Options

Protesting and Signal Loss [NFL/NBA etc. Protests]

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    If the NFL tried to restock even half the players it would be the biggest disaster they had ever seen. Imagine all the players not good enough to play on the Browns... now imagine that they're all rookies learning new schemes many of them out of the game for multiple years...

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Remember, the issue with the NFL players' strike was not that people came out and watched the replacement players - they did not - but rather that the players themselves could not maintain solidarity amongst themselves.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    If the NFL tried to restock even half the players it would be the biggest disaster they had ever seen. Imagine all the players not good enough to play on the Browns... now imagine that they're all rookies learning new schemes many of them out of the game for multiple years...

They tried this once before, in 1987. It was even worse than you'd expect.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

The Dallas Cowboys' owner was instrumental in ending the strike.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    if they walk maybe the teams will hold open tryouts and i can get invincible

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Eminem of all people took the Trump NFL thing up as part of a last minute free style rap for the BET awards. Historically he hasn't been exactly progressive but Trumps racism angered him apparently. (Transcript from elsewhere)

(BET is an African American focused entertainment channel)
    It's Like We Take A Step Forwards Then Backwards But This Is His Form Of Distraction Plus He Gets An Enormous Reaction When He Attacks The NFL So We Focus On That And, Instead Of Talking Puerto Rico Or Gun Reform For Nevada All These Horrible Tragedies And He's Bored And Would Rather Cause' A Twitter Storm With The Packers.

And Says He Wants To Lower Our Taxes Then Who's Gonna Pay For His Extravagant Trips Back And Forth With His Family With His Golf Resorts And His Mansions Same Shit That He Tormented Hillary Clinton For And He Slandered Then ... More From His Endorsement Abandoned Support For The Klansmen Tiki Torches In Hand For The Solider That's Black And Comes Home From Iraq And Is Still Told To Go Back To Afrika Fork And A Dagger And His Racist 94 Year Old Grandpa Who Keeps Ignoring Our Past Historical Deplorable Factors Now If You're A Black Athlete You're A Spoiled Little Brat For Tryna Use Your Platform Or Your Stature To Try To Give Those A Voice Who Don't Have One. He Says You're Spitting In The Face Of Vets Who Fought For Us You Bastards!

Unless You're A P.O.W Who's Tortured And Battered Cause' To Him You're .... Cause' He Don't Like His War .... Captured. That's Not Disrespecting The Military.

Fuck That! This Is For Colin Bawl Up A Fist! And Keep That Shit Bald, Like Donald The Bitch!

And Any Fan Of Mine, Who's A Supporter Of His Im DRAWING IN THE SAND A LINE, YOU EITHER FOR OR AGAINST And If You Cant Decide Who You Like More In Your Split On Who You Should Stand Beside, I'll Do It For You With This. FUCK YOU! The Rest Of America Stand Up. We Love Our Military And We Love Our Country But We FUCKING HATE TRUMP.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Daaang that's gonna draw a reaction.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Even though Eminem has said some pretty ridiculous things over the years that is a dude who has a way with the english language that is among the greats who have ever put pen to paper. Unfortunately, yeah sometimes he says some really childish shit but this should get a lot of attention.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Not a big fan of the military fetishism at the end there but, hey, different culture

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i deeply respect those who serve and have served. they're doing a thing that I never could. And catching hell from all sides.

That was... intense to watch. I'm not a big Eminem fan, but I did like that one song from his movie. It was strange to hear his voice sound so, normal? Not as high and nasal as I remember?

Definitely not somebody that I expected to take a stand. Although it makes absolute perfect sense when I stopped to think about it.

Changing tracks in my brain

What would happen if the players kept kneeling this weekend. Or raised their fists. What is Jerry Jones gonna do? Fire his entire team and hire Keanu Reeves?

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    It took half the video for me to accept Eminem now sounds like an annoyed/disappointed dad

But, yeah, that was pretty great.

I hope it has an impact but as I've lost nearly all faith in my fellow humans so I expect the news tomorrow will be "Does Eminem Know He's Not Black Becase If So UGH What Is His Deal?"

That or Trump will tweet about a cloud he saw in the sky during lunch but couldn't decide if it was a chicken or a rooster getting fucked by something but you know what it was probably a chicken because it dissolved pretty quickly because women can't make up their minds miright and then the news will promptly forget about everything that has happened in the last, gee, I GUESS WE'RE UP TO LIKE TWO FUCKING YEARS AT THIS POINT, and they'll talk about chicken-getting-fucked-gate for a few hours before he does or says something else that's fucking clownshoes and then that can be the thing that gets talked about for a few hours until

Fuck this world. I'm going to bed.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Jon Bois did his last Pretty Good video on the last NFL strike. It's a fast primer on what happened and how the strike was taken apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZymSrDfLhW8

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

I remember watching this movie. Keanu Reeves and Gene Hackman were in it.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    It's not a very well considered reaction by the way. Trump supporters are resorting to, "Oh so now Democrats support Eminem who sang about violence against women." You can practically hear the stupid Yu-Gi-Oh! trap card thing playing, considering Trump talked about grabbing women.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Thing is if the NFL takes major action agaisnt these players they're likely in for a nasty legal fight with the player's union. That could be an even bigger hit to their ratings than ignoring some people protesting.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    How much of the NFL audience is African American? A counter-boycott could be pretty damaging and might just need a small number of players to encourage it along.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    How much of the NFL audience is African American? A counter-boycott could be pretty damaging and might just need a small number of players to encourage it along.

The bigger problem in the long term is supply. As CTE becomes better understood, more and more middle class parents (who are predominantly white) are pulling their kids out of football, leaving the slack to be taken up by families further down the socioeconomic ladder. But if football is rejected by those communities on racial grounds, then the sport's talent pipeline could very well be broken.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    NFL players should walk. This is so much bullshit. Fuck these assholes.

I think the players union might end up having something to say about this.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    It's not a very well considered reaction by the way. Trump supporters are resorting to, "Oh so now Democrats support Eminem who sang about violence against women." You can practically hear the stupid Yu-Gi-Oh! trap card thing playing, considering Trump talked about grabbing women.
    The current Harvey Weinstein controversy demonstrates this degree of self reflection does not exist in the GOP base or the media

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Yes, someone should protest and then get punished so that the NFLPA can tie the league up in court over this. I'm certain having this play out in the news media for months as it gets appealed through the system is exactly what the league wants.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

If the Eminem stuff ends up with legs, what thread should it go into?

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    i deeply respect those who serve and have served. they're doing a thing that I never could. And catching hell from all sides.

Which is fair I just think it's a very jarring position to non-Americans in many ways.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

If the Eminem stuff ends up with legs, what thread should it go into?

Just PM me I guess. If it's directly about his NFL comments it can stay here. Otherwise I'm not sure it's thread worthy on its own.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    hippofant wrote: »
    Remember, the issue with the NFL players' strike was not that people came out and watched the replacement players - they did not - but rather that the players themselves could not maintain solidarity amongst themselves.

Most of them were united. It was the richest players with the biggest contracts that crossed the picket line

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    hippofant wrote: »

Most of them were united. It was the richest players with the biggest contracts that crossed the picket line

I don't think the NFLPA has ever engaged in a wildcat strike. I doubt they would do so now. That said, my limited understanding of labor law in the US is that the union but not the individual employees can be sued for damages for illegal strikes. Thus the union stays out of it. This doesn't stop the players though who can do what they want. The usual context of these cases is an employee is fired in accordance with the CBA and angry coworkers strike for reinstatement. I could definitely see something like this fomenting here but labor law is so complex and the money at stake is so big that I doubt many individual players would do this without union guidance.

My suspicion is that if this keeps up, no one will get fired but they could possibly get fined and/or suspended. This will end with some clever face saving on both sides while Trump keeps fanning the flames.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    At the moment there are no rules or regulations the players are in violation of by kneeling. Unlike other leagues, it wasn't even standard procedure for the players to be outside the locker room for the anthem until around ten years ago so there are no long standing rules requiring them to do anything. Because of that and Goodell's careful language I think they'll continue to avoid the idea of fines or suspensions.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-sits-talks-through-song-lowering-the-flag-at-military-base-amid-nfl-anthem-controversy/article/2637296
    President Trump sat and talked through the nightly playing of "Retreat" as the American flag was lowered on a Pennsylvania Air National Guard base during his interview with Sean Hannity.

Trump, who has been criticizing NFL players who kneel through the national anthem to protest racism, seemed caught off-guard by loudspeakers playing "Retreat." The song is played every night at military bases to signal the American flag being lowered and the end of the official duty day.

Military site Task and Purpose was the first to notice Trump sitting during the song. According to Task and Purpose, uniformed service members are required to stop what they're doing and salute the flag as its lowered during the song while civilians are required to place their hand over their heart.

Trump not only does not stand or place his hand over his heart, but instead talks through the song and assumes it's being played to honor him or Hannity.

People watching the rally can be seen standing for the song in the background of Trump's interview, but Trump seems to not know what the song means.

"Are they playing that for you or for me?" Trump joked to Hannity.

"They're playing that in honor of his ratings. He's beating everybody."

Has this been posted? My pessimism is running high and doubt this will matter at all, even though it really should.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    IOIYAT, really

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    The Green Beret with whom Colin resolved to kneel after a dialogue (rather than sit as he was originally doing) wrote an open letter to the country.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21003968/nfl-2017-ex-green-beret-nate-boyer-writes-open-letter-president-donald-trump-colin-kaepernick-nfl-united-states-america

Some excerpts:

Every. Single. American. Including President Trump, Colin Kaepernick, and my brothers in arms overseas who are wondering, "what in the hell is going on back there?" I'm sitting in the same chair, in the same apartment that I sat in almost a year ago when I wrote an open letter to Colin Kaepernick. I was hurt when I saw him sitting on the bench during the national anthem, but I'm much more hurt now. Not by him, not by where we're at now with the protests, but by us.

Simply put, it seems like we just hate each other; and that is far more painful to me than any protest, or demonstration, or rally, or tweet. We're told to pick a side, there's a line drawn in the sand "are you with us or against us?" It's just not who we are, or at least who we're supposed to be; we're supposed to be better than that, we're Americans. This doesn't even seem to be about right or wrong, but more about right or left.

Today it feels like this national divide isn't even really about the anthem, or the flag, or kneeling, or sitting, or fists in the air. It's not about President Donald Trump, it's not about Colin Kaepernick, it's not about the military, or even police brutality. It feels like it's about winning. That's what makes America so great, our sheer competitiveness. We're winners, and we won't quit until victory is ours.

We see it in sports everyday, we "live and die" by the outcomes of our teams. That desire to win at all cost is costing us greatly now among our neighbors. This winning mentality seems to have spilled over into an obsession with being right and not willing to admit that maybe, just maybe we were wrong. We repeat mantras to ourselves like, "no matter what I will never ever surrender."

Earlier this week I sat down with a group of five Combat Arms and Special Operations Veterans. The round table discussed our individual feelings on the flag, the anthem, and the players who knelt when it was played. We all had very different takes, but what surprised me most at the end of the discussion was that we all agreed on one thing. Colin Kaepernick and President Trump should be the ones uniting our country together. Wait...what? I know it sounds crazy, but maybe that's exactly what we need to see. Maybe that's how we start to heal. Two men sit in a room and talk, simple as that.

That's how it all started with Colin and I, neither of us knew that kneeling would be the result of our conversation. Colin wanted to sit, I wanted him to stand, and so we found a common ground on a knee alongside his teammates. I believe that progress and real change happens in this world when you reach across the divide, you build a bridge, you swallow your pride, you open your mind, you embrace what you don't understand, and ultimately you surrender.

To deploy overseas, train, live with, fight alongside, and ultimately defend foreigners that you have little in common with is truly a challenging task. But returning home to a country that is so divided, so judgmental, and so hateful of one another is almost as difficult to deal with as burying a fallen comrade.

You can tell his heart is in the right place but he doesn't get the magnitude of what's going on. Like so many white people there's the regurgitation of what your elementary school teacher told you, that it takes two people to have a fight.

Along with a tremendous amount of naivete about his Commander in Chief, but i can forgive him that being that he's a soldier and his deeply engrained respect for the office can warp his view of the manbaby currently squatting there.

• Options
    I'd care a lot more about anything else he said if he explicitly stood up for Colin. Something like "Colin deserves a job. Expressing himself freely and getting fired for it isn't what I fought for and isn't right."

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    For context on Trump sitting, who or what exactly is "Task and Purpose?" From the capitalization I assume a person or group, but what exactly is their purpose and/or task?

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Hevach wrote: »
    For context on Trump sitting, who or what exactly is "Task and Purpose?" From the capitalization I assume a person or group, but what exactly is their purpose and/or task?

http://taskandpurpose.com
    Task & Purpose is a news site for veterans, by veterans.

Edit: I never heard of it before so I can't say if it's good or bad.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I didn't realise this was a thread on its own. This happened yesterday:
    The starting XI and reserves and coaches for Hertha Berlin took a knee before their match today.

Germany itself has seen a rise in white supremacy and nazism, and if there’s any country who knows what horrible things nazism has done to this world, it’s Germany. And so the team from Berlin took a knee before their match against Schalke inside the Olympiastadion, the same stadium where Adolf Hitler watched his athletes compete in the 1936 Summer Olympics, 81 years ago.

When Hertha kneeled, the PA announcer said, “Berlin is colorful. Hertha BSC stands for diversity and against violence. For this reason, we are joining forces with the protest of our fellow American athletes to take a stand against discrimination. For a tolerant Berlin, both now and forevermore.”

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    This is a columnist for the Bleacher Report

I am told that @Kaepernick7 has filed a grievance under the CBA for collusion against the owners. If accurate, this is huge.

This would allow his lawyers to do discovery to see what was really going on.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I guess it also means he has given up any expectation of playing professionally again, and has now definitely started a new career.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Assuming this is true, is probably a fair expectation, given what assholes most of the team owners are. Wondering if this was going to be in works eventually or if some team owners showing a willingness to kneel to a pieces shit like Trump made Kaepernick conclude he was going to get fucked over regardless. Might as well confirm if their is enough damning evidence to burn all the assholes involved.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    V1m wrote: »
    I guess it also means he has given up any expectation of playing professionally again, and has now definitely started a new career.

I don't think he had a chance of playing anyway. So many teams are starting QBs who are nowhere near as good as him. And never reached out to him.

Magell on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    If it means anything to this thread the games just aren't televising the anthem anymore.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    If it means anything to this thread the games just aren't televising the anthem anymore.

They never did before the protests, instead showing commercials. Which showcases how important the NFL thought it was.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.