Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DOOMED! POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Probably asking the wrong crowd, but for mobile gaming, is there a reason to get the 3DS over the switch?

Assuming I’m equally interested in the games for both because Nintendo. :)

The Switch isn't nearly as suited to portable gaming as the 3DS is, that's why It's called a hybrid. It CAN be played portably, but that's not it's primary function. If you're looking for something purely for portable gaming and you're open to the games then I suggest getting a 3DS. Specifically one of the new 2DSXL's, provided that you don't mind losing the 3D effect.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I love how you refer to that event as having the potential to destroy your switch while at the same time having, what appears to be, no regard for your own life.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Picked up Celeste and regret not buying it earlier. Finished the first section with a cool 100 deaths, and already going back for more berries.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    My personal thoughts on Switch Year 1:

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Probably asking the wrong crowd, but for mobile gaming, is there a reason to get the 3DS over the switch?

Both are amazing, but yeah go with 3DS if you want better mobility and a larger library atm.

I love both though. Working on moons and my farm on my switch and on the 3DS playing through DQ8 for the first time and finishing up Pokemon Sun.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Well, there's a bunch of awesome games on the 3DS that are not (and probably won't ever be) on the Switch.
    The 3DS it's far more resilient to being carried around, and the battery life is several times longer.
    If you like Nintendo games, you wanna have both.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yea, while of course there are people who do play the switch in portable mode 95% of the time, The Switch is marketed as a console that you can take with you, not as a portable handheld system. That's a subtle, but important difference. I'm not going to pull my switch out of my bag, take it out of the case, and play it for 10 minutes while I'm on the go. the 3DS is way better suited for that.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Lower cost and game library. The former can be important if any kids will be around the device.

Portability is also a factor. I have jackets that will fit a Switch in the pocket but not everyone will.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular

The 3DS is:
    -much cheaper
    -much smaller/easier to carry with you
    -much less likely to be damaged or stolen
    and also has way, way more games worth playing available now (though they will have comparable libraries eventually)

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    3ds vs switch
    cost 200 + games versus 300 + games + accessories
    games a plenty versus some killer games but a growing library
    portable size small to medium versus large

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    I love how you refer to that event as having the potential to destroy your switch while at the same time having, what appears to be, no regard for your own life.

Priorities.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    So I was playing Zelda in undocked mode when I noticed this.

1hdhCGkl.jpg

That's not a screen protector, but the screen popping up on the right side. Is this common? I've been treating my Switch very gentle, so I'm surprised this happen so quickly. Kind of a bummer.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

1hdhCGkl.jpg

That's not a screen protector, but the screen popping up on the right side. Is this common? I've been treating my Switch very gentle, so I'm surprised this happen so quickly. Kind of a bummer.

I think it's a known defect issue due to the frame warping. I'd contact Nintendo and start up a warranty claim while you're still in warranty

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Naphtali wrote: »

1hdhCGkl.jpg

I think it's a known defect issue due to the frame warping. I'd contact Nintendo and start up a warranty claim while you're still in warranty

I checked Amazon and it looks like I'm still eligible for a replacement so I did that, so I'll just get my replacement and do my save transfer at home before sending this one back. That way I don't have to chance losing my hours of Zelda to whatever happens at Nintendo, I'll get what will hopefully be a problem-free replacement, and I get to keep playing until the replacement arrives.

So, I guess not that much of a bummer.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

1hdhCGkl.jpg

I checked Amazon and it looks like I'm still eligible for a replacement so I did that, so I'll just get my replacement and do my save transfer at home before sending this one back. That way I don't have to chance losing my hours of Zelda to whatever happens at Nintendo, I'll get what will hopefully be a problem-free replacement, and I get to keep playing until the replacement arrives.

So, I guess not that much of a bummer.

System transfer for the Switch is limited but for the few situations where it comes in handy it can be a life saver.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I know that Nintendo has little real incentive to do so, but I'm surprised that Nintendo doesn't have an "offical" first party sale for the anniversary of the Switch. I know a bunch of retailers are doing sales this week, but I would have love to have seen Nintendo put on some software sales themselves.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Well, I might have bought Skyrim today. So far it seems pretty good. Does it hold your hand long?

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    That way I don't have to chance losing my hours of Zelda to whatever happens at Nintendo

I don’t know what’s more sad, the frame warping issue or that some of us don’t trust Nintendo to not lose our saves. God I hope they get their shit together soon.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    That way I don't have to chance losing my hours of Zelda to whatever happens at Nintendo

I don’t know what’s more sad, the frame warping issue or that some of us don’t trust Nintendo to not lose our saves. God I hope they get their shit together soon.

Yes you've mentioned it many times before. Lol. We get it.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I feel lucky to have never lost my saves since we moved beyond passwords on the NES. But I do remember the frustration.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Well, I might have bought Skyrim today. So far it seems pretty good. Does it hold your hand long?

You can break off the path almost as soon as you can move, but I recommend sticking with it through the first big city, and maybe up through getting your first Shout.

The ability to play that game on a portable made all the difference for me. First time I haven’t bounced off Elder Scrolls within a couple hours.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Yes you've mentioned it many times before. Lol. We get it.

And you're particularly touchy about the subject. Ok fair enough, I have no desire to get drawn into an argument with you about it.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    I'm just saying that we get it. You feel burned or something like that. But every single one of your posts is the same exact thing in this thread.

I legitimately don't care whether you think that Nintendo is backwards or whatever. Seriously I don't. But every one of your posts is the same thing. If all you want to do is complain about something that's fine. I just want to hear something positive come from you at least once. Not even necessarily Nintendo related lol.

I feel like I need to buy you a drink or a game or something to bring your spirits up or something.
    I can't remember if you own a Switch or not.
    But if you do let me know and I'll be sending you a code for a random game.

• Options
    @urahonky I’m sorry, for real sorry. The negative clearly has a way of coming out more than it should (getting counseling for that). I shouldn’t let it be the case here since I’ve been pretty pleased with my Switch so far. The save thing is a particular sore spot since I have been burned by it. Point taken though.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I feel like I need to buy you a drink or a game or something to bring your spirits up or something.
    I can't remember if you own a Switch or not.
    But if you do let me know and I'll be sending you a code for a random game.

Man, do I feel glum. Glum glum glum. I be hating that Nintendo. The Switch can't even play DVDs. Useless.
    ... Do I get a game yet?

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    After 10 days (past the year mark) the playtime counter should show your actual playtime again, the data has not been deleted.

Nintendo is working on a fix anyway:
    Prior to yesterday, this person’s profile said “First played 10 days ago”. But on day 11, things went back to normal. This tells us that on the one-year anniversary of the date when you first play a game, the bug will appear for exactly 10 days. Then on day 11, everything will be restored. It’s just a slightly annoying issue, though one that Nintendo will be fixing in the near future.

https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-confirms-that-the-switch-play-time-display-issue-will-be-fixed-with-an-update-data-not-lost/

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I still remember early Switch days, it wasn't quite launch day, but I suddenly decided I really wanted the Zelda Collector's Edition post-launch. It was super rare in stores and hard to find, and a buddy's aunt was the manager of a Wal-Mart, so through some shady business she was able to set one aside for me, but I had to go get it IMMEDIATELY because, y'know, that sort of thing isn't really supposed to happen. And I got there and I winked at the person in the electronics department, and I nudged them, and I gave them a knowing smile, and after the cops left I said no really there's supposed to be a Zelda set aside for me. And I got it, and went out to my car, and I had a completely flat tire as punishment for my deeds in cheating the system. But I eventually made it home and of course I still use that Sheikah slate case because it's awesome.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Played the Kirby Star Allies demo a bit last night. It was fun and really cute, but it didn't really blow me away or anything, so I'm not gonna get the full game immediately at launch.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    Played the Kirby Star Allies demo a bit last night. It was fun and really cute, but it didn't really blow me away or anything, so I'm not gonna get the full game immediately at launch.

Well of course it didn’t blow you away. Kirby does more inhaling.

Bad dad jokes aside, I’m guessing you played it single player. Isn’t it a co-op game? Probably a lot better with more people.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

Bad dad jokes aside, I’m guessing you played it single player. Isn’t it a co-op game? Probably a lot better with more people.

Yeah, I think it's definitely more fun when playing it with more people. I imagine managing the various abilities, friends and their combinations can get a bit finicky in the tougher levels when playing it on your own.

I'm also not the biggest Kirby fan in general. They're always solid games, but to me they rarely felt exceptional.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Kirby Superstar was the best game in the series, in my opinion. Every other one has been either okay or forgettable.

I still love the pink puff of fluff though.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    I'm also not the biggest Kirby fan in general. They're always solid games, but to me they rarely felt exceptional.

Kirby to me is Nintendo’s Madden, or another annualized series. There are improvements from game to game but for the most part they’re safe and reliable - not overly revolutionary. But I suppose it’s nice for people who enjoy the series. The sun shall rise, the sun shall fall, this year Nintendo will put out a new Kirby.

RidleySaria on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Kirby Superstar was the best game in the series, in my opinion. Every other one has been either okay or forgettable.

I still love the pink puff of fluff though.

Ditto. Every game I've played is like... this is fun, this is a Kirby game, nice set of powerups...

But Superstar was the zenith.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular

I’d have gone with “Shame it didn’t blow you away, but I’m sure it will suck you in eventually”

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I like Kirby's Adventure on NES the best. Solid game all the way through, no gimmicks, ramps up difficulty pretty well, just a good solid game.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I’m just glad we’re getting some first party demos on the eShop.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Thanks, y’all, for the awesome advice!

I also suddenly remembered that the 3DS is almost completely backwards compatible with my DS library and whoops accidentally bought the new galaxy version while at Best Buy to get The Incredibles.

It sucks when the new it department locks down your computer that you travel with - but opportunities arise!

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

At this point? No. 3ds will likely not be active for more than a year or two more.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

At this point? No. 3ds will likely not be active for more than a year or two more.

There is always retro/nitch gaming
    There are groups still into the Vita out there