Lazily Posted Comic [chat]

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    It's amazing how many people stop arguing for freedom of speech when someone uses that right to criticize America

I mean not amazing

What's the word

Disappointing

can bugs be disappointed tho

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I like small indie developers that are happy as they are. Like Butterscotch Shenanigans. They make mobile games. Their crown jewel is crashlands which is actually on steam and so fucking good.

2 brothers own it and they have a badass black woman who is basically their lawyer and as and far as I can tell a more corporate ninjutsu centered version of Lucius Fox.

Then a web guy, artist, and programmer. Anything else is contracted out.

Seems to work for them. I hope they stay that way.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    The bullshit surrounding Jeri Ellsworth's departure from Valve was all I needed to know about their structure and why its all bullshit.

tl;dr cliques, scared to be apart of a failed project and not willing to hire grunts for grunt work.

Wait wat?

Jeri Ellsworth was at valve for a time to help develop VR/AR (mostly AR?) stuff
    "It is a pseudo-flat structure where, at least in small groups, you're all peers and make decisions together," she said. "But the one thing I found out the hard way is that there is actually a hidden layer of powerful management structure in the company and it felt a lot like high school. There are popular kids that have acquired power in the company, then there's the trouble makers, and everyone in between."
    "I was struggling in the company to make a difference and to make the hardware group move forward. We were having a difficult time recruiting folks. We would interview very talented people but they would be rejected by the old timers at Valve as not fitting the culture."

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The bullshit surrounding Jeri Ellsworth's departure from Valve was all I needed to know about their structure and why its all bullshit.

tl;dr cliques, scared to be apart of a failed project and not willing to hire grunts for grunt work.

Wait wat?

https://www.wired.com/2013/07/wireduk-valve-jeri-ellsworth/

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

Wait wat?

"It is a pseudo-flat structure where, at least in small groups, you're all peers and make decisions together," she said. "But the one thing I found out the hard way is that there is actually a hidden layer of powerful management structure in the company and it felt a lot like high school. There are popular kids that have acquired power in the company, then there's the trouble makers, and everyone in between."
    "I was struggling in the company to make a difference and to make the hardware group move forward. We were having a difficult time recruiting folks. We would interview very talented people but they would be rejected by the old timers at Valve as not fitting the culture."

Is there a tell all book or article?

Also I don't know who that is : /

fuck gendered marketing
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »

No structure and cliques form. It's inevitable. Gabe is just too idealistic but the buck stops at him and all of their out the door product has made $$$$$$ so convincing him otherwise is laughable.

i also don't think it's unique to valve; at any organization there are going to be in-groups and politics to navigate

i would be very, very surprised if you found any kind of ideal setting in game development; the indies are maybe better from a work relations perspective, but those also aren't making 10 digits in revenue most of the time

Would a professional or informal structure make this decrease? You're definitely right about cliques showing up regardless.

Informal structures in large companies are often probably going to be the worst. It means there is no clear structure to navigate to get things done and you're forced to learn and rely which groups have the power.

Going too hard the other way is what leads to bureaucratic gridlock

What structure you need is going to vary depending on the size and type of company; the most important thing, I would say, is having a clear mission and the resources to support the people that make that happen. "Make money" is not enough, btw.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Hey everyone guess who needs a ROOT CANAL on WEDNESDAY MORNING fuck fuck fuck

(It's me)

Abdhyius BeNarwhal OnTheLastCastle let's start a Dental Emergency Club

So in reality what will happen.

You get in.

You will get laughing gas and get high.

Drilling will happen for a few hours and a cap put on.

You maybe sore for a day or two.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Mazzyx wrote: »

(It's me)

You get in.

No they don't do gas

THEY DO NOT DO GAS

And everything will happen inside of 1 hour

Also apparently they will let me double up on ativan at least q-q

Blameless Cleric on
    Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!

Wait wat?

Harry posted an article

(It's me)

You get in.

No they don't do gas

THEY DO NOT DO GAS

:eh:

Okay, you will just get super numb.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited September 2017

(It's me)

You get in.

Depends on your dentist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42NjchLNUPw

Bogart on

Wait wat?

Harry posted an article

Harry and the Hendersons?

fuck gendered marketing
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    BC you can gas yourself. Ask that friend you have...you know the one, for some nos cartridges and a cracker.

Wait wat?

Harry posted an article

But you know tell the dentist it's your inhaler

• Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    I don't like needles Mazzy, this is a highly unpleasant prospect pls stop trying to make me feel better via trying to convince me that I am stupid to be freaked out

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Wait wat?

Harry posted an article

harry_and_the_hendersons.jpg

I don't like needles Mazzy, this is a highly unpleasant prospect pls stop trying to make me feel better via trying to convince me that I am stupid to be freaked out

I am not convincing you, just trying to help calm you down. I use to work at a dental office. I will stop.

u7stthr17eud.png

Wait wat?

Harry posted an article

That's not Harry that's Pip Warr!

Pip is delightful and I will read anything she writes

fuck gendered marketing
    It's so weird that a dentist would rather have their patient take a benzo than use nos. This isn't the first time I've heard of a dentist not using it. It's a thing down here at a bunch of dentists.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

(It's me)

You get in.

Depends on your dentist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42NjchLNUPw

back when frozen was all the rage i kept getting this stuck in my head but with the lyrics to Do You Want To Build a Snowman?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Wait wat?

It basically sounds like a start up that never realized they became established; this is a pretty typical problem.

Ludious wrote: »
    It's so weird that a dentist would rather have their patient take a benzo than use nos. This isn't the first time I've heard of a dentist not using it. It's a thing down here at a bunch of dentists.

To use nos you need training in sedation and anesthesia. Sometimes there are licensing things too.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Why would a dentist not just gas you out for that

Lame

i feel like dentist offices would be a lot more fun if they just pumped the waiting room full of laughing gas and blasted techno with lazer light shows and fog machines

then you go in the back room and they fix the holes in your mouth

I have a license to make whipped cream and can nos you right up. Doesn't last long though.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    A colleague has had a really bad haircut and it keeps distracting me

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Mostly I am concerned because I have some kind of stupid resistance to novocaine and they always have to double me up or more (same thing happened when they did my nexplanon removal), and then it always STILL hurts just to get fillings, it's just reduced to 'manageableish', and then headaches for 2+ weeks afterwards

I told this to the root canal lady and she was confident it would be fine so I hope so :(

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Damn, now I am just listening to Little Shop of Horrors songs. I have a hell of a job figuring out which one is my favourite. It is stuffed full of such great tunes.

Novocaine isn't the only local anesthetic. We had another one for folks who were allergic or couldn't get numb off it. Maybe she is using a different one to help you.

u7stthr17eud.png
    edited September 2017
    desc wrote: »

Lame

All of them around here are mom and pop types, not tied to a hospital, and apparently the gas is super expensive to maintain a license for + employ somebody who is an expert on it (according to my dentist) if you're not tied to a larger business

Blameless Cleric on

brb pitching my new startup idea to venture capitalist orthodontists

T E C H N O C A V I T Y

Lame

All of them around here are mom and pop types, not tied to a hospital, and apparently the gas is super expensive to maintain a license for + employ somebody who is an expert on it (according to my dentist)

*cough* bullshit *cough*

My guess it is some stupid set of Mass laws.

My dad ran a private practice unattached for 35+ years and did guess for all those years with no "specialist" needed.

u7stthr17eud.png
    More like Taxachusetts

Lame

All of them around here are mom and pop types, not tied to a hospital, and apparently the gas is super expensive to maintain a license for + employ somebody who is an expert on it (according to my dentist)

*cough* bullshit *cough*

My guess it is some stupid set of Mass laws.

My dad ran a private practice unattached for 35+ years and did guess for all those years with no "specialist" needed.

Blarg

I miss my TX dentist who would turn the gas on for like, a teeth cleaning if I asked

Also i did not know there were things other than novocaine! That would be good.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Mostly I am concerned because I have some kind of stupid resistance to novocaine and they always have to double me up or more (same thing happened when they did my nexplanon removal), and then it always STILL hurts just to get fillings, it's just reduced to 'manageableish', and then headaches for 2+ weeks afterwards

I told this to the root canal lady and she was confident it would be fine so I hope so :(

Them redhead genes ayyyyy

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Im playing hooky today. I just couldn't after working all weekend. I can give up a day of comp time.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    ew the fingernail is coming off the finger i broke and there's a new one growing underneath

edited September 2017
    DKk5fOPWsAA69Fo.jpg

look at this rad sculpture at moma right now

Vanguard on
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    ew the fingernail is coming off the finger i broke and there's a new one growing underneath

The circle of life. Out with old, in with new

This discussion has been closed.