As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War]: 3 Kingdoms is out! Rats and Lizardman fight it out in WH2.

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Having both undead armies abbreviate as VC is inconvenient at times.

Especially considering one of those armies has a VC sub faction.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Think the common thing is to refer to Vampire Coast as VP since they're basically vampire pirates.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    danx wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Having both undead armies abbreviate as VC is inconvenient at times.

Especially considering one of those armies has a VC sub faction.

The trick is that every race has the same back plate for their symbol. So you can tell from the shape what they are

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I'm surprised because Greenskins need an update more than anyone else (and the Badlands need a campaign update, there's no balance between Dwarfs/Greenskins in the same way there is with Empire/Vampire; it's snowball land through and through, 90% of it GS wins because recruiting rank 7 black orcs gives the AI a very easy run of it).

But yeah, maybe we'll see Green Knight become a bit more usable, perhaps some AI improvements (possibly changes to the way the faction unlocks knightly vows, because at very least it fucks the AI constantly), and a little more focus on sea combat for that Alberic life?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    They've said we're getting more DLC after the next lord pack, so I'm gonna guess Bretonnia was just easier to get out while they probably have a lot of hands on deck trying to get Three Kingdoms out in time.

Maybe, I am curious what this means though. They said a long time ago they were trying to go through the original four factions before warhammer 3.

So either something gets pushed back to warhammer 3, there’s going to be more race dlc than anyone thought (yay), there’s going to be another lord pack (mentioned as a possibility) or they release a flc old race update by itself.

• Options
    Some people have assumed we'll simply get a preorder race like Norsca, but it's hard to say. They have previously expressed interest (though did not commit of course) to Warhammer 1 vs Warhammer 2 lord pack DLC. So that option is on the table too.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    If they do another race pack my money would be on Araby, because they have a bunch of lands that belong to Brettonia that should be Araby (as they did with the Vampire Coast and the Tomb Kings being generic undead). That's the only real "hole" still in the TW2 map.

• Options
    There is a theory that Bretonnia is, in part, being reworked to fit Araby as an option for their Crusades. Of course it's just idle speculation, but would make sense. Araby would be cool to see, could see the Golden Magus being a neat Legendary Lord option to tie in with the Dreadfleet and Aranessa.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    So the lets Play Ma Teng video was today; game keeps crashing during the end turn sequence.

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    So the lets Play Ma Teng video was today; game keeps crashing during the end turn sequence.

Hence why we aren't getting the game tomorrow!

A shame though, because I have been enjoying these streams otherwise, warts and all. They did say they'll be doing it again next week but with a more up to date build of the game, so we can certainly look forward to seeing what THAT looks like.

I do hope they do more 'Start Position Highlights' like they did for Zheng Jiang last week, I'd be pretty interested to see what the others are like.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A0kPV7vWMg

A brief lets play of Dong Zhuo, showing off his starting situation and mechanics. CAJordan certainly sounds like he was almost having a little too much fun with it.

I know I certainly will be giving it a go a couple of playthroughs in.

• Options
    One thing I forgot to mention/link is that along with their weekly stream, they've also started doing 'Faction Spotlights', where they are going into one faction each week and taking a look at their starting position and discuss their core mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tugry10Jpvw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUDhZagE_nc

Both of them are super interesting but Sun Jian in particular really has me intrigued. Not being in the moshpit that is Northern China in 190 AD must be one hell of a change of pace if you've played one of the others first. It also seems like you're almost guaranteed to see the state of Wu form in most games as Sun Jian is the least 'impeded' warlord in the game.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I hate the new launcher. :(

• Options
    edited March 2019
    No start position spotlight this week, but we did get a Battle Spotlight, revealing EXTREME unit size, along with a whole bunch of UI customization via the Spacebar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2Dj12z0NR8

The Details in short:
    New Extreme unit size as maximum, relegating Ultra to second largest.
    Infantry Size: 240
    Cavalry Size: 60
    New Maximum soldier count per side (Stack plus reinforcements): 8,460 (Romance), 10,080 (Records).

Spacebar brings up a quick menu for UI customisation.
    Settings are Always Off, Hold Spacebar, Always on.
    These can be changed on the fly, and can be mixed and matched.

The Brayster on
  • Options
    I will not buy this game because their community manager tells people to call him Wheels.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Is he a getaway driver?

• Options
    He should certainly "getaway" from my monitor

I'm just kidding Wheels, you're alright. But stop trying to make the Wheels thing happen.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    After seeing the latest GW release of Slaanesh models I do hope that TW3 involves the daemons of chaos, because the new daemonprince and keeper of secrets look absolutely amazing.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    CA is hosting another Everchosen Invitational on the 6th and 7th of April. It will have the first look at the Skaven/Lizardmen lord pack.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I think I might finally play a Lizardmen campaign when that comes out. And maybe finish a skaven one while I'm at it. Both factions have been in DIRE need of a rework since the Elf pack.

• Options
    Indeed. I've tried a couple of times to do a Lizardman campaign and just kind of fizzled out. Didn't feel like they had as much stuff going on as the other factions.

I'm trying to temper my expectations for the Skaven update, but hoping they really do some major alterations to their campaign mechanics.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    In the Vortex campaign at least Lizardmen felt like a good change of pace from everything else, since they're like the only melee bruiser faction in that campaign. Being in control of the Saurus meat wall instead of having to face them was also great.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    My Lizardman ME campaign went the longest because they don’t have as much going on.

Get into a fight, send in the dinosaurs and Kroq, follow up with the Saurus wall, flank with Cold Ones.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    With Lizardmen there is still some nice micro going on when you have a variety of units - skink/slann casters, arty dinos, terradons, cold ones, and chamleon skinks. Though they're all being used in support of the Saurus line.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »
    He should certainly "getaway" from my monitor

I'm just kidding Wheels, you're alright. But stop trying to make the Wheels thing happen.

I agree that he may be trying to "force" the nickname, but his name is Whelan.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Wheels is streets ahead.

On the topic of Lizardmen, who I do agree, I can't wait for a little touch-up of, my main thing was just I guess something... intangible about them, like someone else was talking about. There is nothing complicated to them, they're probably the simplest faction to play, and the most in-line with the very old school "easily hold the line with tough units, flank with above par cavalry." but, their laser shooting artillery dinosaurs are very fun, just like it's fun putting a bunch of blow dart shooting skinks on top of your mount, or whatever else. They're all not necessary, you could never make a single one of them and still win, but they're still a lot of fun, it would just be better if you felt like you needed to use them because then you would feel more reward when you actually did (or the min/max players would actually build them, instead of going on and on about facts and logic over fun).

That said, I am not-France reboot before Empire all the way, which is a very unpopular opinion in every corner of the internet but I care not. Leon has my favorite backstory along with Gilles (and also irl I have the Frenchiest middle and last name an American could ever get away with having (since my mother insisted I be named after the Marquis de Lafayette since they were third gen immigrants), which I won't deny contributes slightly).

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    As far as Lizardmen go, I was more referring to campaign mechanics. Though being so utterly focused on Saurus does occasionally get somewhat boring. I found Maz more amusing in this regard since Kroq hits his Saurus critical-mass near immediately.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    I'm running another empire campaign with trying to save the dawi from extinction by pulling up their beards from their hidey holes (orcs just went crazy and took over everything. They can pump up 5 full stacks every couple of turns if need be)

Also I made Boris Todbringer the Emperors Eye

Kruite on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Lizardmen are still pretty much my favorite faction, and I've always felt that their roster is awesome. I don't think the DLC will do anything to change the efficacy of just using a bunch of big ol' dinosauers if that's what you want to do. They already have some finesse units, they're just not necessary due how good the stompey dinosaurs are. You can totally use them if you want -- they're pretty damn good.

I actually really liked their campaign mechanics at launch, but as far as I can tell Blessed units are still super broken. The events barely trigger or don't trigger at all -- they were waaay more common at launch, and gave some cool structure to the campaign.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Some of the blessed units are amazing and some are eh.

Like. If you get temple guards with hilarious HP or sarus with perfect vigour theyre bonkers. But if you get skink cohorts theyre... well basically skinks.

As a aside i find a lot of the monsters lacking for lizardmen. You want a few around because T-Rex are the only real anti-large* you have. But your anti-infantry cavalry is better than stegadons(a few to hold the line is nice) and javelin skinks* are the superior general flankers.

*temple guards sure but temple guards are too slow to fight large units consistently.

**god i love javelin skinks. Hella fast, huge numbers, massive damage. Theyre fast enough to flank and then shoot and once they do they drop twice crossbowmen damage and then can rear charge with one of the most attack dense formations in the game

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Y'know, I've never played as the Lizardmen. For WH2 I always go with some variety of elf for their pew pew.

I should probably change that a some point. Maybe when this update comes around?

• Options
    But can you say no to a unit that has both a giant ballista on its back for knocking out enemy artillery, give it an edgy against enemy monsters AND can wreak havoc among the enemy?
    I'm generally not a fan of cold one cavalry since they tend to frenzy at the worst opportunities.

As for anti-large. Lizardmen are loaded with it. Ballistas on Stegadons (sure, they're not anti-large per se. But they deal single target AP damage), Carnosaurs, Saurus Spearmen w/shields, Templeguards etc. You can even mount your priests on stegadons for magic-casting artillery with massive melee charge ability. God I love skinks priests on stegadons.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    Priests on Stegadon's are good. But regular stegadons are... not that good. And well. Carnosaurs are what i suggested for anti-large.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    OK but skinks are not giant dinosaurs???

Skinks RIDING giant dinosaurs, that's fine

But otherwise skinks < giant dinosaurs

This seems self explanatory

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I think skinks are the most adorable things and skinks on dinos are the best things.

}
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Priests on Stegadon's are good. But regular stegadons are... not that good. And well. Carnosaurs are what i suggested for anti-large.

Well. I like them. High level saurus armies tend to have a skink priest on stegadon plus two more stegadons in a kind of general support and skirmishing group. Especially in campaign since it's one of the few ways I can force enemies to come to me instead of my easily exhausted saurus being forced to rush to them.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Javelin skinks are wonderful. Great ranged damage, and they run out of ammo just in time to start sweeping around with their great foot speed and pulling off flank charges or cleaning up routing units.

• Options
    Sweep them around before you toss. It does a LOT of damage

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Sweep them around before you toss. It does a LOT of damage

This was a good call!

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I never really realized that after Medieval 2 the engine changes sort of ended up doing away with the total conversion mods apparently? I find that really sad, I mean I understand why the Warhammer stuff isn't really moddable though I dislike it, but I really loved all the fantasy, magic, Legends of Zelda etc. mods there used to be for Total War games

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
This discussion has been closed.