Options

I'll be your 1-Up Girl! [Super Mario Odyssey]

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I think it's a combo of triple jump, hat throw, dive onto hat, bounce off hat

I've been using dive a little bit because Mario is kind of slow. I miss being able to hold down B or whatever from the sidescroller days to get the guy to run.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Triple jump, hat throw, dive (zr + y) onto the hat iirc

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    It took me a bit, because I had no idea how to do the mid air leap into the Cappy jump.

Triple jump - throw/hold Cappy (hold Y) - dive (ZL+Y) into the cap.

It's the last bit that has the tricky timing. Having to hold Y long enough so Cappy stays in the air, but then quickly hitting ZL+Y to dive into him. Screw up and Cappy just comes back and you faceplant.

Use X to dive up so you can still hold Y. 60% of the time it works every time.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    When you jump if you hit the ground pound and Y buttons at the same time mario will dive forward. If you throw your hat first he'll bounce of the hat at the end of the jump. There's been a few moons that I'm not sure how I would have gotten without it.

Also for the completionists out there don't worry about getting all the moons before moving on. Some moons you can't get until you come back later. Best thing I found was to finish the main moons in a kingdom while grabbing all the stuff that you see along the way and then moving to the next area. Nothing is permanently missable.

Also holy shit the post game stuff.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    It took me a bit, because I had no idea how to do the mid air leap into the Cappy jump.

It's the last bit that has the tricky timing. Having to hold Y long enough so Cappy stays in the air, but then quickly hitting ZL+Y to dive into him. Screw up and Cappy just comes back and you faceplant.

Nah, the timing is really loose for that.

By the way, more notes:

You (obviously) don't need to triple jump but outside of specific places its almost always easier to do a ground pound spring jump (ground pound, jump after landing) for height because it needs less room.

For distance, do crouching slide jumps to start, then do a cappy toss, dive, cappyjump, cappytoss (for a tiny bit of height), dive.

This technology lets you do a lot of really ridiculous jumps and pass some challenges ezpz.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I think it's a combo of triple jump, hat throw, dive onto hat, bounce off hat

I've been using dive a little bit because Mario is kind of slow. I miss being able to hold down B or whatever from the sidescroller days to get the guy to run.

Rolling is super fast.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    BNzGBlC.jpg

Why is he taking so much joy from this?

CGid7dp.jpg

Oh. Oooooooooohhhhh. eww Mario what the hell is wrong with you?

This game is sick in the head, first he's possessing sentient beings and then he's poofarting on unsuspecting innocents heads as he jumps on them repeatedly. Perfect game for Haloween and kids of all ages.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Kind of don't like how they simplified Mario's swim mechanics, but yay I get to be a cheep cheep.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    DNPOQt0VQAARWeT.jpg:large

Even the birds have hats

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    The 8-bit anniversary amiibo unlocks the classic Mario outfit, in case anybody didn't already expect that

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I was able to run during lunch today and picked up my game! Still won't get to play for a couple of days though. On the upside they still had posters and coins so I got both!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    A Traditional Festival

Holy fuck

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Yeah the triple moon in New Donk City is something else.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    This is pretty essential and I don't think the game directly teaches teaches it to you:

You can actually do this move twice in the air to cover a lot of distance but it won't let you toss the cap a third time before landing. Otherwise you could infinite jump I suppose.

It's a tricky button combo though.

Triple jump
    Cap toss & hold
    Air dive to cap
    Cap toss & hold
    Air dive to cap

That's probably the max jump you can do in the game. It actually shows you these moves in the pause menu hint guide thing. It's up to you to combine them though.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    You can hit the cap a second time? I just pass through it on the second air dive.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Can you do anything with the checkpoint flags other than respawn at them and know the names of areas?

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    You can warp to any flag you have previously reached on the map screen

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    All the Cap people sound like minions and now I can't unhear it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Oh my god, the map is an actual tour guide to each area that you can read. I love it.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Anyone have a tip on how to reliably throw Cappy up?

I can't do it. I struggle enough with the spin throw, but I can get it to go down fairly reliably.

I haven't had a specific need for it at this point, and I'm not sure there really ever will be one.

It is just frustrating.

For reference, I was playing with the joycons in their controller grip, so that might be the problem? Though, from instructions of the movements in-game, being in the grip should result in no functional difference compared to trying to move both hands in tandem independently. I.E. if I jerk the controller upward, that should functionally be identical to moving both upward together, if they were split. Right?

But alas, Mario refuses to throw upward. Spin throw is about 1 in 4 trys, and typically unreliable enough that when it would be useful, I'm putting myself in more danger trying to trigger it than I would be just getting out of dodge.

I desperately hope Odyssey gets a patch that provides different control options. Why have so many movements tied to motion controls, when so many of the buttons are just duplicate functionality as the others? Use them. I never got on the anti-waggle train, though there were games that it felt more unnecessary or out of place than others (and some it worked fine in!); but I have to agree with a lot of people as it relates to Odyssey and it makes no sense whatsoever to have actions in the game be motion control only, on a system that is intended to be portable and played without the controllers detached. Yes, you can still do them attached, but as I'm finding, it is a huge headache and adds nothing but frustration and awkwardness with no actual benefit at all.

It is, so far, one of two major complaints I have about the game. The other is just that moving Mario in general doesn't feel right. It is really hard to describe but it is just not as smooth as my brain expected. He feels like he is on ice no matter what surface, a complaint I know I've heard in the past about other 3D mario games (3D world and the Galaxies) but here I feel it, hard; and then conversely, Mario doesn't move via smaller movements with the stick as I've come to expect from past Mario games. There seems to be no play between inching at a snails pace and a full on dash, so getting to (for example) a cliff to hang off feels super risky when I can't say I ever felt like it did before. Mario just doesn't react to my analog movements as I've come to expect and it just doesn't feel right. Plus something is very different about how Mario moves on a moving surface compared to 3D World and Galaxies. The handful of areas with a lot of those in-and-out walls and objects you need to quickly move across and react to feel frustrating in a way I haven't ever had in a 3D Mario game. Full bore on the analog pad in a direction, he lands on a platform coming in or going out and he just spins his wheels for far too long making a jump super stunted and I always end up barely even grabbing a ledge to the next platform, which takes too much time, leading to me falling off way too often. I've never had this before. The Galaxy games were full of these sort of sections and I have no recollection of such a struggle with movement in them.

I dunno.

But everything else is great! I mean, movement in a Mario game not feeling right is a huge deal, but I'm still really enjoying the game. I'm hoping I adjust to it, though I haven't really thus far, 5 worlds in and almost a couple hundred moons later. :rotate:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Can't help with the UP throw, but the spin throw can alternatively be done by spinning the control stick until Mario is preparing for a spin jump, then hitting the throw button.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    There's something in the Action Guide about throwing Cappy up.

• Options
    It says to shake the stick up, but I can't get that to work reliably. He throws cappy DOWN more often than not.

Granted, I'm playing with the controller shell.

• Options
    With the pro controller, flicking the controller up towards my chest does it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

so like you were reigning in a horse?

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

so like you were reigning in a horse?

Yeah. I was trying to think of a way to describe it because I'm terrible at doing so. But without moving your arms or elbows, flick your wrists up.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I will try the reigns thing when I play here shortly, I'll report back later.

Maybe. Last night I loaded the game up at about 9pm and thought I played a couple hours and it was 3:30am so...:rotate:

And I tried practicing the spin thing for a bit early on but just couldn't get it to go reliably (with either method, spinning first or trying to do a side flick with the controller).

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Ok Mario... let's just pack it in. Settling down in New Donk City sounds like a good idea now. Just finished the food kingdom and now Bowser has
    Fucking ALDUIN THE WORLD EATER on his side... this is the third time you've seen shot down as well Mario. By videogame law, we have to give up.

But nooooo, we've crash landed. Again. And now we're stuck in Bloodborne. I hope you're happy.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Holy shit, the first level is a stealth remake of Bob-Omb Battlefield

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    First night, I was playing handheld. Yesterday I tried console mode and nunchucks, and the motion controls atarted to click.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I can already say that I don’t like the motion controls. Not one bit. If there’s something that requires them to accomplish I’ve resigned myself to giving up and moving on. After all, there’s plenty of other moons to go after and I probably won’t get all 800+ of them either way.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    I haven't been keeping mental note or anything, but the only moons I've found so far that requires motion controls involved the frog and needing the higher jump you do from flicking.

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Ok Mario... let's just pack it in. Settling down in New Donk City sounds like a good idea now. Just finished the food kingdom and now Bowser has
    Fucking ALDUIN THE WORLD EATER on his side... this is the third time you've seen shot down as well Mario. By videogame law, we have to give up.

But nooooo, we've crash landed. Again. And now we're stuck in Bloodborne. I hope you're happy.

Well, between the save points you warp to, the death system where all you lose is your currency, and being able to steal the souls of your enemies, this was basically already a Fromsoft game.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I thought I would hate the motion controls in this but so far they've been mostly unintrusive and perfectly fine

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Well, between the save points you warp to, the death system where all you lose is your currency, and being able to steal the souls of your enemies, this was basically already a Fromsoft game.

Plus, as long as you don’t fall into a pit, the coins you lose when you die stay on the field for you to collect again.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Yeah the triple moon in New Donk City is something else.

Would you say it is ri"donk"ulous? :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options

Use X to dive up so you can still hold Y. 60% of the time it works every time.

Thank you so very much for this. I was just getting started on the game, and knowing this made things go so smoothly.

So, I bought a tuxedo and a black top hat from the Cap Kingdom.

I'm not saying it's impossible for me to find something I like better, but I'm saying it's going to be very difficult.

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    It says to shake the stick up, but I can't get that to work reliably. He throws cappy DOWN more often than not.

Granted, I'm playing with the controller shell.

With controller Pro what I do is literally just raise the controller. If you try flicking the controller up you might be unconsciously dropping it before flicking up which is what the sensor picks up first.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    The beach can be so relaxing

DNQbq-pUIAAWsCU.jpg:large

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    "Beat" the game. Very good stuff! I don't think I like it better than Yoshi's Island, SMB3, SMW, or 3D World but it's still a pretty great Mario game. Now the real fun begins of trying to 100% every kingdom.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.