Options

Floaking [chat]

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    I feel like we're missing the bigger question here: what kind of zombie goes for the throat and not like, the brains or other fleshy bits?

why wouldn't it go for the throat

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Having your throat cut seems like one of the most unpleasant ways to die, I am also too lazy to Google it but I can't imagine many people choosing that.

I agree.

Also every movie and other source ever says that drowning is supposed to be an easy way, and it's such obvious bullshit. Nobody ever accidentally breathes in a bit of water, like milliliters, and noticed the ungodly pain that causes? Somehow filling your lungs with a hostile substance is aight though?

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @matt has a problem

I'm starting to think that people should be required to take a basic test on construction prior to being allowed to watch DIY shows. With questions like:

1. Building to code:
    A. Too much effort.
    B. More of an aspiration rather than a requirement.
    C. Is the bare minimum effort level.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Perhaps this should have been the OP :)

If this person does not win first prize there is no justice in America

Quid on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    I just don't get how you get from

Starbucks>Zombie Frapp>Barista with zombie bite makeup on their neck

YOU ARE BEING INSENSITIVE ABOUT SUICIDE

what

Dude said there was a line across the neck like it was cut....

And even then... /shrug?

I'm sorry but maybe I'm ignorant of statistics but I can't imagine cutting your own throat is like..a popular suicide method?
    Let me rephrase. It's not a stereotypical method that you would associate with suicide.

Guns, Hanging, Pills, Wristcutting

Dude is..reaching, and I mean reaching.

I recognize that I'm not a mental health professional, but I have spent as much time in a psych ward as most of them, I'd wager, in terms of sheer cumulative hours

And you see a lot of scars, and you hear a lot of stories

And I really don't want to get into it too much because it's gruesome + depressing but even the physiology of trying to cut your own throat is suspect, I'd think!

You'd have to set up some sort of ... guillotine, or throat-cutting machine, you'd think
    Bonus: by the time you finish building your machine you won't even feel like killing yourself anymore.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I thought Halloween was this weekend and I couldn't host trick or treaters but it's Tuesday and I'll be back by then and it will be real cute :)

Are you telling me that until today you weren't entirely sure what day of the month it was

This is like the underwear discussion all over again

Y'all wandering around not knowing the date, wearing ratty underwear full of holes

But I'm the crazy one

You're definitely the crazy one yes

Learn the date and buy yourself some new underwear!

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    Orphane wrote: »
    I guess I get to practice living in the moment and not being anxious about things I can't control, at least.

...can you give the cat back at this point?

uhhhhhhh

Look. Life is stressful. Dealing with the emotional, financial, and physical burden of a cat with aggressive cancer while also thinking about graduating, getting married, and moving cross country is not required. The cat was adopted, what, a month ago, a few weeks ago? Probably not enough time to create a significant emotional connection. One's own emotional health takes priority over charity to one particular animal.

Unfortunately, due to her reclusive nature, we've spent a shitton of time bonding with her, and she's actually super sweet. Also everyone is depressed, though I guess there's no way this isn't going to end in a soulcrushing fashion.

Yes. I think the acute sadness of giving up a pet now is better than the constant depression trigger of watching this happen to a pet you increasingly love. Obviously it's not my decision, and possibly in your situation I would not be able to take my own advice here.
    ...I'm trying to avoid making jokes here about returning the husband with cancer back to the shelter because that's definitely wrong but is amusing me...

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I'm sorry Shiv :(

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I feel that I might be a perfect floaker

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I thought Halloween was this weekend and I couldn't host trick or treaters but it's Tuesday and I'll be back by then and it will be real cute :)

Are you telling me that until today you weren't entirely sure what day of the month it was

This is like the underwear discussion all over again

Y'all wandering around not knowing the date, wearing ratty underwear full of holes

But I'm the crazy one

You're definitely the crazy one yes

Learn the date and buy yourself some new underwear!

Listen, the date constantly changes. If it would stay still, there wouldn't be any problem.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    The second cat we adopted has a fking tumor where even if it's tiny and we get it out now, the internet is suggesting median survival is three years

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

;;;;;_;;;;;

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Cancer treatments aren't exactly cheap either.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    I feel that I might be a perfect floaker

I thought you specifically might find some utility in the word; I believe we have the same sort of tendencies in that regard, and I certainly consider that a core trait for which I previously had no name, so--probably.

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    I have a friend that hates coffee and beer and any other kind of alcohol and I'm like "what do you even drink?"

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Cancer treatments aren't exactly cheap either.
    matzo after she had her tumor removed
    BqCtaYA.jpg?1
    all cats will live forever

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options

what

And even then... /shrug?

I'm sorry but maybe I'm ignorant of statistics but I can't imagine cutting your own throat is like..a popular suicide method?
    Let me rephrase. It's not a stereotypical method that you would associate with suicide.

I recognize that I'm not a mental health professional, but I have spent as much time in a psych ward as most of them, I'd wager, in terms of sheer cumulative hours

And I really don't want to get into it too much because it's gruesome + depressing but even the physiology of trying to cut your own throat is suspect, I'd think!

You'd have to set up some sort of ... guillotine, or throat-cutting machine, you'd think
    Bonus: by the time you finish building your machine you won't even feel like killing yourself anymore.

This is already a rather blasé discussion about a potentially rather sensitive subject, so all I'll say is this

I couldn't decide which reaction button to press here or if it was morally repugnant to press either of them >_>

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    As an immerser I progressed to the ranks I aspired to--those that granted me a certain cachet and income while keeping me from fundamental responsibilities. This is what I excel at: the life-technique of aggregated skill, luck, laziness and chutzpah that we call floaking.

This is some Forer effect shit.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Shivahn, if you give me the details on your cat's condition, I might be able to ask my sister's opinion on it. Obviously her take won't be better than your local vet's because she's not there, but it might be a good second opinion to what you're getting from the internet.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

what

And even then... /shrug?

This is already a rather blasé discussion about a potentially rather sensitive subject, so all I'll say is this

I couldn't decide which reaction button to press here or if it was morally repugnant to press either of them >_>
    this is why we need incomprehensible reaction buttons again
    alternatively widespread adoption of ikqv1ccmkuej.png

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    I guess I get to practice living in the moment and not being anxious about things I can't control, at least.

uhhhhhhh

Look. Life is stressful. Dealing with the emotional, financial, and physical burden of a cat with aggressive cancer while also thinking about graduating, getting married, and moving cross country is not required. The cat was adopted, what, a month ago, a few weeks ago? Probably not enough time to create a significant emotional connection. One's own emotional health takes priority over charity to one particular animal.

ok, but your initial post came off as "this thing is defective, i don't want it anymore"

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Chimera wrote: »
    I have a friend that hates coffee and beer and any other kind of alcohol and I'm like "what do you even drink?"

tea

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    also lots of animals get lipomas and stuff that mimic tumors but arent that bad in reality

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn, if you give me the details on your cat's condition, I might be able to ask my sister's opinion on it. Obviously her take won't be better than your local vet's because she's not there, but it might be a good second opinion to what you're getting from the internet.

I mean, I did go to multiple sites, we did take the cat to the vet, who mentioned these tumors aren't good usually, and it's not that hard to diagnose (it's a mammary tumor). I think I'm right on this, regrettably.

• Options

I mean, I did go to multiple sites, we did take the cat to the vet, who mentioned these tumors aren't good usually, and it's not that hard to diagnose (it's a mammary tumor). I think I'm right on this, regrettably.

:bro: Sorry Shiv, this shit always sucks.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Chimera wrote: »

Malort!

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options

uhhhhhhh

ok, but your initial post came off as "this thing is defective, i don't want it anymore"

Well, yes. This thing has the potential to significantly decrease quality of life--that's a huge defect! If there is an option to not have that happen, take it!

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I used to work with a physician who owned a cat with cancer. The tumor broke the skin was visible as a mass on the cat's body.

It was a tumor caused by the old 3-year rabies vaccine.

The physician decided to just give the cat palliative care until the cat showed signs of discomfort. When I started working with her, the cat had been diagnosed about two years prior and was still going strong. The cat was still alive and doing fine when I left that town and started up a new job elsewhere.

Shiv, it's ultimately up to you and yours, but I just wanted to mention that as a possible option.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

uhhhhhhh

Well, yes. This thing has the potential to significantly decrease quality of life--that's a huge defect! If there is an option to not have that happen, take it!

If it is a worst case scenario, then the right option is 100% euthanasia, I think. If it hasn't metastasized, maybe not, but I am not sure it going back to the shelter is the actual best choice in any circumstance. For her, anyway.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    49th slowest time.

last week I was in my 20s and pushing twice the distance. I do not understand how cleaning up my diet has lead to losses and it's infuriating. My legs are just dying so early on that I feel hobbled and miserable the entire jog. I don't know what's happening and i'm so frustrated.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »
    I used to work with a physician who owned a cat with cancer. The tumor broke the skin was visible as a mass on the cat's body.

It was a tumor caused by the old 3-year rabies vaccine.

The physician decided to just give the cat palliative care until the cat showed signs of discomfort. When I started working with her, the cat had been diagnosed about two years prior and was still going strong. The cat was still alive and doing fine when I left that town and started up a new job elsewhere.

Shiv, it's ultimately up to you and yours, but I just wanted to mention that as a possible option.

Thanks. We have to take them in and have the tumor removed ANYWAY, and maybe it's not malignant. This may end up being the best option. However, both Querry and I are in super shit places right now, psychologically, which... I guess doesn't change the calculus, but sucks.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    As an immerser I progressed to the ranks I aspired to--those that granted me a certain cachet and income while keeping me from fundamental responsibilities. This is what I excel at: the life-technique of aggregated skill, luck, laziness and chutzpah that we call floaking.

*googles* ah yeah I can see it comes off that way but the way the word is used in the book helps describe a very specific meaning
    --that said, even in these couple of paragraphs I think you can see what it means--a sort of joyful combination of 'conning', 'bullshitting', and 'phoning it in,' (but also a sort of effortful component) facilitated by personal charm. Which isn't vague at all.

credeiki on
  • Options

Absolutely true of the bolded, but avoiding responsibility while maximizing other benefits of rank with the least effort is quite concrete and floaksome

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    @Chimera

I'm like your friend.

i drink two things: Chocolate Milk and water with Mio squirted in.

• Options
    I love bogus personality tests. I eat that shit upppp.

• Options
    Like there's a post I want to make about how I have more ... understanding of the planned suicide versus the spontaneous suicide, but the current mood I'm in lacks the patience, nuance, grace, and / or perspicacity to give the subject either the respect or the sensitivity it deserves, so I'll drop it instead.

Not to mention that's a highly subjective discussion about a massively emotional decision and I can't imagine it going terribly well. But I wanted to say these words about my unwillingness to say those words, because it feels important.

Discussions about suicide methods, (feline) end-of-life decisions, mindfulness, and the nobility of greater effort in an impermanent world during the course of an impermanent life ... the day of the dead approaches indeed.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    @Chimera

I'm like your friend.

i drink two things: Chocolate Milk and water with Mio squirted in.

what about chocolate milk with mio squirted in?

• Options
    edited October 2017
    I love bogus personality tests. I eat that shit upppp.

Have you looked at the Enneagram theory? It's obvious hokey bullshit with some pseudoreligious aspecs that is embraced by some business cultures

But when I saw the "replace direct experience with concepts" line i felt a single bead of sweat run down my temple

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    ill be back when we aren't talking about suicide and abandoning cats with cancer

• Options
    ill be back when we aren't talking about suicide and abandoning cats with cancer

No but look up the Enneagram thing you'll love it

• Options
    49th slowest time.

last week I was in my 20s and pushing twice the distance. I do not understand how cleaning up my diet has lead to losses and it's infuriating. My legs are just dying so early on that I feel hobbled and miserable the entire jog. I don't know what's happening and i'm so frustrated.

Take a week off. They haven't told you loudly enough yet, but your legs are protesting!

Plus this is part-mental at this point, and you'll need to almost forget about it, such that you remember it only part-way through your next run, for you to push past it.

This discussion has been closed.