As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deus Ex - It Is Better To Reign In Hell Than To Serve In Heaven

LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
deusexpcbr4.jpg
Set in a dystopian world during the 2050s, the main storyline follows rookie "United Nations Anti-Terrorist Coalition" (UNATCO) agent JC Denton as he sets out to combat terrorist forces which have become increasingly prevalent in a world slipping ever closer to chaos. As the plot unfolds, he becomes increasingly immersed in a deep and ancient conspiracy, encountering fictional versions of groups such as Majestic 12, the Illuminati, and Hong Kong Triad gangs along the way. Ultimately, Denton comes to discover the truth about this conspiracy, and its ultimate goal of world domination.

800pxbruteforceri9.jpg

Gameplay in Deus Ex is largely open-ended. GameSpot's review explains the various options available to the player. "Deus Ex is quite long for an action-packed first-person game", it states, "but even so, most of its situations present you with two or three possible solutions."Objectives can be completed in numerous ways, including stealth (akin to Thief), long-range sniping, heavy frontal assault, dialogue, or engineering and computer hacking. This level of freedom requires that levels, characters, and puzzles be designed with significant redundancy, as a single play-through of the game will miss large sections of dialogue, areas, and other content. Because of this open-endedness, Deus Ex is often compared with System Shock, one of the first FPS/CRPG hybrids. Together, these factors give the game a great degree of replayability, as the player will have vastly different experiences depending on which methods he or she uses to accomplish objectives.

Deus Ex is unusual among first-person shooters in that it can be played almost entirely without the use of simulated violence; in fact, it is possible for a player to complete the game having killed only one major character and few or no generic enemies.

dxinventoryud3.jpg

I am about to start my semi-yearly replay of Deus Ex, one of my favourite games ever, and it should get me warmed up for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. which I will be playing after a graphics card upgrade. I have allways played it without any modification, but does anyone know of any mods along the lines of SS2's SHTUP to prettify it?

Other than that, discuss how awesome deus ex is.

LewieP on

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    when i've completed Stalker for a second time, i think i might install this and finally get around to completing it. Thanks for reminding me!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Shifter mod?

I've played Deus Ex through three times but I don't think I've ever put a point in Environmental suits. If I play again, I vow to max out environmental suits - that stat looks so lonely, tucked in there with all the other useful talents.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's always awesome to pick a "Theme" and play through the game with it. Like a ninja run, where you only get throwing knives and a sword, and need to use stealth to dispatch your foes. Or Riot Guard, where you use pepper spray, gas grenades, and the baton to safely remove threats. In these situations the use of cheats to keep your specialized ammo up is acceptable.

Also, obligatory Sunglasses at Night.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Shifter mod?

I've played Deus Ex through three times but I don't think I've ever put a point in Environmental suits. If I play again, I vow to max out environmental suits - that stat looks so lonely, tucked in there with all the other useful talents.

At least it has Swimming to keep it company.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Fuck. Every time this thread pops up, I (and many others) feel an immense urge to replay it.

This thread pops up every month too. And right now, it's exam week. DAMN YOU, OP!
    Not really.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Long as we're talking mods...

Shifter - Humble ruleset change, or kickass mod that adds a skillpoints-for-kills/stealth system, a ton of new weapons and features, and an upgraded augmentation system? You decide! (It's both, actually.)

Zodiac - Campaign featuring, among other things, a crazy spinoff plot from the main storyline as Paul Denton. Pros: Tightly scripted, good level design, more overall DX goodness. Cons: Some solutions are irritatingly hard to find, augs are woefully underused.

Redsun2020 - Campaign featuring, among other things, a mutant what-if plot taking a conveniently amnesiac UNATCO agent and dropping him in the middle of a Yakuza war. Pros: Good level design, great action setpieces, nifty unique music. Cons: Scripting flaws abound and the dialog is weak for the most part.

Burden of 80 Proof - Far, far away from the DX world; centers around a poor, penniless programmer trying to scrounge up enough cash to buy beer for a weekend getaway. Pros: Surprisingly well written, ace scripting and some genuinely fun gameplay. Cons: Short.

Hotel Carone - Alternate take on what happens after the Lebedev mission, wherein JC tries to kick the NSF out of the titular hotel. Pros: Basically a Rainbow Six mission, DX-style, huuuuuuuge levels, neat remix of the NDA ending track. Cons: Unstable, prone to crashing around the warehouse area.

All that aside, DX blah blah favoritest game fucking ever et cetera et cetera infatuated with Warren Spector. An excellent game that I will never truly get tired of playing :^:

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Lork wrote: »

I think I just shit my pants.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    ForgottenVariableForgottenVariable Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've never played Deus Ex, should I bother tracking it down and trying it out? I just fear I won't be able to get past its lack of graphical prowess.

ForgottenVariable on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've never played Deus Ex, should I bother tracking it down and trying it out? I just fear I won't be able to get past its lack of graphical prowess.

Yes, you can find it for like five dollars and you will easily be able to get past it.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    YES.

It's on Steam, so it shouldn't be hard to find at all.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Alright, I'm considering the steam version, but I have a few questions (actually, just one question):

Does that high res texture pack work with the steam version?

ForgottenVariable on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh you son of a bitch Lewiep

Reinstalling now.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zealous OneZealous One Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ah, so many good memories...never did try any mods for it though.

Heh, funny about the environmental suits...there's also plenty of augs that seem to get no love. I mean, did anyone pick "Run Silent" over the speed/jumping ("Legs") upgrade? It made it so much easier to escape from buildings when you can just jump off the tenth story and take moderate damage rather than working your way down the whole place...

Zealous One on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Alright, I bought the thing off steam, is there anything I need to know before I jump in?

ForgottenVariable on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Alright, I'm considering the steam version, but I have a few questions (actually, just one question):

Mods for other games available on Steam have worked, so there's no reason why they wouldn't.

Maybe I'm biased (I prefer normal HL1 over HL:Source) but if you can't play through Deus Ex at least once before using a texture upgrade pack... man, it's not that old of a game.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Mods for other games available on Steam have worked, so there's no reason why they wouldn't.

Maybe I'm biased (I prefer normal HL1 over HL:Source) but if you can't play through Deus Ex at least once before using a texture upgrade pack... man, it's not that old of a game.

Well, it's not that I can't stand the sort of thing (I still enjoy Typing of the Dead and that game has some hideous 3D), I just want the game to look the best it can.

ForgottenVariable on
  • Options
    MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I'll never understand this. I guess I must be one of the few who can play a game regardless of how it looks.

Masonite on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Alright, I bought the thing off steam, is there anything I need to know before I jump in?

I found stealth to be largely non-optional, you gotta at least try to do it, or you will get pretty fucked up.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Well, it's not that I can't stand the sort of thing (I still enjoy Typing of the Dead and that game has some hideous 3D), I just want the game to look the best it can.

Trust me, just play it as is once through (you'll be able to do max settings easily).

On your next playthrough, do a texture upgrade.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Trust me, just play it as is once through (you'll be able to do max settings easily).

On your next playthrough, do a texture upgrade.

Alright, I'll try it.

On a slightly different topic, how can I set the resolution above 1280x960? My LCD's native is 1280x1024, and things look absolutely terrible below that. :(

EDIT: Never mind, figured that out. Is there any way to make the HUD a bit smaller? It kinda dominates the player view atm.

ForgottenVariable on
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Shifter and HDTP look good. Good thing they're cross-compatible. I'll have to make a point of replaying DX again when they finish HDTP later this year.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I played a Pistols Only run earlier this year, which caused me to encounter one of the more irritating flaws in the game: As it progresses, pistol ammo becomes exceedingly rare.

Also, I finished DX:IW a few weeks ago. Disappointing, but not as terrible as some folks would have you believe.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »

I found stealth to be largely non-optional, you gotta at least try to do it, or you will get pretty fucked up.

This is definitely true at the beginning. Later, if you get the right augmentations and upgrades, you won't have trouble with most grunts (although it's still easiest to sneak up and whack them with a melee weapon or shoot them in the head).

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I played a Pistols Only run earlier this year, which caused me to encounter one of the more irritating flaws in the game: As it progresses, pistol ammo becomes exceedingly rare.

When I played through the game, I found myself switching between weapons depending on what ammo I was finding. I kept around a modded out starting pistol for the entire game because of the times when rifle ammo was scaracer.
    Also, I finished DX:IW a few weeks ago. Disappointing, but not as terrible as some folks would have you believe.

On its own, it can be a decent game, even good at times. But that's still far short of the original. Also, I hate exploding enemies. I actually wound up mainly using melee in IW despite not going that route in the original mostly because there were actually augmentations that boosted your melee abilities while ranged prowess remained static. Finding out that power armor exploded was unpleasant, especially with no riot prod equivalent to prevent them from exploding.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I am not reading this thread. In fact I am not going to reinstall Deus Ex.

Because I do it every fucking time a DX thread shows up and I shall be damned if I'm doing it again
    Okay, I am reinstalling it. You Bastards!

Duchess Prozac on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My only com;laint is this game gets laughably easy in the later levels if you take the right augs.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I want to get full Arms and full Legs my next playthrough.

Leap forty feet in the air and drop a huge fucking crate on people. YES.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Actually I never found much use for the strength aug. You can move a huge crate out of the way of an alternate route in Hell's Kitchen and another in Hong Kong but really, besides picking up a metal crate and using it as a shield, what else could you do?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Fuck, now I have to reinstall it and find my saves. This game always crashes for me in HK.

... you bastards...

muninn on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Stupid topic, I can't find my discs. Curses and drat.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Magicawe wrote: »
    Stupid topic, I can't find my discs. Curses and drat.
    hanging on to my system shock 2 and DX disks have been the best things I ever did (cant run SS2 tho on my xp machine :( )

muninn on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Deus Ex is the most important game I've ever played.

I can honestly say that it's still ahead of its time.

Kami on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Actually I never found much use for the strength aug. You can move a huge crate out of the way of an alternate route in Hell's Kitchen and another in Hong Kong but really, besides picking up a metal crate and using it as a shield, what else could you do?

You can kill people by dropping office couches on them. This can be a disadvantage if you accidentally click on a couch in the UNATCO offices.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The hell??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H13T4rJFJ4

I was looking for a video that might have the tune that plays during the main menu/title screen.

EDIT: Aha! http://jadiepoo.com/dx/OST/

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Dude, do you not see the awesomness potential of carrying a huge crate around, seeing through it wtih your X-Ray eyes, and smashing everything with it?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Dude, do you not see the awesomness potential of carrying a huge crate around, seeing through it wtih your X-Ray eyes, and smashing everything with it?

I'd much rather put those eight augs into demolitions - have a guard walk into a gas mine and then, while he's wiping his eyes, place LAMs around his feet so he's dead if he runs in any direction.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So, uh, this game is really fun, though I'm only at the park in NYC.

Have I made a mistake by upgrading my pistol with those weapon things? I noticed someone mentioned pistol ammo becomes scarce later on.

ForgottenVariable on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So, uh, this game is really fun, though I'm only at the park in NYC.

Have I made a mistake by upgrading my pistol with those weapon things? I noticed someone mentioned pistol ammo becomes scarce later on.

If you don't try to only use one weapon throughout the game, it won't be a problem. The previous poster was doing a specific pistol only run.

The starting pistol remained useful for me throughout the whole game. It actually packs decent power and can be scoped for a makeshift sniping weapon. I frequently used it as a backup weapon if a shotgun or assault rifle ran out of ammo midfight since it hit hard enough to finish whatever I was dealing with.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Another thing that everybody should get: DXGLR - a drop in replacement for the OpenGL renderer that fixes a few bugs and greatly improves the quality of the lighting over the Direct3D renderer which everybody is using right now (because the default OpenGL renderer sucks).

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork