As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Top Grand Gear Tour Thread: Diddly Squat Farm now open for Season 2

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Catching up but watched Mongolia, really did feel like they're all alcoholics and were trying to make due in order to get more of their vices. Kind of impressive and sad at the same time. At least in the North Pole they did have liquor.

I mean May definitely has a glass of wine a day.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    British people in general tend to have a rather weird relationship with alcohol.

(Speaking as a British person, and making a vastly sweeping generalisation, but still. I've always felt our cultural relationship with the stuff is deeply strange.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    British people in general tend to have a rather weird relationship with alcohol.

(Speaking as a British person, and making a vastly sweeping generalisation, but still. I've always felt our cultural relationship with the stuff is deeply strange.)

Well you do drink it warm

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    My experience with Brits and drinking if you all seem to drink a lot more often, but you drink a lot less when you do?

Like, Americans don't seem to drink through the week at all, but cut loose Friday and Saturday.

That's just my observation.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Again, speaking generally, that observation is fairly accurate, I think.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I will say, with Abby appearing in a few non-track segments this past season, I'm hopeful that maybe she'll show up every now and then next season.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular

Fascinating. They are shooting 250 hours of footage for 1 hour that is the final episode.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I like how every room has several bottles of booze in it.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

Fascinating. They are shooting 250 hours of footage for 1 hour that is the final episode.

This is cool because I've always been interested to know how they produce the show. I could watch several 1-hour episodes of just behind-the-scenes of Top Gear and The Grand Tour.

Specifically how they dodge around how much of the show is scripted, how much of the show is real, etc. I think they're afraid they'd ruin the magic of the show if they revealed too much, but, c'mon, many of us still watch pro wrestling and magic tricks. This is no different.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Thawmus wrote: »

This is cool because I've always been interested to know how they produce the show. I could watch several 1-hour episodes of just behind-the-scenes of Top Gear and The Grand Tour.

Yeah, I thought that too as I watched that clip. These guys (both in front of and behind the camera) really have had one of the greatest jobs for the past 17 years. That montage at the end of the last episode was pure magic.

EDIT: Speaking of that last episode. That talk of Clarkson and Mays dads and their new Ford Cortinas gave me flashbacks to the early 80s. I grew up in East Germany and I remember my dad buying a new car in 1983. One of these:

wjvifvav0ir0.jpg

Not as fancy as a Ford Cortina, but the Ford buyers didn't have to wait 18 years for their cars - which we did. I do distinctly remember that we drove around in that car for a bit that evening - I was 5 at the time.

What I am trying to say, I can relate to Jeremy and James.

Also, fun fact about that car. My dad sold it a few weeks before the wall 1989 fell - for more money than he bought it!

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    part 2
    https://youtu.be/Y4Dx3uKQNSs

it's great how thoroughly GT the show is at every level. I'm sure there are three janitors that go around arguing which floor buffer can get round the office the fastest while not actually cleaning much other than making sure the half drunk Gin and wine don't go to waste.

DanHibiki on
  • Options

Yeah, I thought that too as I watched that clip. These guys (both in front of and behind the camera) really have had one of the greatest jobs for the past 17 years. That montage at the end of the last episode was pure magic.

EDIT: Speaking of that last episode. That talk of Clarkson and Mays dads and their new Ford Cortinas gave me flashbacks to the early 80s. I grew up in East Germany and I remember my dad buying a new car in 1983. One of these:

wjvifvav0ir0.jpg

Not as fancy as a Ford Cortina, but the Ford buyers didn't have to wait 18 years for their cars - which we did. I do distinctly remember that we drove around in that car for a bit that evening - I was 5 at the time.

What I am trying to say, I can relate to Jeremy and James.

Also, fun fact about that car. My dad sold it a few weeks before the wall 1989 fell - for more money than he bought it!

Yeah, I seem to recall Trabants becoming quite collectible in good condition, at least after the wall came down and a few started creeping into the West.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Great ending to the show and the current format, the kind of ending that isn't so much sad but just feeling happy about seeing something that was just "good" put into our lives for so many years, like a long lived dog who passed happily in his sleep after going 17 years. Really loved the Ford sedan history and eulogy, such a shame the Cortina wasn't the Mini in terms of notoriety and worldwide impact, it just looks so much better.

What is incredibly interesting about the whole thing was, the first Top Gear episode I ever watched was when I was in Europe in Summer 2006, it was the Kia towing the caravan holiday episode, but the opening segment was Clarkson talking about hot sedans and the Ford Mondeo being the one he loved (and how it was even more rare than BMW3 and DB9 in terms of UK sales at the time). And because of how the BBC aired things then in different countries, I watched that same episode like 4 or 5 times that week and just became hooked on the show, back when you had to do real legwork to get the show online and youtube wasn't even a real thing yet, oh those were the days...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xo--JX1X_8

Just a very interesting personal closing of this broadcast circle, feels very zen to me.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

In Taiwan, people drank a lot more during the forty-year capitalist police state dictatorship.

Coincidence? Maybe.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
  • Options
    Top Gear is back, and has a genuinely useful (sort of) tip on how to change a wheel when you don't have a jack. See, it's educational!

This is pretty promising so far, although for those of you not in the UK, I'm wondering how you'll get on with McGuiness and Flintoff's accents! This definitely seems like the strongest line-up since Clarkson, Hammond and May, though.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

Specifically how they dodge around how much of the show is scripted, how much of the show is real, etc. I think they're afraid they'd ruin the magic of the show if they revealed too much, but, c'mon, many of us still watch pro wrestling and magic tricks. This is no different.

I think when you watch the three of them for long enough you can pick up on when they're laughing because the thing they wrote themselves to say in the script requires a laugh (not that they aren't genuinely laughing, because their scripts will still be hilarious) and when one of them says something off the cuff that genuinely surprises and amuses them. Clarkson in particular has this thing where one of the others will say something and it's always clear when it wasn't scripted because he just stares for a heartbeat then loses it.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Top Gear is back, and has a genuinely useful (sort of) tip on how to change a wheel when you don't have a jack. See, it's educational!

This is pretty promising so far, although for those of you not in the UK, I'm wondering how you'll get on with McGuiness and Flintoff's accents! This definitely seems like the strongest line-up since Clarkson, Hammond and May, though.

They all look too much like they could be on next season's Bachelorette for my liking.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

They all look too much like they could be on next season's Bachelorette for my liking.

How can you expect to have a proper British automotive show without at least one person who might really be related to orangutans?

• Options
    Watching the new top Gear, is there an English dub?

• Options
    Is it just me or does the whole team dynamic this season boil down to beating the shit out of Chris Harris?

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Only 2 months between "seasons"? I assume they were likely filming around the same time?

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Top Gear UK is officially good again

• Options
    Catching up having missed the last few eps.

Never thought I'd see a Subaru BRAT on this show! Pretty awesome to see that.

• Options
  • Options
    I finally realized DriveTribe is something the three created, for the longest time I thought it was just a site that lucked into having an in with them, since theview count when they're in a video compared to when they aren't is kind of like Grand Tour vs. Top Gear a zing.

Plus Jeremy is spot on in this video despite his freakish eyebrows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdalHDSQRDk

• Options
    that's a nice shirt

• Options
    I'm waiting for him to do a "old man yells at cloud" video and then somehow be incredibly entertaining in it.

• Options
    Strikor wrote: »
    I'm waiting for him to do a "old man yells at cloud" video and then somehow be incredibly entertaining in it.

yes I too can't wait till the next season of Grand Tour

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Well, just finished binging the most recent series of Top Gear. BBC North taking a crack at it seems to have brought some improvement.
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Plus Jeremy is spot on in this video despite his freakish eyebrows

Those are some proper British old-man eyebrows.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Only 2 episodes this time around so ration them

• Options

Only 2 episodes this time around so ration them

What? Why?

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Cause everyone wanted hour long specials and no tent episodes. Turns out cutting the tent episodes doesn't mean we get more hour long specials.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Surely we can demand at least ten week-long excursions through third world countries with questionable cars per year

• Options
    I don't see anything on line confirming the number of episodes.

• Options
    I wasn't expecting two episodes, more like 6 episodes, probably two two-parters or something. And while I am now watching DriveTribe, some of their stuff is basically paid shilling, like Hammond with his Ford Ranger.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    2 episodes at an hour 45 each, so 4 regular episodes. And some solo projects popping up. I’ll take it. I’ve also been buying years of their top gear as they go on sale. Honestly, while I always want more I’m not dissatisfied.

zepherin on
  • Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    2 episodes at an hour 45 each, so 4 regular episodes. And some solo projects popping up. I’ll take it. I’ve also been buying years of their top gear as they go on sale. Honestly, while I always want more I’m not dissatisfied.

I suppose...

Looking forward to James May organizing his collection of different length wires or what ever mundane thing he somehow makes rivetingly entertaining.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    zepherin wrote: »

I suppose...

Looking forward to James May organizing his collection of different length wires or what ever mundane thing he somehow makes rivetingly entertaining.
    I love the grand tour viral video challenge
    where James May unboxing a car won by a landslide.

zepherin on