Lazily Posted Comic [chat]

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Well Valve is making DoTA2 hearthstone....

*sigh*

u7stthr17eud.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I mean they have continuously been developing Steam as a platform, it's really awesome compared to what it used to be.

Could they put more effort into making games/better support systems/more creative endeavors? Sure, but then they'd have less money to spend on their families and knife collections. Oh, and Dota.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I imagine there are several money-gargling development black holes going on inside Valve where they do some half-assed stuff and then go "eh, fuck it" and scrap the whole thing.

Their whole company culture seems to be "nobody wants to do the boring bits, so we'll just put the whole project on hold".

I mean DoTA2 and the International alone brings in a shit ton of money.

Like so the prize pool this year was 24 million. 1.5 million of that is just Valve putting upfront money. The rest is from people buying compendiums. Its like ~25% of compendium sales go to that prize pull so they made like $75 million on just compendium sales. I mean minus cost of running and stuff TI was probably like $50 million in profit alone.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    DOG

DOG

AXES

DOG

aaaand party wipe

@Hakkekage was that you i was hearing in the background asking @BEAST! if he fucked it up for us again?

it actually wasn't his fault like 80 of the times we failed

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Tumblr wrote:
    I have a client who communicates exclusively via Microsoft Word.
    If she has something to tell me, I’ll receive an email with nothing in the body, but a Word doc attached. That’s where she writes her message.
    Whenever she wants to email me a photo, she does so via an empty Word doc with said photo set as its background.
    But my favorite thing was the first time I witnessed her visiting a website. She had me spell the URL (“W… W… W… dot…”) and with my own two eyes I watched her type it into Word, made it a hyperlink, and Ctrl click it to go there.
    I was so fascinated I didn’t even say anything.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    They need an actual chain of command for that to happen. Look I am I pretty liberal pro worker but the do what you want no bosses or titles only works in a small business where it's literally everyone's dream to accomplish X.

Valve now has giant buckets of cash and resources so everyone is chasing their own dreams that may be shot down by gabe but they're allowed to keep doing that thing.

Humans don't need an iron fist but they do need structure to accomplish goals.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    valve has profits in the billions I think too?

It's pretty high.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    bowen wrote: »

It's pretty high.

We don't know for sure. It is a private company so they don't have to really release shit.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Mazzyx wrote: »

It's pretty high.

We don't know for sure. It is a private company so they don't have to really release shit.

Their total revenue was almost 4 billion, which they did release.

So, probably at least 1 billion in profit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me

It's pretty high.

I wonder if GabeN has a money bin.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    If valve was doing poorly Gabe would change shit. He's a very smart man. Valve is doing very well so he isn't compelled to change shit.

Valve isn't benevolent because their steam policies are not pro customer at all, but I believe Gabe is probably a good guy that believes in his fairytale corporate structure. Smart talent and IP acquisitions have lead to massive success but they can't rest on their laurels forever.

The atrophy of the Halflife franchise both Gordon's story and Portal is a mistake that will eventually catch up with them.

And when Gabe dies or retires...Lordy. Valve could become a powerhouse with a more traditional leader or an even more vicious EA.

The insidiousness of valve is that of a benevolent dictatorship. What happens when glorious leader is gone?

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Although based on my Twitter it seems like they are all pretty fairly anti NFL now which absolutely fucking boggles my mind.

It's a fucking cult of personality it is terrifying

fuck gendered marketing
    Ludious wrote: »
    If valve was doing poorly Gabe would change shit. He's a very smart man. Valve is doing very well so he isn't compelled to change shit.

Valve isn't benevolent because their steam policies are not pro customer at all, but I believe Gabe is probably a good guy that believes in his fairytale corporate structure. Smart talent and IP acquisitions have lead to massive success but they can't rest on their laurels forever.

The atrophy of the Halflife franchise both Gordon's story and Portal is a mistake that will eventually catch up with them.

And when Gabe dies or retires...Lordy. Valve could become a powerhouse with a more traditional leader or an even more vicious EA.

Do not trust in benevolent kings for their children are always tyrants.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Elldren wrote: »
    Although based on my Twitter it seems like they are all pretty fairly anti NFL now which absolutely fucking boggles my mind.

It's a fucking cult of personality it is terrifying

It is.

But at the same most of the country still prefers their football to the orange colored man thing. At the same time I am not a fan of the NFL for the whole fact it is basically a blood sport so I guess I get a nice snub at Trump and also maybe poke the NFL to cripple their players a little less if ratings fall?

The second won't happen I know.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    $58 power bill this month

so nice to live in a house with insulation in the walls

Chanus wrote: »

plus windows that were probably put in in this century

edited September 2017
    That said I love steam but recognize the problem with my games being locked in a vault the company has to give me access to. I'm not naive to that. I know GoG exists and occasionally bite on a gog sale but god damn it steam is just too convenient.

I guess it's because for me they're just video games that I prolly won't play again at a certain point so I don't fret over the day valve goes fins up or full evil.

That said I totally get anti steam folks. I get it. I just am apathetic and have enough disposable income not to care.

I spent $30 on an iPhone game I really like last night.

Ludious on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

It's pretty high.

Err...I would expect a lot of pass through monies in their revenue stream. A 25% profit on revenue feels like it would be pretty high when they only keep 30% of that revenue.

(I'm assuming that revenue is all money spent on steam and then needs to cover payouts to the developers of the games.)

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish

plus windows that were probably put in in this century

yeah, i have two that need replacing still but all the others are brand new

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    DOG

DOG

AXES

DOG

aaaand party wipe

@Hakkekage was that you i was hearing in the background asking @BEAST! if he fucked it up for us again?

it actually wasn't his fault like 80 of the times we failed
    yeah, the groups i played with were big fans of her yelling at us in the background
    i was definitely to blame my fair share of times

that fucking psion on the left in the second to last group was the main cause of wipes due to inside team...that invisible to me piece of shit

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    The bullshit surrounding Jeri Ellsworth's departure from Valve was all I needed to know about their structure and why its all bullshit.

tl;dr cliques, scared to be apart of a failed project and not willing to hire grunts for grunt work.

I wish my power bill was $58. It gets there when I don't have multiple 90+ degree days where I have my AC on so my dog doesn't die.

Also in the winter.

But this summer was brutal considering we had a few weeks with multiple days where the heat index was around 105-110.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The insidiousness of valve is that of a benevolent dictatorship. What happens when glorious leader is gone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_84ZhuEx4c

If I really sloth it out today and tonight I could probably grind out enough levels to unlock Dreadlord Jaina in HotS today

So if anyone wants to play today LET ME KNOW

The bullshit surrounding Jeri Ellsworth's departure from Valve was all I needed to know about their structure and why its all bullshit.

tl;dr cliques, scared to be apart of a failed project and not willing to hire grunts for grunt work.

No structure and cliques form. It's inevitable. Gabe is just too idealistic but the buck stops at him and all of their out the door product has made $$$$$$ so convincing him otherwise is laughable.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2017

It's pretty high.

Err...I would expect a lot of pass through monies in their revenue stream. A 25% profit on revenue feels like it would be pretty high when they only keep 30% of that revenue.

(I'm assuming that revenue is all money spent on steam and then needs to cover payouts to the developers of the games.)

lets say it is 70/30 for most folks.

valve keeps 30%.

they have 1.2 billion dollars per year after the first cut.

I assume they easily spend at least 200 mil on salary, real estate, data center / bandwidth utilization, promotionals like DOTA championships, etc.

So while they don't have a billion a year to play with, they probably, after uncle sam, clear 500million in profit.

Which is fucking amazing for a company that barely makes anything and just acts as the storefront for others.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    Bogart wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »

It's so we can use it as a distress call in times of need by flying it the wrong way round.

Unless you fly it the wrong way round and upside down because it's rotationally symmetrical

fuck gendered marketing
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

No structure and cliques form. It's inevitable. Gabe is just too idealistic but the buck stops at him and all of their out the door product has made $$$$$$ so convincing him otherwise is laughable.

i also don't think it's unique to valve; at any organization there are going to be in-groups and politics to navigate

i would be very, very surprised if you found any kind of ideal setting in game development; the indies are maybe better from a work relations perspective, but those also aren't making 10 digits in revenue most of the time

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I can't imagine a stack ranking system for bonuses plus a flatish structure ever turning out well.

It's pretty high.

I kind of "hmmmmmmmmmmm" a lot when companies hide behind dividend payouts as "not having profits" though. So even if GabeN eats 3/4 of that extra profit with his bank account as an executive payout, it still feels disingenuous to say "yeah we only made 50k in profits this year" like some companies pretend they do.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Do not trust in benevolent kings for their children are always tyrants.

True, I can't think of anybody who earns "The Great" whose immediate successors don't screw it up

syndalis wrote: »

It's pretty high.

valve keeps 30%.

I assume they easily spend at least 200 mil on salary, real estate, data center / bandwidth utilization, promotionals like DOTA championships, etc.

So while they don't have a billion a year to play with, they probably, after uncle sam, clear 500million in profit.

Which is fucking amazing for a company that barely makes anything and just acts as the storefront for others.

They actually make money on TI. The pay out on that is actually from a percentage of sales of a specific item.

The other majors and stuff are not prize supported by valve but by individual leagues and sponsors. Really only Blizzard with the new OW/HoTS/Hearthstone stuff and League are the games where prize support is from the company.

Also remember Valve gets kick backs from Counter Strike tourneys as well.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

i also don't think it's unique to valve; at any organization there are going to be in-groups and politics to navigate

i would be very, very surprised if you found any kind of ideal setting in game development; the indies are maybe better from a work relations perspective, but those also aren't making 10 digits in revenue most of the time

Would a professional or informal structure make this decrease? You're definitely right about cliques showing up regardless.

Well I feel cliques within their "flat structure" is the problem not cliques in general.

syndalis wrote: »

It's pretty high.

valve keeps 30%.

That also assumes that all of that money is payout to game developers, and ignores how much money they generate from CS:GO, DOTA, and TF2's markets, which is 100% profit for them.

That "4 billion in revenue" is likely just from what they make from acting as that storefront, their actual revenue is probably another 1-2 billion on top of that maybe?

Wait wat?

fuck gendered marketing
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    It's amazing how many people stop arguing for freedom of speech when someone uses that right to criticize America

I mean not amazing

What's the word

Disappointing

• Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Hey everyone guess who needs a ROOT CANAL on WEDNESDAY MORNING fuck fuck fuck

(It's me)

@Abdhyius @BeNarwhal @OnTheLastCastle let's start a Dental Emergency Club

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
This discussion has been closed.