As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Oh dang I hope Shamir is a usable unit because she looks cool as heck.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I'm pretty anti-church, so I'll probably skip the church house. Unless it's based on a non-god deity like dragons or whatever. But if they're going for the "Old holy dude in the clouds" shtick, they'll get a hard pass.

Edit: Google says it's a goddess thing, so maybe it won't be so bad. Still keeping my eye on 'em. :)

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    The Goddess is probably a dragon, or at least her main Saint (the Divine Seiros) is:

1558441707217.jpg

The question is whether the white dragon is the Goddess herself, or Seiros. (The four other dragons match with there being four other Saints - Cichol, Cethlenn, Macuil, and Indech).

All the houses are likely religious in some capacity. The officer's academy is in the equivalent of the Vatican, run directly by the military arm of the Church of Seiros and overseen by one of its Archbishops. In addition, Edelgard bares Seiros' crest (which is also incorporated into Adrestria's flag), while Faerghus styles itself a Holy Kingdom. The Leicester Alliance is less overtly religious, but even they have members like Marianne who are extremely faithful.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I've got my own little fan theory that Sothis is going to be the Yune to Seiros' Ashera. The ""Dark God"" on the side of Nemesis.

I don't really have anything to base this on other than that Byleth and Nemesis share a Crest and a sword and that this seems like a probable story beat in a JRPG.

• Options
    Pre-order via voucher ready! When's it release again?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Pre-order via voucher ready! When's it release again?

20 days from now. Possibly 21. Depending on time zone.

• Options
    I've got my own little fan theory that Sothis is going to be the Yune to Seiros' Ashera. The ""Dark God"" on the side of Nemesis.

I don't really have anything to base this on other than that Byleth and Nemesis share a Crest and a sword and that this seems like a probable story beat in a JRPG.

Sothis also has the same symbol ("The Crest of Flames", aka the Fire Emblem) as Byleth and Nemesis The Liberation King on her clothing. And if you superimpose said Crest on top of the mural of the Goddess and her Saints, they line up. So there's definitely some connection between it all.

• Options

Sothis also has the same symbol ("The Crest of Flames", aka the Fire Emblem) as Byleth and Nemesis The Liberation King on her clothing. And if you superimpose said Crest on top of the mural of the Goddess and her Saints, they line up. So there's definitely some connection between it all.

Yeah. I assume Sothis' Crest was originally on that mural, but the angelic figure has been painted over it in an attempt to erase Sothis from history.

But hey, that's just a theory.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yesssssss.

They said a regular single run through the game is about 80 hours.

That's what I wanted to hear. Hopefully if your really dig around and try to see/do everything you can in the one playthrough you can get even more out of it. If I can get 100 hours or near to it from a play through I will be extremely happy.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Shit, either I'm getting old or there are too many games worth playing if an 80 hour single play-through starts sounding long.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I'm pretty anti-church, so I'll probably skip the church house. Unless it's based on a non-god deity like dragons or whatever. But if they're going for the "Old holy dude in the clouds" shtick, they'll get a hard pass.

Edit: Google says it's a goddess thing, so maybe it won't be so bad. Still keeping my eye on 'em. :)

I mean, it's all a fake religion anyways so it's not like you'd be supporting a real one :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Yesssssss.

They said a regular single run through the game is about 80 hours.

That's what I wanted to hear. Hopefully if your really dig around and try to see/do everything you can in the one playthrough you can get even more out of it. If I can get 100 hours or near to it from a play through I will be extremely happy.

80 hours? Oh no....that is like the worse thing I could have heard. :(

That’s like months of time to finish, which may not happen since other things come out or distractions happen. Exactly the reason I prefer 8-12 hour games these days.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    80 hours means it'll be my bus game for a good while. Fire Emblem is great for playing on the bus.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Gimme all them hours. It's why I love RPG type games. If I really enjoy a game I want to spend as long as possible in that world and if it has stats and level up sort of mechanics those always feel better to me when used over a longer period of time. Makes all of that character building feel more meaningful.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Anyone else over here planning out their parties already?

With the characters we've seen so far I've got:

Byleth
    Claude
    Petra
    Dorothea
    Sylvain

Those are like my core characters I want to use.

Then we have the probably characters unless someone else shows up that I like better for the role:

Raphael
    Leonie

And finally uncertain if they are actually usable character:

Shamir

Shamir would be in category 1 if not for the uncertainty.

And I don't like using too many units so even in fights with higher unit caps I would just stick to 7-8.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    I dunno enough about the supporting characters yet to decide much. All I know is I'm going Black Eagles so those guys mostly. I may steal Raphael from the Deers cuz he is the man and I dunno... Mercedes or Alolan Serra or something... I'll have to see who all are fun characters and how many it actually lets me recruit from other houses (maybe it's infinite but you are restricted based on time and resources... so recruiting a lot from other houses might cause your students to suffer with less training, or something...).

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
  • Options
    Alolan Serra, that's a good one!

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Anyone else over here planning out their parties already?

With the characters we've seen so far I've got:

Byleth
    Claude
    Petra
    Dorothea
    Sylvain

Those are like my core characters I want to use.

Then we have the probably characters unless someone else shows up that I like better for the role:

Raphael
    Leonie

And finally uncertain if they are actually usable character:

Shamir

Shamir would be in category 1 if not for the uncertainty.

And I don't like using too many units so even in fights with higher unit caps I would just stick to 7-8.

The way that it seems to work is that you pick a house, and get the eight characters in that house. You can then recruit students from other houses, but they all have individual "wants" to be recruited. So it's probably not possible to meet the demands of all of them in one play through, limiting how many you can recruit. Students demands that are known:

Petra [Dexterity // Riding]
    Mercedes [Magic // Bows]
    Lorenz [Charm // Reason]
    Raphael [Strength // Armour]
    Lysithea [Magic // Faith]
    Leonie [Strength // Lances]

You probably can't recruit the other lords (for story purposes) and maybe one of the other students that seem like they're too loyal (Hubert, Dedue, Hilda). It seems like all the teachers/staff should be recruitable, but you might need to raise supports with them or something.

So with that list of characters you'll want to choose Golden Deer for Claude, then train your Byleth to be a Cavalier for the Riding and Dexterity to sway Petra away from the Black Eagles. (Or go Thief, and just train Riding.) It's not known yet what will convince Sylvain and Dorothea to switch houses.

//

I hope we get a video, like we did last week with the Black Eagles. Also: it's a little odd that they've included Sreng as Faerghus territory. The Adrestrian Empire didn't include Brigid, and we know they're a vassal. (On the other hand, it kind of looks like it was done in five minutes by an intern in photoshop, so maybe they made a mistake.)

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    Oh yea I'm fully aware of how the stealing works. That's why I just have my 3 favs to steal picked. That will be my main goal in the beginning of the game, doing whatever I need to get those three. I'm just hoping the game has some repeatable battles for grinding it out a bit to get to stuff I want.

• Options
    Oh yea I'm fully aware of how the stealing works. That's why I just have my 3 favs to steal picked. That will be my main goal in the beginning of the game, doing whatever I need to get those three. I'm just hoping the game has some repeatable battles for grinding it out a bit to get to stuff I want.

It does. On Normal, I believe. I don't think there are repeatable battles on Hard.

• Options

It does. On Normal, I believe. I don't think there are repeatable battles on Hard.

Normal run incoming if that's the case!

• Options
    alx4qstypo19.jpg

Behind the scenes image for the cover shoot of Three Houses.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    When asked about the run time of the game, Kasukihara revealed that playing through just one of the three houses takes 80 hours.

“To the end the game with just one of the three houses, it took me 80 hours. I did not cut the vocals or cutscenes, of course.” Kasukihara said, “So if you want to do the three paths, it can take you more than 200 hours.”

JeuxVideo said the three different houses will lead to three different ends, so if you want to see every one of them, you’re looking at a time investment of more than 200 hours. The runtime is sizable, but not so surprising given that most games in the series are pretty lengthy. If the different houses do lead to "relatively different scenarios" or endings, that's certainly a good motivation to do multiple playthroughs.

Maaaan I might only end up playing through one campaign this time around, at least this year. Maybe next year I'll find a chance to play through others + DLC, but there are soooo many games even on just the Switch that need playing coming out that it's going to be hard to get to it all without making cuts or sacrifices.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular

Just a curiosity question -

Why would a real life religious stance, i.e. being anti-church, affect what you do in a fictional universe?

I'm pretty anti-murder in real life, but that hasn't stopped me from murdering millions of baddies in video games in my lifetime.

I guess what I'm asking is, even if you're anti religion and anti-church in real life, why would a fake church in a fake game world matter? Just curious. Not judging or anything. I just find the psychology of personal tastes and opinions to be fascinating.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Just a curiosity question -

Why would a real life religious stance, i.e. being anti-church, affect what you do in a fictional universe?

I'm pretty anti-murder in real life, but that hasn't stopped me from murdering millions of baddies in video games in my lifetime.

I guess what I'm asking is, even if you're anti religion and anti-church in real life, why would a fake church in a fake game world matter? Just curious. Not judging or anything. I just find the psychology of personal tastes and opinions to be fascinating.

It's just a personal thing I have against religion and the control it exerts over so many people. When it gets shoehorned into videogames, it rubs me the wrong way. Like, a fake religion (worshiping mystical dragons or whatever) is ok, but anything correlating to the real-world religions irks me.

Silly for sure, but I just don't like reinforcing the idea that organized religion is a good thing.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The idea of any organized religion that is run by humans means it is humans using the idea of an all powerful being to control other humans.

One such reason that even in fiction(especially games) that churches and religious sects can frequently be used as antagonists.

Also why I am totally down to have Shamir on my team despite being a knight of seiros since she specifically does not actually follow the ways of the church. That's pretty interesting.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Churches are antagonists more often than not in fiction I feel.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    KoldanarKoldanar Registered User regular

Wait, seriously? Where's that from?

3DS friend code : 1375 - 7258 - 4504
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Koldanar wrote: »

I think it was during E3's Treehouse stream, where they're showing off the Monastery stuff. There're these optional side battles you can do during the weekend. Normally these take up activity points, but a very few do not take up any points. I assume you can do these over and over again if you really, really feel like it.

I'm not sure where I remember hearing these 'free' battles aren't there on Hard. May have been some Famitsu article.

Anyway, here's Dimitri introducing the Blue Lions.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Koldanar wrote: »

I think it was during E3's Treehouse stream, where they're showing off the Monastery stuff. There're these optional side battles you can do during the weekend. Normally these take up activity points, but a very few do not take up any points. I assume you can do these over and over again if you really, really feel like it.

I'm not sure where I remember hearing these 'free' battles aren't there on Hard. May have been some Famitsu article.

Anyway, here's Dimitri introducing the Blue Lions.

Yes, the free ones are Normal only, but I do believe the ones that cost Action Points (or at least, some of them) are on Hard. (It might also be that the free ones exist on Hard but are no longer free, I'm not sure)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Would be a little sad if the repeatable matches aren't in hard since if I am doing some grinding I would probably like to have levels that are scaled harder to actually offer a better challenge to my stronger characters.

• Options
    These giant beast battles look super cool.

https://imgur.com/a/zHLleHI

(scans from famitsu)

• Options
    edited July 2019

Yeah, I forget where it was said that the "free" battles weren't in Hard, but it's definitely something that's been mentioned.

For an overview of Sundays, what we've seen in the footage is that you can choose to do one of four things:
    • Explore
    • Seminar
    • Battle
    • Rest
    Exploring lets you roam around the monastery. Certain actions take points, and you start at an E-Rank as a teacher only having one of these points. (We see in other footage that for every rank gained as a teacher, you get an additional point, so that by the time your Teaching Skill is a D+ you have four points per Exploration.) You increase your Teacher Rank by doing things like Choir Practise or Dining (which take action points) or doing things around the monastery like returning lost items or unethically rummaging through your students' belongings (which do not). Ending your exploration progresses you to the next week, regardless of if you still have points you could spend.

Seminars let Byleth and up to five students gain experience in two skills (six, if Byleth is teaching it). The skills depend on the teacher (ie. Manuela teaches Swords and Faith, Hanneman Bows and Reason) and who attends depends on if they have one of the skills set as their Goals. For example, the Black Eagles in their default Goals, will have a Manuela Seminar attended by: Byleth (always), Linhardt (Faith), Dorothea (Swords), and Petra (Swords). Whereas a Hanneman Seminar will be attended by: Byleth (always), Hubert (Reason), Bernadetta (Bows), and Linhardt (Reason). (It seems to me that if you're planning on doing a Seminar, you should change your students' Goals for that week to maximise the people attending.) The experience gained seems to be [ (16 + 4 x (teacher's rank - student's rank)) floored to 20; x 1.5 if a Strength ]. After it's over you automatically move on to the next week, regardless of how many action points you have in Exploration.

Battle will let you choose to do an Auxiliary Battle for that month, or any Paralogue Battles you have available (as well as show you that month's Mission). On Normal mode there are additional "free" Auxiliary Battles which you can use to grind. On hard mode, they all take up your one "activity point". However, this activity point is entirely independent of the ones used in Exploring, and there's been no sign of if you can increase them. (They probably just exists to differentiate between the normal and grinding battles.) Paralogues seem to require only one of the characters they focus on to be your student, as we've seen "Rumoured Nuptials" (which involves Dorothea trying to dissuade Ingrid from a betrothal) available for the Black Eagles without Ingrid having been recruited. It's unknown if story progression is needed to unlock battles, but we do know that it can force them to expire and become unavailable. Based on Seminars automatically moving you on to the next week, I assume doing a battle that takes an action point will as well.

Resting is choosing to do nothing. It will restore your students' motivation (allowing you to Tutor more on Monday, although other things will also do this) and Byleth's Sword of the Creator will regenerate some uses for free. (I don't know if other weapons will also gain back durability for free by Resting, but it would give you more of a reason to use it.)

//

Website Engadget seems to have accidentally posted a review (and then quickly took it down). But new things to note: in the one playthrough they did, there was a major choice to make which the game said would have ramifications on the plot (so if you want to see all the story it's going to take more than three playthroughs, or splitting one save into two). And that the first thing they did after finishing the game was to start a New Game+ with a different house, which is nice in that apparently the game is good, but also in that there is a New Game+ option that hopefully speeds up further playthroughs. The reviewer was trying to play quickly, and said that their playtime was ~45hrs.

Oh, and that if you've played a Fire Emblem before you'll want to be playing on Hard difficulty.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    Oh, and that if you've played a Fire Emblem before you'll want to be playing on Hard difficulty.

Speaking as someone who's finished Radiant Dawn several times...

Nah.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    I'm hoping just gimping myself on number of characters used makes normal a difficulty I will enjoy.

Because while I would love a certain level of a challenge giving up the ability to do some grinding to make sure all my characters get everything I want them to would be sad I think. Especially since I'm doing just 1 play through I want to make sure I see as much of the game as possible.

Hmmm this is actually going to be a hard choice.

Are the skills needed for recruiting characters stuff that only goes up through classroom growths or is some of that combat related?

Also here's that review/preview that got posted and taken down.

Very positive stuff.

https://imgur.com/gallery/v27AaFD

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Are the skills needed for recruiting characters stuff that only goes up through classroom growths or is some of that combat related?

Kind of both? From what I can tell, all skills your class has/uses get a bit of experience as you do stuff in battle. However, skills you don't use in battle won't.

So let's say you want to level up your Flying skill, but you're playing as a dude. You can't become a Pegasus Knight, so you can't level up your Flying skill in combat until you've got enough... whatever it is you need... to reclass into Wyvern Rider and go into combat as that. But until you've got everything levelled enough to become a Wyvern Rider, the classroom will probably be the only spot you can level up Flying.

Fortunately, you can switch freely between all the classes you've unlocked, so once you have all the classes with the skills you want, I think you'll be able to train 'em all in combat.

• Options

Kind of both? From what I can tell, all skills your class has/uses get a bit of experience as you do stuff in battle. However, skills you don't use in battle won't.

So let's say you want to level up your Flying skill, but you're playing as a dude. You can't become a Pegasus Knight, so you can't level up your Flying skill in combat until you've got enough... whatever it is you need... to reclass into Wyvern Rider and go into combat as that. But until you've got everything levelled enough to become a Wyvern Rider, the classroom will probably be the only spot you can level up Flying.

Fortunately, you can switch freely between all the classes you've unlocked, so once you have all the classes with the skills you want, I think you'll be able to train 'em all in combat.

Ok perfect. Then yea I'll definitely have to go with normal for grinding out those skills. The most important thing to me is stealing a few characters as early as possible and if Hard will hinder that than normal it is.

Thanks for the info!

• Options

Ok perfect. Then yea I'll definitely have to go with normal for grinding out those skills. The most important thing to me is stealing a few characters as early as possible and if Hard will hinder that than normal it is.

Thanks for the info!

You're welcome.

But all my 'info' has been gleaned from Nintendo footage and Serenes translations of Famitsu articles, so... it's entirely possible my interpretation isn't exactly 100% correct. But it all does seem to work that way.

This discussion has been closed.