As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Russia/US investigation thread] - Mueller seeks to question Trump

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    As is uh, apparently usual for Trump Jr. releasing shit, this doesn't actually make Trump Junior look any better.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    My absolute favourite part of it is this:
    On October 3, 2016, WikiLeaks wrote again. “Hiya, it’d be great if you guys could comment on/push this story,” WikiLeaks suggested, attaching a quote from then-Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton about wanting to “just drone” WikiLeaks founder, Julian Assange.

“Already did that earlier today,” Trump Jr. responded an hour-and-a-half later. “It’s amazing what she can get away with.”

Yeah Jr. It's amazing what she can get away with

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Kana wrote: »
    As is uh, apparently usual for Trump Jr. releasing shit, this doesn't actually make Trump Junior look any better.

Not to us. But we're not the target audience.
    I happened to be on a chat channel with some of them earlier, in a game, which accounts for my current mood.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So in more Russia-US investigation news,

Sessions is considering appointing a second special council to investigate Clinton and the Uranium One deal with Russia, urged on by GOP concerns.

After watching John Oliver's latest piece on Trump... Whataboutism, indeed.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    "I shat myself on purpose!"

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    So we already have this...

I propose an addendum/sequel

WaPo: We're getting ready to release a story that shows TrumpJR shat himself
    TrumpJR: (to the entire planet) Here is photographic evidence of me shitting myself in the worst possible way
    WaPo: ...

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    He's doing this again

Here is the entire chain of messages with @wikileaks (with my whopping 3 responses) which one of the congressional committees has chosen to selectively leak. How ironic! 1/3 https://t.co/SiwTqWtykA

If this is just what he's gonna do from now on he should go ahead dump all the hilariously incriminating stuff he's got on himself and get it over with.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure blood is shooting straight out of my brain's eyeballs

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I think Don Jr is trying for some hamfisted sort of transparency.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    He's doing this again

Here is the entire chain of messages with @wikileaks (with my whopping 3 responses) which one of the congressional committees has chosen to selectively leak. How ironic! 1/3 https://t.co/SiwTqWtykA

If this is just what he's gonna do from now on he should go ahead dump all the hilariously incriminating stuff he's got on himself and get it over with.

So... what if one of the major papers started asking for comment on their upcoming story about TrumpJr e-mailing Putin directly to personally thank him for the election assistance...

What do we think the worst thing he did is? Let's see if we can get him to tweet it.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I think Don Jr is trying for some hamfisted sort of transparency.

“People like transparency right? I’ll just forward the books I cooked directly to the police. I’m sure they know how best to get it to the people.”

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »
    He's doing this again

So... what if one of the major papers started asking for comment on their upcoming story about TrumpJr e-mailing Putin directly to personally thank him for the election assistance...

What do we think the worst thing he did is? Let's see if we can get him to tweet it.

If the pee tape were real, a newspaper could probably get him to admit it just by pretending to have a copy of it.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure blood is shooting straight out of my brain's eyeballs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xiWw5dwngc

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Sessions is considering appointing a second special council to investigate Clinton and the Uranium One deal with Russia, urged on by GOP concerns.

Would you be surprised to learn that the Times version of this article is a) garbage and b) co-authored by Haberman? No? You would not?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    not at all.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Yeah President Trump is under investigation, but so is Hillary! Haha we win! Both sides!

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I think it's so nice that they are going to start investigating Hillary again. She must be feeling bored and lonely after her book tour finished. This'll give a retired old lady something to do.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    If you want to see the propaganda machine in full swing, check the replies to Don Jr.'s tweet up there.

Is there any actual good strategy behind releasing some pictures of those conversations himself or does he just totally think he didn't ever do anything wrong?

• Options
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2017

Well, that’s a disaster in the making. Isn’t he supposed to be recused, or is he gonna argue his recusal doesn’t cover this?

Edit: fucking autocorrect.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Elki wrote: »

Well, that’s a disaster in the making. Isn’t he supposed to be recused, or is he gonna argue his refusal doesn’t cover this?

Almost certainly the latter. After he appoints the stooge special counsel, he'll be entirely hands-off. Really.

• Options
    This nonsense is in the fucking Times, by the way:

DOjze30X4AAzd9n.jpg:large

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    This nonsense is in the fucking Times, by the way:

DOjze30X4AAzd9n.jpg:large

The Times hates the Clintons so goddamn much.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Meanwhile, Franken is demanding Sessions come back to the Senate again to perjure himself some more.

it would be nice if instead of bringing him back to iterate more they would just hold him in contempt

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Shorty wrote: »
    Meanwhile, Franken is demanding Sessions come back to the Senate again to perjure himself some more.

it would be nice if instead of bringing him back to iterate more they would just hold him in contempt

We need to elect Doug Jones, Jacky Rosen, and Kyrsten Sinema (or Beto O'Rourke) first.

EDIT: Or McConnell et al would have to decide the rule of law matters, but that seems considerably less likely than Alabama sending a Democrat to the Senate.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    If you want to see the propaganda machine in full swing, check the replies to Don Jr.'s tweet up there.

Is there any actual good strategy behind releasing some pictures of those conversations himself or does he just totally think he didn't ever do anything wrong?

My newest theory is that he's shitting his pants scared and like a guilty child, thinks that giving up information somehow will make it ok? The real answer though is he's a moron.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Well, that’s a disaster in the making. Isn’t he supposed to be recused, or is he gonna argue his recusal doesn’t cover this?

He'll preemptively declare that it infringes on the right to consider using executive privilege. Somehow.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    Serious question?

On what grounds could the Obama administration have denied the Uranium One acquisition? Isn't it privately held by a Canadian company?

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Sicarii wrote: »
    Serious question?

On what grounds could the Obama administration have denied the Uranium One acquisition? Isn't it privately held by a Canadian company?

LIBRUL!

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Serious question?

It falls under the jurisdiction of the Committee on Foreign Investments in the US.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

He'll preemptively declare that it infringes on the right to consider using executive privilege. Somehow.

Realistically though, I don't think he'd be limited by previous questioning in any way. They asked if he intended and he said no, but I doubt there's any penalty if he simply decided to change his mind; especially if they claim that new evidence was uncovered since his confirmation hearing.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Jr. really wants Mueller to be his waifu?

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I'm still hoping that this shake in such a way that the GOP is done for and that there is plenty of grounds to remove everyone that works in this admin or was appointed by it. I mean at this point, it pretty damn clear that anyone working with this admin or that they are willing to allow to have power (court appointees, is a fucking crook and unfit to be in any position of power).

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    I'm still hoping that this shake in such a way that the GOP is done for and that there is plenty of grounds to remove everyone that works in this admin or was appointed by it. I mean at this point, it pretty damn clear that anyone working with this admin or that they are willing to allow to have power (court appointees, is a fucking crook and unfit to be in any position of power).

Given how it needs 2/3 of the senate, our absolute best case would probably be someone like Romney being appointed to be a Ford.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Serious question?

It falls under the jurisdiction of the Committee on Foreign Investments in the US.

And CFIUS is composed of representatives of the departments of Treasury, Defense, State, Justice, Commerce, Energy, Homeland Security, and Office of the U.S. Trade Representative and Office of Science and Technology Policy. The State Department under Clinton wasn't the sole arbiter of that decision, not that such business would rise to a Cabinet-level decision in the first place.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

I'd like to know what there is to investigate; this appears to be entirely a case of two foreign companies making a buisness agreement that required hillary's approval only because of the scale of the mining rights being sold.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Serious question?

They could have declared it a national security threat. Which would be a lie, but that's what they theoretically could have done.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

I'd like to know what there is to investigate; this appears to be entirely a case of two foreign companies making a buisness agreement that required hillary's approval only because of the scale of the mining rights being sold.

I don't think it actually required Hillary's approval, just whatever State Department person was on the panel or whatever. To the best of my knowledge Hillary wasn't a direct participant, but even if she was the approval was unanimous, and current members of the panel have said they would still unanimously approve it today. Don't waste our time and money, Sessions.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

Even that is giving it way too much credit. At most, she could've raised an objection. AT MOST. As could any of the other people involved. Obama still had the final say. It's a complete non starter of a conspiracy that doesn't have a quid, quo, or has even shown a shred of evidence that the principal was a part of it at all.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    In short, probably nothing.
    But CLINTON! and OBAMA!

This discussion has been closed.