Options

Deus Ex - It Is Better To Reign In Hell Than To Serve In Heaven

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Eela6 wrote: »
    Yeah. Anna Navare is a bitch.
    Isn't she the only person in the game you eventually MUST kill?

Uhm...
    Gunther?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I killed Anna easily by leading her to the cockpit/chart room of the plane. There's a table in the center of the room and it's very helpful shielding you against her self-destruct. I killed her with the SMG though I imagine a lucky shot caught her in the head. It's also possible to save Paul if you have at least three gas grenades and good timing.
    To save Paul, just stand in the hallway and "die" first.

?!? You're kidding. The game is rewarding you for failure?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Eela6 wrote: »
    You do know that you can kill Anna Navare and still have Lebedev alive, right? He's taken into custody by UNATCO, Tech dude freaks out, your commander guy bitches at you. He's eventually killed by UNATCO, but you don't find it out for a little while. It's interesting, because (I don't remember quite right) I think you get a little optional conversation with it after. Tricky timing, though. Basically, you want to trigger her going "no, I will kill him", back the fuck out and GEP gun her so that Lebedev is out of the radius.

Yeah. Anna Navare is a bitch.
    Isn't she the only person in the game you eventually MUST kill?
    You have to kill that guy at the nuke silo in order to beat that mission. Hugo Strong or something.

Other than that? Technically it's possible to knock Anna out or exploit certain bugs in the game to get out of UNATCO without killing her, but the game regards her as dead anyhow.

I didn't know you could kill Anna without killing Lebedev. Even with your explanation, I'm not sure how you managed to kill her with a GEP round without killing Lebedev in the process.
    If you leave Anna alive, Gunther won't bitch at you for killing her, and when he confronts you in Paris, he thanks you for it and says he wouldn't kill you if his superiors hadn't strongly urged him to.
    Coincidently, it's possible to avoid killing Gunther as well, and it's not even that hard - you just have to utilize the fact that the AI won't shoot you while you're using a computer.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Lork wrote: »
    Coincidently, it's possible to avoid killing Gunther as well, and it's not even that hard - you just have to utilize the fact that the AI won't shoot you while you're using a computer.
    There are a few glitches like that, that they apparently chose to leave in after patches, like how if you pause the game, whilst using a lockpick or multitool, it carries on doing the task whilst paused, so essentially, you can use one lockpick/multitool to do a task that would normally take more than one.

Or another one, straight from Warren Spector himself
    The example that the team talked about most frequently, was that we had these objects called LAMs that were explosives that you could attach to walls. These were physical objects in the world that had size and mass, and what we figured was that you'd attach it to a wall and it would blow up when something comes near it. You detonate it or shoot it. What we didn't anticipate is that a player figured out that you could put one on the wall, jump up onto it because it was a physical object, and then put another one up and jump onto it, creating a ladder and letting him get to where we didn't intend. No one at Ion Storm thought of that, or planned it, but the fact that we simulated it deeply enough allowed players to create solutions to the problems we created.

the whole interview is great actually, if you are at all intrested in game design/Warren Spectors games

LewieP on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I killed Anna easily by leading her to the cockpit/chart room of the plane. There's a table in the center of the room and it's very helpful shielding you against her self-destruct. I killed her with the SMG though I imagine a lucky shot caught her in the head. It's also possible to save Paul if you have at least three gas grenades and good timing.

It's rewarding you for making a valiant stand at great personal risk.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

It's rewarding you for making a valiant stand at great personal risk.
    From what I remember from the last thread, to "save" Paul, you have to leave the room from the front door, not out the window. The idea was that you either stayed with him to make a last stand or escape while he keeps them busy. If you manage to kill/knock out all of the troops in the hotel (I actually managed to K-O them all with no fatalities. I'm crazy like that) and still leave through the window, Paul dies. However, if you just burst out the front door and manage to survive 30 baddies shooting at you, he'll live (I think). It doesn't matter much though. If you "die" here, you get captured and imprisoned, and if you manage to escape, your only exit route is through the subway, where you'll meet Gunther and be captured anyway.

I think that's how it goes. Might be wrong though. On my first playthrough I ended up with a dead brother after I cleared out the hotel and climbed out the window to more easily knock out the enemies outside.

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What difficulty are you people playing on? Playing as the tremendous bad ass I always inevitably end up doing I just get out there and start capping fools with sniper rifle of awesome.
    You pop the first MIB in the head to take out the guys at the door and then finish them up with the assault rifle. Crash out into the haul, stay low and pop the sniper in the head (helps to tazer him then shoot him at point blank) then you just spend the rest of the fight with bullet resist on (and some med packs) popping guys with the sniper rifle till you run out of ammo - then switch to the SMG and so on and so forth until everyone is dead.

You know I'm right - there is no other acceptable option then for you to destroy a small army rescuing your brother.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    SirNickSirNick Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What difficulty are you people playing on? Playing as the tremendous bad ass I always inevitably end up doing I just get out there and start capping fools with sniper rifle of awesome.
    You pop the first MIB in the head to take out the guys at the door and then finish them up with the assault rifle. Crash out into the haul, stay low and pop the sniper in the head (helps to tazer him then shoot him at point blank) then you just spend the rest of the fight with bullet resist on (and some med packs) popping guys with the sniper rifle till you run out of ammo - then switch to the SMG and so on and so forth until everyone is dead.

You know I'm right - there is no other acceptable option then for you to destroy a small army rescuing your brother.

Apparently playing on "Realistic" is actually less difficult than the "Hard" difficulty. Reason being, on Hard the enemies have jacked up health and do more damage, but on Realistic, you die in like two bullets, but so do the enemies. Since, y'know, it's realistic for both of you.

A nice touch.

SirNick on
  • Options
    DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It doesn't matter much though. If you "die" here, you get captured and imprisoned, and if you manage to escape, your only exit route is through the subway, where you'll meet Gunther and be captured anyway.
    I dunno why, but I always try to avoid getting captured - even though I know it's inevitable. I actually managed to avoid Gunther and get out of the subway into Battery Park during one game, but it turns out the place is patrolled by a gazillion-and-one police-bots. And they're indestructable.

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    oh man

one time i got gunther and the police bots into a big fight.

it was pretty epic.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Damn you, damn you all to hell. As if my backlog wasn't enough, this goddamn thread made me download Steam for the first time, and christen the damn thing with Deus Ex. It better be as good as you all make it out to be!

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Damn you, damn you all to hell. As if my backlog wasn't enough, this goddamn thread made me download Steam for the first time, and christen the damn thing with Deus Ex. It better be as good as you all make it out to be!

It is. I've played it ... what? Five times now? And I've loved it every single time.

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think Deus Ex may be my favorite gaming experience.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Clevinger wrote: »
    I think Deus Ex may be my favorite gaming experience.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Somebody in an earlier thread had a great idea for limiting yourself: "Weapons and equipment are OSP (On Site Procurement)." You start every mission with an empty inventory and must find any items you need in the immediate area. Basically, you throw away your entire inventory any time you get into a vehicle. I've been trying it out myself and I just got to Hong Kong; it's some of the most fun I've had in years.

It provides a very interesting challenge and requires a little creative thinking sometimes, but it's also liberating in a way. I'm free to use all the valuable items that I would perpetually save for later in a normal playthrough, not to mention all the not-so-useful items that I would normally skip because they weren't as good as my modded out pistol, like those plasma pistol things - or pepper spray. I highly recommend it, especially to fellow packrats.

I'll have to remember that in the event I do another playthrough.

It might suck to lose my weapon augs, but on the other hand it would probably force me to depend on my cybernetic augs instead.

subedii on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    subedii wrote: »
    Somebody in an earlier thread had a great idea for limiting yourself: "Weapons and equipment are OSP (On Site Procurement)." You start every mission with an empty inventory and must find any items you need in the immediate area. Basically, you throw away your entire inventory any time you get into a vehicle. I've been trying it out myself and I just got to Hong Kong; it's some of the most fun I've had in years.

It provides a very interesting challenge and requires a little creative thinking sometimes, but it's also liberating in a way. I'm free to use all the valuable items that I would perpetually save for later in a normal playthrough, not to mention all the not-so-useful items that I would normally skip because they weren't as good as my modded out pistol, like those plasma pistol things - or pepper spray. I highly recommend it, especially to fellow packrats.

I'll have to remember that in the event I do another playthrough.

It might suck to lose my weapon augs, but on the other hand it would probably force me to depend on my cybernetic augs instead.

That sounds like fun, actually. One thing I liked about Deus Ex was the opportunities for being resourceful. I played the Liberty Island demo to death when it first came out, just exploring the myriad opportunities for completing the level (that demo impressed me to no end incidentally. At the time it was a huge offering for a mere demo - I could hardly believe that there was more to the game beyond the demo, especially when they released a second, equally huge demo of the second level soon afterwards). I think starting from scratch for each level might be a refreshing way to encourage further resourcefulness.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Uh... hate to break this to ya, bud, but Paul's survival depends entirely on how you make your exit.
    If you leave the 'Ton by the window, he dies.

If you leave by the front door, he lives.

Edit: Whoops, looks like someone else has pointed this out.
    That sounds like a cool idea. I might try it next time I play DX.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    A few words of advice for anyone attempting the OSP run:
    Don't leave Battery Park before you've been through the castle. If you do, Navarre will do it instead of you. Also, I only found one article of food in the entire park, so make sure you don't waste any if you find it. As far as I know, the only way to get in without using a ton of multitools (which you don't have) is to give some food to that kid by the secret entrance.

Lork on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I just brought some potato chips to the kid I had carried over from the first level.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I just brought some potato chips to the kid I had carried over from the first level.

Well, that doesn't fit in with OSP, now does it?

(I would have done the same; potato chips don't count.).

Daedalus on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    I played the sequel but never played the original. I enjoyed it, but I've been told that I really should play the first one.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Well, that doesn't fit in with OSP, now does it?

(I would have done the same; potato chips don't count.).
    But that's just as bad as bringing over weapons! Whether you're taking a rocket launcher or a bag of chips with you is irrelevant; they're both tools that can be used further your own ends. The idea is to use your improvisational skills and knowledge of the game world to make up for your initial lack of them.

Lork on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I played the sequel but never played the original. I enjoyed it, but I've been told that I really should play the first one.

You really should play the first one.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    You're very lucky to have played the sequel first. I wish I could erase my memory of them and play them in reverse order.

Lork on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    SirNick wrote: »

Apparently playing on "Realistic" is actually less difficult than the "Hard" difficulty. Reason being, on Hard the enemies have jacked up health and do more damage, but on Realistic, you die in like two bullets, but so do the enemies. Since, y'know, it's realistic for both of you.

A nice touch.
    See, more games need that kind of difficulty setting. Fuck being a walking fortress, I want all my bullets to count.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »

A nice touch.
    See, more games need that kind of difficulty setting. Fuck being a walking fortress, I want all my bullets to count.

Have you played Stalker?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »

A nice touch.

Have you played Stalker?
    I've had my eyes on it for quite a while but I think I need to upgrade before trying it.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I played the sequel for like 20 minutes. Man, easily one of the greatest let downs in sequel history. Just ripped out all of the good in the original, and stuffed it with generic shooter cliches.

The original is one of the best FPS/RPG's ever, and I wish the team that made that made an actual ShadowRun RPG.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    WallyWally Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I did, it was awesome. After playing though it I think MaGuyver mode might be a better name since sometimes you're saving the world with a knife and a packet of soy food. Made me really wish the game had hand to hand fighting.

Wally on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Motherfuckers. I bloody love this game, and now I'm going to have to rebuy it from Steam bacause I can't find my discs.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    WallyWally Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    A few words of advice for anyone attempting the OSP run:
    Don't leave Battery Park before you've been through the castle. If you do, Navarre will do it instead of you. Also, I only found one article of food in the entire park, so make sure you don't waste any if you find it. As far as I know, the only way to get in without using a ton of multitools (which you don't have) is to give some food to that kid by the secret entrance.

Also, pick up everything, those flares will come in handy when you have to distract guards while you're weaponless.

Wally on
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Why rebuy it from Steam when it's probably much cheaper elsewhere?

Zell on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Syeam version is more convenien, doesn't require the disc etc.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I just started playing it again for the like 5th time. Mostly because I noticed it was on Gametap as I flipping through it looking for something to keep me entertained one saturday morning. The sequals on there too, think I may try it out just to see how bad it really is compared to the original

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    Motherfuckers. I bloody love this game, and now I'm going to have to rebuy it from Steam bacause I owned it on the Mac before.

Fixed for me. DLing it now. I bought the GOTY + IW pack, because I guess I ought to play IW some time.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So, now that I see that the GOTY edition is on Steam, I have a question. When I would install Deus Ex on my old computer, which was slightly worse than the one I have now, it seemed as though my computer was actually... too good to run it. All of the animations and cinematic sequences would be much too fast, thus dialogue and such wouldn't sync, and it basically rendered the thing unplayable.

I take it I wouldn't have such issues from purchasing the GOTY from Steam?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You know what should be put up on Steam?

Old Lucasarts adventure games.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

And System Shock 2. I've never played it, and I keep hearing it's good in the same breath as praise for Deus Ex.

If they could make it run on XP and put it on Steam, that'd be great.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

YES

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Vincent, System Shock 2 runs perfectly in XP if you have some very basic patience trying to get it to.

Zeromus, I really doubt a Steam version would work better with the exception of copy protection issues (which is a big issue with System Shock 2, but not Deus Ex), I think the problem you're describing is just a dual core issue, set Deus Ex to use one cpu in task manager.

Zell on