As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hella [Chat]

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Chanus Devilman Crybaby is real good as an adaptation of Go Nagai's established work, in that it absolutely doubles down on the "sex and violence go together like chocolate and peanut butter" aesthetic which pervades his oeuvre

That said, I would deffo not read the plot summary of any Devilman variation in advance, since it'll spoil you on the second half's spiral into crazytown

i am intrigued

It's also only ten episodes (though even then it could probably be cut to a tighter 8) so it isn't a huge time investment, I barrelled through it over a few days

i am definitely liking short dives after 700 hours of star trek and like 300 hours of dr who

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    the dr who is an estimate and probably not accurate but

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    In memes we droste.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying how exploitable this meme is.

4r0I17R.jpg

I love this dude's art style but it always makes me wince a bit, the way he does his lines looks like it requires a tight pen grip + a LOT of very precise pinching pressure and then ow ow ow my hand starts throbbing just imagining it 9-9

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    I've always been on #teamcellphone when people get on about this generation is just glued to them ughghhgugu

But recent events e.g. logan paul, the continued existence of a million swedish game streamers using racial/homophobic slurs have me reconsidering my position

I think I'd be more okay with it if the vast majority of people weren't looking up the worst. shit. ever.

I know we can't legislate around bad taste but my god people it's not like there's a dearth of good content available! The whole fucking world is out there!

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I've always been on #teamcellphone when people get on about this generation is just glued to them ughghhgugu

But recent events e.g. logan paul, the continued existence of a million swedish game streamers using racial/homophobic slurs have me reconsidering my position

I think I'd be more okay with it if the vast majority of people weren't looking up the worst. shit. ever.

I know we can't legislate around bad taste but my god people it's not like there's a dearth of good content available! The whole fucking world is out there!

it's like how I have a Steam library in triple digits yet I still play fucking Hearthstone

only instead of Hearthstone, it's racism

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying how exploitable this meme is.

4r0I17R.jpg

I love this dude's art style but it always makes me wince a bit, the way he does his lines looks like it requires a tight pen grip + a LOT of very precise pinching pressure and then ow ow ow my hand starts throbbing just imagining it 9-9

I love that I can identify that jacket as an an MA-1 just from the comic

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    me and E are talking about our - my - favourite erlend loe books because she is up for far too long because something something a paper related to him

and I love so many of his books and argh goddamnnit why is this girl in the wrong country

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I forgot to mention because I was actually out without my phone (lmao) but I sat next to this boomer couple in an Indian place not too long ago and they were like, complaining about the youth's shrunken attention spans and poor manners but they were sitting across the table from each other both reading their phones without looking up except to occasionally get a bite of food, AND they were mean to the waitress

I thought I had entered an alternate reality (just by the sheer irony, this is of course fairly common behaviour) and I moved tables so I could eat my samosas in peace

Blameless Cleric on

• Options
    getDynamicImage.aspx?b=00ffffff&path=Youth-MA-1-Sage-1000.jpg

• Options
    I forgot to mention because I was actually out without my phone (lmao) but I sat next to this boomer couple in an Indian place not too long ago and they were like, complaining about the youth's shrunken attention spans and poor manners but they were sitting across the table from each other both reading their phones without looking up except to occasionally get a bite of food, AND they were mean to the waitress

I thought I had entered an alternate reality (just by the sheer irony, this is of course fairly common behaviour) and I moved tables so I could eat my samosas in peace

that's the kind of moment where you wish you could copy yourself so one of you could get up and have an encounter

while the other you gets to just go away and eat in peace and quiet and knowing that they're getting confronted

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    That's a dope ass jacket

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »
    apparently there is a humble bundle for a shitload of cookbooks

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/sous-geek-cookbooks

Worth for Mixed Up.

The rest are gimmicky but fun reads. Like nothing you couldn't just look up on the internet but can be nice to peruse for new ideas.

the hamilton one looks fun and i dunno kitschy?

It's p. decent but much like the medieval one that is also part of that bundle yeah a little kitschy.

Like you are not going to find any recipes in there that you're going to hand down the generations, but it'll probably make for a fun Hamilton-themed dinner party?

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    That's a dope ass jacket

there's no hope in dope dan

• Options
    I read an article today about someone who interviewed several hundred teens about their social media habits, and found that overall most kids would MUCH rather see their friends in person than online, so long as it was in an unstructured way, but also overall their parents had various rules that prevented this from being possible (kids were overscheduled so there wasn't any time for socialization, kids weren't allowed to walk or drive far from home alone, kids were allowed to have friends over/go to friends' houses but were always supervised during such visits, etc.)

checkmate, olds

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

*f5s chat*

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    I read an article today about someone who interviewed several hundred teens about their social media habits, and found that overall most kids would MUCH rather see their friends in person than online, so long as it was in an unstructured way, but also overall their parents had various rules that prevented this from being possible (kids were overscheduled so there wasn't any time for socialization, kids weren't allowed to walk or drive far from home alone, kids were allowed to have friends over/go to friends' houses but were always supervised during such visits, etc.)

checkmate, olds

when i was a kid we left the house at sunrise and came home at sunset and i'm still glued to my phone most of the day

• Options
    edited January 2018

checkmate, olds

I'm like this close (I am holding my fingers really close together) to being an actual old and it's always been true that young people text/msn/facebook/whatever the fuck they're doing now when they can't meet face to face, as a supplement, meeting each other just as much, but staying in touch when you otherwise just wouldn't

EDIT: although grown-up eyes being on them sounds... psychotic. When I was growing up grown-up eyes were generally not on us until after we had activated the fire alarm.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018

checkmate, olds

when i was a kid we left the house at sunrise and came home at sunset and i'm still glued to my phone most of the day

right but do you have the opportunity to see most of your friends now? Do they all live close? Also it was specifically about social media, is that usually what you're doing?

it wasn't positing that in the future, these kids will continue this habit

it was saying that the current habit is a natural and obvious thing because they don't get to talk to and interact with their friends sans grown-up eyes p much any other way

Blameless Cleric on

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    What are they trying to hide, Bleric

Is it talking about boys and touching boobs

Those disgusting teenagers

• Options

checkmate, olds

right but do you have the opportunity to see most of your friends now? Do they all live close? Also it was specifically about social media, is that usually what you're doing?

it was saying that the current habit is a natural and obvious thing because they don't get to talk to and interact with their friends sans grown-up eyes p much any other way

all my friends are married with kids or dead it seems

i'm basically a modern teenager socially

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular

checkmate, olds

I mean I do.

I try to be out and seeing people as often as I can. Yoga Fire actually gets mad at how infrequently I text because I'm just like if I'm going to see you later I'd rather have this conversation in person.

Electronic communication is awesome but I have never in my entire life preferred it to interacting with people I actually like in person.

Now it is true that people I don't want to talk to, I've interacted with more electronically or cut out of my life altogether as I've gotten older.

Hopefully this has been useful information.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

checkmate, olds

The stories of my friends baby sister (14 year old) is like listening to an foreign culture at time.

Cleric, you are hitting towards mid 20's.

You are reaching the adulthood.

You are the old.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

checkmate, olds

I mean I do.

I try to be out and seeing people as often as I can. Yoga Fire actually gets mad at how infrequently I text because I'm just like if I'm going to see you later I'd rather have this conversation in person.

Electronic communication is awesome but I have never in my entire life preferred it to interacting with people I actually like in person.

Now it is true that people I don't want to talk to, I've interacted with more electronically or cut out of my life altogether as I've gotten older.

hm cool? Seems like you feel just like these teenagers in the article do! Except they do not have the autonomy to go out and do those things, unfortunately.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Mazzyx wrote: »

checkmate, olds

The stories of my friends baby sister (14 year old) is like listening to an foreign culture at time.

You are the old.

I'm 22 ! that's still early 20s thanks very much! you guys called Hakkes a bab until she was like 26 or something !!

Blameless Cleric on

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I sewed three buttons back on to this shirt because I'm a capable adult don't look at the stitching

• Options
    the standard olds' "kids phones grumble grumble" argument could be countered with a torrent of "people meet their grandkids for the first time over skype" imgur posts but honestly the prime argument is, a world where you can be shown boobs in a different country, instead of being restricted to those in the same post address, is an immeasurably better one

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I sewed three buttons back on to this shirt because I'm a capable adult don't look at the stitching

and how many onto your hand

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

checkmate, olds

You are the old.

I'm 22 ! that's still early 20s thanks very much! you guys called Hakkes a bab until she was like 26 or something !!

shit I remember when I was righfully called a baby here because I was 18

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    i used to be pretty decent at stitching things together

we were far too WASPy a family for my mother to pass her seamstress craft onto me but i picked up what i needed to sew patches onto my backpack in high school such that they wouldn't fall off

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    be my, be my

be my forum baby

• Options
    you're all babies to me

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular

I only poked my finger once and only a little bit actually, didn't even bleed

• Options
    edited January 2018
    also that convo earlier about emotional intimacy and friendships was interesting to me b/c I am a person who has deeply loving and emotionally connected/open friendships that prob actually exceed the level of emotional intimacy that Pinecone and I have , simply because he hasn't been around as long, even though he and I have sex and I don't have sex with anyone else (though my other friendships are often physically affectionate in nonsexual ways).

Like, I feel like sex opens up a door to another KIND of emotional intimacy that is intrinsically linked to physical intimacy, but that doesn't necessarily bump my level of overall emotional intimacy with a person to another level or something.

Blameless Cleric on

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    For a game that inspired a pretty decent number of clones, Ultima 1 is not a well designed game even compared to Wizardry, which was released at about the same time.

• Options

I only poked my finger once and only a little bit actually, didn't even bleed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTeJtavLRAU

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I forgot how good a morning workout fits into the schedule. The only downside is a possibility that I’ll crash early, or I’m not able to concentrate as much because of tireds.

The upside is that when work ends there’s nothing but party leftover!

• Options
    the closest to seamstress skills I have is that I discovered early an ability to, while just trying to operate it normally, utterly wreck a sewing machine beyond all repair

and I have been leery of touching one ever since the 5th grade

occasionally, somebody has prodded me into using one, because "it's not that hard, no you can't ruin it, wait, what the hell?", so I don't sew a lot

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    all my best friends live far away and i don't really have family so this guarantees- if nothing else does- that my life is closely linked to distant forms of communication

• Options

checkmate, olds

I mean I do.

hm cool? Seems like you feel just like these teenagers in the article do! Except they do not have the autonomy to go out and do those things, unfortunately.

It seems we're having a conversation at cross-purposes.

I get that teenagers don't have the autonomy I do. I'm a soon-to-be thirty year-old with a full time job that lives on the other side of the country from the majority of his family.

I'm just saying I'm not surprised to hear that "kids these days" feel like that because that's how I was back in my day with the AOL Instant Messenger and the MySpaces, and saying that those feelings carry forward I guess?

I dunno, then again I've already accepted my role in trying to make the world a better place for people younger than me and maybe not always being able to relate due to different economic and social pressures that weren't present during my youth.

This discussion has been closed.