Options

Neo-[Tech Thread] for the cyberpunk present where Net Neutrality has been murdered

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    15g43o92nebs.jpeg

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I want, and have always wanted, the most off-the-rails neon lit computer case possible. Those last three cases excite me so much

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I like the cooler master 500. Just two big ass fans up front. Also inwin's cases. They just have some bonkers shit.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    I got a new PC (a cheap refurb HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF). I added the hard drive from my old PC to it (as a second hard drive) and when I turned on the PC it restored Windows to my old PC.

After running updates last night I turned it back on this morning and it still is my old desktop and everything, but now it says Activate Windows (probably since it's detecting a Dell OEM version on an HP motherboard), but I can't seem to activate it. The code that came with my HP is for Windows 10 Pro, my old PC (and what the new one launches from that drive) is Windows 10 Home that was upgraded from Windows 8. I can't find the activation key for the old PC because it's been 5 years and 4 moves.

Unsure what to do? I just expected to use my files from the old hard drive, but now that it launched to my old desktop I really don't want to set everything back up again. Is there any way I can legally activate it? I tried the generic codes on the Windows support site, and I tried to use the troubleshooting in the activation settings, but it gives me an error that the servers are unavailable.

There's an activation menu in the control panel, you should be able to enter the HP's code there and if it says that it can't be activated automatically it should give you the option to activate by phone. That should work with your HP code.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I want that Corsair case posted. It looks cool.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I want that Corsair case posted. It looks cool.

Yeah I just looked up the price and now I am really thinking about a whole new build around it. . .

I should probably wait until after my looming inevitable move.

But I don't wanna.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I have the Corsair monolith looking one. Edgy cases always look a little silly to me, and as someone who used to sleep in the same room as my computer I still can't stand having lights on it.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    minimalist case designs erry day

though I'm sort of digging this one:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/crystal-series-570x-rgb-mirror-black-tempered-glass-premium-atx-mid-tower-case

... dunno if I could handle ALL THE LEDS though, especially since my PC is about 2 and a half feet from my head

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'm using a Corsair 600Q. Simple, no fancy lights, great cooling. Still, I kind of want something a little better looking. If the Silverstone PM02 reviews well and the front airflow isn't too blocked off (like too many cases today) I might move my PC into one.

pm02b-g-34right-top.jpg

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    If you're talking about minimalist case designs and not talking about the Fractal Design cases you're doing it wrong

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    I got a new PC (a cheap refurb HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF). I added the hard drive from my old PC to it (as a second hard drive) and when I turned on the PC it restored Windows to my old PC.

After running updates last night I turned it back on this morning and it still is my old desktop and everything, but now it says Activate Windows (probably since it's detecting a Dell OEM version on an HP motherboard), but I can't seem to activate it. The code that came with my HP is for Windows 10 Pro, my old PC (and what the new one launches from that drive) is Windows 10 Home that was upgraded from Windows 8. I can't find the activation key for the old PC because it's been 5 years and 4 moves.

Unsure what to do? I just expected to use my files from the old hard drive, but now that it launched to my old desktop I really don't want to set everything back up again. Is there any way I can legally activate it? I tried the generic codes on the Windows support site, and I tried to use the troubleshooting in the activation settings, but it gives me an error that the servers are unavailable.

There's an activation menu in the control panel, you should be able to enter the HP's code there and if it says that it can't be activated automatically it should give you the option to activate by phone. That should work with your HP code.

Thanks! Calling them solved it.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    If you're talking about minimalist case designs and not talking about the Fractal Design cases you're doing it wrong

They need better branding, because "Fractal Design" does NOT bring to mind those good utilitarian cases. And they look lovely and plain and I just want it to sit quietly and let eyes slide right past it.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Yeah fractal design sounds like it's describing the exact opposite of a simple black pc case.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I'm still using this case from 2012: http://www.corsair.com/en-ww/obsidian-series-550d-mid-tower-quiet-case. Side panel on, of course, and no 3.5 drive cages installed for best airflow from front to back. I've got my H100 mounted to exhaust out the top, the two fans on the front, and one fan at the back. This reminds me though, it's been fucking AGES since I cleaned that bottom slide-out filter under the PSU and bottom fan slot...

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Hey yeah, I got one of those Corsair monoliths too. Pretty happy with it so far. Big hunk of black plastic on my desk.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I have a Corsair 200R. Black monolith for life.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I've got an NZXT h630, which is enormous, but I love it.

v2otaatsijgl.jpg

It's got two 200mm fans at the front to give you an idea of scale

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    NZXT makes excellent cases. I have a Corsair Spec-01 and it's great, but if I do a new build I'll probably go with one of the NZXT S340s, or maybe the S340 elite if I really want that tempered glass side panel.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    For these cases that have slab front covers with sound padding in them, how do the big fans behind get air? Are there covert intakes hidden around the front piece?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    For these cases that have slab front covers with sound padding in them, how do the big fans behind get air? Are there covert intakes hidden around the front piece?

Fractal Design has air holes on the sides, NZXT does them on top and bottom

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Mine has a vent running all the way down the side and a smaller one at the bottom of the panel.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    That Asus one looks like someone decapitated a Transformer.

Edit That's what I get for writing a reply before reading the current page.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Cryptominers are really ruining everything.

edocqnauvfxz.jpg

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Do people especially like the 1070 or is this across the board? Tabarnak, graphics cards did not need to get more expensive.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Even on the low end, prices are inflating. I bought a 1050 Ti for $120 (after a rebate) with free shipping the week they came out, now the cheapest in-stock 1050 Ti on NewEgg is $250 + $18 shipping.

The cheapest 1080 is over $1100, 6GB 1060s are over $400, Radeon RX 570s are about $575.

jgeis on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    All of those are also being sold third party sellers. Newegg's own prices are normal retail, $450-600, and not insane like the price gouging third parties.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    All of those are also being sold third party sellers. Newegg's own prices are normal retail, $450-600, and not insane like the price gouging third parties.

NewEgg has 0 1070s of any variety in stock other than the one in the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming Box.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    not a bubble 8-) 8-) 8-)

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Jesus.

And the GTX 1060 6GB (the card I would most likely upgrade my 760 to later this year) is currently sitting at the $500-600 range.

That's completely ludicrous.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Does anyone want to buy a GTX680 for USD$1600 so I can get an upgrade to a 1080Ti?

No?

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Just buy a fucking Titan at that point.....

I also read that many people are using credit cards to buy this stuff. Wtf.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Sweet.
    How much use do you think an ex-miner video card would have on it?
    Just gotta hold on and get a deal when the bubble implodes I reckon.

discrider on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    spend $6000 on 4 video cards (with credit cards)

file bankruptcy

farm cryptocurrency with your apartment that has electricity included in rent

sell cryptocurrency for $7000 in 9 years

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    cant they just make a PCI-E card that only does mining

do the miners really need like... directx12 support

• Options
    iirc, manufacturers are making cards like that, but not in anything like the quantities needed to dent the inflation/they've not made it to market yet.

it's dumb

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    cant they just make a PCI-E card that only does mining

do the miners really need like... directx12 support

ASIC miners are a thing, and definitely work more efficiently than using the GPU processor to do it

GPU works great as symmetrical calculations (like that of a cryptocurrency) so of course they are great for it.

NewEgg just needs to limit it to like 2 a household.

• Options
    Boy I am real glad I bought a 1070 when I did.

• Options
    Wonder how this is going to affect the respective companies revenue and financial statements and if that'll translate into higher stock

This discussion has been closed.