Options

[Opus Magnum] Alchemical child of SpaceChem and Shenzhen I/O from Zachtronics.

2»

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Leaderboards got reset today.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Leaderboards got reset today.

They probably didn't update when some of the costs got adjusted, so it makes sense to reset them.

• Options
    ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    Don't forget to re-verify your solutions. There's an option in the options menu. My friends list for the game is looking pretty empty.

Also, here's my fast and symmetrical Purified Gold.
    ST66aVi.gif

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    It is mindboggling looking at everyone's solutions. I thought I was being smart, but I'm a damn knuckle dragger looking at some of these solutions.
    A7776yk.gif

Here's my purified gold solution. I brute forced a pyramid.
    Sure, the engine costs 1500g, but if your printing gold, money's not an object I suppose...
    And then i see ContentContext get a solution that is smaller, twice as fast, and a third the cost

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    It has a certain elegance to it!

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    I'm going to make a purified gold that is so slow
    but so cheap
    and so tiny

just you watch

as promised!

70 gold
    11 area
    468 instructions
    two thousand, eight hundred and six cycles

I give you

The Turing Machine

What would you say your ratio of "typing in the commands because I know the exact order of them" to "letting it run for the full cycle to see where I fucked up" was?
    You could save 1 area by using the output tile as a storage space.

broken image link
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    There's a 9 area one kicking around Reddit that does the whole thing with a wheel, storing atoms on the inputs and the outputs and just always keeping the inputs covered so nothing new spawns.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    New chapter is out!

It's all about building your machines in a limited space.

broken image link
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Dammit, I haven't even picked up Shenzhen I/O yet! But this looks amazing. I may have to grab this since it's on minor discount in the Autumn Sale.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I like my invisible ink solution.

Symmetry!
    RIbdL1x.gif

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    I like the 404 file not found symmetry

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    :redface: fixed

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Hey, there's a thread for this game. Grand. I just got to the fourth chapter today (a few weeks behind everyone due to being on vacation and such). I haven't done that much optimization work yet, but it seems like I tend more towards the cost and area side of things. I've seen a few GIFs of min-cycle solutions, and I think the 'loopiness' of getting multiple arms to work in tandem is a bit too much for me right now. As it stands, I'm liking how open the game is; due to this, it feels easier than more recent Zachtronics titles. On the other hand, I've started to run into trouble at the end of Chapter Three, and I can see the potential for some fiendish designs from the Journal.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    for those of you wondering about area constraints, there are some doozies in that recent patch that came out.

some of the difficulty of putting these contraptions together would offset nicely by simply having a copy/paste function and the ability to have a ghost image of the repeating instructions instead of a line that goes off for 10 or 15 steps and you don't see it until to put the steps in place.

a lot of busy work could be cut from the equation as well if we could put down instructions as the machine was working. just stop it or move it to a specific part of the cycle and place instructions down. instead of stepping the machine to get to where you need it to be to see what you need to do ok, stop it, ok where did i need to put it again? oh wait... step it forward again...

I still like this game, but there could be some huge quality of life improvements to speed the placements of solutions along if you know what you gotta do.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    You can duplicate objects and instructions with ctrl-click and drag.

broken image link
  • Options
    !!!

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Curious Lipstick

The ring maker I'm pretty pleased with, the other part is... well it's not exactly elegant but the way the arms are splitting time on that salt is pretty cool.
    bUbiJZP.gif

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

WHAT

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

WHAT
    I knew about the `Ctrl+Click+Drag` functionality for copy-paste, but I also learned in my play session this evening that the `4` key hides the parts tray and, when running your solution, `Ctrl+Click` fast-forwards the execution to the selected instruction. Very useful for solutions like the ones I tend to make, with few arms and lots of long instructions.

Also, hey, more people need to either re-run their solutions or add me as a Friend on Steam. There's a heck of a lot fewer scores to compare mine against than there were a few weeks ago when the game first released.

EDIT: Of course, the day after I post, there's a patch to the game that changes the fast-forward command to `Alt+Click` instead. So it goes.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    From the workshop:
    Jks9H2H.jpg

broken image link
  • Options
    That got a chuckle out of me.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I just beat the main story of this game. This was fun! And it made me feel a lot less like a caveman than Spacechem, the other Zachtronics game I have.

My solutions are largely nowhere near as elegant as the ones people are posting, though. That said, most of my solutions tend to be cheaper, smaller, and way slower than my friends', so I guess what this game is telling me is that I'm a miser :P.

I think the only solution I'm aesthetically pleased with, out of everything I've made, is Invisible Ink:
    QmZFGlL.gif

Symmetry is pretty!

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.