As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] New graphics cards are outrageously expensive. News at 11.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    All since the 3rd generation AFAIK.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I don't remember if I linked this previously but screw it. This is a very good build for the price. The vidcard alone is ~$200 on the low end.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Pavilion-Power-580-023w-Gaming-Tower-Intel-Core-i5-7400-NVIDIA-GTX-1060-3GB-Graphics-8-GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-Windows-10/803136621

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Platter drives have been the single biggest bottleneck to PC performance since the mid 2000's.

Now we've got M.2 raid arrays that blow the doors off SSD arrays, from what I've heard.

Once you pay for your Intel m2 raid DLC.

This maximum fiddlefuck from Intel has all but secured my next CPU/mobo upgrade for AMD.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I bought a Coolmaster 212 Evo for my R3 1200 and I didn't think to check the dimensions of my case (a Thermaltake V3 Black Edition). According to the internet it fits with literally 1mm of clearance between it and the side panel.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    I'm looking into making an Intel/Nvidia computer but I don't want to have to go through delidding, are the Intel CPUs you have to delid the most recent ones or the previous ones?

You don't have to delid any generation of Intel CPU if you don't plan to overclock heavily. Light overclocks, even on air, can be done without a delid.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    If my next computer is going to be my first vr machine, is there a clear choice between Amd and Intel? Same question with the gpu. I'm really limited on cash and the vr gear itself would eat a lot of the budget, so I want to get every last edge I can per dollar.

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Linus just put out a vid saying that on the low end an RX580 8GB is a good place to start since it handles 1440P well for the price. From there it's 1070 or the TI version, a Vega 56, or a 1080Ti.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I'm still rocking a 9 year old monitor that seems to be dying so looking at a new one. Are curved monitors actually a benefit or just a gimmick? I ask because this popped up on amazon

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      I'm still rocking a 9 year old monitor that seems to be dying so looking at a new one. Are curved monitors actually a benefit or just a gimmick? I ask because this popped up on amazon

At a certain size they're pretty cool.

Ultrawide curved monitors are awesome.

• Options
      GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
      Curved monitors are not a gimmick, at least not the large ones. I have a 34" ultra wide curved display and I love it...but at 27"? Probably more of a gimmick. That display is not wide enough, and the aspect ratio makes no sense to need a curve.

Sagroth wrote: »
      Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
      Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    • Options
      edited November 2017
      I put the 212 Evo on my 1200 this morning and ran Prime 95 small FFTs and capped out at 56C after an hour of testing at the stock clock.

Now it's time to overclock!

jgeis on
    • Options
      Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
      edited November 2017
      For TVs and monitors both there was certainly a curved phase that came and went, in much the same way as there was for 3D/120hz. I mean, you can still find displays with these features, but they aren't pretending anymore like it is the next big thing that everyone doesn't know they need. Right at the moment that seems to be 4K/HDR. Which, for HDR at least, is actually somewhat reasonable to be hyping.

IMHO curved is... nice? But it trades a bit of nice for a lot of money. I feel like that money could be better spent on more hz or pixels or colors or viewing angle or HDR or ...

Monkey Ball Warrior on
      "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    • Options
      I'm using the Ryzen Master OC tool and Prime95 to OC and so far so good, I think. I've set the voltage at 1.3v to start since that seemed like a solid starting point, then started testing temps with Prime95 at 3.6Ghz and have been stepping up in 100Mhz intervals. I'm at 3.8Ghz now, 10 minutes into Prime95's small FFTs test and my temps are at 64°C.

• Options
      edited November 2017
      For TVs and monitors both there was certainly a curved phase that came and went, in much the same way as there was for 3D/120hz. I mean, you can still find displays with these features, but they aren't pretending anymore like it is the next big thing that everyone doesn't know they need. Right at the moment that seems to be 4K/HDR. Which, for HDR at least, is actually somewhat reasonable to be hyping.

IMHO curved is... nice? But it trades a bit of nice for a lot of money. I feel like that money could be better spent on more hz or pixels or colors or viewing angle or HDR or ...

Curved still exists on the high-end ultrawides where it makes sense to exist, because it does something with immersion and provides a hugely noticeable experience boost.

I highly doubt it's ever going to become a mainstream feature for a *lot* of reasons, but like mechanical keyboards there will probably always be the enthusiast market for such things.

jungleroomx on
    • Options
      edited November 2017
      3.9Mhz was totally fine. Temps were good, I ran 3DMark Time Spy and Prime95 with no issue.

Went to 4.0Ghz and it crashed about 5 seconds into Prime95.

Now to adjust the voltage up a bit and try it again.

Edit: Went up to 1.35v (from 1.30) and I got further into Prime95 than before but still crashed. I'll keep adjusting up but I don't want to get tooooooo close to AMD's recommended 1.45v absolute maximum.

Edit 2: Testing now at 4.0Ghz and 1.4v. I'm further into Prime95 than the last 3 attempts. Max temps up to 76°C so far, which doesn't seem too bad for that voltage/OC on a 1200 and air cooling.

Edit 3: Literally hit save on that last post and it crashed.

jgeis on
    • Options
      3.95Ghz looks to be the top for my 1200. 20 minutes into Prime95 and no crashes, good temps. I even dialed back the voltage a bit and it's working fine.

I guess it really doesn't want me to hit that 4.0 threshold. Sad!

• Options
      HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
      jgeis wrote: »
      3.95Ghz looks to be the top for my 1200. 20 minutes into Prime95 and no crashes, good temps. I even dialed back the voltage a bit and it's working fine.

According to some reviews and tests I've seen on the internet, there apparently isn't much difference between 3.8ghz and 4ghz in gaming. At least not enough to make it worth upping the voltage.

P2n5r3l.jpg
      Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
    • Options
      Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
      Heatwave wrote: »
      jgeis wrote: »

According to some reviews and tests I've seen on the internet, there apparently isn't much difference between 3.8ghz and 4ghz in gaming. At least not enough to make it worth upping the voltage.

For the most part, everything is limited on the GPU.

• Options
      Yeah, I saw a big jump in benchmarks between 3.4 and 3.8 and a much smaller jump (comparatively) between 3.8 and 3.95, but since I could dial the voltage way back compared to trying for 4.0 (I went all the way to the maximum safe limit of 1.45v in testing for stability) I just left it at 3.95GHz. I'm not at my PC but I'm pretty sure I was able to dial it all the way back down to 1.35v and it was stable through Prime95 and 3DMark.

• Options
      Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
      Karl wrote: »
      I may upgrade to a SSD at a later date but it'll do for now

Doing so is going to change your whole perspective. I'm SSD-only, no platters. Everything is so fucking fast and responsive. My Windows 8.1 computer boots to desktop from cold in 8 seconds, I double click on a desktop icon and by the time I've moved the mouse cursor back to the middle of the screen the program has loaded...

• Options
      KarlKarl Registered User regular
      Thanks guys for the good advice.

I'll need to decide what is going on the SSD

So far I've got
      1. Windows
      2. Steam
      3. The main steam games I'm playing
      4. Chrome?
      5. Itunes (but have the secondary platter drive for all the media)?

250GB isn't a massive amount of space so I need to be a little careful with what I instal their

• Options
      Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
      All I have is one 256 GB Samsung 830 SSD (I built my computer in 2012, there was no EVO/Pro back then) and it's a bit full. Put all the programs you're gonna be using regularly on the SSD, and put everything else on the platter drive. I've got a few bigger games on mine and they chew the space up real quick. Then again I also have a bunch of DSLR photos and FLAC audio files on there as well...

• Options
      Ok that makes sense.

I use Itunes for all my podcasts so I'll stick the actual program on my SSD and keep the media library on my platter drive

• Options
      davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
      First package arrived for my upgrade.

46SUksXh.jpg

Um, oops, Amazon warehouse labeled a Ryzen 3 as a Ryzen 7. Their first mistake was leaving the label on there for me to clearly see! Heh...exchange requested, new one will come Wednesday, which is when the motherboard gets here anyways so no skin off my back really. Unless it happens again!

• Options
      IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
      Too bad it wasn't the other way around.

steam_sig.png
      Nintendo ID: Incindium
      PSN: IncindiumX
    • Options
      MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
      friend wrote:
      Hey, I got a HP desktop during Black Friday. Can you help me set it up? Maybe this means my HP printer will cooperate a bit more, now.

Oh, you sweet Summer child...

• Options
      emp123emp123 Registered User regular
      I've been having an odd problem I'm not entirely sure how to diagnose and unfortunately I wont be able to look into it again until mid-late December...

The htpc I set up seems to have a memory leak; I've basically only used it to stream HBO Go, but RAM usage slowly creeps up until the RAM is full despite no program using that much RAM. Chrome will hit about 800MBs when I'm streaming, but after I close it it idles at around 80.

When I look at the processes tab, Chrome is using the most RAM, but the totality of program usage will be ~2.5GBs while the system is reporting 6-8GBs used.

Is it possible to have Windows purge the ram?

Running Windows 10, basic specs are some i3 (6100?), 8GBs of RAM, Samsung 256 SSD, and a GTX 570.

• Options
      wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
      emp123 wrote: »
      I've been having an odd problem I'm not entirely sure how to diagnose and unfortunately I wont be able to look into it again until mid-late December...

The htpc I set up seems to have a memory leak; I've basically only used it to stream HBO Go, but RAM usage slowly creeps up until the RAM is full despite no program using that much RAM. Chrome will hit about 800MBs when I'm streaming, but after I close it it idles at around 80.

When I look at the processes tab, Chrome is using the most RAM, but the totality of program usage will be ~2.5GBs while the system is reporting 6-8GBs used.

Running Windows 10, basic specs are some i3 (6100?), 8GBs of RAM, Samsung 256 SSD, and a GTX 570.

That just sounds like chrome to me. It eats system resources when streaming. It does have it's own process manager, which you can get to by right clicking the title bar of a chrome window.

Maybe try another browser as well.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    • Options
      I had a hard lock on my current pc. Tried to reboot and it went into a boot loop then the hardware alarm kicked in.

New pc can't come soon enough. My pc is on its last legs

• Options
      wunderbar wrote: »

That just sounds like chrome to me. It eats system resources when streaming. It does have it's own process manager, which you can get to by right clicking the title bar of a chrome window.

The weird thing is the RAM usage only decreases when I restart the computer, closing Chrome (or ending its process) doesnt free up the memory.

Maybe the computer is having trouble waking from sleep. I dont have a problem with my personal desktop though and I put that thing to sleep just about every night.

• Options
      ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
      Your daily pimping that Firefox 57 is actually real dope, just saaaayin....

• Options

The weird thing is the RAM usage only decreases when I restart the computer, closing Chrome (or ending its process) doesnt free up the memory.

Maybe the computer is having trouble waking from sleep. I dont have a problem with my personal desktop though and I put that thing to sleep just about every night.

Don't get too hung up on actual ram usage in Windows. ram is there to be used, unused ram is wasted ram, and if Windows needs the ram for something else it'll free it up.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    • Options

Don't get too hung up on actual ram usage in Windows. ram is there to be used, unused ram is wasted ram, and if Windows needs the ram for something else it'll free it up.

It doesnt seem to be though, video will start to stutter unless I restart. Closing Chrome and reopening it doesnt solve the problem.

I'm not sure what could have caused the problem, I updated Windows 10, uninstalled World of Warcraft and installed Destiny 2. Thats the summation of changes between July and November...

• Options

It doesnt seem to be though, video will start to stutter unless I restart. Closing Chrome and reopening it doesnt solve the problem.

I'm not sure what could have caused the problem, I updated Windows 10, uninstalled World of Warcraft and installed Destiny 2. Thats the summation of changes between July and November...

Chrome would have been updated 3-4 times between then and now. could just be a bad update? Again, try a different browser and see if that happens, or just re-install chrome.

• Options
      Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular

Might also double check that prefetch/superfetch are disabled. Windows usually does this automatically when it detects an SSD, but who knows. Prefetch/Superfetch will eat up memory though as they store the most recently used items. The RAM should still get purged whenever more is needed, but it still takes time to purge and refill.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
    • Options
      LD50LD50 Registered User regular
      Jebus314 wrote: »

Might also double check that prefetch/superfetch are disabled. Windows usually does this automatically when it detects an SSD, but who knows. Prefetch/Superfetch will eat up memory though as they store the most recently used items. The RAM should still get purged whenever more is needed, but it still takes time to purge and refill.

Do not do this. This is untrue and a leftover of vista's old broken superfetch implementation. Ram that is used by superfetch does not show up as utilized ram anyhow, so that is not the problem here.

• Options
      SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
      Mugsley wrote: »
      friend wrote:
      Hey, I got a HP desktop during Black Friday. Can you help me set it up? Maybe this means my HP printer will cooperate a bit more, now.

Oh, you sweet Summer child...

It's 20-fucking-17. Mankind has split the atom, the very building block of the entire universe. We power our civilization by harnessing the sunlight, the wind, and the water that we take by force from mother nature herself, or from the concentrated dying gasps of the most poisonous rocks our planet can produce. We peer out into the universe with devices so wondrous they allow us to take snapshots of pieces of the universe that were forming when we were nothing more than slime. We conquered the elements to brave the most hostile environments, from the highest peaks of the most ravaging mountains to the darkest abyss of the ocean. We have built an interconnected system allowing human beings to communicate with one another practically anywhere on the planet, regardless of what language they speak.

We put a man on the moon fifty years ago using technology that today wouldn't even cut it in a wristwatch.

And yet, after all this time, after everything we have achieved, when all is said and done... printers are still fucking dicks.

• Options
      ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
      edited November 2017
      Printers exist in a realm of pure, distilled equality that we could only perceive in the theoretical -- it doesn't matter if you have a $50 Best Buy clearance special or a 5-digit enterprise monstrosity, they are all equally and consistently total fuckstains.

Zxerol on
    • Options
      HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
      So rumor has it the 9 series of intel CPUs are coming out 2018, with the i7 being 8c/16t, i5 at 6c/12t, and i3 at 4c/8t.

https://overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/intel_s_9th_generation_i7_9700k_is_rumoured_to_have_8_cores_and_16_threads/1

P2n5r3l.jpg
      Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
    • Options
      Perhaps I could interest the fine folks here in the PA sysadmin thread printer configuration tool?
      9f49fev8b795.jpg

This discussion has been closed.