Options

Neo-[Tech Thread] for the cyberpunk present where Net Neutrality has been murdered

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I take back every mean thing I ever said about our dystopian cyberpunk present. Clearly, we live in the best of all possible timelines.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/01/with-ingestible-pill-you-can-track-fart-development-in-real-time-on-your-phone/

Can I have it send me alerts when my fart is at 80% so I know when to levee to the room

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »
    i5-2500k is Sandy Bridge, right?

Yes but you can overclock it to ~4GHz on stock cooling (assuming airconditioned place..) if you have reasonable airflow in your case. At least, mine was that way for a year or so until I retired it.

Yeah I might finally give this a go.

Which monitoring software is good these days?

• Options
    Hmm my PC has an i5-4690K and the fiancee's laptop has i7-6700HQ shit I didn't even realize she had an octocore

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

Yes but you can overclock it to ~4GHz on stock cooling (assuming airconditioned place..) if you have reasonable airflow in your case. At least, mine was that way for a year or so until I retired it.

I didn't use any, so.. no idea.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular

I use Open Hardware Monitor to keep an eye on things when running stress tests.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Well looks like I'm safe from the Intel patch crap. My fiancee's processor is Skylake, and mine is a Devils-Canyon (way cooler name). So horrary for small miracles.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Sorry to break to you, Bucketman, but Devil's Canyon = Haswell.

There's no escaping this.

• Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    They did that last year as well, and in Hamburg in 2014. Probably been touring the asian circuit in the meantime.

I'd be more enthused if they were interesting robots, but they're not.

They have been at every trade fair I've been to in the last 5 years. Which were all plastic and automation industry specific ones.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Well fuck.

Hopefully its not so bad for me since I mostly just do gaming and like homework on my PC

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

Well fuck.

Hopefully its not so bad for me since I mostly just do gaming and like homework on my PC

It's unlikely you'll notice any drop in performance.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Because it's unlikely they'll fix it?
    Really, Spectre is likely to see a significant % CPU speed reduction across the board.

But if your games are not processor dependent, you'll probably be fine.
    Off the top of my head, it'll be things like Minecraft map generation that'll hit the CPU hard and likely suffer.
    Most games rely on the GPU for graphics processing instead, and RAM, for speed.

Older PCs where you are pushing close to CPU capacity are likely to be affected a lot though.
    How close 'close' is, is a wild guess.
    Worst case scenario would be either flushing the cache after a failed speculative read, or turning speculative execution off.

But my money's currently on 'Companies only address the vectors that weaponize Spectre, like Meltdown, and build new processors instead'

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

Well fuck.

The intel bug goes allllllll the way back to Pentium Pro.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, in everyone's favorite current tech bubble, it's even easier than I expected to get money:

http://www.nasdaq.com/press-release/long-island-iced-tea-corp-to-rebrand-as-long-blockchain-corp-20171221-00468
    Long Island Iced Tea Corp. to Rebrand as “Long Blockchain Corp.”

Next in on this action: Kodak have launched their own cryptocurrency
    Shares in iconic film company Eastman Kodak rose by 117 per cent on Tuesday as the company announced plans to put out a cryptocurrency built on blockchain technology that will help photographers share and licence their work in exchange for payment.
    . . .
    "For many in the tech industry, 'blockchain' and 'cryptocurrency' are hot buzzwords, but for photographers who've long struggled to assert control over their work and how it's used, these buzzwords are the keys to solving what felt like an unsolvable problem," Kodak CEO Jeff Clarke said.

"Kodak has always sought to democratize photography and make licensing fair to artists. These technologies give the photography community an innovative and easy way to do just that," Clarke said.

This seems slightly more reasonable than an iced tea company, I guess? But it also feels like they're just sticking 'blockchain' in front of stuff and hoping magic happens.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Meanwhile, in everyone's favorite current tech bubble, it's even easier than I expected to get money:

http://www.nasdaq.com/press-release/long-island-iced-tea-corp-to-rebrand-as-long-blockchain-corp-20171221-00468
    Long Island Iced Tea Corp. to Rebrand as “Long Blockchain Corp.”

Next in on this action: Kodak have launched their own cryptocurrency
    Shares in iconic film company Eastman Kodak rose by 117 per cent on Tuesday as the company announced plans to put out a cryptocurrency built on blockchain technology that will help photographers share and licence their work in exchange for payment.
    . . .
    "For many in the tech industry, 'blockchain' and 'cryptocurrency' are hot buzzwords, but for photographers who've long struggled to assert control over their work and how it's used, these buzzwords are the keys to solving what felt like an unsolvable problem," Kodak CEO Jeff Clarke said.

"Kodak has always sought to democratize photography and make licensing fair to artists. These technologies give the photography community an innovative and easy way to do just that," Clarke said.

This seems slightly more reasonable than an iced tea company, I guess? But it also feels like they're just sticking 'blockchain' in front of stuff and hoping magic happens.

AAhtBz1.jpg

A Kodak-branded bitcoin miner labelled the "KashMiner" has been displayed at the photography company's booth at CES 2018, with Kodak Blockchain Project licensee Spotlite Energy Systems of California showcasing the product.

According to the Kodak licensee, an upfront payment of $3,400 for a two-year contract would lead to bitcoin production value of around $375 per month at current bitcoin value.

The partnership would provide the licensee with half of the resulting $9,000 made over the 24-month period.

Bitcoin production would reach around $25 per day on the Kodak Bitcoin HashPower Upfront Payment Plan.

The Kodak-licensed bitcoin miner was showcased on the same day that Kodak announced its own KodakCoin cryptocurrency utilising blockchain security technology, which it said is aimed at enabling image rights management for photographers

http://www.zdnet.com/article/kodak-bitcoin-miner-on-display-at-ces-2018/

we have lost our way

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    It's kinda funny how easy it is to spot this stock bubble though

• Options
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I mean

if that's true

Fuck him, he deserves it

• Options
    kodak is still relevant in 2018? Nice.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    On the one hand, the companies jumping into blockchain is dumb. On the other, shit, their stock leapt up each time, why WOULDN'T they jump on this train? I'd imagine any employee with some stock options and some foresight was happy for a hump and dump. Especially at Kodak. (No idea how the iced tea company does generally, I guess selling iced tea is a fairly evergreen proposition)

• Options
    wait, kodak sells tea?

I thought they just sold like, ye olde camera stuff

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    kodak is still relevant in 2018? Nice.

They are desperately trying to be, at least.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the picture of that kodak thing reminds me of the pictures of that Phantom console way back in the day

definitely not made in some madmans garage no sir

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Looks like a prop from ghostbusters...

... 2

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    the picture of that kodak thing reminds me of the pictures of that Phantom console way back in the day

definitely not made in some madmans garage no sir

no no see just pay me $5000 dollars for it and I guarantee you if you just plug it in you will make back infinity money

also I want half of the infinity money you make just in case this works

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Where do I send the payment?

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    wait, kodak sells tea?

no they're referring to the Long Island Iced Tea company which also diversified into cryptocurrency and changed their name to something involving the word "blockchain"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I just got my replacement phone, and in order to transfer my SMS and contacts from my old phone to my new one, I had to approve the transfer on the screen of the old phone.

Considering the screen on the old phone doesn't work, it was just me tapping a white screen blindly trying to hit the approve button.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    wait, kodak sells tea?

no they're referring to the Long Island Iced Tea company which also diversified into cryptocurrency and changed their name to something involving the word "blockchain"
    Have they not heard of global warming? In five to eight years ice tea is going to be doing a killing!

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
  • Options
    What's the best windows archive utility?

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    What's the best windows archive utility?

Winrar and 7zip are both pretty good. I prefer 7zip because it has a lot of options and it is free.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Yeah I've continued to use 7zip because i haven't had a need to find anything new since I started using it several years ago.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    wait, kodak sells tea?

ah I thought it was a reference to kodak directly

the local kodak guy in syracuse was on the news tv talking about it and my eyes almost rolled out of my head

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Anyone have thoughts/experience with UAG phone covers?

I bought one to try and keep my new phone from breaking, but didn't look too closely at it when ordering and was surprised that the backing of it was plastic for some reason? Thought it looked vaguely metallic.

The buttons are a bit stiff but not much of a problem as far as I can tell though.

• Options
    ok I have both WinRAR and 7Zip was just trying to get an idea

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Anyone have thoughts/experience with UAG phone covers?

I bought one to try and keep my new phone from breaking, but didn't look too closely at it when ordering and was surprised that the backing of it was plastic for some reason? Thought it looked vaguely metallic.

The buttons are a bit stiff but not much of a problem as far as I can tell though.

I had one on my iPad for like four years. Tough as heel and the buttons will get better with use

• Options
    So I just archived a folder

and it went from 5.9 GB

to 4.9GB as an archive

uh, I thought it would...compress more...?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Depends what's in it, and what compression algorithm you're using. Some filetypes are already close to maximum efficiency.

• Options
    I have a shit ton of PDFs so maybe those are already really close? I mean it says the compression ratio is over 90% so I was just...surprised, I guess.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's possible to compress a file and have it end up larger than you started with.

Computers!

This discussion has been closed.