Options

I'll be your 1-Up Girl! [Super Mario Odyssey]

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, the cubes are mucho suspicious. I'm sure they do something, but WHAT is still a ticklish little mystery.

It's kind of interesting that the camera requires so much input from the player. It hearkens back to that early era of 3D games. It can be wonky a few times but it mostly works. It's also fun to consider that 3rd person camera control in games is mostly a solved problem nowadays. Even modern Sonic games don't have that problem anymore.

And man, that poor Lakitu at the oasis didn't know what hit him when I captured him.

edzepp on
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Just started playing, only just reached Sand Kingdom, and... not impressed so far TBH.

I've played a lot of 3D platforming collect-a-thins and this certainly is another one. The mechanics feel a bit weird so far. The 'Homing Hat' move is something I don't want to do again with a Pro Controller... but I really like using the Pro for games.

Maybe I'm just waiting for that kind of moment where I first did a big jump on a Galaxy planetoid and thought _"This is amazing!"_

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    Just started playing, only just reached Sand Kingdom, and... not impressed so far TBH.

I've played a lot of 3D platforming collect-a-thins and this certainly is another one. The mechanics feel a bit weird so far. The 'Homing Hat' move is something I don't want to do again with a Pro Controller... but I really like using the Pro for games.

Maybe I'm just waiting for that kind of moment where I first did a big jump on a Galaxy planetoid and thought _"This is amazing!"_

Try with the joycons as nunchucks. Like... It kinda clicks.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Do the Sand Kingdom. There's a ton of really clever and weird and exceptionally well hidden stuff there. I spent a good three and a half hours wandering around that level.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    dporowski wrote: »

Yeah I think I will next time. Like I saw that screen at the start suggesting to do it that way. Looks like that approach is integral to the control experience.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Went through the first four or so kingdoms tonight (spent a decent bit of time in the sand kingdom but I haven’t been trying terribly hard to scrounge up every last moon and coin on my first trip through) and I’ve been having a good time. Moving around is satisfying and I don’t mind the motion controls at all, and the entire aesthetic experience of the game is pleasant in a way that just open the dopamine floodgates.

I do think I’m missing something for not ever having played a Mario game before, since so far it’s just a good time rather than the generation-defining experience it seems others are having from the early reaction. Maybe I just need to play more or take some time to reorient the way I approach the game, but even if it never reaches that next level, I’m pretty satisfied with it so far.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »

Yeah I think I will next time. Like I saw that screen at the start suggesting to do it that way. Looks like that approach is integral to the control experience.

I started off handheld, and it was... Fine. Then I swapped to joycons and kind of went "oh. Oh I see." I'm still getting my head around it, but it really feels like the designed way of interacting with the game, sort of like Splatoon and motion controls. The homing cap flick is just... Oh man. It feels right.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Yeah, so far this game is....fine? I haven't played any 3D Mario other than a little bit of Sunshine, but this just seems like a platformer with a bunch of bafmodads to collect.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    It's a really good platformer so far, but it's not transcendent the way Breath of the Wild is.

EDIT: I guess that's a ridiculous standard to hold any game to. Since BotW is as enjoyable a game as I've played in at least a decade.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Gave my 9 year old son a go with the joy cons. He already figured out you can throw the hat in a bunch of different ways with different gestures. I'm starting to see the magic here...

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    There’s a sound cue where you go zooming in on a target before starting a Zone?/mission? that I swear is ripped right out of Actraiser or some other SNES action RPG.

Loving this, by the way. So many little delights. Very much a Mario game, but a super weird one that pulls together a lot of the best lessons from games like Galaxy, 3D World/Land, and bizarrely, Mario Maker.

Edit: Also, for god’s sake, go into options and turn up the camera sensitivity to at least Normal immediately. Game felt markedly better after I shifted up (first to normal, then high).

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Pulling off a somersault jump (where you quickly change direction) in this feels less responsive than in 64. Needs more 'lead time', if that makes sense.
    And the triple jump is somehow less satisfying too, can't put my finger on why. It's still a really enjoyable game though.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    It's a really good platformer so far, but it's not transcendent the way Breath of the Wild is.

EDIT: I guess that's a ridiculous standard to hold any game to. Since BotW is as enjoyable a game as I've played in at least a decade.

Breath of the Wild had a lot of stuff going on on top of blowing all other open world games with climbing mechanics out of the water.

So far, Odyssey is like if you took all the poking and experimenting you did to find Korok seeds, added even more whimsy, and made it into a game.

It's not revolutionary for the genre, though mascot platformer isn't exactly a booming genre anymore, but it does reimagine Mario games quite a bit. All the Goombas, Bullet Bills, etc. we've been stomping to death for 30ish years now have uses when hatted. It doesn't make me think about what the future holds for a genre like BotW but Odyssey is an absolute joy so far.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Yep, I bought a Switch with the red Joycons + Odyssey, because it was about time. I need to get me some Zelda too in due time, but whenever I have a busy few weeks at work I'll let my dad have it so he can play Odyssey to his heart's content. I think it will delight him to no end.

• Options
    Out of Sand Kingdom and into Woodland Kingdom.

I still can't quite fall in love with this game. Maybe I've just played too many 3D platformers.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    DNOk2fBUEAEZz84.jpg

"Draw me like one of your French girls."

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Gotta say, playing with Joycons only feels very natural. Better than I thought it would be.

Up to Metro Kingdom now. I still say that any captured enemy with a mechanic where you have to pull and release momentum like the bulbs in Wooded and the worms on Forgotten Isle are just a whole lot of fun to mess about with.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I got up early on a Saturday to play this

This game is transcendent

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    *emerges from under pile of mountain dew cans*

It's Saturday already?

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Oh my god there's a (minor mechanic spoiler)
    VVVVV (MMMMM?) Flatmario segment

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Seems like the Hint Toad and amiibo bot are functionally the same thing? That is if you just only have random amiibo and not the new Odyssey amiibo with costume unlocks.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    tried the joycon only mode and it was incredibly painful. i keep forgetting my wrist is 40% metal.

back to that holder dealy thing

also oh my god woodland realm music

• Options
    Where do you unlock costumes with the new amiibo?

Because I used all three of the wedding ones last night and was never informed of any costume unlocks

• Options
    Where do you unlock costumes with the new amiibo?

Because I used all three of the wedding ones last night and was never informed of any costume unlocks

I used all my amiibo last night too and didn't get ANY costumes. it really fucking sucked.

• Options
    Played a bit with separate Joy-Con. It was fine, but overall I still prefer the Pro Controller I think.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    For the costumes, there’s a little roomba looking robot that shows up alongside the hint toad near the ship after you do the “story” moons in each kingdom.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm assuming only the new wedding amiibo give costumes. I tried a Link amiibo both on its own and with the amiibo robot NPC, and if any amiibo would unlock a costume, that would be the obvious one right there.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I'm assuming only the new wedding amiibo give costumes. I tried a Link amiibo both on its own and with the amiibo robot NPC, and if any amiibo would unlock a costume, that would be the obvious one right there.

Yea, I feel like I tried that amiibo and got...a handful of coins. LOST OPPORTUNITY.

Still an amazing game. Loved the triple moon get in New Donk City. Like, I was super happy playing to get that moon. Like a little kid.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    For the costumes, there’s a little roomba looking robot that shows up alongside the hint toad near the ship after you do the “story” moons in each kingdom.

Nah, that just tells you how to do it. You can scan the amiibos at any time.

Nope, there's several others:
    Classic Suit and Cap – Mario, 8-Bit Mario, Smash Mario
    Gold Mario Suit and Cap – Gold or Silver Mario
    Luigi Suit and Cap – Luigi, Smash Luigi
    Wario Suit and Cap – Wario, Smash Wario
    Dr. Mario Suit and Headwear – Dr. Mario
    Waluigi Suit and Cap – Waluigi
    Diddy Kong Suit and Cap – Diddy Kong, Smash Diddy Kong
    Mario’s Tuxedo and Top Hat – Wedding Mario
    Bowser’s Tuxedo and Top Hat – Wedding Bowser
    Bridal Gown and Veil – Wedding Peach

Also, all amiibo costumes can unlocked in game as well. You don;t have to have the amiibo for them it's just MUCH easier

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    yeah, you can scan them anytime and get a few coins. or you can scan them at the robot and get the costume

milski wrote: »
    Oh my god there's a (minor mechanic spoiler)
    VVVVV (MMMMM?) Flatmario segment
    that mechanic was in galaxy/2 as well.
    probably 3d world too, but I don't recall for sure

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    You actually do need to talk to Uncle amiibo to get the costumes

I just got all three for Bowser, Peach and Bowser's wedding outfits

Talk to him and he'll ask if you want to tap

You can use amiibo at any time but that won't get you the costumes

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I think Mario should stop trying to ruin Peach and Bowser's big day. They're finally trying to settle down and make it official to raise their son, and Mario just can't let it go. Maybe Settle down in New Donk City. Take Mayor Pauline out on a few dates, and see if you can rekindle that old spark. Move on, dude.

The parrot and Toad seem to have a hint limit, but do amiibo? Uncle Roomba also tried to tell me Bayonetta wasn't an amiibo... had to try twice before it worked.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Also, I had to stop playing this so I could charge my joy cons. I mean, I'm playing FE Warriors now which is fine... but it's supposed to be Mario Time.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    This is pretty essential and I don't think the game directly teaches it to you:

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Maz- wrote: »

Fuck I've been trying to get up that ledge for like a day now.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    If it's the ridge I'm assuming it is, I found a pipe by accident.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Um that’s some black magic fuckery as far as I’m concerned.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options

Fuck I've been trying to get up that ledge for like a day now.

The wayyy easier method is to break the weak stone pillar there. If there was only something you could use to break it ;)

I understand everything in that video until after he throws the hat. It looks like he ground pounds and it somehow shoots him forward.

• Options

that doesn't really teach me anything either

it just shows me something i have absolutely no idea of how to do :rotate:

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It took me a bit, because I had no idea how to do the mid air leap into the Cappy jump.

Triple jump - throw/hold Cappy (hold Y) - dive (ZL+Y) into the cap.

It's the last bit that has the tricky timing. Having to hold Y long enough so Cappy stays in the air, but then quickly hitting ZL+Y to dive into him. Screw up and Cappy just comes back and you faceplant.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."