Options

Floaking [chat]

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    The second cat we adopted has a fking tumor where even if it's tiny and we get it out now, the internet is suggesting median survival is three years

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

:(

I mean, there's a 15% chance it's not the hyperaggressive type of cancer

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I just don't get how you get from

Starbucks>Zombie Frapp>Barista with zombie bite makeup on their neck

YOU ARE BEING INSENSITIVE ABOUT SUICIDE

what

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I can't believe our halloween weekend chat thread is going to be..this

look I am not hating on cred, it's not about cred it's about respecting all hallow's eve

It is the 27th, Lud

With our powers combined, we can blast through this thread in the next 12 hours, no problem

Put on a pot of coffee, we've got work to do!

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

what

Dude said there was a line across the neck like it was cut....

And even then... /shrug?

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I can't believe our halloween weekend chat thread is going to be..this

look I am not hating on cred, it's not about cred it's about respecting all hallow's eve

ah sorry, I'm not at all doing halloween this year so it didn't occur to me

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    My Halloween costume this year is going to be a slightly greyer version of myself from last year.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I thought Halloween was this weekend and I couldn't host trick or treaters but it's Tuesday and I'll be back by then and it will be real cute :)

sig.gif
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    *floaks about*

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Halloween is on Tuesday and that is when it is celebrated so help me god

But all the parties are on the weekend.

The lame ones

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    brb petitioning Tube to change my name to visiblefloak

no

floakablehowl

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Man, how many people do you suppose kill themselves by slitting their own throats?

That's some hardcore shit!

I heard a great TEDesque talk recently by one of the Navy Seals that raided Bin Laden

And he was talking about, as a last test in SEAL training, candidates are made to dive underwater and tie a particular knot, five times.

As the storyteller tells it, one of the recruits failed his fifth knot and was on his final try

And he drowned himself trying to do it that final time.

So, the instructor dives in after him, and they pull him out, and they start the sternum rub and then CPR, and thank God he pukes up all the water

"Did i get the knot?!"

"Congratulations, you passed"

"I got the 5th knot!"

"Well, no...look, I'm going to let you in om a secret. This isn't about the knots. The amount of knots you can tie is not part of the curriculum . This test and my job is to gauge your ability to push yourself.

You killed yourself. You passed the goddamn test."

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Embassytown is one of the few times where I felt like it had a false ending and then kept going for a full 1/3 longer, like movies often do.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

what

And even then... /shrug?

I'm sorry but maybe I'm ignorant of statistics but I can't imagine cutting your own throat is like..a popular suicide method?
    Let me rephrase. It's not a stereotypical method that you would associate with suicide.

Guns, Hanging, Pills, Wristcutting

Dude is..reaching, and I mean reaching.

• Options
    There's a Halloween costume contest at my work, but a minority of people participate in it.
    I keep thinking about doing it--I do have costumes, since I like cosplay--but none of my costumes are quite right for the environment (a couple of them are on the slutty side, and the rest are overly specific videogame references).

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I guess I get to practice living in the moment and not being anxious about things I can't control, at least.

• Options
    I thought Halloween was this weekend and I couldn't host trick or treaters but it's Tuesday and I'll be back by then and it will be real cute :)

Are you telling me that until today you weren't entirely sure what day of the month it was

This is like the underwear discussion all over again

Y'all wandering around not knowing the date, wearing ratty underwear full of holes

But I'm the crazy one

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    The second cat we adopted has a fking tumor where even if it's tiny and we get it out now, the internet is suggesting median survival is three years

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
    Oh man. :(

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    I guess I get to practice living in the moment and not being anxious about things I can't control, at least.

...can you give the cat back at this point?

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    I took floaking to mean the person who's happy to show up and be part of an organization but isn't aspiring to make it the enitre focus of their lives.

There's sailors and then there's Sailors.

From the excerpt it sounds like one for whom the mission is merely a means to the comraderie and carousing that follows.

And that's what most of us sailors are doing.

Then there's that one fucking Sailor.

That fucking guy.

Ah!

It pleases me to no end to imagine that very specific attention paid to its capitalization in official pubs is an attempt to hide the existence of this free-wheeling, little "s," shadow Navy.

But I wonder, are these officers trying to preserve it in secret, or deny that these scurrilous floakers abound in spite of their efforts?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    brb petitioning Tube to change my name to visiblefloak

no

floakablehowl

floakifloakhowflk

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Holy shit it's sleeping. What is even happening. Why does the sky hate me? :(

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    you'll floak too, etc.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It's the even nobler form of seppuku, where you cut your own neck and your second mercifully opens your bowels.

It's for extreme nobility.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Perhaps this should have been the OP :)

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »

uhhhhhhh

• Options

I mean

Sure

But I'm not sure it'd feel better to abandon a cat whose life has sucked and has an opportunity to at least have a few good years with us.

• Options
    Honk wrote: »
    Embassytown is one of the few times where I felt like it had a false ending and then kept going for a full 1/3 longer, like movies often do.

Yeah, definitely, I thought it was building towards a particular ending but there was a whole other thing

Pretty cool though

Also how by the end it's like
    Avice, actually you are kinda a tryhard and not a floaker at all--you do realize that, right?

• Options
    Man, how many people do you suppose kill themselves by slitting their own throats?

I heard a great TEDesque talk recently by one of the Navy Seals that raided Bin Laden

And he was talking about, as a last test in SEAL training, candidates are made to dive underwater and tie a particular knot, five times.

As the storyteller tells it, one of the recruits failed his fifth knot and was on his final try

So, the instructor dives in after him, and they pull him out, and they start the sternum rub and then CPR, and thank God he pukes up all the water

"Did i get the knot?!"

"I got the 5th knot!"

"Well, no...look, I'm going to let you in om a secret. This isn't about the knots. The amount of knots you can tie is not part of the curriculum . This test and my job is to gauge your ability to push yourself.

I don't

I don't know that I support most of the message in this story

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    If I am in the room with a president and my child and the president hands my child candy and says: "You have no weight issues, that's the good news".

The secret service are going to earn their pay.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Having your throat cut seems like one of the most unpleasant ways to die, I am also too lazy to Google it but I can't imagine many people choosing that.

• Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    we all floak down here.

• Options
    Perhaps this should have been the OP :)

I want to be his best friend. I've never seen stranger things because @Chelleyeah watched the show without me so I'll never get to see it now but I know what eleven looks like and that's amazing and I bet he wouldn't have watched Stranger Things without me

• Options
    Orphane wrote: »

uhhhhhhh

Look. Life is stressful. Dealing with the emotional, financial, and physical burden of a cat with aggressive cancer while also thinking about graduating, getting married, and moving cross country is not required. The cat was adopted, what, a month ago, a few weeks ago? Probably not enough time to create a significant emotional connection. One's own emotional health takes priority over charity to one particular animal.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I feel like we're missing the bigger question here: what kind of zombie goes for the throat and not like, the brains or other fleshy bits?

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options

what

And even then... /shrug?

I'm sorry but maybe I'm ignorant of statistics but I can't imagine cutting your own throat is like..a popular suicide method?
    Let me rephrase. It's not a stereotypical method that you would associate with suicide.

Guns, Hanging, Pills, Wristcutting

Dude is..reaching, and I mean reaching.

I recognize that I'm not a mental health professional, but I have spent as much time in a psych ward as most of them, I'd wager, in terms of sheer cumulative hours

And you see a lot of scars, and you hear a lot of stories

And I really don't want to get into it too much because it's gruesome + depressing but even the physiology of trying to cut your own throat is suspect, I'd think!

You'd have to set up some sort of ... guillotine, or throat-cutting machine, you'd think

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

"Did i get the knot?!"

"I got the 5th knot!"

I don't

I don't know that I support most of the message in this story

The Black Knight isn't supposed to be emulated!
    According to the DVD audio commentary by Cleese, Palin, and Idle, the sequence originated in a story told to Cleese when he was attending an English class during his school days. Two Roman wrestlers were engaged in a particularly intense match and had been fighting for so long that the two combatants were doing little more than leaning into one another. It was only when one wrestler finally tapped out and pulled away from his opponent that he and the crowd realised the other man was, in fact, dead and had effectively won the match posthumously. The moral of the tale, according to Cleese's teacher, was "if you never give up, you can't possibly lose" – a statement that, Cleese reflected, always struck him as being "philosophically unsound".

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

Are you telling me that until today you weren't entirely sure what day of the month it was

This is like the underwear discussion all over again

Y'all wandering around not knowing the date, wearing ratty underwear full of holes

But I'm the crazy one

You're definitely the crazy one yes

sig.gif
  • Options
    Orphane wrote: »

uhhhhhhh

Look. Life is stressful. Dealing with the emotional, financial, and physical burden of a cat with aggressive cancer while also thinking about graduating, getting married, and moving cross country is not required. The cat was adopted, what, a month ago, a few weeks ago? Probably not enough time to create a significant emotional connection. One's own emotional health takes priority over charity to one particular animal.

Unfortunately, due to her reclusive nature, we've spent a shitton of time bonding with her, and she's actually super sweet. Also everyone is depressed, though I guess there's no way this isn't going to end in a soulcrushing fashion.

• Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    If I am in the room with a president and my child and the president hands my child candy and says: "You have no weight issues, that's the good news".

The secret service are going to earn their pay.

Here's my hot take on that whole thing. What he said to the kids was awful but I question parents who let their children near a sexual predator who has openly referred to minors as being hot. The parents put those children in harm's way.

Nope I'm not kidding.

This discussion has been closed.