Options

[US Tax Reform] Congress passes tax bill, hope you are a billionaire

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Absalon wrote: »

Spiro: Senior Fellow, Economic Policy and Vice President, Health Policy, Center for American Progress. Not a dragon.

The question is was she sincere but naive or trying to come up with excuses for a yes?

Either is equally detestable

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Spiro: Senior Fellow, Economic Policy and Vice President, Health Policy, Center for American Progress. Not a dragon.

The question is was she sincere but naive or trying to come up with excuses for a yes?

Either is equally detestable

They have much different impacts on what she does next though.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    There would have to be one more person saying no.

• Options
    HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    What if Collins votes no, they don't get the bill passed in time, and Roy Moore loses?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    That'd be nice

Not going to hold my breath

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    There would have to be one more person saying no.

I mean, everyone else they made promises too suddenly has to wonder if they are going to get what they were promised. But it's still long shot territory.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Hirocon wrote: »
    What if Collins votes no, they don't get the bill passed in time, and Roy Moore loses?

This is the most clear path to defeating this nightmare. Collins flips because she was lied to, Corker stays put, and Jones wins.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

With Conyers and Franken leaving now/soon, would they NEED Collins anymore to pass?

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Javen wrote: »

With Conyers and Franken leaving now/soon, would they NEED Collins anymore to pass?

Conyers is in the House and is irrelevant. Franken does not change the number of yea votes they need from 50, so he is irrelevant.*

*Well, technically if Mitch refuses to seat Jones for a period if he wins and refuses to seat Franken's replacement at the same time, he can pass it with 49 votes plus Pence during that time.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Collins was looking for any reason to vote yes. She will desperately look for any other reason. I think she only votes no to save face, but thats unlikely I feel.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »
    Collins was looking for any reason to vote yes. She will desperately look for any other reason. I think she only votes no to save face, but thats unlikely I feel.

I dunno, she just got rolled and her lunch money taken in the national press. That isn't a good look for anybody.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Conyers is in the House and is irrelevant. Franken does not change the number of yea votes they need from 50, so he is irrelevant.*

*Well, technically if Mitch refuses to seat Jones for a period if he wins and refuses to seat Franken's replacement at the same time, he can pass it with 49 votes plus Pence during that time.

Franken announced his intention to resign, but did not give a date for it's effect. Almost certainly for that exact reason. If Jones wins in Alabama there will be a brief period of time before he is seated and Strange still has the vote. However, that clock is short. It also relies on Collins and Corker being hard no's when passage is actually questionable rather than a foregone conclusion and principle doesn't cost.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    In case people don't realize the Alabama senate is currently filled by a temporary replacement appointed by the governor. He's Republican, and he is absolutely still allowed to vote.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

What are the rules on seating senators?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

What are the rules on seating senators?

Like McConnell cares about rules (I honestly don't know)

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I seem to remember there being a delay in seating Franken initially, even though Republicans were in the minority in the Senate at the time. The rules are probably byzantine and abusable, and I wouldn't be even a little surprised if McConnell attempted to not seat Jones for as long as he is the majority leader.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I seem to remember there being a delay in seating Franken initially, even though Republicans were in the minority in the Senate at the time. The rules are probably byzantine and abusable, and I wouldn't be even a little surprised if McConnell attempted to not seat Jones for as long as he is the majority leader.

Franken had a very close race that spent months in recount and court battle hell. The Governor (Tim Pawlenty - R) did not certify the election until the court battle was completely lost at the end of June. Franken was sworn in as senator within a week.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    A quick Googling tells me that there's legal precedence preventing them from simply refusing to seat them (Powell v. McCormack (1969), but the details of that particular case, on Wikipedia at least, aren't super clear to me.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Maine reporter

On what? Moist towelettes?

The related story is that she'd MAYBE CONSIDER changing her vote if things she asked for aren't in it.

She won't, obviously.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    chrisnl wrote: »

That was due to recounts and the State not certifying a winner until the matter was fully litigated in the courts.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Maine reporter

The related story is that she'd MAYBE CONSIDER changing her vote if things she asked for aren't in it.

She won't, obviously.

I just...I don't see how they care. Writing or not, I doubt that the GOP leaders feel that she has enough leverage to think that they actually need to honor anything that's said or written, if they don't want to

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    That says to me that Collins is not naive and is complicit with this political maneuvering

• Options
    Maine reporter

She won't, obviously.

I just...I don't see how they care. Writing or not, I doubt that the GOP leaders feel that she has enough leverage to think that they actually need to honor anything that's said or written, if they don't want to

Also, the cuts to Medicare are due to standing law. So...

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Well Trump is insisting that 20% is the highest he is willing to settle for the corporate tax rate, which might doom this piece of shit bill. They have to keep this budget neutral and a low corporate tax rate means less options for permanent cuts elsewhere. Since this has to go through a committee and we now have a potential for an X-mas showdown. There might be a stronger push from some members of the GOP caucus for implementing a higher than 20% permanent corporate tax rate, in order to attempt to appease the non-rich with permanent cuts elsewhere. Otherwise, this pile of shit might exacerbate the growing list of things that get the GOP curbed stomped next year.

Also annoyed how the GOP keeps yapping about everyone else having lower tax rates, but ignoring that all the deductions are allowing many use corps to pay less or in some cases get returns. These stupid fucks seem to think that most don't realize this shit is going on. The funny thing is a fair number of voters do know this shit is happening, it's why the bill is not polling well. It's not just that the lower and middle classes see fuck all from these cuts. They what a fucking shame this bill is. It doesn't fix anything, it's just shithead rich people looting government funds because their sorry insecure asses, need to find some way to increase their high score.

I don't know how some of this stuff polls in NH, but I'm wondering if this mess will be what causes her to lose next year.

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Mill wrote: »
    I don't know how some of this stuff polls in NH, but I'm wondering if this mess will be what causes her to lose next year.

Are you talking about Collins? She's a republican from Maine, not New Hampshire. Here in NH we somehow have both a federal delegation of all women Democrats who oppose this tax bill, and a republican-controlled state legislature and Govenor's office trying to suppress college student voters' rights so the aforementioned doesn't happen again.

v Edit: Well yeah, that's the easy answer. I still find it pretty interesting.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Are you talking about Collins? She's a republican from Maine, not New Hampshire. Here in NH we somehow have both a federal delegation of all women Democrats who oppose this tax bill, and a republican-controlled state legislature and Govenor's office trying to suppress college student voters' rights so the aforementioned doesn't happen again.

College kids rarely vote in local elections?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Maine reporter

She won't, obviously.

Wow it's weird when you see someone voluntarily destroy their political career

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Funny you should mention that.

Local NPR had on a local Representative from the 15th District of Illinois.

Spoiler contains map to give an idea how large this district is...
    lossless-page1-1920px-Illinois_US_Congressional_District_15_%28since_2013%29.tif.png

So.. notice how it curls around Champaign/Urbana? That's where the University of Illinois is. And the rep fully supports the parts of the bill that gut tax exemptions for grad students and such. His reasoning? Well.. he represents people who work at UIUC, but not the majority of students themselves, so he has to look out for his constituents! His district includes Eastern Illinois University and one of the campuses of Southern Illinois University, it appears, but.. hey, they aren't UIUC!

(I want to find a link to the story but sadly local NPR hasn't posted it online just yet.)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »

lossless-page1-1920px-Illinois_US_Congressional_District_15_%28since_2013%29.tif.png

So.. notice how it curls around Champaign/Urbana? That's where the University of Illinois is. And the rep fully supports the parts of the bill that gut tax exemptions for grad students and such. His reasoning? Well.. he represents people who work at UIUC, but not the majority of students themselves, so he has to look out for his constituents! His district includes Eastern Illinois University and one of the campuses of Southern Illinois University, it appears, but.. hey, they aren't UIUC!

(I want to find a link to the story but sadly local NPR hasn't posted it online just yet.)

No, SIU is in Carbondale which is IL-12.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

SIU has 2 campuses, Edwardsville and Carbondale, Just like University of Illinois has 2 campuses (Chicago and Urbana-Champaign).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Illinois_University

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Maine reporter

She won't, obviously.

Wow it's weird when you see someone voluntarily destroy their political career

Wow, she's leaning into that letter. I guess I was right previously, when I said it gives her plausible deniability.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Susan Collins' career will be fine. She has enough popularity built up that she can afford to take a hit over this. Plus, based on what I've seen/heard locally, I'm not convinced the tax bill is super unpopular up here. There's a lot of Trump-supporting Republicans in this neck of the woods, and lots of people who have swallowed the "it's a tax cut for everyone" thing hook, line, and sinker.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    moniker wrote: »

SIU has 2 campuses, Edwardsville and Carbondale, Just like University of Illinois has 2 campuses (Chicago and Urbana-Champaign).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Illinois_University

I know, I went to Southern. Edwardsville is suburban St Louis and even further west (and IL-13), so I figured you were confused about Carbondale. Which is closer to the borders on the map, and the way it's labelled on the map is semi-misleading.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    And, getting donor money for signing the tax bill may be more important for her re-election than not stripping people's healthcare.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I think we've already crossed the Rubicon and Republican legislators are going "who cares what my constituents think of this policy, they'll vote Republican anyway, what do my donors want."

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Half of their constituents want this crap too, so really, there is no downside for them.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I think we've already crossed the Rubicon and Republican legislators are going "who cares what my constituents think of this policy, they'll vote Republican anyway, what do my donors want."

I mean, he's not wrong.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I would like someone to ask (on the senate floor) exactly what the number is. What is the amount of wealth that the rich and the corporations need before the other 95% start seeing it?

I'd be interested in the answer

It'd be like that scene in Breaking Bad. "How big does this pile have to be?"

It will always be argued we've never reached the T* point of the Laffer Curve.

Republican tax policy assumes it's actually the Laffer Straight Line.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Susan Collins' career will be fine. She has enough popularity built up that she can afford to take a hit over this. Plus, based on what I've seen/heard locally, I'm not convinced the tax bill is super unpopular up here. There's a lot of Trump-supporting Republicans in this neck of the woods, and lots of people who have swallowed the "it's a tax cut for everyone" thing hook, line, and sinker.

I really don't think so. Collins is like Murkowski who has saw her party drift away from her and has had to build up a coalition of Moderate R's, Independents, and swing-Dems to remain in power. Collins really can't afford to betray the moderate image too much or that invincibility buff goes away fast.

Along with the possibility of her getting outright primaried by Le Page or some such.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    A friend of mine who lives in Maine - Pixie, please confirm, deny or clarify - says that part of the problem is that the Dem opposition has been split between several candidates, no one of whom can get a big enough slice of the pie to mount a challenge.