As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Are the skills needed for recruiting characters stuff that only goes up through classroom growths or is some of that combat related?

Kind of both? From what I can tell, all skills your class has/uses get a bit of experience as you do stuff in battle. However, skills you don't use in battle won't.

So let's say you want to level up your Flying skill, but you're playing as a dude. You can't become a Pegasus Knight, so you can't level up your Flying skill in combat until you've got enough... whatever it is you need... to reclass into Wyvern Rider and go into combat as that. But until you've got everything levelled enough to become a Wyvern Rider, the classroom will probably be the only spot you can level up Flying.

Fortunately, you can switch freely between all the classes you've unlocked, so once you have all the classes with the skills you want, I think you'll be able to train 'em all in combat.

Ok perfect. Then yea I'll definitely have to go with normal for grinding out those skills. The most important thing to me is stealing a few characters as early as possible and if Hard will hinder that than normal it is.

Thanks for the info!

You're welcome.

But all my 'info' has been gleaned from Nintendo footage and Serenes translations of Famitsu articles, so... it's entirely possible my interpretation isn't exactly 100% correct. But it all does seem to work that way.

Yea I've been skimming stuff but not reading too closely. What you are saying seems to make perfect sense but if anything isn't 100% perfect I'm certainly not going to be blaming you. Just nice to have somewhat of an idea of how I'll be playing the game.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Oh, and that if you've played a Fire Emblem before you'll want to be playing on Hard difficulty.

Speaking as someone who's finished Radiant Dawn several times...

Nah.

That's because Radiant Dawn's Hard mode is actually Lunatic mode in the Western versions.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Yeah, there was a localisation error (decision?) and Normal/Hard/Lunatic got changed to Easy/Normal/Hard for the west.

On the other hand, Shadows of Valentia had the weirdness where Hard isn't any more difficult than Normal (due to the fact that they increased the levels of the enemies, but didn't change the corresponding increase in experience gained, so your characters end up growing faster).

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    As long as they don't have that awful "on Hard and above, enemies can spawn and attack on the same turn!" thing, I will be happy with Hard. That is the most infuriating feature in Awakening (and Fates?)

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I don't like hard just because I don't like losing my characters. Perma-death is not for me. Perma-death leads to reloads and retries so I don't lose 'em. And if I'm gonna do that, might as well just play on casual.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Picked up Awakening to see if I would dig the gameplay in this (having dismissed it as Rock-Paper-Scissor deep) and everyone in my party except Fred got murdered on the first map. :rotate: Game doesn't mess around.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Picked up Awakening to see if I would dig the gameplay in this (having dismissed it as Rock-Paper-Scissor deep) and everyone in my party except Fred got murdered on the first map. :rotate: Game doesn't mess around.

How are you liking the gameplay so far?

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I don't like hard just because I don't like losing my characters. Perma-death is not for me. Perma-death leads to reloads and retries so I don't lose 'em. And if I'm gonna do that, might as well just play on casual.

Classic/Casual and Normal/Hard/Lunatic were separate options in the 3DS games. Have they been combined for Three Houses?

• Options

I like the tactical combat and how it's more than RPS with unit blockers and knowing when to team-up and when to split; I do wish the support attacks were a bit more reliable at the early going. This is on Hard/El Classico, and I've lost this one fight multiple times (lost meaning restarting after losing a character).

I might restart on Casual, because as Todd Howard once said "you just end up restarting the game anyway" (when you lose a character) and that's what I've been doing. I'm guessing fights are going to last a lot longer eventually, but I'm not really seeing then need for the Classic difficulty beyond personal bragging rights (since there is the option to turn it off)

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

I like the tactical combat and how it's more than RPS with unit blockers and knowing when to team-up and when to split; I do wish the support attacks were a bit more reliable at the early going. This is on Hard/El Classico, and I've lost this one fight multiple times (lost meaning restarting after losing a character).

I might restart on Casual, because as Todd Howard once said "you just end up restarting the game anyway" (when you lose a character) and that's what I've been doing. I'm guessing fights are going to last a lot longer eventually, but I'm not really seeing then need for the Classic difficulty beyond personal bragging rights (since there is the option to turn it off)

Classic is for people like me. I love Classic and the knowledge that if I fuck up and get a character killed, that character is dead and I have to keep playing with that loss. I get super invested in my fictional characters (always have, even now when I'm getting close to 40, games, books, movies, etc make me cry more than most real life stuff) and Classic's mode permadeath does a great job of punching me in the gut due to my decisions, not the game. In the 6 complete runs of Awakening I did, I didn't finish without at least one dead character. And I absolutely love that.

If you're just going to restart if you lose a character anyway, then you shouldn't play on Classic. Restarting like that is just seems to me like its defeating the purpose of Classic. Just put it on casual and have fun. Its why I love the fact that its a setting in Fire Emblem these days, give everyone the ability to play how they want.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Poor Vaike. . .gave his life to save the poor villagers; Donnel, a local lad, has agreed to take up arms in his memory!

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Oh, and that if you've played a Fire Emblem before you'll want to be playing on Hard difficulty.

But, my psychological compulsion to always pick a difficulty option if it's labeled "Normal"!

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »

Classic is for people like me. I love Classic and the knowledge that if I fuck up and get a character killed, that character is dead and I have to keep playing with that loss. I get super invested in my fictional characters (always have, even now when I'm getting close to 40, games, books, movies, etc make me cry more than most real life stuff) and Classic's mode permadeath does a great job of punching me in the gut due to my decisions, not the game. In the 6 complete runs of Awakening I did, I didn't finish without at least one dead character. And I absolutely love that.

If you're just going to restart if you lose a character anyway, then you shouldn't play on Classic. Restarting like that is just seems to me like its defeating the purpose of Classic. Just put it on casual and have fun. Its why I love the fact that its a setting in Fire Emblem these days, give everyone the ability to play how they want.

i play on classic and restart because if i didn't play on classic i eventually would say it's fine and just take the revive which i don't want. i want to have to do every level so nobody dies, since not being able to leave people vulnerable to do the strategy you want is the core of fire emblem to me. otherwise it's just advance wars. which is fine, it's just not what i want from this series.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I've played every Fire Emblem since 7, but I still play on Casual.

So I don't play recklessly and do try to keep all my units alive, but it also means that I don't restart when only the boss is left and I miss my 80% chance to hit followed by them getting their 3% chance to crit, you know?

• Options

Nice nice. And yea the options are just there for different playstyles(as you can see from the other options).

And classic is "classic" because that's just how the games used to be so splitting it off separate from the difficulty was a way to appease more different playstyles which is always a positive in my mind.

Keep us updated as you keep playing!

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Preview embargo has lifted, so there's stuff all over the place.

GameExplain posted the opening cinematic as well:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFQ-emkNtEs

Also, confirmation of a Fourth Tier as there's a mention in this Polygon article of a Bow Knight Class (requires C Lances, A Bows, A Riding).

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    https://fireemblem.nintendo.com/three-houses/

English site is updated too.

You can listen to the voices of a bunch of characters and see english bios.

Wow the class system sound super fun. Also I like that I can (potentially) use the teachers to make my Byleth learn skills that I don't acutally want to use in combat in order to level them up for the sake of recruitment. Like I don't want my Byleth to be a cavalier but if I need riding for a recruitment I can focus my teachings there. And then just level-up the actual skills I like in combat.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    So it has been confirmed that there are dogs and cats all over the monastery and you can't pet any of them.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    An Italian preview apparently sites the number of LGBTQ2 options: 3 male, 5 female.

• Options
    Preview embargo has lifted, so there's stuff all over the place.

GameExplain posted the opening cinematic as well:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFQ-emkNtEs

Also, confirmation of a Fourth Tier as there's a mention in this Polygon article of a Bow Knight Class (requires C Lances, A Bows, A Riding).

Surprisingly,
    Seiros stabbing the absolute fuck out of Nemesis
    did some work towards making me feel like perhaps the Church might not be evil. I am inherently distrustful of any organization that paints itself as pure and infallible, so such an open display of human imperfection is surprisingly reassuring.

On the other hand, boy, those are some red flags right there.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    This is not a position I will defend with any seriousness, but I have this vague feeling that the fluffier, "oh yeah we just invaded and conquered Hoshido but we just incapacitated and captured literally their entire army" GI Joe-ism of Fates was a knock-on effect of the shift to separating defeat on the battlefield from irrevocable death.

Like, before Awakening losing all your HP was, at best, a career-ending crippling injury, assuming you had a major speaking role, and much more likely you were just dead. Then Awakening introduces Casual Mode and now the good guys all have plot armor and can just say "whoops, I'm in peril, I guess I'll back out now". Give it a few years to set in and then Fates has a plot that assumes everyone plays by the same rules.

EDIT: To be abundantly clear, I'm not saying "Casual Mode ruined Fire Emblem's writing", just noting that in games writing the plot frequently follows the mechanics and making the mechanics fluffier could be reflected in the writing.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    I'm getting Takumi vibes from her.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Image of Master Classes:
    233j65m6wv931.png.cddf89d77615e012bc358f9ebfae63e7.png

Falcon Knight (Swords, Lances, Flying) [female only]
    Wyvern Lord (Axes, Lances, Flying)
    Mortal Savant (Swords, Reason) [can use magic]
    Great Knight (Lances, Axes, Armour)
    Bow Knight (Lances, Bows, Riding)
    Dark Knight (Lances, Reason, Riding) [can use magic]
    Holy Knight (Lances, Faith, Riding) [can use magic]
    War Master (Axes, Brawling) [male only]
    Gremory (Reason, Faith) [can use magic]

And another new class (outside the tier system):

Dancer (Swords, Authority) [can wield magic]

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    Hmmm.

Master classes..
    I don't like that so many of them are mounted. I like the mounted option being a special thing for certain characters instead of "whoops every is on a horse now" We'll see how that works out.

• Options
    An Italian preview apparently sites the number of LGBTQ2 options: 3 male, 5 female.

So women get less classes, but more queer options?

Wonder if that's a fair trade-off.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

So women get less classes, but more queer options?

Wonder if that's a fair trade-off.

It's not. Actually makes things a bit worse IMHO. Like it's more acceptable for women to be LGBTQ vs men. It would have been easier just to even things out across the board.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Oh wow. All the characters have bio pages in game with like ages and heights.

Good to see that most of the students are actually college aged instead of high school aged. That's pretty cool and a bit surprising honestly!

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Not trying to get spoilers (yes or no will suffice), but is there anyway to repair your weapons or is weapon durability a "resource"? I burned through my Silver Lance and it broke. I guess Fred can't do the heavy lifting anymore (he still seems capable with an Iron Lance though).

• Options
    Appears: 13

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Not trying to get spoilers (yes or no will suffice), but is there anyway to repair your weapons or is weapon durability a "resource"? I burned through my Silver Lance and it broke. I guess Fred can't do the heavy lifting anymore (he still seems capable with an Iron Lance though).

Mostly a resource. Weapons break, you collect or buy more. If you don't need the extra damage from your stronger weapon you can use a weaker weapon instead to save your stronger weapons.

• Options
    I was just thinking, since there are active attack abilities now do you think skills like Astra will become active attacks instead of an equipped % chance skill?

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    The sound byte samples of Annette may have just convinced me to go Lions.

(or at least cross-recruit)

Durinia on
    For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I generally play Classic, but prefer lower difficulty levels not so much because it's easier but because it gives me more freedom to use the characters I like rather than those that have the best growth rates.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

Mostly a resource. Weapons break, you collect or buy more. If you don't need the extra damage from your stronger weapon you can use a weaker weapon instead to save your stronger weapons.

There's a couple of notable exceptions, such as Chrom's Falchion, which will not break ever. Consequently there's seldom a reason NOT to be using that weapon on him.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    So from all the videos, I've also gotten a bead on the starting levels of the Golden Deer. (And a better idea of their Strengths (^^), Weaknesses (vv), and Hidden Talents (HT).)
    px85ezfi0mj9.jpg
    Claude -- ^^: Swords, Bows, Authority, Flying -- vv: Lances, Faith -- HT: Axes
    Lorenz -- ^^: Lances, Reason, Riding -- vv: Brawling -- HT: ???
    Raphael -- ^^: Axes, Brawling, Armour -- vv: Bows, Reason, Riding -- HT: ???
    Ignatz -- ^^: Swords, Bows, Authority -- vv: Flying -- HT: Reason
    Lysithea -- ^^: Reason, Faith, Authority -- vv: Swords, Lances, Axes, Armour -- HT: Swords
    Marianne -- ^^: Swords, Faith, Riding, Flying -- vv: Brawling, Armour -- HT: ???
    Hilda -- ^^: Lances, Axes -- vv: Faith, Authority -- HT: Armour
    Leonie -- ^^: Lances, Bows, Riding -- vv: None -- HT: ???

And from before, Black Eagles:
    lt6wj7o1mjhx.jpg
    Edelgard -- ^^: Swords, Axes, Authority, Armour -- vv: Bows, Faith -- HT: Reason
    Hubert -- ^^: Bows, Reason, Authority -- vv: Axes, Faith, Flying -- HT: Lances
    Ferdinand -- ^^: Swords, Lances, Axes, Riding -- vv: None -- HT: Armour
    Linhardt -- ^^: Reason, Faith -- vv: Axes, Brawling -- HT: None
    Caspar -- ^^: Axes, Brawling -- vv: Bows, Reason, Authority -- HT: ???
    Berndetta -- ^^: Lances, Bows -- vv: Swords, Axes, Brawling -- HT: Riding
    Dorothea -- ^^: Swords, Reason -- vv: Faith, Riding, Flying -- HT: Faith
    Petra -- ^^: Swords, Axes, Bows, Flying -- vv: Reason, Faith -- HT: ???

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    Poor Blue Lions. So ignored.

• Options
    It's pretty shocking that of all the previews out there now, everyone has gone Black Eagles or Golden Deer.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Less than two weeks to go, and the wait is getting unbearable. I've been following the game pretty closely (with the exception of the leak) and everything just sounds amazing; seems like IS really knocked it out of the park with this one.

Can't wait for the release weekend - I'm gonna go into full hermit mode and do pretty much nothing other than play Three Houses those couple of days.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    The... intro? Theme song? Opening credit sequence? Not sure what to call it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aJTC02-apk

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Poor Blue Lions. So ignored.

The Popplio of Three Houses.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
This discussion has been closed.