As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW Classic] Launching on August 27th.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I'd be A-OK with a slow progression server that goes up to like wrath or cata and resets after a bit.

Probably makes the most sense to stop at Wrath, since Cata is sort of the point at which it started to become the WoW we know today.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Now that the raid talk has ended, let us all remember the true threat.

L8jmzGB.jpg

(source here)

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    The true threat are the casters in westfall that will completely wall off 90% of today's playerbase from getting any further lol. And of course the various murloc camps that are actually dangerous when you are capable of taking damage.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    Now that the raid talk has ended, let us all remember the true threat.

L8jmzGB.jpg

(source here)

I remember farming devilsaur leather on my Rogue for crafting. Don't even remember what was made using it.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    The true threat are the casters in westfall that will completely wall off 90% of today's playerbase from getting any further lol. And of course the various murloc camps that are actually dangerous when you are capable of taking damage.

Blizzard actually did most metrics for "most dangerous enemies in WoW" by posting total death counts to various NPCs.

#1 by a large margin was, in fact, Defias Pillagers.

Javen on
  • Options
    Ya i remember whn they posted that. It was a loooong time ago. They havent done something like that in a while. I always thought they were interesting.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I feel like the Defias Pillager existed to act as a population check on Alliance players. :P

Anyways, I think a big hurdle Blizz is dealing with is where they should fix bugs and where maybe they should bring in some overall improvements to the game (graphics? server integration? making stuff reasonable viable, rather than a trap?). Not to mention whether it'll be a snapshot of a specific patch or if they intent to roll out patches.

I think "for better or worse" is probably going to get told to fuck off because it'll likely leave a game they can't really make money off of. Also they don't really need to have a classic server to shut down private servers. Until the laws change or WoW goes into the public domain, they own the IP and go after people that violate their ownership. Obviously, it would make a ton of sense to wait until things settle down with BFA because they might need to use it as a hail Mary, if BFA does not do well at all.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Probably by virtue of being a low level mob that almost every Alliance character will run into. If it was done as a percentage of how many player encounters with a given mob resulted in death, I think there'd be other mobs higher.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    pillagers were really dumb back when; their fireball thing could hit for like 75% of a equivalent-level player's health, and in that era not everybody had interrupts/stuns/etc (especially at low level)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Yeah I remember their fireballs hitting for like 80-ish, when most classes had a health pool of 300 or so, and you usually couldn’t tell that they were even targeting you until 1 had already landed, and they were charging up a 2nd

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    the murlocs on the coast in westfall were pretty deadly as well, high density, big aggro range, tons of patrols running up and down the whole beach at full speed, and they'd all do the "run away and aggro in more allies" low health thing.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    the murlocs on the coast in westfall were pretty deadly as well, high density, big aggro range, tons of patrols running up and down the whole beach at full speed, and they'd all do the "run away and aggro in more allies" low health thing.

That area and the Murloc places in elwynn are literally where the meme originated, so yeah that tracks

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, I remember talking to friends and reading up on stuff with the Defias Pillagers. I never dealt with one leveling because I do next to nothing on Alliance side, but from what I heard, they were incredibly dumb back then. Heck, if they had a setup like everything else, I wouldn't be surprised if the player ended up sometimes getting more than one or additional mobs when one decided to nuke them. So chances of being dazed as the next fireball gets charged up and finishes the player off or the player attempts to flee hoping they can out range the aggro.

Not to mention interrupts were pretty rare back then. Don't know if rogues and warriors had their interrupt when they started running into those bastards. Not to mention other CC was less numerous, even during TBC at the low levels and I suspect it might have been less common in vanilla.

Don't know if Blizz broke it down by percentages, but I'm willing to be if they did. Defias Pillagers will still claim the top because something taking 70-80 of your HP is not easy to deal with.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Pretty sure falling damage is still the king of death. Aided by those traitorous elevators.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    It was so funny in Burning Crusade that the elevator from the Aldor Rise in Shattrath was high enough to kill you, as evidenced by the pile of player skeletons at the bottom. And without fail every skeleton was an Alliance player, because Horde players already knew how to be careful around elevators. Elevators were the Defias Pillagers of the Hordeside.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    For some reason I remember the Horde Archers from AV being pretty high up the list.

Which amazed the hell out of the Horde playerbase.

• Options
    Decomposey wrote: »
    It was so funny in Burning Crusade that the elevator from the Aldor Rise in Shattrath was high enough to kill you, as evidenced by the pile of player skeletons at the bottom. And without fail every skeleton was an Alliance player, because Horde players already knew how to be careful around elevators. Elevators were the Defias Pillagers of the Hordeside.

I killed people with my druid on that elevator, I'd just jump off bird form up and move on, others would follow like idiots thinking I jumped because you could survive it like the scryer one and bam splat.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I remember the Scryer one only being safe if you walked off and that jumping would get you enough height to die. I was a druid though, so I honestly don't remember if that's true or not since once I hit 68 I never needed to use the elevator again.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

I killed people with my druid on that elevator, I'd just jump off bird form up and move on, others would follow like idiots thinking I jumped because you could survive it like the scryer one and bam splat.

I just bubbled halfway down. Good times.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I just bubbled halfway down. Good times.

I ran around Shattrath with a parachute cloak (go engineers).

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I remember Paladin bubbles being used for a lot of stuff other than what they were intended for.
    Pally bubble pull in MC was essential on one of the fights. MC entrance was easy to get to because you can just bubble and fall into the lava and jump out unscathed. You can hearth when the bubble is up, giving an easy way to end the raid when everyone dies.

Also, bubbles were 12 seconds of attacking that the enemy can do absolutely nothing about. This made just about everyone cry on the forums and the eventual nerf of it in other expansions.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    I swear back in the day when you bubbled it was a mutual you couldn't attack them, they couldn't attack you.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I swear back in the day when you bubbled it was a mutual you couldn't attack them, they couldn't attack you.

The low level bubble you get did that, but the other version of bubble just reduced your damage by 50%.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I think it doubled your swing timer, which was pretty much the same thing in the autoattack world of vanilla, but still.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    IIRC Blessing of protection stopped physical damage but also prevented you from auto attacking.

Nobody on
  • Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    IIRC Blessing of protection stopped physical damage but also prevented you from auto attacking.

that was true until Legion.

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Mind Controlling people into the lava was one of the best parts of being a priest during vanilla.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    E.Coyote wrote: »
    Mind Controlling people into the lava was one of the best parts of being a priest during vanilla.

A warlock and a priest could pretty much lock down lumber mill on AB too with fears and MCs.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    As a prot warrior with WotF, I could also lock down mill. Sure, I'm wasn't going to kill anyone, but there was no way in hell an alliance force could get rid of me before reinforcements could ride all the way across the map.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Considering that Heroic Mode Now used to be what the old Normal Mode Difficulty mode was, I'd say its fair to say heroic isn't made to be especially difficult.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Javen wrote: »

Blizzard actually did most metrics for "most dangerous enemies in WoW" by posting total death counts to various NPCs.

Don't forget the best part

The second most deadly NPC was Cat, the most common name for Hunter pets.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »

The Son of Argul in Sliverpine
    The roaming gank

• Options
    As a prot warrior with WotF, I could also lock down mill. Sure, I'm wasn't going to kill anyone, but there was no way in hell an alliance force could get rid of me before reinforcements could ride all the way across the map.

As a Rogue I only had problems with tanks if they had healers with them. Rogues having a broken ass stun lock in vanilla was fun. I would use it against high profile gankers on my server.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    I PvPed with my boyfriend at the time. He was a priest. I was invincible.

I have obviously since that time married him, because I'd be a fool to let a pocket healer get away.

• Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »

Broken Tooth my booooooooooi.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options

I have obviously since that time married him, because I'd be a fool to let a pocket healer get away.

There was an Arms Warrior on my server that was notorious. He was part of a guild called the Twelve Prophets and they were apparently in the beta and had figured out a way to exploit the lockout system for raids and ran MC multiple times a week and this Warrior got a Hammer of Ragnaros really fast. He was a banker and never went any without at least two healers when ganking.

He was a pain in the ass.

• Options
    I was on an RP server, so we only had two 'notorious' 'gankers'. One was a friendly gnome Warlock who would hang out in the Undercity throne room and dance with people, utterly destroying anyone who attacked her. The other was a human warlock who would summon unbound Infernals at the main hub of bad cyber-sex rp in what she called 'The Cleansing of Goldshire', she was regarded as performing a public service.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    I remember Paladin bubbles being used for a lot of stuff other than what they were intended for.
    Pally bubble pull in MC was essential on one of the fights. MC entrance was easy to get to because you can just bubble and fall into the lava and jump out unscathed. You can hearth when the bubble is up, giving an easy way to end the raid when everyone dies.

Also, bubbles were 12 seconds of attacking that the enemy can do absolutely nothing about. This made just about everyone cry on the forums and the eventual nerf of it in other expansions.

Good old bubble hearth

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

There was an Arms Warrior on my server that was notorious. He was part of a guild called the Twelve Prophets and they were apparently in the beta and had figured out a way to exploit the lockout system for raids and ran MC multiple times a week and this Warrior got a Hammer of Ragnaros really fast. He was a banker and never went any without at least two healers when ganking.

He was a pain in the ass.

This was on Mannoroth, right? That server--as well as most of the other servers that existed as beta servers--was full of stuff like that.

• Options
    It was called cascading and they ended up banning a bunch of people for it and eventually fixed the exploit. People with healbots following them around though still happens to this day, it's like the only way a healer can do anything out in the world.

This discussion has been closed.