As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [YouTube thread] steamed hams is banned

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Incoming two hour video about bad movies and worse eschatology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRxN1DXmSdA

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Happy new TierZoo day, everyone!

https://youtu.be/vyLl3K3R8Xk

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    The fact that the president is fat is the least of the problems with him.

I'll take Taft over Trump any day, and that dude was hella fat.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I sense acute testosterone poisoning.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    *makes a long, low grumbling sound of disapproval*

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

I'm quoting myself because this one's actually kind of good as opposed to most of them

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Man there has not been a single time where the homeless issue was brought up and didn't make me foam with rage at the amount of time and effort put into making life harder for the homeless.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

fuck, this is a lot

both as a literal description of its length and as a general statement

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

Fuck

this reminds me I need to get back to reading the Slactivist's reviews of these books. I'm still only like a third of the way into his review of the second(?) book.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Man there has not been a single time where the homeless issue was brought up and didn't make me foam with rage at the amount of time and effort put into making life harder for the homeless.

This is more complicated than Vox is presenting here.

At the same time that homelessness is on the rise, 90 new shelters are in the works to be constructed* and 30 are being expanded in 2017 alone, with improvements having been made in the years leading up to it as well. With a few notable exceptions, the majority of the city has a large amount of shelters available. The shelters generally do not reach capacity, and the majority of street homeless are generally surveyed as not being there due to financial hardship or lack of affordable housing but for either lifestyle or mental health reasoning. That said, the main barrier preventing the funding for the 90 new shelters from being fully utilized over the second half of the year (to date only 5 have been completed, and 4 are under way) hasn't been the city, but local asshole advocacy groups doing their best to NIMBY block new construction.

As of November 2017 about 63k people in the NYC metropolitan area were homeless, with about 58k of these housed in the various shelters. That's a huge problem, but also a real sign of just how much capacity there is to assist them with safe(ish) housing. I'm not going to claim the shelters don't have tremendous problems, they do, but that's an argument about increasing security there rather than nitpicking the subway system. The subway system is also not a shelter, and shouldn't be used as one. The amount of people flowing in and out makes it a tremendous security risk to the homeless seeking shelter there, and by blocking areas in sleeping or sheltering the homeless create substantial barriers to traffic flow, usability by the intended purpose (moving people), and provide barriers to use to the infirm and disabled that need the existing benches.

Leaning bars are defensive architecture, but their impetus is not to prevent sleeping but instead to deal with crowd density on subway platforms. You will notice that, even in the video they are complaining about it, the leaning bars are right next to benches and are not replacing them. Instead they are being installed beside benches to provide waiting resting locations without interfering with crowd flow. The main complaint against them from the disabled advocacy groups is generally more of a concern with not providing more sitting positions rather than removing and replacing existing. The previous benches remain, and are being added in other locations across the subways where they are used, just not where leaning bars generally are installed. The few exceptions where benches have been removed and replaced with these that I've studied (several South American cities are doing this) mostly are forced to do so because their subway tunnels cannot accommodate the flow of increased traffic within the system and need every sqft possible to keep inflow and outflow moving.

It's a complicated problem, but especially in New York where homeless shelters are frequent and in abundance and planners generally are doing right by the homeless, targeting necessary improvements without context is sort of a hatchet job ignoring one of the few cases in the US where a city is adequitely and proactively funding solutions for the Homeless. In Orlando our mayor's solution was to paint goddamn red squares on the sidewalks where they could sleep without being arrested, rather than funding additional needed shelters. These locations are in dark, unused alleys and trash pickup zones and generally get people killed. And that was considered bleeding heart at the time.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Doesn’t Jesus have Blackbolt’s power in the Left Behind books

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    maybe? that video only covers the three books that were made into films

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BJU2drrtCM

How a TV Works in Slow Motion - The Slow Mo Guys

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Oh no pogo what are you doing
    https://youtu.be/bl5TUw7sUBs
    That is a legit terrifying Data

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    Oh no pogo what are you doing
    https://youtu.be/bl5TUw7sUBs
    That is a legit terrifying Data

Fun fact, apparently one of those uniforms is a post production colour swap of the other. I think it's command -> operations, but I can't remember for sure.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

"LG sent me a 77 inch OLED tv"

Damn son those things cost $Texas, I'm mad jelly.

EDIT: to be more precise, AUD$39,990, or the price of a reasonably nice new car.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

this is raaaaaaad

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

EDIT: to be more precise, AUD$39,990, or the price of a reasonably nice new car.

I highly doubt they gave him one, more that they let offered to let him film one of theirs.
    He said they offered to supply him a tv for the purpose of making the video, doesn't sound like it was his to keep at the end of the day.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I can't listen to Pogo after finding out he's a red piller.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

I highly doubt they gave him one, more that they let offered to let him film one of theirs.
    He said they offered to supply him a tv for the purpose of making the video, doesn't sound like it was his to keep at the end of the day.

The video is essentially an advert for why you should buy an OLED TV. The cost of giving them a TV, even for keeps, would be far more cost effective than trying to make that sales pitch through tradition advertising methods. Everyone wins.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

Wait, what?

Goddammit

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular

Wait, what?

Goddammit

It was like, two years ago? He posted a video where he compared women to children and you had to give them “toys” to amuse them. People called him out on his BS and he said it was all an “experiment to showcase how people would hate any idea they don’t agree with.” Them people pointed out his likes were full of similar videos and he deleted the video and never talked about it again.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular

Shit, I really liked that Data/Picard song, too.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »

Shit, I really liked that Data/Picard song, too.

I've literally only ever seen this one video so I feel reasonably untarnished

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

Wait, what?

Goddammit

It was like, two years ago? He posted a video where he compared women to children and you had to give them “toys” to amuse them. People called him out on his BS and he said it was all an “experiment to showcase how people would hate any idea they don’t agree with.” Them people pointed out his likes were full of similar videos and he deleted the video and never talked about it again.

Didn't he have a bunch of MRA reddit posts?

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    the hands at the end

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Crippl3 on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I grew up watching reruns of the show.. the narrator's voice is ingrained into my brain.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    the hands at the end

35s7cv.jpg

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.