As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »
    Man, Leonie is kinda ridiculous as a Falcon Knight. She's got so much avoid that she can essentially safely draw out archers since they only have like a 15% chance of hitting her, and even if they do hit her, she has Aegis which has a pretty high trigger chance since she has 40 dex.

Falcon Knight and Wyvern Lord are both ridiculously powerful classes. That +10 avoid innate, flying, canto, and good stats and growths on both of them is silly. And then they can land if you really need terrain bonuses anyways. At least the developers weren't crazy enough to let you have a flying mage.
    Turn dancer into a flyer and become impossible to hit even without Alert Stance active the vast majority of the time. Got through the second half of the game twice without that unit taking any damage.

The only downside is missing Swordfaire as an innate so damage can be a little lacking on high armor units until Rapier+, Wo Dao+ or if you really want to ruin someone's day early-ish on just equip Goddess Ring+Cursed Ashiya Sword. Depending on how many units you draw out you might have to Physic them on your turn but you have access to it fairly early and any hit is very likely to crit with a high level Wyvern formation and Petra. Doesn't have the same accuracy as the other two options unfortunately.

butts
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    The Three Houses gift system kind of annoys me in how unbalanced it is.

There are a bunch of characters who only love 3 gift items, and you can only buy two of them, once per month.

These characters:
    Annette and Rhea
    ...only love 3 items, and you can only buy one of them! And other people also love that item, so unless you're using a guide and being careful you might give them all away to others.

So obviously it's much harder to raise support with these characters, especially for purposes of getting them to join your class.

But then there are others who love as many as 6 items, and one of them is a flower, which I have gotten up to 8 from one single seed planting.

I dunno I just wish they had put a little more care into the system. Some flowers are completely unloved by anyone, they could've added a few of those to people with only 3 loves.
    Get Mission Assistance from Annette and make her Byleth's adjutent. You get buttloads of support from that.

Also as silence said, choir practice, also dining hall and I believe she like cooking too. All good support sources.

Worst case, you can shower her with +1 support stuff (i.e. like flowers), you just don't get the bonus support from it.

Rhea is just a pain tho. I save all my goddess statues for her. Also try to learn what convo choices she likes (anything praising the church :P) for those support boosts too.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I know about all these things, I just still think they could've given people with only 3 loved items one more. Whether a flower or something else to round it out. Feels more reasonable.

I know there are owl feathers (you only get like 6 to 8 in the game though?), I know you can give any gift for a little bit of support, or do mission assistance. Still though. Weird decision the way they designed it.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Some people are just picky about what they like.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Some people are just picky about what they like.

But everyone knows that EVERYONE loves owl feathers. You would have to be some kind of monster to not love it when someone gives you one of those.

...Wait in this Fire Emblem world do you immediately jump someone's bones if they give you an entire owl?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    P10 wrote: »
    maddening seems actually hard. i hope it continues to be hard without veering into bullshit but i'm too early to tell

These games tend to be very breakable after the first few battles, although it will help in this one that (at least for now) you can't go off and infinitely fight XP DLC to outlevel anything. Or infinitely fight at all.
    i mean that was only true for awakening and non-conquest fates (which is part of why the difficulties in those games were so funky)? not being able to grind has historically been a FE staple.

i can't tell if maddening has reduced EXP or if I'm just not remembering what it is like without the statue buffs. maybe both. having level 1 characters finish off level 3 characters for like 10 and a level 8 character for like 30 is uh, surprising.

i am currently hoping that maddening will not devolve into let byleth and house leader handle everything with a handful of other characters struggling to stay relevant but uh, its hard to tell atm

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    And then there's Hilda who's literally too lazy to even accept gifts.

• Options
    maddening seems actually hard. i hope it continues to be hard without veering into bullshit but i'm too early to tell

These games tend to be very breakable after the first few battles, although it will help in this one that (at least for now) you can't go off and infinitely fight XP DLC to outlevel anything. Or infinitely fight at all.
    i mean that was only true for awakening and non-conquest fates (which is part of why the difficulties in those games were so funky)? not being able to grind has historically been a FE staple.

That's not quite true, you can grind in the majority of the games released in North America:

Fire Emblem - no, only way to grind is healing boss abuse
    The Sacred Stones - yes, several respawning dungeons, random encounters on the map, and arenas
    Path of Radiance - no, only way to grind is healing boss abuse
    Radiant Dawn - no, only way to grind is healing boss abuse
    Shadow Dragon (DS) - yes, arenas
    Awakening - yes, random encounters, repeatable DLC
    Fates - yes, easy in Birthright but all versions can use repeatable DLC
    Echoes - yes, some respawning enemies, shrines, and repeatable DLC
    Three Houses - yes/no, currently only in normal difficulty and below

• Options
    edited September 2019
    isn't the arena abuse in shadow dragon basically the same as healing boss abuse (i.e: very cheesy and limited by healing supplies/durability so not actually infinite)
    and yes you can literally pay2win buy grinding DLC maps in the recent games which was kind of my point as to why lunatic in those games was trash

P10 on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Yeah that's what I originally said, it will help maddening's difficulty in this game that at least for now there isn't an infinite XP DLC.

"Breakable after the first few battles" is in reference to things like Sacred Stones' respawning tower opening up at that point, as well as unlocking features like the convoy in PoR, and also simply just having more characters available to build in various ways. Fire Emblems get easier as you go and earn more breathing room. If you know what you're doing in a class system you can push toward certain OP classes, or in games without those choices, focusing on leveling characters you know are typically amazing (Nepheneeeee).

Most of them, in the hardest difficulties? I remember there are often guides with extremely specific directions for what space to stand on with which character for the first 3-6 battles. Like "if you don't do this, you will not have enough XP to keep this character relevant, and you need them at this level for this specific battle down the line," etc. But that's generally only the first few battles before they open up and get easier.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Radiant Dawn had an extremely tough opening set of chapters until the PoR crew showed up. Sothe and company barely holding it together then Ike and Nephenne show up and just wreck the place.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Given the degree to which experience falls off in Maddening, and how useless Auxiliary battles are for leveling in that difficulty, it seems like trying to focus on a smaller number of units would be fairly detrimental—they won't be able to get strong enough to outclass your enemies completely

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Radiant Dawn also let you use the wolf queen to turn characters to stone for XP grinding, if only in a couple of levels. It's basically the only way to make Fiona usable (there is no way to make Meg usable).

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Radiant Dawn had an extremely tough opening set of chapters until the PoR crew showed up. Sothe and company barely holding it together then Ike and Nephenne show up and just wreck the place.

Yeah... the stats/growths on those people from the first chapters are so bad.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I was able to play Three Houses with that patch! It's been a ton of fun.

I'm on the Eagle and Lion sports-day friendly competition jamboree chapter and I feel like I've barely dipped my toe in, despite almost 30 hours and a bunch of character at level 20 with B rank abilities.

How do I reach these kids?

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    I was able to play Three Houses with that patch! It's been a ton of fun.

I'm on the Eagle and Lion sports-day friendly competition jamboree chapter and I feel like I've barely dipped my toe in, despite almost 30 hours and a bunch of character at level 20 with B rank abilities.

How do I reach these kids?

Have lunch with them.

• Options
    The "hey you can date your students" thing is super squick. But the black haired, teal jacketed merc lady is pretty cool and is my new, semi-stoic crush.

This game handles player agency in your backstory in a really neat way. I get to choose (or appear to choose) what I remember and know of my story, which I really like.

I haven't ever played hide and seek with rando people from the internet, which I fear has been an oversight on my part.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I know about all these things, I just still think they could've given people with only 3 loved items one more. Whether a flower or something else to round it out. Feels more reasonable.

I know there are owl feathers (you only get like 6 to 8 in the game though?), I know you can give any gift for a little bit of support, or do mission assistance. Still though. Weird decision the way they designed it.

I never paid attention to the loved items because you have so many of the normally liked items available that it doesn't matter at all.

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    The "hey you can date your students" thing is super squick. But the black haired, teal jacketed merc lady is pretty cool and is my new, semi-stoic crush.

This game handles player agency in your backstory in a really neat way. I get to choose (or appear to choose) what I remember and know of my story, which I really like.

I haven't ever played hide and seek with rando people from the internet, which I fear has been an oversight on my part.

I think that's Shamir. I wanted to fit her into my party so badly but since she is a bow user and I'm doing Edelgard first I couldn't replace Bernie. Good chance that she will be my bow user to replace Ashe or Ignatz on their respective runs unless I go recruit Bernie.

• Options
    I made her a cavalier so she could ride around super great and shoot when needed. She's 100% one of my sledgehammers.

• Options
    Cirira wrote: »

I think that's Shamir. I wanted to fit her into my party so badly but since she is a bow user and I'm doing Edelgard first I couldn't replace Bernie. Good chance that she will be my bow user to replace Ashe or Ignatz on their respective runs unless I go recruit Bernie.

Aim for 12 units in your regular rotation if you can; Shamir's a great addition to any team, I think

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I don't think you realistically could level more than 12 up sufficiently.

• Options
    12 is the magic number, for sure. Definitely don't do more than 12. But, you know. 12's good!

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Cross posting from the Heroes thread - IS has finally given some of the Western Isles locations (from Binding Blade) official English localized names

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

Aim for 12 units in your regular rotation if you can; Shamir's a great addition to any team, I think

I just passed the point of no return on Edelgard's path so I have a pretty mixed up team setup for me already.

I think I normally have Edelgard, Hubert, Bernie, Petra, Felix, Linhart(I think, he's the sleepy priest), Dorothea, Sylvain, Casper(ar?) as my main 9 folks with Byletha as the 10th. My adjutants are typically Marianne, Manuella, and Annette or Ingrid. I sub in Ingrid or Annette at times if I need flying or more magic DPS.

I think that covers the spread of units for the most part. The only weird part is I have Bernie as a Paladin because I wanted the mobility and she couldn't pass the Sniper test. Otherwise Edelgard is the Fortress Knight, Hubert is a Warlock, Petra is an Assassin, Felix a Swordmaster, Linhart a Monk, Dorothea is a Gremory(I think, the healer/mage hybrid), Sylvain is a Paladin or Great Knight and Casper is a War Master in training (a brawler currently I think).

Most of my characters are just hitting level 30 to try for the Master Classes. I'm really only missing a lying unit and I'm not sure who to turn into a Wyvern or a Pegasus since I feel like Petra is one of the few solid choices there and I like her as an assassin a bit more.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

Archers are so good in this that I had no hesitation putting Shamir and Bernadetta in my party both as bow knights.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Close Counter and Bowrange +2 on top of move 8 as a mounted unit is ridiculous. It feels unfair to most other classes. Warmaster Caspar is wandering around on foot trying to get right next to enemies with his axe and Bernadetta just snipes them from anywhere on the map.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Close Counter and Bowrange +2 on top of move 8 as a mounted unit is ridiculous. It feels unfair to most other classes. Warmaster Caspar is wandering around on foot trying to get right next to enemies with his axe and Bernadetta just snipes them from anywhere on the map.

And Canto. You forgot to mention Canto.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Kupi wrote: »

And Canto. You forgot to mention Canto.

And Bernadetta's Pass.

Next time through the game I should just give her the one single Mv+1 stat booster you get and make it even more ridiculous. I think I gave it to flyer Petra though.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Petra becomes death incarnate with a bow
    I'm not even kidding.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Really want to do a Wrong Class playthrough of the game or two. Heavy armor Bernadetta, caster Raphael.

• Options
    I'm not even kidding.

FTFY

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I'm not even kidding.

FTFY

40 str, 50 dex and 60 spd base growths. She can use any weapon she wants and she will double with it for massive damage. The scary thing is that Leonie is even stronger (trading magic for another 5 dex growth)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Petra is my assassin

• Options
    Doing Edelgard's route first and I need a flyer. Who's a good choice for Pegasus/Wyvern rider?
    The only one with a promote option for it so far is Flayn for Pegasus, but her strength doesn't seem high enough to be much good in the role.
    Caspar is having fun running around and punching giant birds to death with his bare hands, and a dodge that seems way more effective than the numbers on screen would suggest. 75% chance to get hit, he dodges four times in a row.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Doing Edelgard's route first and I need a flyer. Who's a good choice for Pegasus/Wyvern rider?
    The only one with a promote option for it so far is Flayn for Pegasus, but her strength doesn't seem high enough to be much good in the role.
    Caspar is having fun running around and punching giant birds to death with his bare hands, and a dodge that seems way more effective than the numbers on screen would suggest. 75% chance to get hit, he dodges four times in a row.

Petra has strengths in Axes and Flying, so she makes a good Wyvern rider. Ingrid makes a decent Pegasus Knight if you're picking up people from other Houses.

• Options
    Petra's busy being my unhittable assassin thief, and Ingrid just doesn't seem to want to join until I can neglect my students to make Byleth better at flying? I've got her at B support, but she doesn't care.

I'm not keen on them wanting me to have certain skills that are totally against what I'm trying to be in order to recruit people, like I have to be a jack of all trades master of none to get people.

• Options

hey leave the dawn brigade alone only half of them were complete trash the other half were like myrmidon who traded some SPD for STR (awesome) fighter who traded some STR for SPD (awesome), protagonist lady who capped MAG and LCK and had a unique weapon with 3x effectiveness against everything and one shot everything

• Options
    edited September 2019
    klemming wrote: »

Everyone is a good candidate for pegasus/wyvern rider. They are overpowered classes with more benefits than drawbacks.

Starting at maybe month 10 or 11 I realized that almost all the master classes use riding or flying, so I started literally everyone on half riding/flying, half something else (generally another thing required for the master class). It is paying off big time now. I have 1 pegasus rider and 3 or 4 wyvern riders in my main team and it's great.

In my case I got Petra riding the pegasus, and Ashe, Byleth, and Ferdinand riding wyverns, with Edelgard ready to be a wyvern rider also if she ever masters her current class.

UncleSporky on
  • Options

hey leave the dawn brigade alone only half of them were complete trash the other half were like myrmidon who traded some SPD for STR (awesome) fighter who traded some STR for SPD (awesome), protagonist lady who capped MAG and LCK and had a unique weapon with 3x effectiveness against everything and one shot everything

And Meg, who traded everything for nothing.
    (I still can't tell if she was an intentional reference to Family Guy or not. I'd think not, but it seems too perfect to be chance)

This discussion has been closed.