Options

[Movies] that may not include Star Wars

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I just checked flights to Sydney from LAX on Google Flights for the vacation time I've already got scheduled at the beginning of next month. Cheapest round-trip flight is $1153 with the caveat that the flight there (with layovers etc) will take 32 hours and the flight back will take almost 25.

Cheapest ticket with a reasonable flight time (~18hrs each way) is $1258.

I'm glad I live near a major international airport on the west coast, because those tickets aren't craaaazy but they're still pretty expensive.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    $100 to save like an entire day of travel seems like a pretty good deal to me

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    LAX to Sydney is a long straight-shot flight but honestly having a stop partway through sounds worse.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

Yeah, that difference is so small it seems like a no-brainer.

The cheapest non-stop is $1889, which saves 2-3 hours each way. I probably would opt for the $1200 flight, personally.

That crazy long but cheap flight layovers in Honolulu though, so that's not a bad spot to be, either. The return has a layover in Taiwan, also not bad.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

Yeah, that difference is so small it seems like a no-brainer.

The cheapest non-stop is $1889, which saves 2-3 hours each way. I probably would opt for the $1200 flight, personally.

That crazy long but cheap flight layovers in Honolulu though, so that's not a bad spot to be, either. The return has a layover in Taiwan, also not bad.

If it's a long enough layover to get out of the airport for a while that wouldn't be bad. If not, well, there's really nothing at all worthwhile in the Honolulu airport.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I have friends who are going to Australia this year.

I'm now keenly aware of the income/saving discrepancy between them and I.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I have friends who are going to Australia this year.

I'm now keenly aware of the income/saving discrepancy between them and I.

A person I have known for years from WOW and diablo from the land of OZ went to Hawaii two years ago and made fun of how cheap it was :rotate:

Brainleech on
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    -Tal wrote: »
    Churchill was evil

Yep

• Options
    Dubai for some reason is the only country I'm actually boycotting. There are other countries I have no plans to go to, ever. Dubai is the only developed nation where I'd actively resist attempts to make me go there.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I'll go to Australia, all you have to do is make it not cost like two grand to fly there

How do you think WE feel?

Going to AusPAX (Perth-Melbourne) costs us ~$1200 in flights alone, which is why we're not going this year. I don't even want to think about how much flying to Seattle would cost to go to PAX Prime in September. Sure there's budget airlines doing packages for two for ~$3500, but I really don't want to spend 54 hours total travelling being stuffed into a variety of dinky little planes like Airbus A319s and having a 22 hour (!!) layover in Sydney...

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Dubai for some reason is the only country I'm actually boycotting. There are other countries I have no plans to go to, ever. Dubai is the only developed nation where I'd actively resist attempts to make me go there.

Probs all the slavery and migrant worker deaths, yeah?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Same but also Qatar for me also.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I have no desire to go to other countries

I feel like I'd just be out a ton of money and probably end up not doing much really

All my "vacations" are like "I'm just gonna go to the beach and movies and play games and not work"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I have 3 kids. I'm not going anywhere that's further than 15 minutes from my house.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    With kids, every vacation is just more work anyway

You could say I need a vacation

from

my

vacation

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Daddy's going on vacation to the tree in the back yard. See you all in two weeks.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    There's ONE time kids are useful on vacation and it's when they get you special treatment in airports

(the price you have to pay is taking your kids in airports and on planes in the first place)

Janson on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I showed my mom Get Out today.

She was pissed that she couldn't call the ending exactly halfway through the movie

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

(Dubai is a city, not a country)

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

(Dubai is a city, not a country)

YOU'RE NOT A COUNTRY

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    What...what?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

I think if you had told me, ten years ago, that Keanu Reeves would actually be able to pull of the inscrutable weirdo/secret genius thing, I'd have thought you were an idiot

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Need the prequel video too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALsdXAGBE-Q

Also, yeah, he actually does own a motorcycle company.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Keanu Reeves rules.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    This is definitely my favorite stage of his career

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    No man's land is going to hold up as an all-time great superhero scene. I don't know about the rest of the movie, outside of Pine and Gadot's performances

<anecdote>
    My wife was in tears watching that scene, and couldn't figure out why. She didn't mention it to anyone for a while because she thought she was just being weird. But eventually she discovered that many many women had had the same reaction. I still don't know the whole of it (probably never will), but the bit I could grasp was that it was the first time that a lot of people got a chance to see a woman (and by extension themselves) in that type of role in that type of scene, without hedging or male gaze or a hundred other little things that male viewers like me take for granted. I probably had a "first" scene like that but when I was like, four years old. My wife didn't get one until she was thirty-one. I have to think a lot more about how it's different from other movies (it's not like there have never been heroic female protagonists before), but whether I understand it or not, the emotional impact can't be denied.

(aside: I'd had a casually positive opinion of Chris Pine before seeing WW, and he blew me away. I think the role was a lot more difficult to fill than it first appeared, and he did it perfectly. His face in the plane still gets me.)

That scene still makes me cry.

And Chris Pine is magnificent.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Keanu Reeves is on the short list of people I would gush at for literally an hour about all the shit he’s done that’s dope that ain’t even movies.

Patrick Stewart is also on the list.

Serious, just an hour of “remember that one time you funded and spoke out for prevention of domestic violence against women for like your whole life?” and “remember the time you met Sonny Chiba?”.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Just informing Keanu Reeves "remember when you were so loyal to your Matrix stuntmen that you insisted they direct John Wick and made them into major players in Hollywood"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    This review of Shape of Water is hilarious
    It’s one thing to ask audiences to suspend belief for this fairy tale, and it’s a whole other thing to ask them to consider for one moment that an otherwise sane woman would be so desperate as to fall for a creature who can’t even survive on dry land--not when there are actual men in this town.

• Options
    The bonkers sexuality is the best thing about that movie

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    It’s one thing to ask audiences to suspend belief for this fairy tale, and it’s a whole other thing to ask them to consider for one moment that an otherwise sane woman would be so desperate as to fall for a creature who can’t even survive on dry land--not when there are actual men in this town.

Ahahahaha

Yes because all of the men in the movie are just

So

So good

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    There are actual men in this town though!

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Wait just a goshdarned second, I think that movie might be some kind of metaphor!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I sure hope not. I'm buying a ticket for someone literally fucking a fish monster. If it's all some kind of metaphor I'm not sure my boner will understand.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    The bullet points say that the problem is that the romance is too male gazey and I just rolled my eyes so hard that I shit my pants

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Those Danny McBride Dundee trailers have been determined by an Australian newspaper to be leading into a Super Bowl Ad, but not for Mountain Dew. It's by the Australian Tourism Board.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »

Ahahahaha

Yes because all of the men in the movie are just

So

So good

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    The bullet points say that the problem is that the romance is too male gazey and I just rolled my eyes so hard that I shit my pants

It's not male gazey, nah

My problem with the romance-- movie spoilers here, don't click if you haven't seen it
    --was that it was a bit unclear to what extent Fishdude was ......... able to consent?

They play up how he's unable to comprehend his situation a couple times and how he's acting on instinct, such as in the kitty chomp scene. Which raises some questions for me as to what his relationship to Elisa can be, how he views it, and whether Elisa is taking advantage of him or not.

I dunno, maybe it's just me.

This discussion has been closed.