Options

Neo-[Tech Thread] for the cyberpunk present where Net Neutrality has been murdered

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    windows defender with the caveat you run an ad-blocker and/or noscript in your web browser.

the last malware intrusion I got was from a flash ad, and it completely bypassed windows defender (this is back when it was microsoft security essentials). maybe things are better now but prevention is the best medicine

I use Thunderbird as a combo mail client/RSS reader. The only computer virus I've ever gotten was a Javascript injection through an ad on an article I was reading. After I recovered from the virus, I disabled Javascript in Thunderbird and installed an ad-blocker.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I have a Yamaha receiver and speaker setup and I <3 it so. Was more than 500 bucks though. The main thing you need is sufficient inputs for your needs and good speakers. There's no point using a nice amp head to power rubbish speakers. If you have the time/patience, you can always trawl the local classifieds for a good high end speaker set at a reasonable price, then hook them up to a newer receiver that'll handle all the inputs you want.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Trump is trying to... nationalize the 5G spectrum for infrastructure and security purposes? What?

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I'm wanting to know why programs have increased the need for ram size and hard drive size and processing power over the decades but I keep finding silly self-help sites for fixing computers

Gah!

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    People don't want to use command line and want things like GUU and sound.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Trump is trying to... nationalize the 5G spectrum for infrastructure and security purposes? What?

Finally something he and the FCC Chairman can disagree on.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    oh shit, that's a bold play Ajit. Smarter people than you have tried.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018

Eh, the article says this is being tossed around by low-level staffers and it won't cross Trump's desk for another 6-8 months. The thinking is that all Huawei equipment (big market share in tower baseband/etc) is bugged by the Chinese government, and they win deals by being the lowest cost.

Huawei being banned from US 5G networks would be a Good Thing for me personally for job reasons, but it is a pretty odd idea overall that will never come to fruition.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

People like me. I don't even use keyboard shortcuts, I like to kick back and prop my feet up and only use the mouse to click on things.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    oh, well. it seems the spectre/meldown patches have finally hit my machines

visibly noticeable. i always have a streaming video of some sort going on, and last night I started noticing it dropping framerate while other things were going on

then i flip on my Macbook Pro with its Very New i7, and it can't do a 900p video @ 60FPS full screen anymore

nice! technology is real good

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    are you sure it was patches or are you just assuming

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    its known that the OS X patch last week was for for the Intel bugs

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Unless they really fucked up the patch, video decode on a modern i7 should be in a dedicated HW block in the GPU.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    Is this a thread digital photography folks hang out in? I'm looking to buy my first proper camera in close to ten years, and I'm so far out of the loop that I basically don't know anything anymore. More or less looking for a beginner camera, ideally not a fixed-lens situation. Under 1k USD or so?

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Is this a thread digital photography folks hang out in? I'm looking to buy my first proper camera in close to ten years, and I'm so far out of the loop that I basically don't know anything anymore. More or less looking for a beginner camera, ideally not a fixed-lens situation. Under 1k USD or so?

Not necessarily but I can at least point you in a direction to start. I'd start with reading a few of the roundup guides on Dpreview such as, https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-cameras-under-1000, https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-cameras-for-beginners, and https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-cameras-for-students

I'm going to greatly generalize but all of the cameras are going to perform about the same. It's really going to come down to what specific features you're looking for, how the camera feels in your hands (if you can try them out in a store), what size/weight you're comfortable carrying around, and whether or not you want a mirrorless or traditional SLR camera.

I highly suggest stopping by a local Best Buy or store that has cameras you can handle and play with a little bit. Starting out like you are the small differences between cameras aren't really going to make that much of a difference. What will make a difference is finding a camera whose button layout, menu design, viewfinder, and kit lens feels to best to you.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    There's also a photography thread in the AC, and there's been a fair few questions like this in the H/A forum as well.

But basically, yeah, read the guides on dpreview. One useful question to ask yourself is "do I want to go somewhere to take photos", or "do I want to take better photos when I'm going somewhere?". If it's the second one, then small size and weight are probably more important than you might think, because the best camera in the world is no good if it's always too big and heavy to bother hauling along with you.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    all i can tell you against digital cameras is that every time i post mine on craigslist a lot of people with identical requests to purchase them through obvious chargeback scams show up

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

People like me. I don't even use keyboard shortcuts, I like to kick back and prop my feet up and only use the mouse to click on things.

Which is sad, because you can navigate through directories so much faster using a command line.

• Options

Which is sad, because you can navigate through directories so much faster using a command line.

It's okay. I have never, nor will ever need to, navigate through a directory (whatever that is). Computers to me are merely tools to play videogames with, or surf the internet.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular

It's okay. I have never, nor will ever need to, navigate through a directory (whatever that is). Computers to me are merely tools to play videogames with, or surf the internet.

You are navigating through multiple directories at this very second.

hth

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I've been very slowly incorporating keyboard commands into my usage. My experience in things like Microsoft word or when I code has been improved dramatically with alt shortcuts and the like

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    yshxttek0wn7.png
    http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/volkswagen-emissions-testing-1.4509035

Oh you fuckers

You cartoonishly evil clown motherfuckers

Fuck you

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Well that's a headline I wasn't expecting.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's nut just VW. The lobby organisation EUGT that is responsible for the tests was created by VW, Daimler, BMW, and Bosch.

It's basically the cigarette industry redux.

• Options
    I don't understand how people use a computer and don't use keyboard shortcuts, using just the mouse is so slow

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    What if the other hand is busy and you find it easier to use a mouse one handed than a keyboard.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    yshxttek0wn7.png

Oh you fuckers

Fuck you

I actually first learned about this in an episode of a Netflix documentary called Dirty Money

They were originally gonna use human test subjects

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I put keyboard shortcuts that I use frequently on my extra mouse buttons. Checkmate.

• Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    According to German news sites they also used human subject.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    yshxttek0wn7.png

Oh you fuckers

Fuck you

I actually first learned about this in an episode of a Netflix documentary called Dirty Money

They were originally gonna use human test subjects

There are studies that use humans as test subjects for NO2 exposure. Consenting adults though, not apes.

This seems pretty unnessecary and evil but it's also not that unusual as far as I can tell? Testing toxic substances on primates, I mean.

• Options
    It's not like I never use a mouse but even stuff like in-browser shortcuts to open a new tab or cycle between tabs makes life better, never using any just seems crazy.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Psykoma wrote: »
    What if the other hand is busy and you find it easier to use a mouse one handed than a keyboard.

:winky:

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    no

• Options
    Kadith wrote: »

You are navigating through multiple directories at this very second.

hth

My god

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    navigating directories in bash is fun and makes people think I look like a computer hacker.

Also

I have a motorola Z 2 force edition and after a few months part of the screen is peeling away and I'm pissed off that I have to make a trip to the t-mo store.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I don't understand how people use a computer and don't use keyboard shortcuts, using just the mouse is so slow

My trackpad can go forward and back on a webpage, open a new tab, close the tab, change tabs, refresh the page and close the window all with gestures, I do not often need shortcuts.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    The side buttons on my mouse are bound to ctrl+tab and ctrl+w for maximum browsing efficiency. Well, as maximum as I can get with just the two extra buttons

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    We bought a new Dlink modem because our old one was getting shitty. The default DNS address in the settings belongs to Dlink themselves. I couldn't figure out why the modem was having serious connectivity issues until I triple-checked and realised that switching to Google's DNS servers hadn't "stuck" in the settings. Once I made absolutely sure my shit was set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, it's been solid as a fucking rock since.
    My only real question is, what kind of a modem and router manufacturer and seller makes their own DNS servers complete pieces of shit? That's like me building and selling a car but it explodes if you try to fill it up with Chris Hallett branded gasoline.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I've never heard of a router manufacturer setting default DNS servers

pulling ones from your ISP sure, but never coming with default set ones

are you sure your router wasn't trying to pass all your traffic through China/Russia/NK/USA intelligence??

zkHcp.jpg
This discussion has been closed.