As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fire and Fury - Trump/Bannon Love is Over?

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Trump clearly has some very unique learning or personality disorder that medical science hasn’t yet really categorized.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Perhaps if the tabloids realize how well this book sells, maybe they'll stop sucking Donald's dick. I mean, during Obama's (and Bush's) era, a single arched eyebrow from their wives had diatribes about "Sources say the President is about to divorce!!!"

But with Trump..... radio silence. His wife slaps his hand away? Nothing but "Trump Dominates Krazy Kim-Jong-Un!"

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Trump clearly has some very unique learning or personality disorder that medical science hasn’t yet really categorized.

No, it’s just a tragic and pathological mix of normal ones

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »

Like what?

• Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Perhaps if the tabloids realize how well this book sells, maybe they'll stop sucking Donald's dick. I mean, during Obama's (and Bush's) era, a single arched eyebrow from their wives had diatribes about "Sources say the President is about to divorce!!!"

But with Trump..... radio silence. His wife slaps his hand away? Nothing but "Trump Dominates Krazy Kim-Jong-Un!"

Trump cultivated a relationship with tabloid journalists of all stripes (the book emphasizes the New York Observer quite a bit, which I'm not familiar with but seems to be Manhattan-centric gossip rag). He has long associated with other businesses that are in the business of fleecing rubes (pro wrestling being another example). While I have no doubt that the tabloid publishers would turn on him if they thought there was a dollar in it, and the Trump meltdown would certainly be epic, I suspect that they realize that the overlap between rubes who spend money on tabloids and rubes that vote Trump is very substantial (this is of course entirely based on my own biases so may well be wrong). Right now it seems that no one in the rube-fleecing business wants to upset the apple cart by casting aspersions because it could just as easily wind up that these people stick with Trump and get their updates on Jennifer Anniston's upcoming marriage to Batboy somewhere else.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I’ve never seen this New York Observer on sale. I think idiot rubes get gossip online these days.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

Trump cultivated a relationship with tabloid journalists of all stripes (the book emphasizes the New York Observer quite a bit, which I'm not familiar with but seems to be Manhattan-centric gossip rag). He has long associated with other businesses that are in the business of fleecing rubes (pro wrestling being another example). While I have no doubt that the tabloid publishers would turn on him if they thought there was a dollar in it, and the Trump meltdown would certainly be epic, I suspect that they realize that the overlap between rubes who spend money on tabloids and rubes that vote Trump is very substantial (this is of course entirely based on my own biases so may well be wrong). Right now it seems that no one in the rube-fleecing business wants to upset the apple cart by casting aspersions because it could just as easily wind up that these people stick with Trump and get their updates on Jennifer Anniston's upcoming marriage to Batboy somewhere else.

:lol: Jared Kushner owns the New York Observer. Bought it for $10 million. Wolff didnt mention that?

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »

:lol: Jared Kushner owns the New York Observer. Bought it for $10 million. Wolff didnt mention that?

Mentioned it in detail in fact. Made Kushner look like an idiot for buying the white elephant.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    He basically is President Camacho

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Mentioned it in detail in fact. Made Kushner look like an idiot for buying the white elephant.

"...which everyone said was $10 million too much" is basically a direct quote

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    He basically is President Camacho

I dunno

Camacho showed some actual initiative. He may actually have been the second smartest person in that dystopian future because of the fact he recognized a real problem with unpopular solutions and figured out who could fix it.

Somehow, I'm not seeing Trump clearing even that low bar. Especially considering the images presented by this book.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options

Oh no, he did. There's a lot about it in the earlier chapters, which go into some of Trump's motivations (he really wants to be liked and admired by the Manhattan upper crust, to a degree that is almost tragic).

I was conflating a bit with observations that are external to the book. He's apparently on good terms with the owner of the National Enquirer (interesting Washington Post article on it). In fact, the Post article there addresses the Trump hand slap in particular. The owner of the Enquirer characterizes the readership as sadistic losers (like I said, rubes) who are 96% Trump voters (like I said, rubes).

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    President Camacho knew a real smart motherfucker who could solve problems when he saw one

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Oh no, he did. There's a lot about it in the earlier chapters, which go into some of Trump's motivations (he really wants to be liked and admired by the Manhattan upper crust, to a degree that is almost tragic).

I was conflating a bit with observations that are external to the book. He's apparently on good terms with the owner of the National Enquirer (interesting Washington Post article on it). In fact, the Post article there addresses the Trump hand slap in particular. The owner of the Enquirer characterizes the readership as sadistic losers (like I said, rubes) who are 96% Trump voters (like I said, rubes).

The only tabloid that seems to seriously go after Trump is the New York Post Daily News, which I assume is the case because they're from New York and therefore hate Trump with a personal, burning hatred that overrides usual considerations of buyer base.

But back on Trump/Bannon, does the book go into Bannon's obvious physical decline ('the human melting candle' effect) and if that ever came up in this knife fight between petty stupid people? Something I've wondered is if Bannon partly got pushed out by the Javanka wing because they were just physically repulsed by him (which leaves open the frightening possibility that they would be more amendable to listening to/allying with a fascist that had a prettier face), or if it was purely ideological.

Edit: Thanks nexuscrawler for the correction. I'm getting the NY tabloids mixed up. How many of the damn things are there?

Mayabird on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The Post is a right wing Rag the love Trump

The Daily News hates him

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    The Post is a right wing Rag the love Trump

The Daily News hates him

I am pretty sure the main reason the NY Daily News hates Trump is because their local tabloid rival loves him.

I am glad there's at least one right-wing tabloid that's still eager to mock the living shit out of Trump, though.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Like what?

Narcissism most likely. Just look at the list here and it's shockingly familiar from top to bottom. But people been saying that for over a year now. His behaviour is not outside the context of what we've seen before, it's just where he ended up that makes it so shocking.

I mean, from everything you hear about this book it doesn't change anything about who we knew Trump was. It mostly just says "He's worse then you thought". But we already knew he was obsessed with being liked by others and lashed out at anything that challenged that, a functionally illiterate moron with no attention span, a compulsive liar and bullshitter and that he didn't understand that other people were real people with actual internal emotions and just saw them as an extension of his own desperate need for validation. And this shit is not some hitherto unseen set of traits.

shryke on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular

Like what?

The real problem is Trump would never submit to being tested for any sort of condition, even treatable ones, so it's not that he has some special unique condition, but rather that this is what happens when someone goes without treatment and is given a great deal of power.

For example, my impression for a long time with Trump & reading is that he probably has dyslexia or some other sort of learning disability. But he'd rather go to his grave than ever be tested for such a thing.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

The only tabloid that seems to seriously go after Trump is the New York Post Daily News, which I assume is the case because they're from New York and therefore hate Trump with a personal, burning hatred that overrides usual considerations of buyer base.

But back on Trump/Bannon, does the book go into Bannon's obvious physical decline ('the human melting candle' effect) and if that ever came up in this knife fight between petty stupid people? Something I've wondered is if Bannon partly got pushed out by the Javanka wing because they were just physically repulsed by him (which leaves open the frightening possibility that they would be more amendable to listening to/allying with a fascist that had a prettier face), or if it was purely ideological.

Edit: Thanks nexuscrawler for the correction. I'm getting the NY tabloids mixed up. How many of the damn things are there?

Yes, it does go into Bannon's physical decline, a little bit.

• Options

It does touch on it somewhat. Bannon, particularly early on, is the only person displaying real hustle. He is putting in 12+ hour days, 7 days a week. He is depicted as being intense and for him, the Trump presidency is a means of achieving substantial goals that he is passionate about (in many cases terrible goals, although perhaps more sympathetic ones than the GOP establishment). It definitely comes up in the palace power struggle - Trump is obsessed with branding and image, something Kushner and Ivanka both take to heart (Kushner is at one point referred to as the best-dressed man in Washington, though this is not a compliment). Bannon's appearance annoys Trump, and Ivanka and Kushner exploit that. They also understand Trump better than Bannon does, realizing that things like working long hours don't count for shit as far as he is concerned.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Yes, it does go into Bannon's physical decline, a little bit.

Anything relevant? Alternately, did the factions rise up because of actual ideological differences or was it a personality thing, where Bannon was an asshole (or worse in Javanka's eyes, didn't kowtow enough) and was opposed for that reason?

Just trying to figure out how much of the dysfunction was innate and how much was due to infighting. If it was infighting, then 2018 will likely lead to lots of stupid shit happening, rather than just being stupid scandals that are talked about.

Edit: Just saw @Edith_Bagot-Dix 's post. Thanks!

Mayabird on
  • Options
    Trump is depicted as bullying Bannon for his dishevelled appearance. Bannon might still be in power if he'd seen a dermatologist and personal stylist. Trump is superficial like that.

• Options
    Trump is depicted as bullying Bannon for his dishevelled appearance. Bannon might still be in power if he'd seen a dermatologist and personal stylist. Trump is superficial like that.

Yes, absolutely. This is one of the reasons why my attitude toward the Trump administration has shifted to "it's worse than you think" because of this book. If Bannon had understood Trump well enough to get a style consultant and adopt some sort of GQ inspired look (or, more odiously, dug out his old Navy uniform and added 37 more pieces of flair - Trump is also noted for loving gold braid and medals look) he probably would have saved himself a lot of frustration and may well have pushed Jarvanka out.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I feel like I'm mostly learning that rather than a reflection on 'how could someone like this become president' we really need to take a step back and wonder what it means that someone like this could be remotely successful and perceived as a great businessman to really anybody with a functioning brain. he doesn't appear capable in any sense.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Bannon apologizes to Trump and Don Jr. (notice the missing person);
    • "Donald Trump, Jr. is both a patriot and a good man. He has been relentless in his advocacy for his father and the agenda that has helped turn our country around."
    • "My support is also unwavering for the president and his agenda — as I have shown daily in my national radio broadcasts, on the pages of Breitbart News and in speeches and appearances from Tokyo and Hong Kong to Arizona and Alabama."
    • "President Trump was the only candidate that could have taken on and defeated the Clinton apparatus. I am the only person to date to conduct a global effort to preach the message of Trump and Trumpism; and remain ready to stand in the breech for this president's efforts to make America great again."
    • "My comments about the meeting with Russian nationals came from my life experiences as a Naval officer stationed aboard a destroyer whose main mission was to hunt Soviet submarines to my time at the Pentagon during the Reagan years when our focus was the defeat of 'the evil empire' and to making films about Reagan's war against the Soviets and Hillary Clinton's involvement in selling uranium to them."
    • "My comments were aimed at Paul Manafort, a seasoned campaign professional with experience and knowledge of how the Russians operate. He should have known they are duplicitous, cunning and not our friends. To reiterate, those comments were not aimed at Don Jr."
    • "Everything I have to say about the ridiculous nature of the Russian 'collusion' investigation I said on my 60 Minutes interview. There was no collusion and the investigation is a witch hunt."
    • "I regret that my delay in responding to the inaccurate reporting regarding Don Jr has diverted attention from the president's historical accomplishments in the first year of his presidency."
    Yes Bannon, you are also going to have to apologize to Kushner, no way around it.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I feel like I'm mostly learning that rather than a reflection on 'how could someone like this become president' we really need to take a step back and wonder what it means that someone like this could be remotely successful and perceived as a great businessman to really anybody with a functioning brain. he doesn't appear capable in any sense.

You can get pretty far in this world if you're born into privilege, are given everything you need, and don't care if you hurt others to get what you want.

• Options

Makes you wonder how many other "great businessmen" are fuckup morons with bluster.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    So Trump sent Miller out to CNN to make a gross, ridiculous scene this morning when asked about this book so I guess he could feel better about himself and then tweet about said scene.

I wonder if he made everyone at the camp David retreat watch it.

• Options

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."

-H. L. Mencken and/or PT Barnum. Seeing some disagreement online.

Either way, Trump's only talent/skill in life has been being a conman, and at least 1/3 of the American population at all times is a mark looking to be scammed.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    TryCatcher wrote: »

snip

Yes Bannon, you are also going to have to apologize to Kushner, no way around it.

That sounds a lot like Bannon is being led to the gallows and is trying anything and everything to not be strung up.

Course, no amount of groveling at Trump's feet will stop him from tossing him under the bus.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Makes you wonder how many other "great businessmen" are fuckup morons with bluster.

Probably tons. Lacking Trump's personality disorders, they'd stay under the radar and basically just coast by.

It's just small business owners writ large really, and that's a area of the economy full of fuck ups who basically just roll on anyway, despite their dumb decisions and horrible mistakes.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    So Trump sent Miller out to CNN to make a gross, ridiculous scene this morning when asked about this book so I guess he could feel better about himself and then tweet about said scene.

I wonder if he made everyone at the camp David retreat watch it.

Just watched the clip (link). Tapper ended the interview early because he wasn’t answering any of the questions that were actually being asked, going into a 5 minutes diatribe about how great the president is and how fake the book is after every one.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular

snip

That sounds a lot like Bannon is being led to the gallows and is trying anything and everything to not be strung up.

Course, no amount of groveling at Trump's feet will stop him from tossing him under the bus.

It's almost like nobody paid attention to how Chris Christie was rewarded for groveling with absolutely nothing.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    • "Donald Trump, Jr. is both a patriot and a good man. He has been relentless in his advocacy for his father and the agenda that has helped turn our country around."
    • "My support is also unwavering for the president and his agenda — as I have shown daily in my national radio broadcasts, on the pages of Breitbart News and in speeches and appearances from Tokyo and Hong Kong to Arizona and Alabama."
    • "President Trump was the only candidate that could have taken on and defeated the Clinton apparatus. I am the only person to date to conduct a global effort to preach the message of Trump and Trumpism; and remain ready to stand in the breech for this president's efforts to make America great again."
    • "My comments about the meeting with Russian nationals came from my life experiences as a Naval officer stationed aboard a destroyer whose main mission was to hunt Soviet submarines to my time at the Pentagon during the Reagan years when our focus was the defeat of 'the evil empire' and to making films about Reagan's war against the Soviets and Hillary Clinton's involvement in selling uranium to them."
    • "My comments were aimed at Paul Manafort, a seasoned campaign professional with experience and knowledge of how the Russians operate. He should have known they are duplicitous, cunning and not our friends. To reiterate, those comments were not aimed at Don Jr."
    • "Everything I have to say about the ridiculous nature of the Russian 'collusion' investigation I said on my 60 Minutes interview. There was no collusion and the investigation is a witch hunt."
    • "I regret that my delay in responding to the inaccurate reporting regarding Don Jr has diverted attention from the president's historical accomplishments in the first year of his presidency."

There's not much I enjoy more than a self proclaimed "alpha" male having to lie down and bare his belly in a show of subservience.

I'd prefer Bannon and Trump to still be at each others' throats, but this is pretty great, too.

Zomro on
  • Options

This really gets into the disconnect between the billionaire class (or at least mega-wealthy, you could likely include centamillionaires in here too; this is also likely where Trump actually is in terms of wealth) and their hangers-on, versus everyone else. On the one hand, there is no fundamental difference in nature between these people and everyone else. What you realize being around them is that they are as likely to be duped, to be stupid, and to be irrational as anyone else. The difference is circumstantial - they don't worry about most of the day-to-day things that consume our lives. Drawing on the book, for instance, the point is made that Trump has never had to worry about how health insurance works (from any perspective, not even as an employer) and so has no insight into one of the largest issues in American politics and society. The class that Trump belongs to knows exactly who he is and has always treated him with profound unseriousness. They don't "do deals" with him if it can be avoided. A significant number of people in this class go out of their way to avoid attention, something that Trump desperately craves.

Conversely, the vast, vast majority of the rest of the population have no idea about how the billionaire class actually live and many people attribute a certain mystique to them. Some people lack an understanding of principles like the time value of money and so cannot easily perceive the difference between someone who started with $0 (or, more likely, something like someone who started with $100,000, which is effectively the same thing from the billionaire perspective but certainly isn't on the other side) and turned it into a billion dollars, and someone who started with effectively billion dollars forty years ago (roughly $250 million, adjusting for inflation) and turned it into $400 million. Trump is much closer to the latter. However, when you combine the mystique with the lack of understanding of money and then throw in a heaping helping of deliberate self-promotion of a personal brand that amounts to "I'm rich", you end up with Trump.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    If they can get Hillary Clinton to narrate the audio book it may break the internet.

Resurrecting this post because I've seen dozens of tweets today claiming she is, but the only source I can pin down is a satirical website called the Pastiche Times, so don't get all excited when you see the headlines doing the rounds on social media. The internet shall remain intact for the moment.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    If they can get Hillary Clinton to narrate the audio book it may break the internet.

Resurrecting this post because I've seen dozens of tweets today claiming she is, but the only source I can pin down is a satirical website called the Pastiche Times, so don't get all excited when you see the headlines doing the rounds on social media. The internet shall remain intact for the moment.

Me externally: of course, it's just a silly internet meme

Me internally:

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Seriously though, if she did actually do that then she'd be well advised to stay outside of the US for a couple of years.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Honestly it's shitty, but the best thing Hillary can do for the Dems is to stay out of the public eye. Her image among conservatives and moderates alike is thoroughly ruined. The worst thing she could do is gloat about Trump's problems.

• Options
    Zek wrote: »
    Honestly it's shitty, but the best thing Hillary can do for the Dems is to stay out of the public eye. Her image among conservatives and moderates alike is thoroughly ruined. The worst thing she could do is gloat about Trump's problems.

Her book makes it clear that she knows it's time for the next generation to step up