Options

[Opus Magnum] Alchemical child of SpaceChem and Shenzhen I/O from Zachtronics.

ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
edited November 2017 in Games and Technology
3bpolk6g5hnm.jpg

Zachtronics has been at it again! If you enjoy their previous puzzle games like SpaceChem, TIS-100, and Shenzhen I/O, then you'll enjoy the Alchemy themed Opus Magnum.

Opus Magnum takes place on a hex grid, where you place mechanical arms, rails, and alchemical processes to generate various outputs. Each arm is individually programmed, but all arms are expected to work together to assemble the final output(s).

It can export animated GIFs of your puzzles to share with everyone!

u117aj6xns31.gif

(warning: exported GIFs can exceed the inline image size limit of the forum, so either resize it or link to it).
Feral wrote: »
Elvenshae wrote: »
How do you guys get your exported gifs to not be 3+ MB?

I run them through https://ezgif.com

I start by reducing the size by 75% and then I use the optimizer to compress it by 30.

In addition to the core puzzle gameplay, there is a somewhat humourous story that also threads the various puzzles together.

It is currently in Early Access on Steam.

Come discuss! Share your solutions! =)

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
ecco the dolphin on

• Options
    ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    Been enjoying it, so far. Only past the first ch.3 puzzle, because I've been going back and optimising. Mostly cycles. Still need to do cost and area for a lot of them.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I can confirm that this is in fact my cat's favorite game

tcd64rq2rnfy.jpg

She gives me all the pro alchemy strats.

• Options
    I think it's the sounds that get me the most, like the satisfying chimes you get from quickly going through a triple bonder. They also to fix solutions. It's sometimes easier to hear a loop out of sync than it is to see it.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    This one's a lot easier to make working (non-optimised) solutions than the other Zachtronics games.

broken image link
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    This game is ridiculously fun, and more of you should friend me on Steam so that my alchemies, I can show you them. (Or, you know, compare scores.)

• Options
    Been enjoying it, so far. Only past the first ch.3 puzzle, because I've been going back and optimising. Mostly cycles. Still need to do cost and area for a lot of them.

Same. I like making fast solutions at the expense is cost and area.
    This game is ridiculously fun, and more of you should friend me on Steam so that my alchemies, I can show you them. (Or, you know, compare scores.)

I have just sent you a friend request!

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Oh, so he remade The Codex of Alchemical Engineering?

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I find that I consistently make small, cheap, slow machines on my first try.

I'm always at the far left of the histogram on cost and area but far right on cycles.

This was my first solution to Precision Machine Oil
    8Aobax7.gif

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I'm really enjoying this but my biggest gripe is that the UI needs a scaling option.

I'm playing this on my couch. The text is a little hard to read from a distance.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    I don't know if these are particularly good, but they please me.

Early chapter 2 spoilers:
    ScUiwvz.gif

Prd91im.gif

• Options

• Options

I start by reducing the size by 75% and then I use the optimizer to compress it by 30.

• Options

I have stolen this most helpful tip and put it in the OP!

• Options
    Last night's patch increased the cost of the extendable piston arm and added a few more advanced puzzles.

I was watching solutions on YouTube and it struck me how so many people use the piston arm in trivial ways, so I understand the cost increase.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I love this game and I want more steam friends who play it to compare high scores against

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    So Feral's wheel solution for Hair Product seems to be the absolute best possible for speed. I can't see any way to optimize it beyond that. I did manage to optimize it slightly for cost and area, by making it into a dull, plodding affair with no elegance at all:
    kymgaxvsd0a3.gif

i think you could do it with a single arm, simply rotating and then going back to bring in a bond, but i can't bear to mutilate it any more

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    So Feral's wheel solution for Hair Product seems to be the absolute best possible for speed. I can't see any way to optimize it beyond that. I did manage to optimize it slightly for cost and area, by making it into a dull, plodding affair with no elegance at all:
    kymgaxvsd0a3.gif

i think you could do it with a single arm, simply rotating and then going back to bring in a bond, but i can't bear to mutilate it any more

You can do better than that for speed; during the three-turn to complete the product you could have one of the single arms drop in another Earth so that the six-arm could grab immediately rather than waiting.

I can't figure out how to do that because it requires desynching the whole affair but you can do 53 cycles.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Managed to get a bit more speed on early Chapter 2 triplebond, but still nowhere near optimized.
    z9JBbop.gif

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Oh

I'm spending most of my after work time taking care of a toddler, so I haven't made it to chapter 2 yet, but I suspect that you can go faster by using multiple arms on a single track.

It's a nice trick to avoid having to spend a cycle passing off from one arm to the next, at the expense of cost.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Got that one down to 27 cycles.
    Y7zkPrL.gif
    It's possible to get it down to 22 or so, but I think you need to be making 2 at a time.

Edit: Watching this run, I can see a couple of places to save on area.

ContentContext on
  • Options
    Got that one down to 27 cycles.
    Y7zkPrL.gif
    It's possible to get it down to 22 or so, but I think you need to be making 2 at a time.

Edit: Watching this run, I can see a couple of places to save on area.

Holy carp

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    That little triangle circuit is hypnotic.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    kymgaxvsd0a3.gif

You can do better than that for speed; during the three-turn to complete the product you could have one of the single arms drop in another Earth so that the six-arm could grab immediately rather than waiting.

I can't figure out how to do that because it requires desynching the whole affair but you can do 53 cycles.

Here's 50 with the multi-arm solution that I was trying to describe earlier.

I had to do a custom problem because I'm not up to that yet, but managed to put my toddler to sleep early, so got some time to work on this tonight.
    5aljel3m8wn6.gif

It's not very clean because I threw it together in a rush.

• Options
    I didn’t know you could put multiple arms on the same track ...

• Options
    edited November 2017
    My most recent pass at Surrender Flare.
    Dun46R0.gif
    Fairly compact for its speed, though I've definitely seen faster.

Edit: If I take the arm that grabs the single salt and rotate it once more before releasing, it'll save a cycle and some cost, by eliminating the last arm, at the expense of some area. Seems reasonable.

ContentContext on
  • Options
    I didn’t know you could put multiple arms on the same track ...

Now you do!

It turns it into a conveyor belt of sorts.

In hindsight, I didn't need to do that for the hair product, but I got stuck in the wrong mindset haha.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I've gotten into into the second-to-last chapter and now I'm getting hit with puzzles where I'm like "I have no fucking idea how to even start"

the purified gold in particular
    I know the solution can't be a massive pyramid of glyphs but damnned if I haven't figured out the trick yet
    no hints, yet

e:
    oh! oh! I could do it like an adder
    still would have a shitload of instructions
    hmmm or not, even, just have the arms at the end moving all the time

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ContentContext, you are crazy good at this game.

• Options
    ContentContext, you are crazy good at this game.

I do alright. If you really want to be impressed, check the subreddit for the game. Some of the stuff I've there makes my work look like amateur hour.
    Day 1, I couldn't play the game until pretty late at night. By the time I got around to checking how my scores compared, people were already brushing up against theoretical minimums. The community around these games is something else.

• Options
    Install Zachtronics games on every middle and high school computer in the country.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    purifed gold, as I thought up earlier today:

e: oh right, gifvs don't play in spoilers always? here's a link https://i.imgur.com/KvDatin.mp4

turns out it was slow, but good on both area and cost so I'll take it as a win

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Here's my attempt at Purified Gold:

https://i.imgur.com/sxEO6AF.gifv

Feral on

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Love it, @Feral.

This one isn't winning any awards, I don't think, but I just happen to like the reciprocation. Seal solvent:
    23udfkyqbnbx.gif

Water purifier:
    7hk7t0dj5vma.gif

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Alright, got Surrender Flare down to 27 cycles.
    Edit: 22 cycles.
    vyJpJJ5.gif

ContentContext on
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I'm going to make a purified gold that is so slow
    but so cheap
    and so tiny

just you watch

Aioua on
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Aioua wrote: »
    but so cheap
    and so tiny

just you watch

as promised!

70 gold
    11 area
    468 instructions
    two thousand, eight hundred and six cycles

I give you

The Turing Machine

Aioua on
  • Options
    but so cheap
    and so tiny

just you watch

as promised!

70 gold
    11 area
    468 instructions

I give you

The Turing Machine

What would you say your ratio of "typing in the commands because I know the exact order of them" to "letting it run for the full cycle to see where I fucked up" was?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    but so cheap
    and so tiny

just you watch

as promised!

70 gold
    11 area
    468 instructions

I give you

The Turing Machine

What would you say your ratio of "typing in the commands because I know the exact order of them" to "letting it run for the full cycle to see where I fucked up" was?

the real trick was copying blocks of 100+ commands and sliding them to the end of the tape
    (hint, you need a second track to hold them)

but yeah probably at least a third of my time building that was watching it run waiting to debug

• Options
    but so cheap
    and so tiny

just you watch

as promised!

70 gold
    11 area
    468 instructions

I give you

The Turing Machine

Two hours later, you have 1 unit of gold. :D

• Options
    but so cheap
    and so tiny

just you watch

as promised!

70 gold
    11 area
    468 instructions

I give you

The Turing Machine

Two hours later, you have 1 unit of gold. :D

It's like using Javascript to mine bitcoin

only much more elegant.