As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm old, and I don't get Bitcoin [Cryptocurrency and society].

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    So I tried in the tech thread, and I figured I would try here as well. I have a friend who is asking me which is the best hard wallet for this kind of thing. I've told him him that I know diddly squat about it, but I'm the most tech savvy person he knows. I looked through Ars Technica and couldn't find anything. Is there a reputable place to that has reviewed these things, so I can get an idea of what I'm looking for?

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    So I tried in the tech thread, and I figured I would try here as well. I have a friend who is asking me which is the best hard wallet for this kind of thing. I've told him him that I know diddly squat about it, but I'm the most tech savvy person he knows. I looked through Ars Technica and couldn't find anything. Is there a reputable place to that has reviewed these things, so I can get an idea of what I'm looking for?

It’s an ecologically disastrous Ponzi scheme and while possibility exists to make money in the interim they are better off staying out completely.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Which, I am already aware. However... If he is going to do this regardless, I can at least tell him which hardware to get.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021

the only real components of a wallet are the address and an encryption/signing key
    just a couple of numbers really

any kind of physical gadget trying to manage that for you seems at best a waste of money and at worst a vector for attacks or failures

if their concern is security then they can just put it into a text file and print it out
    maybe print out a couple of qr codes so it's easier to enter later

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Which, I am already aware. However... If he is going to do this regardless, I can at least tell him which hardware to get.

Just tell him to get a Trezor

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

I'm not up on the bitcoin terminology but if he just wants a physical device on which he can store his wallet code, there was a story up-thread about a dude with like $20mil or something in BTC in a wallet the code for which was on an IronKey USB stick. He'd forgotten the password and was down to 2 more attempts before he was locked out of it forever.

So if you friend wants a pretty secure device, I guess they could do worse than an IronKey?

But personally I'd trust a paper printout in a safe deposit box more than any encrypted device. Also it's impossible to get permanently locked out of a physical box.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

I'm not up on the bitcoin terminology but if he just wants a physical device on which he can store his wallet code, there was a story up-thread about a dude with like $20mil or something in BTC in a wallet the code for which was on an IronKey USB stick. He'd forgotten the password and was down to 2 more attempts before he was locked out of it forever.

So if you friend wants a pretty secure device, I guess they could do worse than an IronKey?

But personally I'd trust a paper printout in a safe deposit box more than any encrypted device. Also it's impossible to get permanently locked out of a physical box.

I work in cybersecurity these days...and yes, get a paper print out. I can also assure this is literally advice I have actually implemented for people.

Paper and a decent safe is pretty much foolproof in a practical sense.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

I work in cybersecurity these days...and yes, get a paper print out. I can also assure this is literally advice I have actually implemented for people.

More than one copy in separate safe locations might be wise, too, in case something happens to one of them. (But not too many copies, of course.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    That said, the best advice is still "don't, and if you already have, cash out (if you can) and walk away."

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

It's ironic the best solution is imitating paper money with serial codes.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    That said, the best advice is still "don't, and if you already have, cash out (if you can) and walk away."

The advice of Lord Humungus echoes across time.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Okay, so I can get your friend the most secure hard wallet in the world - it comes from Japan, so you need some yens to get it. You’re gonna need a hoji, which is like a hundred bucks.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

It's ironic the best solution is imitating paper money with serial codes.

Ironic?

or

Appropriate?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Isn't the whole stance of a crypto coin having a dollar value also kind of ironic?

Also not gonna lie I've thought about buying Doge uh...stock? a couple of times. It's still cheap enough that no real money would be lost if I decided to do this

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    i would not be surprised if you could buy a tesla with dogecoin in the near future, if there's anything elon loves doing its trolling

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    I mean there are payment processors aplenty that accept crypto... they just convert it to fiat on receipt (with a hefty markup, of course). Not much risk to the processor since they don't actually hold onto the crypto, and governments don't care so long as taxes are still collected.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Isn't the whole stance of a crypto coin having a dollar value also kind of ironic?

Not really. Euro is a real currency, and it still has a dollar value: the exchange rate.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular

Not really. Euro is a real currency, and it still has a dollar value: the exchange rate.

I think he might be referring to the fact that crypto's pricing is based on the dollar, rather than simply having a dollar equivalent.

Like if the local pizza shop accepts bitcoin, the menu will say "here's the price in dollars, but you can also pay us the current bitcoin equivalent at the time of your order."

They're never going to say, "here's the price in bitcoin."

• Options

I think he might be referring to the fact that crypto's pricing is based on the dollar, rather than simply having a dollar equivalent.

Like if the local pizza shop accepts bitcoin, the menu will say "here's the price in dollars, but you can also pay us the current bitcoin equivalent at the time of your order."

They're never going to say, "here's the price in bitcoin."

In border towns and some airports you will often see prices listed in local currency and the equivalent in a foreign currency.

Bitcoin is foreign currency to everyone.

• Options
    In border towns and some airports you will often see prices listed in local currency and the equivalent in a foreign currency.

The difference is that the foreign equivalent usually stays pretty constant. It doesn't change dramatically from the time you enter the store to the time you're ready to buy.

• Options

The difference is that the foreign equivalent usually stays pretty constant. It doesn't change dramatically from the time you enter the store to the time you're ready to buy.

Oh, I agree. Bitcoin is garbage for so many reasons. But in this one aspect it is not so different from actual for-reals currencies.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2021

Oh, I agree. Bitcoin is garbage for so many reasons. But in this one aspect it is not so different from actual for-reals currencies.

The point was that somewhere in the world something is priced primarily in that currency, and any secondary currency value is converted from that.

Nowhere will ever have the bitcoin price as the primary currency that the seller has fixed the value at.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

The point was that somewhere in the world something is priced primarily in that currency, and any secondary currency value is converted from that.

Nowhere will ever have the bitcoin price as the primary currency that the seller has fixed the value at.

Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies in general remain mostly a sociological exploit about the state of economics and financial education within the general populace.

• Options

Also not gonna lie I've thought about buying Doge uh...stock? a couple of times. It's still cheap enough that no real money would be lost if I decided to do this

Doge has a market cap of almost 8 billion dollars. It's not cheap, it's a joke currency, it should not be worth 8 billion dollars. You need to look at market caps when looking at cryptos because they all have different supply numbers. A low dollar per coin price does not mean cheap, it might just mean there are billions of coins in circulation instead of millions.

Part of me is wondering, with the stonks stuff and doge, we might be entering an area where memes and viral stuff is increasingly monetized via things that internet society just declares as valuable. Like a merging of collectibles and stocks/currencies.

• Options
    market caps for cryptocurrency don't really tell you much, since often the vast majority of those coins are sitting in dead wallets

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Amount of coin outstanding is really useful to know even in dead wallets as it is useful to determine those deflationary effects.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies in general remain mostly a sociological exploit about the state of economics and financial education within the general populace.

cryptocurrencies are a global scale power virus using human greed to propagate

change my mind

5gsowHm.png
  • Options

Or, to put it another way, you're not going to see contracts where people agree to specific amounts of bitcoin in advance.

i.e, "Hey, I want to hire you for a job, I will pay you this number of bitcoin per hour."

Kind of hard to have an independent currency if you can't even write your own contracts.

• Options
    Tesla disclosed this morning that they've used $1.5B in cash to purchase bitcoin with the intention of holding it long term as a reserve asset

https://gizmodo.com/tesla-discloses-1-5-billion-purchase-of-bitcoin-in-lat-1846219295

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Queue stockholder lawsuit.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I'm not sure if they can sue, if tesla really believes they will make money doing this.

But if I was a stockholder, I'd be incandescent with fury. They are a car company, not an investment bank. If they have too much money they should just start a dividend.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Musk has also been pushing Doge, which is over 8 cents today. Crazy.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Yeah it's extremely silly. If your company wants to hold onto a bunch of cash (and there are reasonable reasons to do this) then it should be in some safe low risk account.

If the company wants to invest then they should be investing in themselves! They could be using that 1.5 billion to like build factories and shit.

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Is this just a way of transferring some money from Tesla directly into Elon Musk's personal accounts? Did he just so happen to sell Bitcoin (directly to Tesla?) after this announcement?

• Options
    Is this the reason BTC has been going up in price? Bying 1.5 billion with a B bitcoin can't possibly be done overnight. That has to be a significant fraction of the total value, and drive up prices.

• Options
    Is this the reason BTC has been going up in price? Bying 1.5 billion with a B bitcoin can't possibly be done overnight. That has to be a significant fraction of the total value, and drive up prices.

The buy probably happened over weeks, probably handled by some firm that helps execute big investments like this. It probably drove the price up a little, but not like a sudden $1.5B market buy would. The news is probably what pumped the price, since the kind of nerds who worship Musk and who might consider buying bitcoin have a lot of overlap I imagine.

I wonder how they will square the environmental impact of bitcoin. Isn't Tesla supposed to be a pretty green company?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »

The buy probably happened over weeks, probably handled by some firm that helps execute big investments like this. It probably drove the price up a little, but not like a sudden $1.5B market buy would. The news is probably what pumped the price, since the kind of nerds who worship Musk and who might consider buying bitcoin have a lot of overlap I imagine.

I wonder how they will square the environmental impact of bitcoin. Isn't Tesla supposed to be a pretty green company?

Honestly, they will probably not acknowledge it at all.

• Options
    Honestly, I'm mostly surprised Musk didn't launch his own con coin con.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Honestly, I'm mostly surprised Musk didn't launch his own con coin con.

Buying a Tesla nets you 100 coins and for every thousand miles driven you get another coin. The rate is doubled if you use autopilot, and tripled if you play a game on the center console at the same time.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    You know how tesla basically maintains that all the code in their vehicles is proprietary and their own and increasingly tries to expand that domain into hardware? Elon is definitely crazy enough to make people's cars start mining when they're not using their computers to drive themselves

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
This discussion has been closed.