Options

[Movies] that may not include Star Wars

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Movies I saw last year were Beauty and the Beast (kid date), Coco, Shape of Water and TLJ. Which I think is an okay list for only being 4 movies long. The only one I really should've tried harder to add to the list was Get Out.

Also considering I've been getting to the movie theater between 3-5 x a year on average for the past few years, I realize I've managed to see all of del Toro's offerings on the big screen! Thinking about it I guess he's the only director I really follow.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Of the best picture noms this year I've only seen Shape of Water and Get Out so I'm just gonna pull real hard for one of them and declare it all bullshit if anything else gets it

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm sure The Post is very good but Get Out is the most important movie to come out in a very long time.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Steven Spielberg read the script for The Post in March of 2017 and went "yeah, this is probably going to stay pretty relevant" and made the entire movie, from start to finish, in about 8 months

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I'm sure The Post is very good but Get Out is the most important movie to come out in a very long time.

This is true. Having seen it a year ago, I keep forgetting it

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I've watched Get Out four times now and it isn't a bit stale, I keep noticing stuff I hadn't before, I am incredibly ready for Peele's next one

I still want to do a frame by frame of the wall of photos when Chris is getting the tour, I bet there's more stuff there

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    No man's land is going to hold up as an all-time great superhero scene. I don't know about the rest of the movie, outside of Pine and Gadot's performances

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

I suppose I should finally try watching Ghibli's Tales from Earthsea

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    ha, I bet Mallory Ortberg feels like an asshole for spending a whole day taking a dump on The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas recently

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    ha, I bet Mallory Ortberg feels like an asshole for spending a whole day taking a dump on The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas recently

Where was this? That story is so good!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I just watched Fateful Findings with some people. It's a Neil Breen movie, with everything that means being present within it and more. Boy howdy what an incomprehensible train wreck. I would rewatch it before I rewatch Double Down, but i'll need a long while to decompress from the insanity I just saw.

• Options

You mean like, two years ago?

http://the-toast.net/2015/12/14/the-sequel-to-the-ones-who-walk-away-from-omelas-no-one-asked-for/

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Super excited for another Black Dynamite, I never really got into the cartoon.

Black Dynamite spoilers:
    Since Bullhorn is narrating that teaser I kinda want him to show up like nothing happened and just say he got better or something.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    what's an omela
    oh The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas is the title of a Ursula K. Le Guin short story, I see

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Oh one other thing I wanted to mention about Alien/s

I love how aggressively gross both movies make the broken androids

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Oh one other thing I wanted to mention about Alien/s

I love how aggressively gross both movies make the broken androids

Which has led to an idiom in our local RPG group, "never trust anything who's blood is made of jizz"

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

You mean like, two years ago?

http://the-toast.net/2015/12/14/the-sequel-to-the-ones-who-walk-away-from-omelas-no-one-asked-for/

no, I know the difference between last week and two years ago, dude

this was on Twitter

• Options
    I'll show you the difference between your face and my fist

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    begun, the toast wars have.............

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

I suppose I should finally try watching Ghibli's Tales from Earthsea

You should read A Wizard of Earthsea instead

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I'll show you the difference between your face and my fist

Could you explain it first please

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Even though I didn't see a ton of films this year, it did produce my favorite superhero movie and my favorite Star Wars so

Bravo, movies of 2017

I'll probably see The Post this weekend if Lady Bird isn't playing the next town over

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I saw it on Twitter recently but she also did a thing in The Toast about it

she does not like it, on the grounds that it is, basically, very stupid

which...yeah, that's kinda true, but you can make the same assertion about The Lottery, and I think both stories are meant to be introductions to the idea of challenging literature, which is part of the reason they're both frequently read in high school English classes

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Hey I just watched Speed Racer again

That movie is still incredible just fyi

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I saw it on Twitter recently but she also did a thing in The Toast about it

she does not like it, on the grounds that it is, basically, very stupid

which...yeah, that's kinda true, but you can make the same assertion about The Lottery, and I think both stories are meant to be introductions to the idea of challenging literature, which is part of the reason they're both frequently read in high school English classes

Ah yes, I too insist that all my social morality allegorical tales make complete sense when over-analyzed from a "what if this was literally true" sense instead of saying "how does this feel like it comments on what's going in the real world."

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Saw Phantom Thread tonight

That movie is very much Not My Thing

would probably give it Best Score though

• Options
    do you think anyone finished a viewing of Pan and thought "that guy's next movie will definitely be nominated for Best Picture"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Tom McCarthy did spotlight right after doing the cobbler

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I watched a couple of movies yesterday that haven't been talked about much, that turned out to be similar in ways I wasn't expecting at all.

Patti Cake$ The story of Patricia Dumbrowski, aka White Trish, aka Marilyn Mansion, aka Patti Cake$, aka Killa P. A poor girl from Jersey stuck in a shitty home situation with dreams of escaping through her musical talents - in this case, rapping. You can probably call every major beat in this movie right now, based just on that description. Which results in a fair amount of boredom and disappointment along the way. BUT, Danielle Macdonald is so damned charismatic and convincing as Patti that I couldn't help but root for her along the way. The actress playing her mother also does a great job. It all leads up to a predictable yet unearned ending, that I was ultimately ok with thanks to just how likeable Patti was. The movie also acknowledges the cultural appropriation aspect of a white girl trying to become a success as a rapper and addresses it reasonably well. Give this one a shot when it shows up on a streaming service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-591Dqa48g

The Hero The story of Lee Hayden, a Western icon at the end of a 40+ year career who is stuck shilling bbq sauce and hanging out smoking pot with his drug dealer while wishing he could make one last movie. He receives some dire health news early on, and the movie is really about how that affects him and drives him to patch things up with his ex-wife and daughter. It also stars Nick Offerman as his drug dealer, Krysten Ritter as his daughter and Laura Prepon as a possible love interest he meets at Nick Offerman's place. This film is also predictable as all hell. And it lacks the pure joyousness that Patti Cake$ brings to the table at times. But Sam Elliott turns in the best performance I've ever seen from him, as Lee Hayden. The movie was apparently written for him and he knocks it out of the fucking park. Nobody else really lives up to him - for the most part, the parts are too slight or underwritten, particularly Krysten Ritter's - but he carries this movie and then some. To the point that I feel he was robbed with the announcement of the Oscar nominations. His performance was absolutely better than at least two of the Best Actor nominees that I've seen. It's on Hulu now, or for rent from other services.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiKtUnI0u4U

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I will say Coco had the sharpest difference between predictions of quality and how people felt about it after they watched it that I can remember in a long time.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Death of Stalin is now officially banned in Russia.

https://cbsnews.com/news/the-death-of-stalin-russia-bans-satirical-film/

• Options
    I guess they took the Jeffrey Tambor thing pretty hard

• Options
    While I don't think they're right, I'm not surprised that Russians are still protective of Stalin. The British are the same with Winston Churchill who would have been absolutely as monstrous if he'd gotten a chance and was pretty vile with the power he did have. Beating the Nazis will buy you a lot of mythological credit.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    It's been two days and I still can't stop thinking about the scene in Baby Driver with Hocus Pocus playing. God the music in that movie is so well chosen.

• Options
    Spent my Wednesday morning like you do, watching We Need To Talk About Kevin

Maybe this is insensitive, but I immediately latched onto it as a modern-day remake of The Omen and really liked it through that lens

6F32U1X.png
This discussion has been closed.