, but it looks like rain is still in the forecast.

I personally try not to get hung up too much on pace, because then I start to doubt myself that I'm getting "in shape" when there's really no cause for concern, and I lose motivation. There are a lot of different contributing factors, so unless you're a total monk, follow the exact same routine every day, get the same amount of sleep, eat the same food, drink the same amount of water, etc., etc., then the way you feel will naturally vary. Assuming you're not trying to be a racer and going specifically for time, it's really not a huge deal.
    For example, my last PR run time was recorded after I hadn't run in weeks, and irregularly for months before that. I was not expecting it to go well at all. Then I have days where it's mid-week and I've been running regularly for months, but my time still shoots up for no perceivable reason and I struggle as if I'd just started.
    I would try not to get hung up on it if I were you. Just focus on completing your target distance, no matter how long it takes, and you'll still get the benefits. As long as you keep doing it, there will be positive results.

• Options
    Six Eggs For Lunch is the name of my indie pop roots rock fusion band.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    is 6 eggs a lot?

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    totally read that as Pop Rocks fusion band and yeah...

I might need some sleep

• Options
    is 6 eggs a lot?

I've started buying egg whites so I just kinda... pour until I think I've got enough. I'm eating anywhere from 1 to 14 eggs at any given time I haven't got a fucking clue.

• Options
    Like to start my mornings off with a little

C H A O S

• Options
    is 6 eggs a lot?

I've started buying egg whites so I just kinda... pour until I think I've got enough. I'm eating anywhere from 1 to 14 eggs at any given time I haven't got a fucking clue.

But the yolk is the best part!

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    is 6 eggs a lot?

Only if it's cooked solid. Get that runny stuff outta here

• Options
    godmode wrote: »
    Desserted wrote: »

I personally try not to get hung up too much on pace, because then I start to doubt myself that I'm getting "in shape" when there's really no cause for concern, and I lose motivation. There are a lot of different contributing factors, so unless you're a total monk, follow the exact same routine every day, get the same amount of sleep, eat the same food, drink the same amount of water, etc., etc., then the way you feel will naturally vary. Assuming you're not trying to be a racer and going specifically for time, it's really not a huge deal.
    For example, my last PR run time was recorded after I hadn't run in weeks, and irregularly for months before that. I was not expecting it to go well at all. Then I have days where it's mid-week and I've been running regularly for months, but my time still shoots up for no perceivable reason and I struggle as if I'd just started.
    I would try not to get hung up on it if I were you. Just focus on completing your target distance, no matter how long it takes, and you'll still get the benefits. As long as you keep doing it, there will be positive results.

Yeah I usually don't get too hung up on pace, but I do keep track of it to gauge where my body is at. I'm not training for anything and don't have any specific goals other than to wake up and decide I want to go run 7-15 miles in the mountains because why not. Although it would be cool to do a Ragnar Trail run at some point... almost had a full team together for it last year, but then covid.

• Options
    If I got halfway decent into running I'd probably go trail or fell running and that'd be well cool

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    my dr office did not weigh me afterall. considering stepping on my scale this morning. just took my morning poo afterall...

I am afraid it'll be up again though I haven't been doing super the past week. still not back on pop but been snacking a lot and not been so diligent on tracking every meal.

e : yep... I'm back up almost ten pounds... dammit.

I think it might be more helpful for me to weigh myself just one time a week but not worry much about it, and just find the arithmetic mean of the weigh ins at the end of each month and just focus on that.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    is 6 eggs a lot?

Then where do you dip your toast?

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Runny egg yolk is a delicious sauce in a wide range of cuisine. But the texture certainly isn't for everyone.

• Options
    Runny egg yolk is the best

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Uriel wrote: »
    my dr office did not weigh me afterall. considering stepping on my scale this morning. just took my morning poo afterall...

I am afraid it'll be up again though I haven't been doing super the past week. still not back on pop but been snacking a lot and not been so diligent on tracking every meal.

I think it might be more helpful for me to weigh myself just one time a week but not worry much about it, and just find the arithmetic mean of the weigh ins at the end of each month and just focus on that.

That would probably be a shift of water weight. It's hard to tell if you weigh infrequently, but 10 sounds like an implausible amount of actual weight to gain in a week? I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong but Google suggests even 3-4 would be a big gain.

I'm probably an outlier here, but I can literally shift ten pounds within the same day because of water weight.

Kamar on
  • Options

Right now I weigh myself every morning, and write it on the calendar. Then, at the end of the month, I look at the trend rather than the mean. You should be able to, over the weeks each month and the months each year, see a trend roughly in gaining or losing weight. Remember, all data is good data. It's telling you the truth of the situation. If you are gaining weight over time, it lets you know you need to adjust both your diet and exercise to get back in the direction you want to go.

But also remember, you are a human and not a robot. While I've been trending the direction I want to go, I had a big professional-life milestone last Friday and cheated on my diet on Friday, Saturday, and yesterday during the inauguration and my averages are ticking up again a bit. That's fine, I'm back on path today and working back in the right direction. These things happen! Stay on track as much as you can.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    One other thing: hunger and weight loss are sorta connected. Not in a "I'm gonna starve myself like Gwenneth Paltrow on a week-long juice cleanse" but in a "maybe don't eat or snack until you hear your stomach actually growl" rather than "feeling hungry," which is usually an appetite trigger rather than a hunger trigger. Take this with caution, because every body is very different, but from everything I've seen in my life and progress, and every trainer I've met with or seen online, all pretty much agree that some degree of hunger is required for actually losing weight. Not sustained hunger, but training your appetite response to actually correlate with physical hunger rather than mental cravings.

That said, after a burboun or two I've been known to desperately search through my pantry for snacks I don't need AND SO all I have in there are things that take time to cook or little, annoyingly difficult to open yogurt raisin 100 cal boxes. Too annoying to try and get through more than one for Drunk Enc, but not bad enough to set me back meaningfully if drunk Enc manages to maintain motor skills and concentration to break through to the delicious raisins inside.

Enc on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    is 6 eggs a lot?

Then where do you dip your toast?

The leftover hot sauce of course

• Options
    I love eggs but the egg whites are just a convenience thing. I can wake up bleary eyed and semi conscious, pour a bowl and microwave it in 2 minutes and be eating.

I need probably another week of weigh ins but I seem to be trending downward. Started at 213-14, peaked at 215 a few days later then back down until today I was right at 210. Hopefully that's not just water weight and means I'm more or less in the groove with my nutrition.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    does anyone know if you can get abdominal soreness/strain from biking?

I've been pushing myself somewhat hard on the Peleton, and rather than feeling in my legs, as often I instead get tenderness in my ribs... i don't have any other explanation as to why I would feel sore there, but the location seems odd given the activity

What part of your abs hurt?

If its your mid back, you may be hunching your shoulders

If its your abs/rib area, your hip flexors/psoas (which are getting a helluva workout on a bike) extend all the way up to attach at your lumbar spine and might need a stretch

• Options
    I love eggs but the egg whites are just a convenience thing. I can wake up bleary eyed and semi conscious, pour a bowl and microwave it in 2 minutes and be eating.

I need probably another week of weigh ins but I seem to be trending downward. Started at 213-14, peaked at 215 a few days later then back down until today I was right at 210. Hopefully that's not just water weight and means I'm more or less in the groove with my nutrition.

I just scramble a dozen eggs and a pound of deer sausage on Sunday night and portion it out for breakfast over the work week. Add tortillas or pico as necessary.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

I just scramble a dozen eggs and a pound of deer sausage on Sunday night and portion it out for breakfast over the work week. Add tortillas or pico as necessary.

I like making egg scramble cupcakes. Egg, meat, some onion and bell peppers (the frozen medley is nice for this). Bake in the oven until done and good to go!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    unfortunately daily weighing in will most likely trigger my hyper focus and burn me out again really fast

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »

That would probably be a shift of water weight. It's hard to tell if you weigh infrequently, but 10 sounds like an implausible amount of actual weight to gain in a week? I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong but Google suggests even 3-4 would be a big gain.

I'm probably an outlier here, but I can literally shift ten pounds within the same day because of water weight.

Water and to a less extent food weight is by far the biggest day to day factor in weight. 1 pound is about 3,500 calories. I burn about 3,000 to 3,500 calories per typical day. I’d therefore need to eat 6,500 to 7,000 calories to gain a pound in a day. That’s technically possible for me - I’m pretty sure that I did it on Christmas Day - but pretty difficult to sustain. But my weight has fluctuated this week alone between 198 to 193.

One cup of fluid is 237 ml. 12 cups is 2.8 litres. 2.8 litres is 2.8 kilograms, which is about six pounds. I drink that in coffee alone in the mornings. I drink at least another 3 litres of fluid throughout the day. That’s about 6 kilos or about 12 pounds of fluid entering my system. And then food has its own weight; I easily eat at least three pounds of food most days.

Basically, the number on the scale doesn’t mean anything on a daily basis. It’s only as part of a trend that it has any meaning.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Well, I just hit my new weight loss goal. I was 205 in June when I started, and I got to 160 in December. Told myself to shoot for 150 and today I hit it. My weight does fluctuate (one of the reasons i weigh myself daily) so I'll give it a few more days to make sure it sticks.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I'll do with myself and health now. Losing weight is pretty much what I always thought about when it comes to health but I know it's time to start concentrating elsewhere. I'm just a bit under 5'9, so I should probably only try to get to 145 max if anything.

My body still doesn't look like I want it to look, so probably means I have to work on that, but I know that's also going to be harder than just counting calories.

At least I have workout goals to keep aiming for, so that'll be a good way to keep healthily engaged.

• Options
    Strength goals are good, and are much more fun than weight loss :D

• Options
    Nice work Kyougu, that's awesome!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Well, I just hit my new weight loss goal. I was 205 in June when I started, and I got to 160 in December. Told myself to shoot for 150 and today I hit it. My weight does fluctuate (one of the reasons i weigh myself daily) so I'll give it a few more days to make sure it sticks.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I'll do with myself and health now. Losing weight is pretty much what I always thought about when it comes to health but I know it's time to start concentrating elsewhere. I'm just a bit under 5'9, so I should probably only try to get to 145 max if anything.

My body still doesn't look like I want it to look, so probably means I have to work on that, but I know that's also going to be harder than just counting calories.

At least I have workout goals to keep aiming for, so that'll be a good way to keep healthily engaged.

Pick some sort of physical activity and start training towards it! Lifting weights, rock climbing, iron man, tough mudder, hiking, biking... whatever!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I achieved a goal today! I ran two miles without taking a break to walk. I'm feeling very satisfied.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i am trying to get back in shape

after almost a year of inactivity

i've basically been trying to make myself go on walks, do basic at home pilates or yoga or something for 20-30m, and go on bike rides

(i finally started riding a bike after 20 years of not riding a bike!!! i love riding a bike!! why didn't i start earlier?? oh right, the same things that still scare me now, insane NYC drivers and terrible biking infrastructure and i could go on and on about this, but now I'm experiencing it firsthand... but it's still fun!!! but it could be so much better!!! eat my butt robert moses and car culture!!! - i've also been going through the power broker on audiobook. what a doozy. gosh i really hate how many cars there are in this city / free parking everywhere.)

just trying to build momentum again. finally accepting that i have to start small, not try and aim too high. 2020 was tough, i lost most of my strength and fitness, and obv the other challenges, global and personal.

so.. starting with this. trying to close rings on my apple watch. get 7+ hours of sleep a night. and do walks, bikes, and 20-30m workouts. no ambitious goals, just easy stuff. movement and momentum is the goal

poo
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Maximum pull ups finally went from 3 to 4 after being stuck for ages

I finally understand how it feels like to transcend the boundaries of human limitations...

• Options
    Peas wrote: »
    Maximum pull ups finally went from 3 to 4 after being stuck for ages

I finally understand how it feels like to transcend the boundaries of human limitations...

If you think about it, you've improved your muscular power endurance by a third to do that. Substantial and impressive!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm finally getting my custom orthotics today!

maybe I'll finally be able to do fitness stuff that I actually enjoy now!

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I should have hung a heavy bag way sooner than this, boy it's fun. 10/10, would recommend.

This discussion has been closed.