Options

[GW2] Third Expansion Announced - End of Dragons! We're going to Cantha!

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Jeez, I was gonna get to LS4 later after I replayed PoF, but it sounds like there's some promising meta-ish events in the new zone. Merhaps I should at least unlock it to take a looksie. I am comically broke.

• Options
    LeandriellLeandriell Registered User regular
    So, after this Reddit post on how Magic Find affects identifying Unidentified Gear: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7kzy76/for_science_ab_testing_the_profit_impact_of_magic/

I decided to go do a Pawaladan/Mordant Crescent Great Hall run, followed by a Silverwastes run just for the Magic Find you get after killing the Vinewrath.

As a purely anecdotal addition to the above research... it's worth it. It's SUPER worth it. I got two named exotic drops (Jaws of Death and Handheld Disaster) and something like six other generic Exotics, plus a whole bunch of rares. So while I'm not the type to farm for gold all the time, I still think this may become my usual "I'm bored I'mma just do some metas!" party. Especially if it continues to help me fill out dropped weapon skins.

Mild warning!

I did the "open unids with max magic find" a few weeks or so ago as I'd been saving up unidid items since PoF dropped. Took like an hour to open everything ==> salvage/deposit --> repeat. Make sure you have as much inv space as possible to save your sanity!!!

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Kylindra wrote: »
    Hey @Kylindra , @ky13 or any other people with permission to do things with the Guild Hall -- we now have ALL the materials for the Guild Hall Decorations Merchant 3! If someone could pull the trigger on that, it'd be amazing.

Done! Enjoy, folks. :)

I've also triggered some the WvW upgrades I know folks have been asking about! For the last few we need more Elder Wood (the decorations merch needed a tonne which depleted our stock), thick leather, some various papers, and if we really want Objective Aura 7 (probably overkill for us), we'll need mystic coins ans a couple of glacial lodestones.

Edit: Thanks for the donations so far! Sent 2 more upgrades out and we got a guild level! woo!

Leandriell on
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Let me know if you need more silver ore Lea.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    I'm good thanks ;) /headdesk

(I mention ONE time offhand I needed a handful of silver ore to finish Aurora.. many months later, and Aurora long finished, I'm still getting sent it ;) )

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    So today I patiently spent two hours teaching some new-ish folks how to do Shattered Observatory #75.

on the one hand, warm fuzzies! They did it! They learned them some mechanics! They got gud!

on the other aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Leandriell wrote: »
    I'm good thanks ;) /headdesk

(I mention ONE time offhand I needed a handful of silver ore to finish Aurora.. many months later, and Aurora long finished, I'm still getting sent it ;) )

Well at least you can’t say people don’t care.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I'm tired of Scourges kicking my ass in sPvP, so I'm thinking of trying out the Firebrand as I heard that it's a great counter to the Scourge. With that said, I've never used Mantras before really, so does anyone have advice on how those *work* as a whole? Including advice from Mesmers; even if Guard mantras have different functions, it's still similar in principle iirc.

@naengwen ?

*edit* It looks like Tomes are a cross between a Kit and the ele's Summoned Weapons, so I kinda get it, but advice there is still welcome.

*edit2* ... /slowly gets hype

it's a smite monk

it's my old smite monk :D:D:D

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I'm tired of Scourges kicking my ass in sPvP, so I'm thinking of trying out the Firebrand as I heard that it's a great counter to the Scourge. With that said, I've never used Mantras before really, so does anyone have advice on how those *work* as a whole? Including advice from Mesmers; even if Guard mantras have different functions, it's still similar in principle iirc.

@naengwen ?

*edit* It looks like Tomes are a cross between a Kit and the ele's Summoned Weapons, so I kinda get it, but advice there is still welcome.

*edit2* ... /slowly gets hype

it's a smite monk

it's my old smite monk :D:D:D

Pretty much. Regarding mantras, they're a bit different on guardians. The setup is the same: long cast time, charges on your ammo bar when you charge, if you don't use them beyond a charge or two they'll eventually regen their charges. Differences with guardians are as follows:

1) Guardian Mantras have a "Finisher" charge for their mantras which are more powerful than the other charges, but also puts the skill on a larger cooldown.
    2) If you use a single charge or two for guardian mantras, the recharge time for a single ammo charge is a lot shorter than mesmer mantras.
    3) Mantras have an overcharge when you first cast them. The mesmer overcharges are pretty dang powerful; pain gives 12 stacks of might, distraction reduces cooldown of diversion, resolve clears all of your conditions, and healing pulses an extra 2-3k HP on you.

You want to be careful when you cast your mantras because they are incredibly easy to interrupt. Otherwise they're pretty dang useful, and for high burst firebrand builds to maintain damage during their tome cooldowns, a necessity.

naengwen on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    In a way, using Mantras is being in cooldown hell. You've got the normal cooldown, which only starts after you've used the Final Charge of your Mantra, after which you've gotta find the time and opportunity to do the lengthy Mantra charging / chanting animation before you can actually use the Mantra's charges again. But you've also got Charge Recovery, where the charges will recharge on their own as long as you don't use the Final Charge, which has a buffed effect for Firebrands. So you can find yourself in opportunity cost situations where you want to use a Mantra charge, but you've only got the Final Charge left with two seconds remaining before getting a charge back. Nothing as bad as having to keep track of the cooldowns on various Engy Kit skills, but it's something to keep in mind.

Now, Firebrands have sane Charge Recovery times, in that they're generally about half the time of the Mantra's cooldown. Which means if you finish a fight with one or two charges left, it's almost always better to rely on Charge Recovery instead of popping the Final Charge and recasting the Mantra. Mesmers aren't so lucky, in that their Charge Recovery is typically twice the Mantra cooldown. This is (supposedly) balanced by Mesmer Mantras giving an effect at the moment they reach full charges (Overcharge, as Naengwen called it), which is something Firebrands Mantras do not get.

A big thing about Mantras is that you can use a charge during another skill's activation. That is, it's an instant effect that doesn't interrupt another skill that you're doing at the time you use it. Kinda like Mesmer shatters in that respect. So you can even use charges from one Mantra while charging up a different Mantra. It used to be that charges invoked a global cooldown when used unless you used them while another skill was activating (kinda like an inverted animation canceling), but that seems to have gotten removed. They do have their own charge cooldowns though, so you can't instantly spam all three charges of a Mantra in one instant.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    Quick reminder folks, Guild Missions will be restarting on Sunday! Super easy week as well, so come for lots of free loot!

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Dear god, crafting 450 fulgurite takes forever. Just a minor headache compared to the rest of the horrible grind that is making a full set of viper gear, but it's kind of kicking you while you are down.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Dear god, crafting 450 fulgurite takes forever. Just a minor headache compared to the rest of the horrible grind that is making a full set of viper gear, but it's kind of kicking you while you are down.

There are reasons most people recommend making viper by making another ascended set and then using the mystic forge to transmute it into viper and fulgurite is one of the reasons.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Welp, finally got the Gift of HOPE. Now I still need to get 171 Crystalline Ingots, 81 more Crystalline Ore, and at least 268 Mystic Coins (a minimum of 18 for Clovers, then 250 for the rest). Ughhhhhhhhhhhh.

• Options
    @Lucid_Seraph Get clovers from your monthly log in reward and/or pvp and wvw tracks, works out a lot less faff for smaller quanitities

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »

There are reasons most people recommend making viper by making another ascended set and then using the mystic forge to transmute it into viper and fulgurite is one of the reasons.

It would be nice to know that before I went ahead and crafted a full set!

I probably will do it for the weapons though, I am rather poor after buying several thousand leather scraps.

• Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    There is currently a [Customer Appreciation Package] on the BLTC. It holds 1 key & chest.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    Yep, patch notes:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/23938/game-release-notes-january-9-2018#latest

Big things:

1. Current events are back!
    2. Aforementioned free stuff
    3. The Garden package from the Gem Store seems quite nice actually.

• Options
    I got... a dye kit with a common dye in the free chest... whoo.... ;)

• Options
    KylindraKylindra Registered User regular

The new statuettes in the Black Lion Chest are...a thing.

They can be used to buy nearly any non-rare drop from BLCs. So you always know you'll get what you're looking for after X tries. And this introduces so many exchange rates. Like.....a huge amount of math needs to be done.

I hope someone makes a spreadsheet showing which items are cheaper to buy with statuettes and which are cheaper to buy with gold....also there's some surprising things on the list of buyables now that have disturbing implications. Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlocks, for example. My brain.....

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Torn between getting a garden in my home instance and hanging onto gems in hope of bag slot sales! Anyone got a garden yet? ;)

Leandriell on
  • Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular

They can be used to buy nearly any non-rare drop from BLCs. So you always know you'll get what you're looking for after X tries. And this introduces so many exchange rates. Like.....a huge amount of math needs to be done.

I hope someone makes a spreadsheet showing which items are cheaper to buy with statuettes and which are cheaper to buy with gold....also there's some surprising things on the list of buyables now that have disturbing implications. Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlocks, for example. My brain.....

The spreadsheets are calling you, Sage. They thirst for blood and decimals.

• Options
    Worht noting a lot of Black Lion dyes have dropped in price with the free key - you can use the wardrobe unlock analyser to check what you#re missing and what you can get for <n gold.

Analyser: http://immortius.net.au/guaranteed-wardrobe-unlock/#analyse

• Options
    Someone has done the maths on Gardening in game. https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7pfp6f/research_black_lion_garden_profitability/
    TL:DR not worth it

• Options
    KylindraKylindra Registered User regular

The spreadsheets are calling you, Sage. They thirst for blood and decimals.

I manged to resist the call of spreadsheets, but I did do some light analysis on what's available via statuettes and what's not.

The list of things that you can buy with statuettes that was not previously available via direct purchase with gold or gems (or for boxes, whose contents were unavailable):

That's it. That's the whole list. Everything else was already either available on the TP or as an individual purchase in the gem store.

Other interesting things to note:
    • The statuettes mostly offer only "common" drops from chests, with a few exceptions like weapon tickets
    • Only a few of the permanent nodes are now in the chest, the rest are statutette-only (though you can still buy them with gold on the TP)
    • A few "common" items are missing from the statuette offerings, notably the new Tyria Exchange Vouchers, which offer a choice of a decent amount of map or dungeon currency
    • Permanent finishers are now statuette/gold only
    • Boosters are not in the chest and only available via direct gem purchase (this may have happened awhile ago, but worth noting)
    • The Green Raptor Hatchling, which was previously the limited-time chest guaranteed item, is now available for statuettes
    • The "Special Items" tab includes various chest-exclusive items from various points in time, although nothing super ancient

I have a feeling that the statuette's offerings will change over time, particularly the Special Items tab. I doubt it'll ever include any of the "Super Rare" drops (permanent contracts), because if they did they'd have to offer it for an amount that would make it obvious just how rare of a drop those are.

In general, I think the statuette is a small step in the right direction of removing variability from chest drops, although it also does reduce the number of overall drops from a chest by replacing one of them with a statuette instead. I think it's a good trade, though. Aetros and I both opened 25 chests each last night, and we both felt like it was a better experience than in the past. There's only a few truly worthless results left in chests (salvage kits, revive orbs) and every time I got one of those its companion item was an Unlock, which is one of the better common results. Overall, good stuff.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Did something provide a new source of Jade weapon skins? I’ve had a lowball buy order placed for quite some time and it finally got fulfilled.

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    They're back in Black Lion Chests for now.

• Options
    Side note: they stealth-patched Pawaladan to be a bit more like Auric Basin, in that you can only get 30 chests per day per account now. As a result, instead of the 4+ named Exotics I was getting from Pawaladan => Silverwastes, I'm getting... one per run, maybe. Oh well. Apparently that wasn't even the main farm people were doing; they were going for the Volatile Magic.

Speaking of Volatile/Unbound Magic, I remembered that you can get Mystic Clovers and Amalgamated Gemstones from Magic Warped Bundles, sooo it may be back to occasional berry farming for me. Then it's getting to 250+ gold for the Mystic Coins, since there's basically no efficient/practical way to farm the damn things anymore. To my knowledge, the ONLY sources of Mystic Coins are 20 per month from daily login rewards, 1/day from Ley-Line Anomaly, occasionally from Fractal 99 CM, and you can get a bunch if you're in Monthly Automated PVP Tournaments (HA).

Speaking of THAT though... I now have 150 AR on my Engineer! Woo! I'd love to try out 99 CM and 100 CM, but I'd MUCH rather do it with guild buddies than a PUG. So let me know if you're willing to take a newbie through those!

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Daily Mystic Forger is another (unreliably occurring) source of Mystic Coins.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    There's a new current event, with Jawala Poko's forces invading core Tyria.

Found out by accident earlier, so I'll be doing that tonight.

You have to repeal forces in 6 areas, and there's also a quest involving stopping the porting in, you get a letter from someone.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    The quest gives you an item which tells you which zones will be invaded next, handy for getting the achi for stopping the invasion in ecach of the 6 zones!

Invasions happen every hour on x:30

Leandriell on
  • Options
    Hey guys! Every year on February 5th (my birthday!) I throw a party at [The Last Whiskey Bar](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Last_Whiskey_Bar) in Blazeridge Steppes. It's casual goofy fun where you put out all those party gadgets and gizmos that usually just take up space in your bank inventory, hang out, chat with friends, and generally have a good time.

I'm wondering what time of day (EST, please! Or at least specify your time-zone) would be best for everyone? I could also bump the party back to Sunday February 4th after Missions if that works better for folks.

• Options
    Hey guys! Every year on February 5th (my birthday!) I throw a party at [The Last Whiskey Bar](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Last_Whiskey_Bar) in Blazeridge Steppes. It's casual goofy fun where you put out all those party gadgets and gizmos that usually just take up space in your bank inventory, hang out, chat with friends, and generally have a good time.

I'm wondering what time of day (EST, please! Or at least specify your time-zone) would be best for everyone? I could also bump the party back to Sunday February 4th after Missions if that works better for folks.

We're usually doing post-mission bounties after "normal" mission time nowadays, so can't guarantee when we'd be done if you wanted to go for Sunday. Probably 10pm server ish. I know most folks usually have to run not long after though.
    On Monday, I should be able to pop in sometime around 9-10pm server, and can provide music ;) (Though it's my crazy gym day so I'll be shattered), though I know I'm the odd one out, so don't worry about accommodating me.
    Whatever you decide, hope it's fun :)

• Options
    Quick info for anyone not at today's missions: No missions next week as I'm off in a concert.

Aand in other news, finally finished my full set of legendary armour! Thanks for the cheering as I did it after missions ;)

• Options
    j f c

I don't know what it is about this particular PVP season, but I've won ONE out of eight placement matches thus far. ONE. That is... dismal. That's WAY below my usual game win/loss ratio of 52% as well. Wtf.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    So I got this tonight. Hall of Chains Challenge Modes clear!

l6J9zbA.png

Dhuum CM is probably the worst completable challenging content I've ever cleared in an MMO, and I cleared original pre-XPac Naxxramas in WoW and pre-nerf C'Thun. At least in those cases there was always missing gear, players, latency or misconfiguration of UI to focus on and improve - here, there were no further gear optimizations necessary, everyone was there, latency was tolerable amongst the existing players for the most part, and UI customization outside of something like Arc would have been frowned upon. Instead the one mob they added, Enders Echo, is horribly undertested:

- The mob is pitch black in a dark obsidian hall. Guess how easy it is to spot him!
    - His hitbox for his "kidnap" mechanic is larger than you'd expect. You have to actually target him to know how big the circle is.
    - Any latency whatsoever factors into whether or not you get kidnapped. Even if you successfully dodge, you can still get captured if your server position is in his server position because you can't dodge, invuln, or block getting kidnapped.
    - If you go up to do the orb mechanic and complete, you get teleported back down to the arena where you started. If he happens to be running by at that exact moment, he'll kidnap you with 0 time to react. You just return to the platform and are immediately picked up.
    - The biggest offender of all: when you DO break his bar to free people, the bar vanishes. That's right, he loses his defiance bar so you can CC him normally. Two problems with it, first is if you get kidnapped while the bar is broken you are out of luck, it takes 3-10 seconds for his bar to return, and two his AI bugs out when his bar is broken. Like he'll start following a player like a normal mob, or if he's rooted he'll start randomly choosing players to follow, or if he's stunned, knocked down, pulled or push he'll outright LEAP in the direction of another player, or if he gets confused he'll slowly walk back to his spawn point. Or maybe he'll teleport. Or maybe he'll start running into a wall over and over again. Who knows!

Now I can add pre-nerf Dhuum CM to that list of horrifically broken fights in MMOs that I broke my back killing. Hooray! (ouch, my back.)

EDIT: clarified my statement and added detail. This fight kinda sucked my brain out last night D:

naengwen on
  • Options
    Gratz Sharkey!

I finally set foot into W5 this week and killed the chaos that is Soulless Horror - how bad is Normal Dhumm?

• Options
    It's super tough the first time - a lot of coordination is necessary with a higher bar for DPS than has been necessary in prior fights. Once you have the hang of it though you'll kill him consistently.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I've added some stuff to the guild Treasury.

I can't make sheets of quality paper, but I've added 155 bolts of silk, 155 water and 155 elder planks (to be pulped) so if a scribe can make them, I'd appreciate it.

I'm going to focus on getting charges quartz crystals, too, so I can make more ley-line tools.

Turns out the laurel vendor sells a quartz node, and a place of power, so I should be able to convert one a day while I'm going my daily home harvesting, at least.

What else are we short for the none brawler stuff ?

I can also start buying unidentified potions from the laurel vendor, too, I'd forgot he sells them for 5 laurels.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    @M-Vickers Thanks for your generosity - were there any upgrades in particular you were hoping for? We've been focusing on the WvW upgrades now most of the PvE (possibly all?) is done.

Ley line tools are for Mining Rate 5 (and 6), which now we're not short of Aetherium, is definitely not a concern until they add new Guild Hall stuff, though will help level the guild up!

Looking at the treasury elder wood, quality paper and thick leather should let us unlock pretty much everything WvW Wise. There's one more tier of WvW aura locked out which will need even more mystic coins, but we only need that if someone is planning on claiming keeps :)

There;s another tier of Mining locked behind 5, which we certainly don't need at the moment, but might be of use int he future.

Brawler wise, we need Opals, Linseed Oil, Incandescent dust, a little T6 dust and a shedload of elder wood.

You can see what you are donating is for by hovering over the number on the treasury.

Leandriell on