As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I don't really wanna do the work today [Job Thread]

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2018
    I am working on my birthday today.

Should be a paid holiday for me!

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I debated booking my birthday off this year but its my first work day back after a ten day break. Seemed like a waste of 12 hrs of vacation

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I debated booking my birthday off this year but its my first work day back after a ten day break. Seemed like a waste of 12 hrs of vacation

That was part of my reasoning for not taking my birthday last Wednesday. That plus my vacation time is this week.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    in case you were curious about this stuff, as i was: http://hrwatchdog.calchamber.com/2017/12/tax-reform-impact-employers-employees/

poo
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

Happy Birthday!

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Me and my boss talked about having a big update meeting that would be today earlier this week

He didn't schedule it at the time so I hopeful he decided not to but last night he sent out a meeting invite

Last meeting before the break the ceo chewed on the managers for not having progress done and I was not 100% prepared and I did not want to be chewed out before going to SouthPAX.

So I'm dreading all morning, doing the best last minute preparations and cyma I can do and I go into the meeting room a few minutes early, pass some people who are supposed to be in the meeting but are doing other tasks.

so go, huh that's weird no one else is here. Check the meeting the invite: it is for monday.

I am so relieved. and now I just want to fuck off all day.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Due to the very superstitious nature of teachers I will use code words.
    Tonight it will start raining. The temperature will plummet and the rain will turn to snow by over lots of ice at 2 am with high winds and snow continuing through to 9 am.

These are all in the golden zone for schools to call for an "event that shall not be named" resulting in me sleeping in tomorrow.

Sacrifices and offerings are being made in teacher plan areas in my school. The bonus is that tomorrow night is 8th grade open house, which we all dislike, so that wouldn't happen either.

Don't want to jinx it.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    I read that as library shitter and was wondering if there was a secret epidemic of library shittings

based on the stories of the one public librarian I know, yes.

(it correlates with the local homeless population's situation is)

On this subject, we recently caught the individual we'd come to know as The Phantom Pooper. Lady would go into the bathroom and plaster the entire stall, sinks, and mirror with poop, then somehow wash up and leave with no sign of having ever been in such intimate contact with such copious amounts of feces, all in the span of about three Minutes. She wasn’t homeless and from my previous experiences interacting with her I wouldn't have pined her for it, but she very clearly needs help and I really hope she gets it..

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Due to the very superstitious nature of teachers I will use code words.
    Tonight it will start raining. The temperature will plummet and the rain will turn to snow by over lots of ice at 2 am with high winds and snow continuing through to 9 am.

These are all in the golden zone for schools to call for an "event that shall not be named" resulting in me sleeping in tomorrow.

Sacrifices and offerings are being made in teacher plan areas in my school. The bonus is that tomorrow night is 8th grade open house, which we all dislike, so that wouldn't happen either.

Don't want to jinx it.

When I was in high school we would do soda libations into the toilet to pray to the gods for such an event.

We were a weird group of kids.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Another day of no work due to rain. Sunny today though so hopefully things dry out and work tomorrow?

Time to pound through my steam backlog I guess.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @timspork's ghost

I shall instruct my sister to do her appropriately-themed dance of meteorological supplication.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    chromdom wrote: »

Happy Birthday!

Thanks but no!

I'm old enough already!

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Random fire alarm!
    Everyone looked like they couldn't have cared any less. In addition to everyone putting on our coats, some people grabbed their laptops.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Just had a girl have a seizure in my class. She's ok and the nurse took her and she woke up but I had to lay her back (she was hunched over in her chair) and wanted to make sure she was breathing.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Hell yeah, converted my phone interview from last Thursday into an interview for tomorrow!
    Skype. Interview. Oh dear.
    Wish me luck!

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Random fire alarm!
    Everyone looked like they couldn't have cared any less. In addition to everyone putting on our coats, some people grabbed their laptops.

Grad students will be the first to die. "Fuck off fire alarm, I am NOT setting this experiment up again" "ohhhhno, THIS little hard drive went wee- wee-wee with me, after a proper disconnect, after saving open files."

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

Happy Birthday!

Thanks but no!

I'm old enough already!

Aww... :( Well, I hope you have a good day and get another day off with pay to make up for working.... today... a perfectly normal day with no specialness attached to it at all

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Phone interview that was done in 10 minutes without many questions asked, bleh. They're already conducting interviews so on the plus side I guess I'll hear back soon enough.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I read that as library shitter and was wondering if there was a secret epidemic of library shittings

based on the stories of the one public librarian I know, yes.

(it correlates with the local homeless population's situation is)

On this subject, we recently caught the individual we'd come to know as The Phantom Pooper. Lady would go into the bathroom and plaster the entire stall, sinks, and mirror with poop, then somehow wash up and leave with no sign of having ever been in such intimate contact with such copious amounts of feces, all in the span of about three Minutes. She wasn’t homeless and from my previous experiences interacting with her I wouldn't have pined her for it, but she very clearly needs help and I really hope she gets it..

We always called ours The Poopetrator.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    This morning got woke up early by work with a fire that ultimately was the result of a thing I had already identified as an issue on another system and had been assured they had already fixed it elsewhere. Then the pet daycare was late picking up the Dobie for her play day, and then the crotch of my pants ripped on the way out the door. Ugh. Then to top it off after I changed pants I realized I had lost enough weight that there was no longer a viable hole on my belt that would work to cinch it tight. So I had to make a new hole on my belt with my knife and the finally get out the door. This day needs to get its shit together.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Material selection did not see Fire and Fury coming. We got 14 copies for the entire system, and there are already 300 holds. Which is about a 16-month wait, assuming we can't get our hands on any more copies.

Although I guess you could just get it on ebook instead, where the wait is only about four and a half months.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    How do you rent an ebook? Do you give them a code that lasts for x amount of time?

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    How do you rent an ebook? Do you give them a code that lasts for x amount of time?

Licenses

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    They've now fenced off almost the entire front of the school for construction even though those parts are getting built last, sometime next year. This is right where the buses pick up and unload every day.

It is going to be a shitshow of epic proportions.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    littlewrenlittlewren Registered User regular
    You know those time lapse scenes in movies where a person sits there staring dreamily off into space while everything around them goes to hell in a hand basket? That's me at work this week anticipating PAXSouth.

The flu has been raging its way through the office and everyone and their children are getting sick and things are slipping through the cracks in their respective absences and I'm just over here like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. That's a problem for Tuesday Wren who will be riding the Post-PAX high.

Y48pkDN.jpg?1
    Twitter: @LittleWren42
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    GDPR is a good thing for the world but

it is gonna make job a lot harder

blergh

poo
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Licenses

Yea, my local library uses Overdrive which directly links to Amazon and just downloads a book right to my kindle and once it expires it is no longer readable. Actually kinda swanky.

From what I understand, it's actually kind of stupid from the library side of things with them actually buying a number of rentals or something.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    OK, so we have this dev company who we want to help us set up a website. I laid out in pretty detailed writing what we wanted, and during our first conversation they told me they were estimating it'd take around 30 hours on the safe side

They asked for a mockup and I MSPainted what I wrote, not adding anything new

Just had a new meeting... and now the estimate is 60+ hours??

I just... wha... huh? God I don't have the expertise to know what to do (namely a) I don't negotiate contracts and b) I only have the most basic knowledge of computery-developery shit) but I really doubt my teeny nonprofit org will authorize that

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Madican wrote: »

Licenses

Yea, my local library uses Overdrive which directly links to Amazon and just downloads a book right to my kindle and once it expires it is no longer readable. Actually kinda swanky.

From what I understand, it's actually kind of stupid from the library side of things with them actually buying a number of rentals or something.

So.

Some publishers have a set number of checkouts (around 25). Once that is reached the library has to buy a new copy.
    Some publishers have infinite checkouts for a specific date range, usually 6 months or a year. After that the library has to buy a new copy.
    Some publishers have infinite checkouts forever but the book is about ten times more expensive.

All of these options are usually more expensive per copy than a hardcover copy that includes the processing fees (labeling, barcoding, MARC records, protective cover)

Also these are all for one single copy of the book that only one person can read at a time. For popular books a library would need to buy multiple digital copies so more than one person can read it at once.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    OK, so we have this dev company who we want to help us set up a website. I laid out in pretty detailed writing what we wanted, and during our first conversation they told me they were estimating it'd take around 30 hours on the safe side

I just... wha... huh? God I don't have the expertise to know what to do (namely a) I don't negotiate contracts and b) I only have the most basic knowledge of computery-developery shit) but I really doubt my teeny nonprofit org will authorize that

Is it something you plan to go in and edit on the regular with notepad to change the front page post?

Or do you need a really customized wordpress blog-style thing?

You could probably whip up something with a wordpress template instead, but 30 hours is "on the safe side" if you've got a team of people working on a wordpress theme and getting it all set up for you.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    THEY REPLACED THE INTERNET FILTER!

Holy shit I can actually come to this forum without having to bypass the filter every five minutes!

Also I can get on Netflix, which I don't think I'm supposed to be able to.

• Options
    Put it in terms of an 8 hour day, 30 hours is "I had Julie work on your website for 3ish days"

It isn't really a ton of time, but it deffo adds up quick and most people don't realize how much time goes into setting up a website. 30 hours seems fair from what you're describing.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I remember back in the day when they had filters at my high school. You could get around them by putting in the IP address of whatever site you wanted to go to. I assume filters are a bit more comprehensive these days.

IP address only works if the vhost on the webserver is set up to accept and direct for that IP address.

That is a good way to get around filters now... however, a lot of websites use shared hosting and that won't necessarily work for them. It won't even necessarily work for people who have dedicated hosting either.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    bowen wrote: »

Is it something you plan to go in and edit on the regular with notepad to change the front page post?

Or do you need a really customized wordpress blog-style thing?

You could probably whip up something with a wordpress template instead, but 30 hours is "on the safe side" if you've got a team of people working on a wordpress theme and getting it all set up for you.

The key thing is we want some website integration with data we have in Salesforce (we want to set up a place where volunteers can sign up for their sessions, and see their volunteering history, which would hopefully spur them to volunteer more--all of this is tracked in Salesforce). We have an existing website and I understand that part of the issue is taking over from someone else's work, but it's a very basic templated website and this would be for a whole side that isn't connected to the rest of it.

I don't doubt it takes time to set this up, but doubling (nearly tripling--one of the people in the first meeting said he thought it was doable in 20ish hours) the first estimate I think pushes this into impossible to authorize territory

Put it in terms of an 8 hour day, 30 hours is "I had Julie work on your website for 3ish days"

It isn't really a ton of time, but it deffo adds up quick and most people don't realize how much time goes into setting up a website. 30 hours seems fair from what you're describing.

30 made sense! Heck I dunno, 60 may make sense given the Salesforce stuff? I don't know enough to say, but the people have to OK this will definitely not know enough to say aside from I think a NOPE so fast I'll feel it physically

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    Yeah 60 seems maybe a bit on the low side there now that you mention that sort of integration.

Maybe not though, I'm not sure of the intricacies in it, but it's not outlandish either.

• Options
    It sucks, because those features would be awesome

I mostly just have frowny faces for getting my hopes up during the first meeting, I guess. :P Alas...

signature.png
  • Options
    It sucks, because those features would be awesome

I mostly just have frowny faces for getting my hopes up during the first meeting, I guess. :P Alas...

https://developer.salesforce.com/page/PHP_Toolkit_13.0_Getting_Started

Might be something you can do if you're familiar enough with php and programming, just tossing that out there.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I remember back in the day when they had filters at my high school. You could get around them by putting in the IP address of whatever site you wanted to go to. I assume filters are a bit more comprehensive these days.

IP address only works if the vhost on the webserver is set up to accept and direct for that IP address.

That is a good way to get around filters now... however, a lot of websites use shared hosting and that won't necessarily work for them. It won't even necessarily work for people who have dedicated hosting either.

Any good filter is categorizing IP addresses, either directly or by using DNS.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Coworker has crashed his second car in a year. He claims he was driving a random drunk guy home, as a Good Samaritan thing, when the guy yanked his arm and caused him to crash. Same guy fled into the darkness before the cops showed up. He doesn’t seem too interested in finding this mysterious drunk guy.

I’ve watched too many COPS and Judge Judy episodes to accept it at face value.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Coworker has crashed his second car in a year. He claims he was driving a random drunk guy home, as a Good Samaritan thing, when the guy yanked his arm and caused him to crash. Same guy fled into the darkness before the cops showed up. He doesn’t seem too interested in finding this mysterious drunk guy.

I’ve watched too many COPS and Judge Judy episodes to accept it at face value.

Are there no deer where you live?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
This discussion has been closed.