As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Indie Games] would be great on Switch!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I've had kids at GameStop looking for Gang Beasts without realizing that it's a digital only release with somewhat surprising regularity

Yeah this is my experience, I'm actually surprised at how often I've heard kids interested

I assume it's made the rounds on Youtube

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    DayZ
    For anything 2D unity is terrible .... except for every other engine (and especially unreal) is even worse

The hell are you talking about? Unity for 2D is fairly simple but powerful enough to make the Ori games. Thanks to Paper2D Unreal is capable of making stuff like The Siege and the Sandfox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=786nDr2pglg

Hell I've seen a dude make a version of Braid using Blueprints years ago right around the time UE4 was released just to prove he could. Beyond that engines like Godot are coming close to matching Unity's 2D capabilities.

Okay I watched this entire video and didn't see any sandfoxes, what gives?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    DayZ
    For anything 2D unity is terrible .... except for every other engine (and especially unreal) is even worse

The hell are you talking about? Unity for 2D is fairly simple but powerful enough to make the Ori games. Thanks to Paper2D Unreal is capable of making stuff like The Siege and the Sandfox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=786nDr2pglg

Hell I've seen a dude make a version of Braid using Blueprints years ago right around the time UE4 was released just to prove he could. Beyond that engines like Godot are coming close to matching Unity's 2D capabilities.

Okay I watched this entire video and didn't see any sandfoxes, what gives?

Part of me could feel this post coming

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    DayZ
    The title implied a fox...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    l_g wrote: »
    I saw it on streams a lot a while back at my local bar.

Man, we really are living in the 21st century now!
    It's such a strange thing to hear that video game streams are everyday and mainstream enough to just be on a local bar's TVs!

I mean, my local bar is specifically an esports, streaming and boardgame bar. It’s been very successful and they will be opening up a second location in a month or two.

If I could go to a bar to play board games and Rock Band, I would go there all the time.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    They are putting out new content more quickly than I expected.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    l_g wrote: »
    I saw it on streams a lot a while back at my local bar.

Man, we really are living in the 21st century now!
    It's such a strange thing to hear that video game streams are everyday and mainstream enough to just be on a local bar's TVs!

I mean, my local bar is specifically an esports, streaming and boardgame bar. It’s been very successful and they will be opening up a second location in a month or two.

If I could go to a bar to play board games and Rock Band, I would go there all the time.

We now have at least 2 places even here in Wichita where one could do that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I would love to go out and play board games with folks. But ugh, the effort.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    Speaking of indie games not coming out, indie studio Forgotten Key, the developers of open-world bird adventure AER: Memories of Old, are closing after 7 years: https://medium.com/@Krumbukt/forgotten-key-prepares-for-shutdown-d5a626d35dc5

They are going to try to keep AER available everywhere, and have also released playable prototype demos of two games they were working on, Down the Well (a kinda spooky underground adventure based on Scandinavian folklore) and Vind (another flight-based exploration game similar to AER) which you can find in that Medium link.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Spy Party

The 90s throwback shooter Dusk has sold 69,420 copies since launching as a Steam exclusive last month, according to the game's producer Dave Oshry.

Oshry took to Twitter to celebrate the milestone, where he provided some interesting sales figures compiled after the game properly launched.

Dusk pulled in 8,000 pre-orders and sold 22,000 copies during early access, eventually selling an additional 40,000 after releasing in December 2018.

He attributes the continued success in part to the Steam Winter Sale coniciding with the game's 15 percent launch discount. "Launching before the Steam Winter Sale and extending the discount through the sale was a huge part of our successful launch," he tweeted.

The game sold an average of 1,100 copies per day during the sale, and between 200-500 per day at the game's full price on average since the sale ended.

In closing, Oshry mentioned that the game was on 105,000 wishlists on Steam at its launch, and is currently on around 180,000.

Wishlishts are a big factor for determining player interest on Steam, and Oshry pointed out that Dusk's conversion rate from wishlish to purchase was around 15 percent.

Nice.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    DayZ
    https://youtu.be/vOdcl39LRo0

Katana Zero is a fast paced action game where the player character can see into the future, meaning each death is merely a failed scenario played out in your head and the only "real" run is the one you survive by anticipating all the enemy locations you now know from the last time you died. There's also some time manipulation involved, looks like

Too bad it's a 2D action platformer so I'll never be able to play it! Can we start making other kinds of games again now?

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    2D action platformer is probably one of the more small team friendly genres soooooo probably not.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DayZ
    I mean, I know. I know exactly why. It's just a bummer for me

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Not a fan of the genre or is this something else?

• Options
    DayZ
    I'm horrendously bad at 2D platformers. I didn't grow up playing the style of games that most retro indies like to throw back to, so I don't have the muscle memory or the skills to make those jumps or make the little twitches to avoid a hit or whatever. 3D games are more complex but paradoxically I feel like I have way more control over my movement so they're rarely a problem for me

I keep giving retro platformers a chance because so many of them have an aesthetic I really want to experience, and I keep bouncing off. Shovel Knight is the only one I've really enjoyed and that's partly because the checkpointing is pretty generous, but even then I can't play for extended periods. After Hollow Knight crushed me I just had to decide I have to steer clear

• Options
    DayZ
    It's absolutely a me problem and not an indie dev's problem

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    It's not only a you problem though. I see a lot of cool looking games that I then either end up avoiding or refunding because I find 2d platforming incredibly frustrating and not at all fun.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Spy Party
    For anyone at PAX South this weekend:

• Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Spy Party
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh9Liu_czMM&feature=youtu.be

Road to Guangdong is a new road-trip driving game from the publisher (but not the developers, I don't think?) of Jalopy.This time instead of driving through the Soviet Union, you're a young art student named Sunny and along with your aunt Guu Ma must travel through China to learn secret recipes and reunite with family and friends to save your family restaurant, along with maintaining your beat-up old car throughout the trip.

• Options
    Darn, looks like it's dead.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Spy Party

dude's still working on the game

Brolo on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    not sure that's the tweet you were looking for

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    The website isn't up anymore.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    The website is up right now
    http://www.hempuli.com/Baba/
    You can even play the IGF entry
    https://hempuli.itch.io/baba-is-you

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    Cool. I tried it earlier today, maybe i misspelled it.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    Gvzbgul is informed

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Ah. I checked the site which, like the trailer, said it was a 2018 release, and then checked the blog, which hadn't... wait, not it has been updating recently. I just got confused by the different date format.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Spy Party

Man the games they're making inside of Dreams are looking ambitious

I wonder if they'll port dreams over to PS5, shame if it only got a year or two to shine late in the PS4's lifecycle

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Momentum filled?

What does this mean?

Fast paced?

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    It means the bullets are full of speed.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Star Citizen
    isn't everything momentum-filled at all times, definitionally

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    isn't everything momentum-filled at all times, definitionally

Depends on frame of reference? I think. Not my major.

Momentum = mass x velocity though, so pretty much. (Er... some caveats, as photons have momentum without mass)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Yeah momentum is determined partly by velocity, and calculating velocity requires a frame of reference. I (and the rest of the planet) have momentum if we use the Sun as a frame of reference, but using Earth as a frame of reference I have no momentum because I'm currently sitting on my ass.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I wonder if that's a brag on the physics system and having actual physical projectiles, which is always excellent when pulled off correctly.

Like I'm sorry if I'm being a dick about this I've just never heard that turn of phrase and I am just aflame with curiosity now.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    I wonder how hard the modeling is in dreams

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I wonder if that's a brag on the physics system and having actual physical projectiles, which is always excellent when pulled off correctly.

Like I'm sorry if I'm being a dick about this I've just never heard that turn of phrase and I am just aflame with curiosity now.

I'd temper your expectations because it almost certainly just means "fast-paced run and gun"

This discussion has been closed.