As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Blade Runner 2049] More human than human

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    This universe is like the world of the X-Men if being a mutant came with little to no actual powers. To me it's a powerful statement on how we accept the discriminatory framework of the society we're given, even if that society is a fictional society.

Not exactly, all Replicants are supposed to be able to do totally inhuman things form time to time, and depending on what they were built for. Super strength seems to be common (especially for construction workers and soldiers), being able to take eggs out of boiling water without feeling it etc. 2049 downplayed this from the original.

Considering how tough and strong K is I'm not so sure it's actually downplayed that much. He gets slammed through walls, stabbed with blades, falls multiple floors down on his back and can snap an ordinary human like a twig. All of this without losing his step. The only thing that stops him is a completely ruptured liver/kidney, and even that takes hours to get him down (an ordinary human would be dead within minutes).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    This universe is like the world of the X-Men if being a mutant came with little to no actual powers. To me it's a powerful statement on how we accept the discriminatory framework of the society we're given, even if that society is a fictional society.

Not exactly, all Replicants are supposed to be able to do totally inhuman things form time to time, and depending on what they were built for. Super strength seems to be common (especially for construction workers and soldiers), being able to take eggs out of boiling water without feeling it etc. 2049 downplayed this from the original.

The skin jobs from the first move we're designed for offworld use. They were supposed to be able to survive in the harshness of space. Joe was designed for use on Earth where you probably weren't going to need such traits. It seems the lack of a pain response is pretty universal though.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Everyone talks about the animals being "fakes," but when the replicants of the world are basically "real" humans, just tailored for specific tasks and and programmed somewhat and we tell ourselves they aren't "real" in order to avoid any sticky moral and ethical questions about utilizing them as disposable slave labor...

Are the animals for sale "fake?" Or are they pretty much the real article, if perhaps enhanced in particular ways to make them hardier for the environments they are being sold?

When I learned recently that replicants were genetically engineered people, not machines, I realized that the real vs fake dichotomy of the films is 100% made up, a social perception like race, or [that one China Meiville book I'm not naming because this comparison is a spoiler but if you've read it you know]. A genetically engineered person is still a person, a replicant dog is still flesh and blood and a dog. This universe is like the world of the X-Men if being a mutant came with little to no actual powers. To me it's a powerful statement on how we accept the discriminatory framework of the society we're given, even if that society is a fictional society. Deckard doesn't hunt people, he hunts replicants, right? And it's hard because they look and act just like people, like they're regular people, you can't even tell the difference.

I don't know if the films tell us at any point that the animals are machines. I prefer to believe that they're replicants. Ie., they're just animals, and whether they were designed or descended doesn't make any difference. Just like the people.

The first film doesn't really convey to the audience that replicants are fully biological, but 2049 says right it right in the opening text. I mean, it makes sense that they were still fully biological back in the original film, but cultural awareness of genetic engineering, cloning, etc. wasn't at a point where you could use short statements and have people pick up on it, and I guess the way that Scott utilized light techniques to give replicants an "artificial" look to the eyes made most people assume (incorrectly) they were robotic somehow.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Everyone talks about the animals being "fakes," but when the replicants of the world are basically "real" humans, just tailored for specific tasks and and programmed somewhat and we tell ourselves they aren't "real" in order to avoid any sticky moral and ethical questions about utilizing them as disposable slave labor...

Are the animals for sale "fake?" Or are they pretty much the real article, if perhaps enhanced in particular ways to make them hardier for the environments they are being sold?

When I learned recently that replicants were genetically engineered people, not machines, I realized that the real vs fake dichotomy of the films is 100% made up, a social perception like race, or [that one China Meiville book I'm not naming because this comparison is a spoiler but if you've read it you know]. A genetically engineered person is still a person, a replicant dog is still flesh and blood and a dog. This universe is like the world of the X-Men if being a mutant came with little to no actual powers. To me it's a powerful statement on how we accept the discriminatory framework of the society we're given, even if that society is a fictional society. Deckard doesn't hunt people, he hunts replicants, right? And it's hard because they look and act just like people, like they're regular people, you can't even tell the difference.

I don't know if the films tell us at any point that the animals are machines. I prefer to believe that they're replicants. Ie., they're just animals, and whether they were designed or descended doesn't make any difference. Just like the people.

The first film doesn't really convey to the audience that replicants are fully biological, but 2049 says right it right in the opening text. I mean, it makes sense that they were still fully biological back in the original film, but cultural awareness of genetic engineering, cloning, etc. wasn't at a point where you could use short statements and have people pick up on it, and I guess the way that Scott utilized light techniques to give replicants an "artificial" look to the eyes made most people assume (incorrectly) they were robotic somehow.

Well, the opening text in Blade Runner says “in the early 21st century the Tyrell Corporation advanced robot evolution to the nexus phase...”

It’s a bit of a misdirect, but as you mentioned probably due to the cultural awareness of the time.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular

I don't remember if it's in Blade Runner, but Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep made it explicitly clear that the ersatz animals of the time were robots with control panels and all, while the replicants were not.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

I don't remember if it's in Blade Runner, but Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep made it explicitly clear that the ersatz animals of the time were robots with control panels and all, while the replicants were not.

That'd have to be from the novel. There were no control panels anywhere in Bladerunner.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    michaeljackmichaeljack Registered User new member
    Hey, I'm searching this warm Blade Runner 2049 coat for Winter season. Can anyone know the site where I can get this in cheap price? https://imgur.com/Q27XfCJ

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Hey, I'm searching this warm Blade Runner 2049 coat for Winter season. Can anyone know the site where I can get this in cheap price? https://imgur.com/Q27XfCJ

There are numerous knock-off sites retailing it for about 150$
    But considering that his coat is actually laminated cotton (which has been treated to look like it was leather) you're not going to find an exact copy.

P.S: It's actually pretty interesting. Since animal are supposed to be super rare in Bladerunner the costume designer went out of her way to use synthetic and plant-based materials.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Just got out from seeing it again, in 2D this time.

Still stunning.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular

I thought you were a foreign bot when you posted that.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I initially thought that coat would look silly in the real world. I've shifted to reserving judgement.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Yeah, what was going on with his left coat lapel

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

It's asymmetrical because it's functional. Remember how he fastens the collar up to cover the lower half of his face?

• Options
    Paladin wrote: »

It's asymmetrical because it's functional. Remember how he fastens the collar up to cover the lower half of his face?

Which is what I love about it so, so much. But again, concerned that it looks stupid in real life. Also, it's an expensive coat, but for a lined leather trench coat, even the $200 on Amazon isn't bad.

• Options
    michaeljackmichaeljack Registered User new member

I thought you were a foreign bot when you posted that.

You thought but I'm not bot

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I didn't think you were a bot but now I think you might be a bot. Let's get to the bottom of this. You're in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, it's crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can't, not without your help. But you're not helping. Why is that?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    What's a tortoise?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I've started asking Voight-Kampff questions to break the ice with my Tinder matches to weed out bots. I'm convinced that the majority of these "bots" are just some guy sitting behind a dozen android VMs. That or chatbots have become frighteningly advanced.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    That or chatbots have become frighteningly advanced.
    If they are advanced enough to procreate, you've got a sequel on your hands.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Oh lord, this franchise.

I'm very late to the party. My girlfriend likes Noir and I like Android: Netrunner, so we gave this a shot and we were enthralled with the original last week. And we saw 2047 yesterday, and it was so compelling. We've been discussing it for two days.

Joi best waifu.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    I saw it for a third time today. Still pretty amazing! But yes, the word is "tree" rather than "dream," for those still keeping track of that question from a while ago.

• Options
    I saw it for a third time today. Still pretty amazing! But yes, the word is "tree" rather than "dream," for those still keeping track of that question from a while ago.

I paid special attention to that line on my second viewing and I 100% agree. (Especially considering Mariette's earlier comments about the tree in K's photo.)

Still, I'm sure we'll have to wait for the BD release to finally put that one to bed.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Cantido wrote: »
    Oh lord, this franchise.

I'm very late to the party. My girlfriend likes Noir and I like Android: Netrunner, so we gave this a shot and we were enthralled with the original last week. And we saw 2047 yesterday, and it was so compelling. We've been discussing it for two days.

Joi best waifu.

@Cantido So Wallace is totes a Jinteki deck that splashed for Archived Memories and Boom! yeah?

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Oh lord, this franchise.

Joi best waifu.

@Cantido So Wallace is totes a Jinteki deck that splashed for Archived Memories and Boom! yeah?

I don't know what this means, but I sincerely appreciate that someone out there does. PA nerds are the best.

• Options
    Oh lord, this franchise.

Joi best waifu.

I don't know what this means, but I sincerely appreciate that someone out there does. PA nerds are the best.

I'm also glad I'm not the only one who sees that Mega Man X is a children's version of Blade Runner.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Oh lord, this franchise.

Joi best waifu.

Andoid: Netrunner is a cyberpunk deckbuilding game and some of the cards have flavor and scenarios that are similar to scenes from the movie. I keep going back to a deck I was working on, but I want to make a Wallace Corp themed deck that uses Improved Protein Source, "Clones are not people", Archived Memories, and .

The first two cards are from the Jinteki corporation, which is a Japanese zaibatsu that focuses mostly on cloning and biotech (hence Wallace). Their playstyle is mostly mind games and murder. The third is from Haas-Bioroid, which has a focus on robotics for flavor, and in game tends to do things that screw with the game's tempo. The fourth is a Weyland card, which is pretty much like the corp from Aliens. Lots of transparently evil things for profit and private military personnel and equipment. That card was released as a story reason for why a Runner ID is no longer in the game, they shot a missile at his apartment. There's also a fourth corporation called NBN that focuses on media and surveillance.

On the runner side there's three factions. Anarch, who focus on aggressive play with lots of viruses and brain damage from drugs they use to hack better (and have fun), better in the early game. Criminals, who focus on money and go at the corps in a much more organized insider threat fashion, more balanced. And Shapers, who hack because it's fun and typically have the most complicated setup, have a hard time early on but very difficult to beat once they're set up.

• Options
    The miniatures in this movie are pretty insane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLxxbfsj8IM

• Options
    Oh lord, this franchise.

Joi best waifu.

I'm also glad I'm not the only one who sees that Mega Man X is a children's version of Blade Runner.

If you listen to The Protomen and their version of Mega Man, there's quite a few parallels there too.

• Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Oh lord, this franchise.

Joi best waifu.

If you listen to The Protomen and their version of Mega Man, there's quite a few parallels there too.

Oh, and overwatch :D

• Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular

Wow, that LA cityscape. They could play an amazing, huge game of Infinity there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Visskar wrote: »

Wow, that LA cityscape. They could play an amazing, huge game of Infinity there.

Man, it is so cool to see how physical modeling can still be used and is enhanced on so many levels by computer modeling now. Designing the structures and then laser etching the pieces out...incredible.

• Options
    Visskar wrote: »

Man, it is so cool to see how physical modeling can still be used and is enhanced on so many levels by computer modeling now. Designing the structures and then laser etching the pieces out...incredible.

It's easy to watch a movie and think "oh, that scene is CGI". It's so awesome when you see that some filmmakers still care about doing incredible practical effects, especially when the result is that breathtaking.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    It worked out, too, because this movie was the first new release in I don't even know how long to occasionally make me think "how did they do that?" while watching. Usually the answer is just so obviously "with cgi."

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Honestly the work done with real lighting in this film deserves all of the oscars, even best actor.

5l44qssu2ejd.jpeg

Look at this shit.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Is there any kind of lighting other than real lighting? Like do some movies use fake lights?

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Is there any kind of lighting other than real lighting? Like do some movies use fake lights?

Think of a Pixar film--animated movies are lit using computer generated lighting all the way through. When live action movies have CG elements, they also use computer lighting, although they're often trying to match the real lighting of those elements of the scene which have actually been filmed.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

So much lighting and color is handled in post, yes.

These kinds of rigs are not the norm

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Also a lot of movies shoot digitally, and one of the weird things about today’s digital cameras is that you can basically film the shot, and then later go back and decide what your settings were—completely altering how bright or dark, what colors or color pallette you’re using, etc. Very different from the days of yore, when you shot on film and had to guess by experience and instinct and the naked eye how it would look later on.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Ronin356Ronin356 Nowhere MORegistered User regular
    I hope this film wins an Ocsar. Both stunning and beautiful!

Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time.
    Georgia O'Keeffe
    Be sure to like my Comic Book "Last Words" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Last-Words-The-Comic-Book/458405034287767
    and Magenta the Witchgirl!: http://www.drunkduck.com/Magenta_the_Witchgirl/

• Options
    Yeah if it doesn't win best costumes for Gosling's weird coat then there's no justice in the world.