As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking thread] what is the internet but an enormous recipe book?

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
  • Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    I ordered a 12" carbon steel wok (hand-hammered... or almost certainly machine-hammered... you can see the hammer marks inside it), with a handle. My previous wok was a 14" cast iron wok from China (so much lighter than a domestic cast iron wok), but just had loops instead of a handle. I wanted something lighter and easier to flip food in. But now I have two woks.

Washed off the protective oil coating, and went to work seasoning it. It seasoned up really well, stir-fried half of an absurdly large yellow onion in it, then discarded the onion.

Then I made asparagus chicken for dinner. Unfortunately, the price of the asparagus ($1.48/lb) had blinded me to the fact that asparagus this time of the year is basically inedible. Oh well. The wok itself was fantastic, especially since it was like $15 on amazon. Typical 3 tablespoons of salty stuff + 1 tablespoon of sugar for the sauce was right on, as usual (went with 1 tablespoon fish sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce).

Really like the wok. I need a smaller wok ring, and that seems to be a bit of a problem, but not an insurmountable one.

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    kilnborn wrote: »
    I ordered a 12" carbon steel wok (hand-hammered... or almost certainly machine-hammered... you can see the hammer marks inside it), with a handle. My previous wok was a 14" cast iron wok from China (so much lighter than a domestic cast iron wok), but just had loops instead of a handle. I wanted something lighter and easier to flip food in. But now I have two woks.

Washed off the protective oil coating, and went to work seasoning it. It seasoned up really well, stir-fried half of an absurdly large yellow onion in it, then discarded the onion.

Then I made asparagus chicken for dinner. Unfortunately, the price of the asparagus ($1.48/lb) had blinded me to the fact that asparagus this time of the year is basically inedible. Oh well. The wok itself was fantastic, especially since it was like $15 on amazon. Typical 3 tablespoons of salty stuff + 1 tablespoon of sugar for the sauce was right on, as usual (went with 1 tablespoon fish sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce).

Really like the wok. I need a smaller wok ring, and that seems to be a bit of a problem, but not an insurmountable one.

poor onion

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    doomybear wrote: »
    poor onion

It felt no pain. Also, the other half had been used a coupla days before, and it was getting a bit... dry.

Stir-frying an onion in a freshly seasoned wok is some bit of advice I picked up many years ago. There was a reasonably coherent reason for doing so when I first encountered it, but I've forgotten that reason, I just knew I'd done it in my other woks and did it in this one.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Onion and green onions are pretty much the traditional thing used to season new woks, so yea makes sense.

Reason is mostly that they tend to char up rather nicely, can take a long time to cook, help impart a little flavor, tend not to stick too bad, are usually cheap, etc.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I grilled a couple more steaks tonight, but I forgot to take photos to make another post attempting to join the grilling gentry. They were extremely fucking good, though!

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I ordered a 12" carbon steel wok (hand-hammered... or almost certainly machine-hammered... you can see the hammer marks inside it), with a handle.
    [snip]
    The wok itself was fantastic, especially since it was like $15 on amazon.

Link? Been thinking about getting a wok so I don't have to stir fry stuff in a cast iron skillet or stainless fry pans.

• Options
    m!ttens wrote: »
    I ordered a 12" carbon steel wok (hand-hammered... or almost certainly machine-hammered... you can see the hammer marks inside it), with a handle.
    [snip]
    The wok itself was fantastic, especially since it was like $15 on amazon.

Link? Been thinking about getting a wok so I don't have to stir fry stuff in a cast iron skillet or stainless fry pans.

This is the wok I bought.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @Uriel I need to know how that tablet came out

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Uriel I need to know how that tablet came out

I posted in the bad food thread on account of the sugar content!

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Why did I make 3kg of mac 'n' cheese

IMG-1434.jpg
    IMG-1435.jpg

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Presumably because you didn't have a large enough dish to make 4 kg.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    The second picture is my lunch for tomorrow and every remaining day of November.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    The second picture is my lunch for tomorrow and every remaining day of November.

Your investigation on "Can there be too much macaroni cheese?" will generate some fascinating data

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    We decided to try out making our own eggnog this year. Made a double batch of Alton Brown's aged eggnog which is now happily sitting in the fridge until Christmas time.

It's like 20% ABV. Gonna be a good holiday season.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I wish I drank, because I'd love to make egg nog

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    The idea of "aged" eggnog frightens me a bit. :eek:

I do love eggnog, though.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The idea of "aged" eggnog frightens me a bit. :eek:

I do love eggnog, though.

It's pretty common for the inherently alcoholic ones to include a step where you leave them in the fridge for a month or two. Irish creams, as well.
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I wish I drank, because I'd love to make egg nog

You can totally make non-alcoholic ones! I think they do have to be cooked but the recipes are out there.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Isn't non-alcoholic egg nog just egg and sugar whisked with a hand mixer?

We have that in Norway and call it "eggedosis" . The english name for it is "kogel mogel" according to wikipedia

No cooking required

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Man, I might try that this year. We haven't had real nog at Christmas since my grandma died. So now all we get is grandpa's jar of pickled wieners and baloney cubes.

I honestly wish I was joking about that last bit. He puts them in the jar on New Years Day and keeps them in the back of the fridge until Christmas.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »

We have that in Norway and call it "eggedosis" . The english name for it is "kogel mogel" according to wikipedia

No cooking required

Egg, sugar, nutmeg, some combo of milk and cream.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Turambar wrote: »

No cooking required

Egg, sugar, nutmeg, some combo of milk and cream.

And a cooked recipe will taste way better.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    @NightDragon you should make our vegan eggnog again :p

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

It wasn't vegan! We really did use egg whites, but I think everything else was non-standard hahaha. It was bizarrely delicious and rich though :P

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Man, I might try that this year. We haven't had real nog at Christmas since my grandma died. So now all we get is grandpa's jar of pickled wieners and baloney cubes.

I honestly wish I was joking about that last bit. He puts them in the jar on New Years Day and keeps them in the back of the fridge until Christmas.

In the spirit of anything once, is it...good? I've had pickled eggs and picked pigs feet so...probably?

• Options
    Well, I can't really answer that objectively, because I'm not a fan of pickled stuff in general.

But we're a weird giant German Catholic clan, so we've generally got a sample size of between fifty and seventy people at Christmas. And about four of them regularly partake of the Christmas picklemeats, and they're the four most likely to do something out of spite and pride rather than honest enjoyment.

So no. No, statistically speaking, it's not very good at all.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Just started pancetta.

Third time's the charm!

The very first time I made it I thought pink salt meant Himalayan salt. Nope!

The second batch I made I inadvertently purchased salt pork instead of pork belly. Whoops!

This time I've got all my pigs in a row!

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Well, I can't really answer that objectively, because I'm not a fan of pickled stuff in general.

But we're a weird giant German Catholic clan, so we've generally got a sample size of between fifty and seventy people at Christmas. And about four of them regularly partake of the Christmas picklemeats, and they're the four most likely to do something out of spite and pride rather than honest enjoyment.

BUT IT'S A TRADITION! *kicks a goose and bursts into song*

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

I'd eat pickled grandpa weiners.

Wait...

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    tynic wrote: »

It wasn't vegan! We really did use egg whites, but I think everything else was non-standard hahaha. It was bizarrely delicious and rich though :P

did we? I thought we were out of eggs ... soy milk and coconut cream though, right?

• Options
    Last time I made eggnog it was fucking delicious but also inexplicably way stronger than it should have been for its alcohol content. There was maybe a thimbleful of brandy per glass but it still knocked me on my arse for the best part of an hour.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm coming down with evil spring head cold.

Matzah ball soup it is then.

Just from a box, but still good.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular

Nice Job! Most people overcook lengua until it's like shredded beef, but you did it right. It's even better as soft little cubes of deliciousness. Next time before dunking them in sauce, I suggest frying them in a hot pan to get the exteriors really crispy, too.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    I just purchased a LEM vertical sausage stuffer

.... a very expensive sausage stuffer

I am NOT allowed to buy any more food stuff this year! You all need to stop me!

edit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWZ6AEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Xaquin on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    But xaquin, how can we stop you whwn you are your own food stuff?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hey now, at least you didn't buy the motorised 30 pound unit!

• Options
    I've always assumed I would be relatively well marbled ....

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    my parents sold their second home and sent me the stand mixer they kept there, along with a meat grinder attachment for it

and you'd better believe I'm gonna make some breakfast sausage next time pork shoulder goes on sale

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I just purchased a LEM vertical sausage stuffer

.... a very expensive sausage stuffer

I am NOT allowed to buy any more food stuff this year! You all need to stop me!

edit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWZ6AEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fun fact, you can buy an attachment for that which allows you to make churros as well.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.