Options

[Movies] that may not include Star Wars

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I found La La Land getting nominated for everything obnoxious in a way that doesn't occur to me regarding Guillermo del Toros fishman fucking film

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    The Shape of Water is over-nominated. I guess the references to film history gave it an edge? It was a bit La La Landish.

.... what?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The fact that it was beautiful and delightful is what gave it an edge

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Also, fishbutt

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Also, fishbutt

Beautiful and delightful

• Options
    The Shape of Water is over-nominated. I guess the references to film history gave it an edge? It was a bit La La Landish.

.... what?

Old Hollywood was obsessed with Fishperson-Regular Person relationships

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Shape of Water was the best film I saw last year and one of the best films I've ever seen

I am very happy

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2018
    Movies get a ton of nominations when they're good AND they can get into a bunch of technical categories

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

I don't think so? I think it's nominated because A. it's very good B. Del Toro has a long history and is coming up on "it's his time" territory

There's no pandering in The Shape Of Water.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    If the short clip they show for Shape of Water before announcing the costume design award isn't just a zoom in of fishbutt, what is the Academy even doing

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm gonna go see Call Me By Your Name tomorrow, and I'm sure he's very good in it, but the combination of Timothee Chalamet in Lady Bird being my introduction to him and also seeing him gazing off into space while Saoirse Ronan accepted her Golden Globe, not even remotely looking in her direction, has convinced me he is his character in Lady Bird

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Get Out was fantastic.

Dunkirk did nothing for me.

I still need to see Lady Bird, and I guess I'll watch Three Billboards, since McDonagh directed it.

3 or 4 movies that I'm actually interested in on a best picture list is kind of a big year for me.

• Options
    I wonder how Doug Jones is going to keep his permeable skin moist enough during the entire Oscars ceremony

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I think it's fair to say that one could be forgiven for thinking that a movie got loads of nominations for cheap reasons, like being very referential to a golden age of cinema which the academy always loses it's shit at

But actually no this time it turns out it's actually a really, really, really good movie by many standards

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Boss Baby is a good movie.

I will fight this fight until the day I die.

Was this you, Raijin?

Did you send this poor idiot a Boss Baby DVD?

No...

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I'll make an effort to watch Get Out, Shape of Water, and Ladybird before the awards. The latter two are still in theaters, right?

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    they are depending on where you live, yeah, but probably not much longer.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I'll make an effort to watch Get Out, Shape of Water, and Ladybird before the awards. The latter two are still in theaters, right?

You might want to move, Ladybird is almost gone from what I can tell

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I think the only places you can see Lady Bird now are second-run theaters

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    It The Shape of Water definitely deserves nominations, I just don't think it deserves all the nominations.

Particularly Octavia Spencer, she was fine, but is "fine" enough for an Oscar nom? It apparently is.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I'm gonna go see Call Me By Your Name tomorrow, and I'm sure he's very good in it, but the combination of Timothee Chalamet in Lady Bird being my introduction to him and also seeing him gazing off into space while Saoirse Ronan accepted her Golden Globe, not even remotely looking in her direction, has convinced me he is his character in Lady Bird

he’s extremely good in Call Me By Your Name but I did spend the majority of that movie thinking “fuck you Kyle you dick,” yeah

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Baby Driver 100% has the Best Sound Editing for my money

definitely very good. but dunkirk's is better and, more importantly, increases my family's social cachet

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options

definitely very good. but dunkirk's is better and, more importantly, increases my family's social cachet
    You're being arrested for inside Oscar trading

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Don't worry, if something misses the award on sound editing, there's still time for it to win on sound mixing because the nominees for the two categories are exactly the same

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

my attornies are drafting a cease and desist on using bane voice for your ass as i speak, motherfucker

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

my attornies are drafting a cease and desist on using bane voice for your ass as i speak, motherfucker

So he's talking from his ass in a Bane voice?

I want to make sure I read this right

• Options

So he's talking from his ass in a Bane voice?

I want to make sure I read this right

no i was using the royal ass

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options

HOW DARE YOU

YOU KNOW I LOVE BANE VOICE

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Weird thing I noticed upon making the form for the Oscars Pool: Apparently the crew that made Beauty and the Beast moved right along to Darkest Hour. That's quite a juxtaposition of works.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I really hate the best Animated Feature category

Every year it's Disney/Pixar film that will win and a bunch of mediocre films that made it just because the voters couldn't be bothered to do more than think about what films they saw ads for

That sounds way more obnoxious and snobby than I'm comfortable with, but I mean

The Boss Baby?

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I really hate the best Animated Feature category

Every year it's Disney/Pixar film that will win and a bunch of mediocre films that made it just because the voters couldn't be bothered to do more than think about what films they saw ads for

That sounds way more obnoxious and snobby than I'm comfortable with, but I mean

The Boss Baby?

Turns out Raijin got to put in a nomination this year

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    What makes it weird is that the Animated Shorts category tends to be pretty good

Is it that most voters don't care enough to fill out a smaller category like Animated shorts, leaving the nominations to be made by people who do care? Is it that voters haven't heard of most of the Animated shorts, so they're less likely to just check a box because they recall the name?

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    I get why Animated Feature is its own category. In principle, it should allow for more animated films to get recognition, instead of maybe whatever Pixar or Disney put out that year. But my god, it consistently fails miserably on that front. Is there a more neglected category?

Maybe Foreign Language film. That one is usually embarrassingly inadequate.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I had not seen Boss Baby so I just read the plot on wikipedia.

That does not sound like a very good movie! But maybe the execution was funny?

• Options
    I hear it was better than people expected. But I can't help but feel the category is decided by taking the most recent Disney/Pixar film and then selecting the rest by going to a Wikipedia list of animated films that year and selecting the most recognizable names.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    What makes it weird is that the Animated Shorts category tends to be pretty good

Is it that most voters don't care enough to fill out a smaller category like Animated shorts, leaving the nominations to be made by people who do care? Is it that voters haven't heard of most of the Animated shorts, so they're less likely to just check a box because they recall the name?

Someone on FB was saying this is the first year where anyone can vote for Best Animated instead of just animation industry peeps

Dunno if that’s true or what effect it has

• Options
    Just looked it up-everyone could always vote for it, but this is the first year anyone could nominate. Previously the animators branch nominated the films everyone else would vote on.

I'm a bit surprised.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I had not seen Boss Baby so I just read the plot on wikipedia.

That does not sound like a very good movie! But maybe the execution was funny?

It was not.

I dunno, I thought Coco was great, so I'm not too mad about the fact that it'll probably win. The Breadwinner is gorgeous, and Cartoon Saloon is a perennial also-ran, so I'd be fine with them bagging the upset. Loving Vincent had great style, so that probably got it in...

Haven't seen Ferdinand, but I've heard good, so the only egregious one here seems to be The Boss Baby.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Here's an anonymous oscar ballot from a few years back where a guy explains his best Animated picture vote

He states he only watches the ones that his kid wants to watch, and then calls a Japanese film and an Irish film "obscure freakin' Chinese fuckin' things".

These awards are decided in large part by idiots who don't give a shit.

This discussion has been closed.