As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Huh, so with that Labo (Lab0?) announcement, after a few months of exclusive Docked + Pro Controller use, I figured I'd give the actual Switch and JoyCons another close up look.

Uh, left JoyCon is completely unresponsive. Switch doesn't consider it connected, no lights come up at all when pressing buttons. Tried the sync button, too, but nothing. Now I have some vague recollection of other people running into the same issue and getting it to work again, so I figured I'd ask here before contacting Nintendo.

Labo seems cool. I'd love to build/mess around with that for a couple of days, but ehhhh. Kid sister would be all over it, though. Doesn't have her own Switch, though.

The little itty bitty sync button on the side of the joycon, yeah? I had to hold it for a good two or so seconds with a toothpick before the lights started flashing. Just make sure you tried that. I've got my joycon in my hand right now just to test it, and simply pressing it does nothing.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Also turn the Switch all the way off and on again, with the joycon connected to it. You have to hold down the power button for a bit.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Toothpick? That button between the SL and SR buttons, right? I can press that with my nail, no problem. But no, nothing. Quick press, 2 seconds, 10 seconds - nothing.

[Edit1] Compared to the right JoyCon, it seems like it's a case of empty battery. Will try the full reboot thing.

[Fake Edit2] Nope, still nothing.

Maybe I can visit my brother and compare/mess around - see if it's a JoyCon or Switch issue, but either way, probably going to have to contact Nintendo.

Thanks, though!

Ark Evensong on
  • Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    I don't think people have made a huge deal about this yet, but consider this announcement in combination with the Lab0 announcement.

https://www.fuze.co.uk/nintendo-switch.html

So basically once people have a better idea of how the IR camera is doing all this magic, people can make there own games and labo devices for those games.

This immediately came to mind too. Imagine the possibilities!

And I don't know if anyone has noted it already, but apparently the software itself has some kind of custom/programming thing going on.

Really, really interesting thing and education departments will eat this up! This is just the thing to get kids (and engineerin students) engaged and get their imagination running. If they get the custom programming working, imagine how useful it will be for students of all ages?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Think about mainline Nintendo games that have cheap optional Labo support kits for alternative methods of play.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Labo's target demographic are beyond hyped!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Disgaea 1 remake is coming to Japan this Summer. Most likely coming west later

http://nintendoeverything.com/disgaea-1-remake-heading-to-japan-this-summer/

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    This was posted over in SE++

Looks like they'll be offering PDF patterns or something?

Sadly this report seems to have been in error.

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-will-not-distribute-nintendo-land-cardboard-patterns-for-free/

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Remember that Korg synthesizer thing for the 3DS?
    Well it looks like theres a new one coming out for the Switch.

some deets:
    Award-winning music creation software KORG Gadget is now available for the Nintendo Switch. Plentiful instrumental gadgets combined with a simple and intuitive graphical interface enable speedy music creation. With this new music creation studio, one can create and perform music by actively twisting and turning the Joy-Con.

There is also a multi-player mode in which up to four people can collaborate in making music. Connect via an HDMI cable to enjoy playing on the TV in your living room, or use it with a projector for big live performances. Everyone can enjoy this new game-like DAW experience.

Employs the intuitive KORG Gadget user interface

The KORG Gadget’s most amazing feature is the intuitive music creation workflow, enabled by the KORG Gadget for Nintendo Switch user interface. Sound, Phrase, Sequence, and Mix are contained in an intuitive layout, and allow for seamless music creation. Also, it can also be set to “scale mode” to match the song. Even those who are unaccustomed to synthesizers are able to enjoy creating songs.

16 unique synthesizer and drum machine gadgets

The KORG Gadget for Nintendo Switch includes 16 gadget instruments required for music creation. In addition to numerous unique synthesizers, ready-to-use drum machines and Kamata jointly developed with BANDAI NAMCO STUDIO are all included. All gadgets have sophisticated adjustable parameters for rapidly producing all manner of sounds. You will find inspiring sounds quickly and easily.

Actively create and perform by operating the Joy-Con
    Joy-Con sensors allow for enjoyable creation and performance of HD effects. For example , turn the Joy-Con to turn the knob on a gadget, or twist to enter or play the notes of a scale that matches the song. In both cases, HD vibration matching the movement is transmitted to the hand, so you can experience sensory feedback that has never been available in software before. In addition, it is also possible to perform and input using the Joy-Con buttons and sticks. Try challenging yourself in various ways.

Multi-player mode allows for collaboration by up to 4 people

We’ve added a multi-player mode that allows up to 4 people to collaborate on a song. This new style allows four people to play simultaneously on a screen divided into four parts. Each player can be responsible for his or her own part, or you can make it a DAW competition – perhaps erase or add the notes of another player, and turn music creation into a game!

The Living room, mobile: Play wherever you’d like

Using the Nintendo Switch dock’s HDMI cable, the KORG Gadget can be played on your TV. You can create a song on the big screen, or enjoy collaborating with up to four people. Also, by outputting to a screen, you can even using the Joy-Con for a live performance. Create music with this studio anytime, anywhere by choosing between TV Mode, Table Mode, Mobile Mode, etc.

http://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_gadget_for_nintendo_switch/

edit: btw its not actually out, I dunno why it says that at the top of the quote. The release date is still Spring 2018

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Another thought on why Labo is brilliant -- Sony, Microsoft and the rest of the third-parties have pretty much given up on doing anything kid-friendly.

Minecraft is still chugging along and there's the Lego stuff, but there's really nothing that would specifically make a parent of a kid under 12 want to buy a PS4 or Xbone, especially since the few major kid-friendly things are multiplatform. Those pesky smartphones have pretty much taken up the slack in that regard.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    As someone who wants to be all digital, I really would love to see them sell the pack of cardboard cutouts for like $5, and let me buy the game digitally.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Labo robot is a neat idea. It reminds me of the head-tracking stuff that people figured out with the Wiimote that never got used in an official game.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    As someone who wants to be all digital, I really would love to see them sell the pack of cardboard cutouts for like $5, and let me buy the game digitally.

I'm pretty sure someone will scan those things in and distribute them on day 1

heck, I have a 36" scanner, it'd take me all of 30 seconds to do every pattern

(I won't be buying it though so I can't)

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I just thought about Labo and Paper Mario and now I’m gonna need to sit down

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Another thought on why Labo is brilliant -- Sony, Microsoft and the rest of the third-parties have pretty much given up on doing anything kid-friendly.

Minecraft is still chugging along and there's the Lego stuff, but there's really nothing that would specifically make a parent of a kid under 12 want to buy a PS4 or Xbone, especially since the few major kid-friendly things are multiplatform. Those pesky smartphones have pretty much taken up the slack in that regard.

Only kinda related, but this reminded me of all the parents who have come in the store, and they clearly just want a PS4 of XBO for themselves, but the one parent is trying to justify it to the other as something for their little kid. I always bring up the Switch when parents are shopping for little ones, not trying to convert them, but making them aware of their options. You can always spot the parent who really wants it for themselves when they start scrambling for reasons why Nintendo would be a terrible option for their child.

• Options
    borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    Oh, I just realized that Labo is the patent we were talking about like a year and a half ago, speculating about the NX.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/35764402#Comment_35764402
    That patent idea is amazing. I can't decide if it's genius or idiotic.

18 months later, I've decided on "genius". :)

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Labo robot is a neat idea. It reminds me of the head-tracking stuff that people figured out with the Wiimote that never got used in an official game.

The Labo Robot reminds me how badly I wanted to grow up to be Optimus Prime as a kid. I even used to make robot arms and legs out of waffle blocks and wear them around the house.

I might be in my 30's now... but it's still tempting...

I think what I love about this is it's such a Nintendo idea. I wonder if Microsoft and Sony are freaking out, or just confused. Probably just confused if I had to put money down on it.

• Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

My guess (hope) is that if the full package with cartridge is $70, then they also put on shelves a cartridgeless package for like $20-25 that can be way to replace damaged pieces and/or can be paired with a digital version of the game sold on the eShop for $50. Solves both "issues" (selling cardboard replacements, wanting to have the game digitally) at the same time.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Best course of action is that yeah, Nintendo sells just the cardboard. If not, count on people creating stencils you can print out and then glue onto an old refrigerator box or what have you and just DIY the whole thing.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Namrok wrote: »
    I think what I love about this is it's such a Nintendo idea. I wonder if Microsoft and Sony are freaking out, or just confused. Probably just confused if I had to put money down on it.

I doubt they would be confused or freaking out. Even if many initial reactions are positive, it could still end up a big flop. Reviews might come out and say it's real easy to build it slightly wrong and have it work inconsistently. Or even if you build it right. It might turn out that it's too easy for the joycons/Switch to fall out of the housings or get scraped up. It might just not be fun to play with outside of the building process. Who knows.

I'm not hoping it's a flop, or predicting it will be one. It'd be cool if it turned out to be the next big thing. But nothing is a sure thing in the games (cardboard toys?) business.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

The Labo Robot reminds me how badly I wanted to grow up to be Optimus Prime as a kid. I even used to make robot arms and legs out of waffle blocks and wear them around the house.

I might be in my 30's now... but it's still tempting...

I wanted to grow up to be Aladdin, because I was in love with Princess Jasmine when I was 8.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I showed my kids the Labo video last night and they immediately asked to watch it again 2 more times. I think I'm going to have to buy 2 of each kit though so they don't fight over who gets to decorate what. Damn you Nintendo!!

I think it would be cool if this thing takes off if games start having specific modes designed for a cardboard peripheral you can buy. I wouldn't want to play through the whole new Metroid game with a cardboard gun on my hand, but it would be cool if there was a mode that utilized a $15 cutout I could buy. Basically make these cardboard peripherals a new form of DLC that devs can sell.

chuck steak on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    The cardboard stuff for other games is mostly reminding me of the wheel from Mario Kart. It's neat but ultimately not actually necessary and I certainly wouldn't go pay extra for one. I'm not seeing a ton of ways this stuff could be used in more traditional games but I am intrigued by the idea, I'd just need to see a proof of concept before I got excited I guess. Something like using the camera/reflective strips for a rock band guitar instead of a regular one with buttons sounds neat but I can't imagine that would be anywhere as responsive as wired buttons.

Hopefully the games that come with the thing are fleshed out enough. They seem neat from that preview but I could also see them just being fairly shallow minigames. And a bit of a bummer that they aren't doing the patterns for free, but not unexpected either.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    The cardboard stuff for other games is mostly reminding me of the wheel from Mario Kart. It's neat but ultimately not actually necessary and I certainly wouldn't go pay extra for one. I'm not seeing a ton of ways this stuff could be used in more traditional games but I am intrigued by the idea, I'd just need to see a proof of concept before I got excited I guess. Something like using the camera/reflective strips for a rock band guitar instead of a regular one with buttons sounds neat but I can't imagine that would be anywhere as responsive as wired buttons.

Hopefully the games that come with the thing are fleshed out enough. They seem neat from that preview but I could also see them just being fairly shallow minigames. And a bit of a bummer that they aren't doing the patterns for free, but not unexpected either.

I think they are being very clear that this is very much aimed at kids, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's never anything that really appeals to you if you don't have kids. This stuff is as much, or more, about building and decorating the stuff and the novelty of using your creations in a game, and less about the actual quality and complexity of the gameplay itself.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    @WACriminal mentioned the piano being a good proof of concept for some new crazy control schemes, and that's what has me most excited about this. Instead of the 13 key piano, there's a little control panel with 13 (or maybe more) dials, knobs, switches, etc., and the game is an FTL-lite spaceship simulation game or a Spaceteam or Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes silly multiplayer game.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

I'm sure they wont ignore there digital audience. They already said they were going to sell replacement cardboards, so instead of the kit, just buy the resupply pack along with the digital copy.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Watching this Labo stuff reminds me of something...familiar....

In 2011, I created a game concept in college that was a co-op PC game that kids played with their parents. It was a side-scrolling, action puzzle game that encouraged the players to work together to solve puzzles and defeat enemies. Rewards included customizing gear and character appearances (colors, shapes, adding designs, etc).

The best part? There was a system in place that would allow the kids to print out 3D papercraft versions of their characters. They could then play with their unique, in-game avatars at home, on the road, or at a friend's house. No two would be alike!

I wonder if something like that would be even remotely viable these days?

It's not quite what you're describing, but that reminded me of an edutainment title I remember using from the early 90's - Designer Castles. Use an interface to design a medieval castle... and then print out the model components to construct it.

• Options
    I tried to think of something I might consider buying that would appeal to more than kids. What do you think of this concept?

CM3n3xv.png

• Options
    Switch sold 1.5 million last month, which is just bananas. I think Wii topped out at 1 million in Decembers?

• Options
    I tried to think of something I might consider buying that would appeal to more than kids. What do you think of this concept?

CM3n3xv.png

That's a really cool idea. Might it be beyond the capability of the joycon camera through? (I honestly have no idea what's in the joycon camera and how it works). My understanding is it could use the reflectors as an on/off switch, basically a binary toggle. Would the joycon be able to tell the difference between Waluigi's reflector and the rock's reflector? No idea.

I love all the creative and off the wall ideas that Labo has already inspired. Hopefully some/most/all can be realized.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

I doubt they would be confused or freaking out. Even if many initial reactions are positive, it could still end up a big flop. Reviews might come out and say it's real easy to build it slightly wrong and have it work inconsistently. Or even if you build it right. It might turn out that it's too easy for the joycons/Switch to fall out of the housings or get scraped up. It might just not be fun to play with outside of the building process. Who knows.

I'm not hoping it's a flop, or predicting it will be one. It'd be cool if it turned out to be the next big thing. But nothing is a sure thing in the games (cardboard toys?) business.

I can certainly picture this being a flash in the pan kind of deal, but since they are selling people cardboard I imagine the overhead for it will be ridiculously good for Nintendo. Enough so for them to easily support it for a good while even if the sales after the initial excitement are mediocre.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    Welp, this mid-30s kid is definitely going to be purchasing a Robot kit.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
  • Options
    bficky wrote: »
    That's a really cool idea. Might it be beyond the capability of the joycon camera through? (I honestly have no idea what's in the joycon camera and how it works). My understanding is it could use the reflectors as an on/off switch, basically a binary toggle. Would the joycon be able to tell the difference between Waluigi's reflector and the rock's reflector? No idea.

I love all the creative and off the wall ideas that Labo has already inspired. Hopefully some/most/all can be realized.

Yeah I have no idea if it's viable. I know the piano is 13 keys and it's either reading them by position or by color of reflector?

They could do it just by sensing which are covered and which are open. Set up the board with scenery and cover in place, Switch takes note of which holes are covered, then tells you to place Mario, take note which hole gets covered, and then on Mario's turn they know which position he's starting from and whichever new one is covered is where he moved to.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I dont know who Michael Pachter is, but going by that tweet he sounds like a really lovely person that I'd enjoy spending time with. No, wait, the opposite of that.

Papercraft+engineering=day one purchase. That my kids will love it is almost just a bonus.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Hah! I just realized something that I think Nintendo is totally banking on. These cardboard constructs are not going to survive a week in the hands of a child.

Clever girl Nintendo, clever girl.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I dont know who Michael Pachter is, but going by that tweet he sounds like a really lovely person that I'd enjoy spending time with. No, wait, the opposite of that.

Papercraft+engineering=day one purchase. That my kids will love it is almost just a bonus.

if I remember correctly from the Wii U argument days, he's perhaps the most well-known Nintendo doomsayers; been on the hill for years.

• Options

He's a video game sales analyst known best for being kind of jerky and being very, very wrong. Like, a lot. I remember him best for insisting for YEARS after release that the PS3 would become the best-selling console of its generation just as soon as the zombie hordes of PS2 owners reanimated.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Pachter is some kind of business analysis dude who works for some economic magazine or something and he specializes in videogames/videogame companies.

He is most well known for being astoundingly wrong all the time.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Axen wrote: »
    Hah! I just realized something that I think Nintendo is totally banking on. These cardboard constructs are not going to survive a week in the hands of a child.

Clever girl Nintendo, clever girl.

Nah, seriously there are a bunch of cardboard/paper/construction crafty things for kids that do last, for kids who have been taught to take care of their toys. I had them as a kid. I think some of them are still even assembled and in good condition.

Age 6 or under, yeah, they will be wrecked immediately. After that, heck they will probably take pride in having made it themselves and take extra care of it.

WMs3s7t.png

UncleSporky on
This discussion has been closed.