As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Meownster Hunt[chat]

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    not a bank, but the old stock exchange in Bergen is one of my fav buildings here

69f0eaa3-e8a5-4f4e-ac3c-1a695ee93fc1?fit=crop&h=810&q=80&w=1440

it is now Matbørsen - the food exchange - which is a lot of restaurants in one and the interior is truly grand.

8321921289_4bb2f7ae8f_b.jpg

Also it and the bank next to it is also a hotel now. I remember the hoteliers mentioned in the article about the project that the architect was so psyched about the interior that it was quite impossible to get him to shut up about it

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    @ronya trying out a different Civ 6 earth map, a fan made one

Japan is three ocean tiles away from the west coast of America

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    omgggggggggggggggg

Tw5xHwi.jpg

I get it

Neco on
  • Options
    kedinik wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    Religion has inspired some beautiful things, really. The nonviolent protests of Gandhi and MLK. Towering cathedrals. And most importantly statues and paintings of pretty naked dudes.

even churches are often really quite nice. I work in an old (by modern US standards) church and it's kind of breathtaking when I let myself give a shit
    I wish they still did that. All modern churches look like shitty supermarkets. I'm not sure if they're aware of the irony.

I recently heard an interesting social theory: Religions used to build fantastic churches in order to dominate the minds of congregants -- you're a peasant, and you live in a hovel, and you hardly see anything that isn't also a crappy hovel, but whenever you see a religious building, it's unbelievably impressive and beautiful? Then you think: Probably God is real, and probably it's important to dig deep and give some money to the local priest for the sake of saving your immortal soul.

Whereas now in developed countries we have lots of impressive structures not affiliated with any religion, and the average person gets to see these impressive non-religious structures every so often, and beautiful-buildings-as-propaganda is nowhere near as effective these days. So, why bother to build impressive, peasant-intimidating churches now that it no longer functions as cost-effective advertising? Better, generally, to cut costs and pocket the money.

mormon temples, as a retort

I'm pretty certain that boring churches are because budgets are a lot tighter these days than they were, for most

ain't no tithe anymore that's for sure

I thought of Mormon temples! It's interesting, sure.

Although it seems possibly in line with the theory? They were inexplicably big, opulent structures that became valued traditions when the whole of the Mormon religion was scratching out a threadbare existence in the salt and mud of Utah. And I think the level of quality of the temples has perhaps been trending downwards over time.

Were? They haven't calmed down a single bit. Not that any of the temples are old, but I think the only reason their newer temples are often smaller is that anywhere a big one would be built, they already have

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ip1DueT.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    BA28927_5017179a.jpg?chk=998B2E

This is the old bank, wall-to-wall with the old stock exchange, now also part of the hotel.

I like it because it is very obvious that the instruction to the architect was "make it look like a safe place to put money"

"okay I made it look like it'll hold up to a quite significant amount of cannon fire"

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    so! It turns out you can post on the forums while phone banking so hey yall

Dang @Casual Eddy I didn’t know you were in finance

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    ip1DueT.jpg

Meanwhile at the Hall of Justice...

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    lKZfrUP.jpg

Literally that floating island in Subnautica.

@Kamiro @Havelock2.0 @SniperGuy @bloodyroarxx

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    ip1DueT.jpg

This looks like somewhere you go to speak to The Leader after you are caught trying to break out of the Arcology that houses the last of humanity and protects them from the walkers-in-the-dark.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I was about to buy Monster Hunter World at GameStop then saw them upselling disc scratch insurance and noped out of there.

They have been doing this for over a decade, I buy it with all my kids games.

I just went ahead and bought the digital code. I don't resell things anyway, and upsold insurance is just so dang annoying.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    various other buildings, via an old article about the Facade Prize:

Kaf__Opera_3927684a.jpg?chk=883D37

Café Opera, a true institution in Bergen.

Klosteret_versj_2483323a.jpg?chk=890F0F

The houses of Klosteret, the Monastery (which is a street and not a monestary, which is street naming similar Strøm quay and lungegårds quay, neither of which are close to the sea, or the washer river, which has no river anywhere near it)

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    DSCN1979_v1hdr.jpg

De Sjøfarendes Fattighus, The Seafarers' Poorhouse.

DSCN1985_v1hdr.jpg

This building is a lot newer than the institution of the seafarer's poorhouse/hospital (it was always both), being from 1896. Since the institution is from from 1571, it stands to reason that it would be unlikely for it to have the same building (and it burned down at least three times)

It's quite interesting how it was funded - it got all of the royal tithe from Vik parish (which is slightly odd, Vik not being anywhere near Bergen), half the proceeds of the shipyard, a docking tax went to it fully, and it got portions of the customs toll, as well.

And it still gets the docking tax - tønnepengene, the barrel money, after the "sea barrel", a buoy the seafarer's poorhouse made. It is not actually a barrel. - which makes it the one and only social institution in norway funded by port fees.

And also the only port fee that is charged by a hospital and not, y'know, a port authority

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Thank goodness I'm not allowed to anymore or I'd post a storm about a witch.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    stop being so pretty Norway

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    h5hHFUt.jpg
    'Taira no Kiyomori's vision of the ghostly garden' by Utagawa Hiroshige (1840)

• Options

It's surprising what not getting bombed to pieces during WW2 can do for the architecture

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    ip1DueT.jpg

From the highway it looks more like this, minus the eye...

latest?cb=20140427122513

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    21st I'm really fascinated that you had no idea who Sally the Witch was, but you did know her by a different name via the localised French version

There's a lot of that exportation and re-contextualising of popular culture which I think tends to get lost in my field of study

anyway, if you need any further vintage magical girl/little witch info, I am a pending doctor of anime

• Options

It's surprising what not getting bombed to pieces during WW2 can do for the architecture

200444d_red1.jpg

Bergen, 1944.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    @So It Goes

I saw y'all talking about it the other night and asked rad what she uses on her feet. She uses TONYMOLY foot peeling shoes from Ulta. I have witnessed the horror of the dead skin and can attest to their effectiveness.

• Options

200444d_red1.jpg

Bergen, 1944.

Wait, then what was I thinking of?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    21st I'm really fascinated that you had no idea who Sally the Witch was, but you did know her by a different name via the localised French version

There's a lot of that exportation and re-contextualising of popular culture which I think tends to get lost in my field of study

anyway, if you need any further vintage magical girl/little witch info, I am a pending doctor of anime

I didn't know they gave out doctorates in sexual perversity.

• Options

200444d_red1.jpg

Bergen, 1944.

The US?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Say what you will about the LDS church, Mormon temples are cool

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

Every doctorate is a perverted endeavour

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Unfortunately, "All My Hexes Live in Texas" isn't going to be very anime...

Also, The version i saw was the localised Quebecois version. in France, she's known as Sally too.

• Options

200444d_red1.jpg

Bergen, 1944.

The US?

Did they have nice architecture at the time? Eventually it all just sort of blends together for me

• Options
    Say what you will about the LDS church, Mormon temples are cool

they're a bit... gauche, but yes also cool

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Getting bombed is how the U.S. started fighting in the war!

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

I actually know a few people doing PhDs in sexual perversity

They're fun people

• Options

Unfortunately, "All My Hexes Live in Texas" isn't going to be very anime...

Also, The version i saw was the localised Quebecois version. in France, she's known as Sally too.

that's even more interesting!

also it's about cute witch girls so it's automatically anime

• Options

It's called "Arizona State"

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Say what you will about the Dark Lord Sauron, he does have good taste in architecture

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    21st I just saw your witch on twitter, it's nice

what aren't you allowed to do? just wondering exactly what you mean (can't post pics, can't post rants about pics, or?)

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options

200444d_red1.jpg

Bergen, 1944.

The US?

Did they have nice architecture at the time? Eventually it all just sort of blends together for me

well, yes, but they didn't get bombed, was my point

although that picture was not after a bombing; an ammunition ship exploded in the harbor and took with it most of downtown. The british, thankfully, didn't do terror bombing of us. Although they still bombed.

In norway, the allies killed a lot more norwegians than the germans did. Which is one of those uncomfortable truths not really talked much about after.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Say what you will about the Dark Lord Sauron, he does have good taste in architecture

N8qsKCp.jpg

Sticks out a bit much tho

• Options

200444d_red1.jpg

Bergen, 1944.

The US?

well, yes, but they didn't get bombed, was my point

although that picture was not after a bombing; an ammunition ship exploded in the harbor and took with it most of downtown. The british, thankfully, didn't do terror bombing of us. Although they still bombed.

In norway, the allies killed a lot more norwegians than the germans did. Which is one of those uncomfortable truths not really talked much about after.

See, this is why Sweden just sort of curls up and cover their ears every time there's a world war on. Smaller countries get fucked no matter who wins.

This discussion has been closed.