As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Floaking [chat]

credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
As an immerser I progressed to the ranks I aspired to--those that granted me a certain cachet and income while keeping me from fundamental responsibilities. This is what I excel at: the life-technique of aggregated skill, luck, laziness and chutzpah that we call floaking.

Immersers, I think, created the term. Everyone has some floaker in them. There's a devil on your shoulder. Not everyone crewing aspires to master the technique--there are those who want to captain or explore--but for most, floaking is indispensible. Some people think it mere indolence but it's a more active and nuanced technique than that. Floakers aren't afraid of effort: many crew work hard to get shipboard in the first place. I did.

China Mieville coins the term floaking in Embassytown; I immediately thought of the community of floakers that is [chat], because what other sort of person manages to shitpost all day while holding down a job?

In any case, please take this word, because it is delightful.

Steam, LoL: credeiki

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    OK I think I found the line where I stop being a "sjw" and it's at zombie cosmetics

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    @Hahnsoo1 On this day the first of the Federalist Papers was published.
    The plan was to write a total of twenty-five essays
    The work divided evenly among the three men
    In the end, they wrote eighty-five essays, in the span of six months
    John Jay got sick after writing five
    James Madison wrote twenty-nine
    Hamilton wrote the other fifty-one

the
    man
    is
    non-stop

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I took floaking to mean the person who's happy to show up and be part of an organization but isn't aspiring to make it the enitre focus of their lives.

There's sailors and then there's Sailors.

Quid on
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Man, how many people do you suppose kill themselves by slitting their own throats?

That's some hardcore shit!

• Options
    Excuse me, credeiki

I am neither holding down a job nor a shitposter

Every Post A Painting

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I went to work for halloween as a camera flash.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »
    I took floaking to mean the person who's happy to show up and be part of an organization but isn't aspiring to make it their lives.

I feel like when used in reference to a career it's partially that but partially a lifelong quest for a sinecure--except it's a position of your own making rather than one that was just handed to you

But it's also the ability to bullshit your way into places that you want to be that you don't quite belong in

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I didn't know Teddy Roosevelt and FDR were descended from the Schuyler family.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    credeiki wrote: »
    I took floaking to mean the person who's happy to show up and be part of an organization but isn't aspiring to make it their lives.

I feel like when used in reference to a career it's partially that but partially a lifelong quest for a sinecure--except it's a position of your own making rather than one that was just handed to you

But it's also the ability to bullshit your way into places that you want to be that you don't quite belong in

Oh I'm totes floaking in that respect

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I'm totally a lower case sailor.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    So close to going home. A quick dinner and then more engrams.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

this is what I really needed today

Eat at Starbucks', I guess

• Options
    Hi @Chimera

Stay warm, monstergirl

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I saw cred got nominated for chat and I was like

oh boy oh boy they've been waiting for this moment I can't wait to see what OP they've got in the wings

and this

this is what I get

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    an OP that also is a perfect definition of itself

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    I didn't know Teddy Roosevelt and FDR were descended from the Schuyler family.

FDR isn't (but Eleanor was)

• Options

You caught on eventually, Sharkboy

You're just not on credeiki's floaking level

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I took floaking to mean the person who's happy to show up and be part of an organization but isn't aspiring to make it the enitre focus of their lives.

From the excerpt it sounds like one for whom the mission is merely a means to the comraderie and carousing that follows.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    For the record snake people would be more accurate but I am warm blooded! Still is so cold today that for Dallas it might as well be the arctic apocalypse seen in the end of The Dat After Tomorrow. It's even raining. Totes the worst.

• Options

From the excerpt it sounds like one for whom the mission is merely a means to the comraderie and carousing that follows.

And that's what most of us sailors are doing.

Then there's that one fucking Sailor.

That fucking guy.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
  • Options
    Chimera wrote: »
    For the record snake people would be more accurate but I am warm blooded! Still is so cold today that for Dallas it might as well be the arctic apocalypse seen in the end of The Dat After Tomorrow. It's even raining. Totes the worst.

Viking Atomika is in her element :mrgreen:

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    @Evil Multifarious

critical question here

1) did you find out which side of the family got the welfare fraud layabout surname spelling, and which side got the god-fearing honest day's work surname

2) did you inform the respective bearers of these names of this

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    My first chat made it to 101, thanks Geth.
    Now I'm gonna prep and then stream some of this new fangled Mario game.

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Chimera wrote: »

Viking Atomika is in her element :mrgreen:

Tropical snekmonster is not. :c

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I can't believe our halloween weekend chat thread is going to be..this

look I am not hating on cred, it's not about cred it's about respecting all hallow's eve

• Options

And that's what most of us sailors are doing.

Then there's that one fucking Sailor.

That fucking guy.

It’s even worse in healthcare. Because then you feel like you don’t want to help people as much as post-grad Sally over there reading up on the latest clinical practice journals.

I just want to make sick people more comfortable and make it through the day without being literally shit upon, and I still miss that mark with shocking regularity.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    As an immerser I progressed to the ranks I aspired to--those that granted me a certain cachet and income while keeping me from fundamental responsibilities. This is what I excel at: the life-technique of aggregated skill, luck, laziness and chutzpah that we call floaking.

Immersers, I think, created the term. Everyone has some floaker in them. There's a devil on your shoulder. Not everyone crewing aspires to master the technique--there are those who want to captain or explore--but for most, floaking is indispensible. Some people think it mere indolence but it's a more active and nuanced technique than that. Floakers aren't afraid of effort: many crew work hard to get shipboard in the first place. I did.

China Mieville coins the term floaking in Embassytown; I immediately thought of the community of floakers that is [chat], because what other sort of person manages to shitpost all day while holding down a job?

In any case, please take this word, because it is delightful.
    This appropriation...

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I went to work for halloween as a camera flash.

Somebody report this man to HR for flashing!

• Options
    "Hey guys instead of bullshitting over there why not study administrative manuals?"

Because go fuck yourself Larry that's why!

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    OK I think I found the line where I stop being a "sjw" and it's at zombie cosmetics

You can't argue with that

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    it's important to know the difference between the Oyster Bay Roosevelts and the Hyde Park Roosevelts

gawl

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    The second cat we adopted has a fking tumor where even if it's tiny and we get it out now, the internet is suggesting median survival is three years

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Ludious wrote: »
    I can't believe our halloween weekend chat thread is going to be..this

look I am not hating on cred, it's not about cred it's about respecting all hallow's eve

If the mouth of hell wants to spew forth its fell minions and drag me screaming into perdition, we’ll, my body is ready, brozelbub

Atomika on
  • Options

Look I really genuinely want [chat] to know that word and also maybe read Embassytown cause it was cool

It's a perfect word and describes a lot of my mindset and way through life

It needs to be set up in contrast to 'protestant work ethic' and 'impostor syndrome'

well and yes, I did have a whole discussion about 'floaking' vs 'crab fab' but never wrote it out, I suppose

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    The second cat we adopted has a fking tumor where even if it's tiny and we get it out now, the internet is suggesting median survival is three years

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

:(

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    *dunks on chat*

• Options
    Halloween is on Tuesday and that is when it is celebrated so help me god

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    @Doodmann be honest: how many times did you tell people to Say Cheese!

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
This discussion has been closed.