Options

[Movies] that may not include Star Wars

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Here's an anonymous oscar ballot from a few years back where a guy explains his best Animated picture vote

He states he only watches the ones that his kid wants to watch, and then calls a Japanese film and an Irish film "obscure freakin' Chinese fuckin' things".

These awards are decided in large part by idiots who don't give a shit.

In the last year or two they have kicked out a lot of people like that and let a lot more people in

There's a pretty straight line between that and this year's lineup being noticeably better

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Someone just reminded me that Wonder Woman came out this year and while that movie didn’t really vibe with me, it had such a critical reception and made such an impact that I’m kinda surprised it’s not up for anything at all

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    This year's list is much, much better in general, but worse in Best animated

Which makes me sad, because I love animated films.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Someone just reminded me that Wonder Woman came out this year and while that movie didn’t really vibe with me, it had such a critical reception and made such an impact that I’m kinda surprised it’s not up for anything at all

It got eclipsed by a bevy of excellent movies that came out towards the end of the year.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Where the hell is @Rorshach Kringle when I need him?

Boss Baby is good!

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Where the hell is "Rorshach Kringle" when I need him?

Boss Baby is good!

What did you like about it?

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I hope Saoirse Ronan wins all the Oscars. I've been following her career since Hanna, because she was a fucking standout in that. It's extremely rare for child actors to be that good.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Hermano wrote: »

Boss Baby is good!

So the basic idea is that the whole story is the older kid's way of coming to terms with having a new baby brother. It's ambiguous but the story that you see is what he thinks its going to be like to have a baby brother and as it plays out he realizes he's overreacting and goes from dreading having this baby brother to looking forward to it

It's a surprisingly sweet story and I fully know that I could be biased since I have kids. It might have impacted me differently for that reason.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    the boss baby deserves all the oscars

the baby wears a suit

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    And also the baby wears a suit.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I never fully understood the dislike of that movie aside from Alec Baldwin being a blowhard

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    I'm not saying it should win or even definitely deserves a nomination.

I'm just saying it's a much better movie than people think.

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    For those who are curious, here is the full submission list for Best Animated Feature, spoilered for length:
    The Big Bad Fox & Other Tales
    Birdboy: The Forgotten Children
    The Boss Baby
    The Breadwinner
    Captain Underpants The First Epic Movie
    Cars 3
    Cinderella the Cat
    Coco
    Despicable Me 3
    The Emoji Movie
    Ethel & Ernest
    Ferdinand
    The Girl without Hands
    In This Corner of the World
    The Lego Batman Movie
    The Lego Ninjago Movie
    Loving Vincent
    Mary and The Witch's Flower
    Moomins and the Winter Wonderland
    My Entire High School Sinking into the Sea
    Napping Princess
    A Silent Voice
    Smurfs: The Lost Village
    The Star
    Sword Art Online the Movie: Ordinal Scale
    Window Horses The Poetic Persian Epiphany of Rosie Ming

source site

Not sure if some of them were declared ineligible or did not get a hard long look from the voting members but that is a lot of animated films to choose from to get five finalist.

Personally rooting for The Breadwinner; that was a great story and from the same studio the did Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea (both good, too!). Haven't seen Loving Vincent but liked what I saw from the trailer.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Both A Silent Voice and In This Corner of the World absolutely deserve nominations

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Boss Baby is good!

So the basic idea is that the whole story is the older kid's way of coming to terms with having a new baby brother. It's ambiguous but the story that you see is what he thinks its going to be like to have a baby brother and as it plays out he realizes he's overreacting and goes from dreading having this baby brother to looking forward to it

It's a surprisingly sweet story and I fully know that I could be biased since I have kids. It might have impacted me differently for that reason.

Oh I've seen Boss Baby. Thank you for writing this though, I can see why you like it

I didn't hate it or anything, it just didn't really do anything for me

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    We just watched boss baby last night. It was fine. I wish they'd explored the antagonist explanation more. The framing at the end really made me question the entire story though and I thought that was cool.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »

I really liked WW but I'm not sure what you could nominate it for.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't know that any of the individual elements of Wonder Woman are at the nomination level, necessarily, and there isn't an Oscar category for "most inspirational to little girls," as great as that would be

Though plenty of other films have been nominated for stuff because they were crazy popular and the Academy felt it should throw them something (see Return of the King not being even the best LOTR film but still getting a clean sweep of awards, probably because everyone went oh well they deserve it by now huh)

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I guess the script? Although any movie with a prophecy ought to be disqualified.

• Options
    I suspect that maybe in ten years time, removed from the current zeitgeist, Wonder Woman will not hold up very well.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I don't think it even holds up well now. Apart from the No Man's Land scene it's as removed from feeling real as Batman V Superman or anything else in the DC Universe. It feels and looks like sets and CGI, and accomplishes nothing special in terms of direction or storytelling. It was an ok watch, but it didn't deserve the hype.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I think it is okay for a piece of media to be well-received and liked largely because of its place in the social and cultural context at the time, even if it does not hold up later on down the line.

• Options
    The last act of Wonder Woman is not good at all.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I think it is okay for a piece of media to be well-received and liked largely because of its place in the social and cultural context at the time, even if it does not hold up later on down the line.

Sure is! I think it's also okay for that movie to not receive awards for stuff that other movies do

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Both A Silent Voice and In This Corner of the World absolutely deserve nominations

I haven't seen A Silent Voice, I'll have to check it out. Agree on the latter though.

Boss Baby is good!

I can appreciate that. Kinda starting to think that my attachment to Coco has a lot to do with my family, since not many in the thread seem super into it.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    When I heard of 'Boss Baby' it sounded like a movie that the writers of 30 Rock would make up and put on a movie poster somewhere on set.

• Options
    I think it's a little regrettable that most of the great performance and character moments in the movie belong to Chris Pine. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie generally though. It was losing me a little bit until No Man's Land where I suddenly realised that the movie had laid its groundwork very successfully.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Wonder woman was "fine" for me. I hated the CG which was really jarring and felt low budget or dated and general all grey cinematography but the practical effects and stunts were great. It was a straight forward story. The characters were generally likable. Wonder woman gets to be a badass. The comic book villain was bad. the wwi as antagonist was pretty cool.

it's impossible not to compare it favorably next to the garbage DC movies.

And the alt-right hates it. all upside.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I don't think it even holds up well now. Apart from the No Man's Land scene it's as removed from feeling real as Batman V Superman or anything else in the DC Universe. It feels and looks like sets and CGI, and accomplishes nothing special in terms of direction or storytelling. It was an ok watch, but it didn't deserve the hype.

Nah, it absolutely did deserve the hype, as hype is relegated to a moment in time and it was the first female-led and female-directed superhero movie on this scale. It is an important movie, even if it’s just a decent example of the genre and not as good as the hype implies.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    important and great don't always go hand in hand

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I had the same reaction to Wonder Woman that I did to Horizon: Zero Dawn

I am very happy for those that really loved it and my main relationship with it is mostly one of frustration that I'm not one of those people

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I thought Coco was terrific and the music is fantastic, but I was also aware that it held no cultural significance for me and therefore I'm not qualified to critique it/talk about it in any fashion, if that makes sense!

I'm not sure how to feel about all of Shape of Water's nominations, please don't let the Oscars ruin my private monster romance.

• Options

This is a very good way of putting it. Wonder Woman was very timely, and an important moment in cinema. Will it stand up as a movie? I suspect not, but I don't think that'll change how people feel about the moment they watched it.

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    I thought Coco was terrific and the music is fantastic, but I was also aware that it held no cultural significance for me and therefore I'm not qualified to critique it/talk about it in any fashion, if that makes sense!

I'm not sure how to feel about all of Shape of Water's nominations, please don't let the Oscars ruin my private monster romance.

fish butt is going to get too famous and not spend time at home anymore

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

This is a very good way of putting it. Wonder Woman was very timely, and an important moment in cinema. Will it stand up as a movie? I suspect not, but I don't think that'll change how people feel about the moment they watched it.

Nor, hopefully, on the effect it will have on the movie landscape in the near future.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular

Nor, hopefully, on the effect it will have on the movie landscape in the near future.

I wouldn't hold my breath

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular

I guess this is why I was surprised

I didn't like it very much, but it made such an impact, and for good reason

I guess it's whether you think Oscar winners are necessarily movies that need to hold up forever, or if they can or should be recognized for what they were at a moment in history

Like, my pick right now is The Post, and a big part of that movie's impact is that it was released during the Trump presidency and the Me Too movement

It moved me a lot, but I don't think it would have nearly as much during the Obama era

We can't even know if it would have been made back then, because it wasn't, and the state of the world and greater context surrounding the creation of an artwork can't really be separated from the work

So I guess I don't necessarily think Oscar movies have to hold up, they're like a time capsule of "these are the stories that were important to our society in 2017"

This discussion has been closed.