Options

I'll be your 1-Up Girl! [Super Mario Odyssey]

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Melee. Brawl.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Twas Brawl, the redheaded stepchild of the series.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I own the Smash Bros games, but I did not get real deep into them.

Really, I should get the DLC for the WiiU version.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Toad pointed me toward a moon that I have no clue what to do about. Lakeside Kingdom called Among the Art or something, but there’s nothing in that area.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, Brawl had a slight brown haze over everything, so a pointlessly post-apocalyptic Mushroom Kingdom fit right in.
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I own the Smash Bros games, but I did not get real deep into them.

Really, I should get the DLC for the WiiU version.

At this point I'd hold off for the inevitable Smash Switch.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So I just started playing and...yeah people weren't kidding about the motion controls. Is there really no way to do a lot of these moves without waggle? It seems like half of Mario's base moveset in the action list only has a motion control listed and no button input :-/

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    So I just started playing and...yeah people weren't kidding about the motion controls. Is there really no way to do a lot of these moves without waggle? It seems like half of Mario's base moveset in the action list only has a motion control listed and no button input :-/

There's basically nothing but cap tosses that need waggle afaik. All movement is gloriously still available on buttons

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    The motion stuff essentially being useless without dual cons is a bit of a disappointment, but it's nothing particularly necessary. You can do most things without.

Up to Wooded Kingdom and those stretchy bulbs are a real hoot to use.

• Options
    I found the GB Quicklook to be a little too spoilery.

• Options
    dalith14dalith14 Registered User regular
    So my son (3) has been talking about Mario nonstop for past month, even bought him the hat at Gamestop last weekend. He sat next to me last night and watched gameplay for an hour and he was just completely enamored. Well I get up for work this morning and he hears me, gets out of bed comes downstairs with his Mario hat on and "Says I'm ready, let go Gamestop to get Mario" Had to tell him after work.

Needless to say we will be getting our copy in about 4 hours and I expect it to be played all weekend. Wife even moved a mattress downstairs so we could all sleep down their and play games this weekend.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I'm sharing the Mario experience with my wife and she's great and puzzle solving. Really helps to have someone smarter than you at the helm! XD

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    So I didn't preorder this cause Amazon kept sending my preorders a couple days late. Can I just pick it up at Walmart or am I going to need to go to Target, Best Buy or Gamestop?

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    I'll answer my own question. The Walmart store near my house has same day in store pickup on Super Mario Odyssey so I just put an order for it. Should be able to just stop by on the way home from work to pick it up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    dalith14 wrote: »
    So my son (3) has been talking about Mario nonstop for past month, even bought him the hat at Gamestop last weekend. He sat next to me last night and watched gameplay for an hour and he was just completely enamored. Well I get up for work this morning and he hears me, gets out of bed comes downstairs with his Mario hat on and "Says I'm ready, let go Gamestop to get Mario" Had to tell him after work.

Needless to say we will be getting our copy in about 4 hours and I expect it to be played all weekend. Wife even moved a mattress downstairs so we could all sleep down their and play games this weekend.

So are you going to play as Mario and hand him Cappy or vice-versa?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    I have found the best approach to get games immediately and at a discount is to join the Gamer's Club at Best Buy and set your pre-order for in store pickup.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    It's snowing/icing in Dallas right now, perfect opportunity to curl up under the blankets and get my Mario on.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I kinda doubt motion control is mandatory at any point in the game. Nintendo can make some weird game design choices, but I don't think "force the player to unhook the joycons from the switch to collect one moon" is something they'd do.

Like, to curve the cap when you throw it, you can flick your wrist for motion control or you can spin the analog stick 360 degrees and then throw the cap. You don't have to use motion controls if you don't want to.
    dporowski wrote: »
    There are... A lot of moons. A whole lot of moons. A whole shitload of moons. I got to the second world, and thought I did pretty well finding 8 or 9. There are like... 15 more, and I swear to god this place is just not that big. The first world has like... 17!

I believe there's like 800+ moons total in the game...!

Wish I was home collecting them instead of here at this stupid job! >:[

Yes, you do have to use motion controls for some moons. This is confirmed.

You don't have to use Joycons though, I think a lot of people forget that the Pro controller also has motion controls

Also, the Joycons don't stop having motion controls just because they're attached to the system. If you're a frog and need to jump high, just shake the whole thing.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    oops

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    dalith14dalith14 Registered User regular

I'm Cappy he has made this abundantly clear lol. Although I am sure he will change his mind as he loves his hat, right now the dogs run from him when they see the hat as he currently tries to possess the dogs with Cappy.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    oops

Jubal'd

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    oops

Jubal'd

Mario though right?!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

I'm Cappy he has made this abundantly clear lol. Although I am sure he will change his mind as he loves his hat, right now the dogs run from him when they see the hat as he currently tries to possess the dogs with Cappy.

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    I was annoyed with my wife and threw my hat at her face and now SHE'S annoyed too, it's just like the game

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I kinda doubt motion control is mandatory at any point in the game. Nintendo can make some weird game design choices, but I don't think "force the player to unhook the joycons from the switch to collect one moon" is something they'd do.

Like, to curve the cap when you throw it, you can flick your wrist for motion control or you can spin the analog stick 360 degrees and then throw the cap. You don't have to use motion controls if you don't want to.
    dporowski wrote: »
    There are... A lot of moons. A whole lot of moons. A whole shitload of moons. I got to the second world, and thought I did pretty well finding 8 or 9. There are like... 15 more, and I swear to god this place is just not that big. The first world has like... 17!

I believe there's like 800+ moons total in the game...!

Wish I was home collecting them instead of here at this stupid job! >:[

Yes, you do have to use motion controls for some moons. This is confirmed.

You don't have to use Joycons though, I think a lot of people forget that the Pro controller also has motion controls

Also, the Joycons don't stop having motion controls just because they're attached to the system. If you're a frog and need to jump high, just shake the whole thing.

yes that is the problem

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    While I wouldn't shake the whole system to roll (not that you even have to anyways), a small shake here and there to do a high jump doesn't seem that dangerous.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Those [CENSORED] high scores are insane.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    The snapshot mode is so great, so many options. I took this one using the water color filter:

VJjZyCe.jpg

There's also SNES, NES, and gameboy filters.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    There’s motion sensitivity settings you can tweak in Options, cranking them higher might make it easier in handheld mode. So you don’t have to move the screen as much. Had to bump up the camera stick sensitivity as well. Right stick on low setting is default and I’m glad you can change it.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i figured out what wooded kingdom reminds me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRYBQmAeUtw

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Things I've learned today:

1) I don't like the top loading of cartridges on the Switch. If you keep the console anywhere with a shelf above it it's just a slight bit of extra annoyance that I've not had with a console... ever.
    2) Putting the controllers on and taking them off of the console for charging is annoying. See above. But amplified because it's a bit more cumbersome.
    3) This game is pretty damn fun.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Think I cleared out all of the moons in the Desert Kingdom. Missing six purple coins from there which is obnoxious.

Final total:
    65! Plus one I got from warping in from the Lake Kingdom

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I need 6 moons and 4 purple coins to finish off Cascade Kingdom...!

Anyone know what to do with that large metal cube?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Come back way later

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Motion controls suck but when are they ever good in a game?
    I swear by motion controls in Splatoon and wish all non-keyboard-and-mouse first/third person shooters used them instead of twin sticks only. Then maybe I'd play them too.

On Mario, today was the first time I and my brother heard the voice gibberish used for the "human" characters, and we were probably way more amused then we should have been.

homogenized on
  • Options
    Can any help with any tips on Cascade Timer 2? I can't seem to ever get the triple jump up on that last block and that's the last Moon I need I think.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    Can any help with any tips on Cascade Timer 2? I can't seem to ever get the triple jump up on that last block and that's the last Moon I need I think.

@Incindium
    I had good luck cheesing both of the bigger jumps. I used the crouched backflip jump to get me up and over the lip to grab on.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    I finally got it just practicing the timing of the triple jump 50 times. Is the 17 moons all you can get on the first run through an area?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    I finally got it just practicing the timing of the triple jump 50 times. Is the 17 moons all you can get on the first run through an area?

The worlds vary. There are an enormous number of desert moons, for example.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I've been working on the Desert moons and let me tell you there are some devilish ones

Can't wait to find out what the cubes do, but I have my suspicions

Found a secret route to metro kingdom but couldn't do anything except grab a moon and leave.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    BillCipherBillCipher Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Zxerol wrote: »
    It would be cool to jump a 100 years in the future and see if Mario is still around.
    A decaying, overgrown Mushroom Kingdom?

XtT0edj_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Which Mario game is that from?

Smash Bros.

Which Smash Bros?
    Brawl/3DS.
    https://www.ssbwiki.com/Mushroomy_Kingdom

BillCipher on