Options

the only award a [movie] should care about winning is a teen choice award

• Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I'm quite late on this, but I just finished watching Spirited Away, knowing nothing aside from that you probably shouldn't accept things from No Face.

Holy shit. I really wish there were more films that just throw you into a world in that way. I'm so glad that I went in blind.

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Aw, shit
    Duncan Jones's sci-fi thriller is a Netflix disaster

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/feb/23/mute-review-netflix-duncan-jones-sci-fi
    Got an old screenplay in your bottom drawer that’s been rejected by practically everyone in town? Now’s your chance: Netflix seems to be greenlighting second-rate “content” like cinema was going out of style (and if the company’s stream-at-home strategy succeeds, it just might)

http://variety.com/2018/film/reviews/mute-review-netflix-1202708702/

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    DimosarDimosar I am the Brain Genius Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Mute was... a lot

overall I enjoyed it, but there's a scene or two involving a trans sex worker that wouldn't be out of place in some trashy exploitation comedy from the 70's.
    like it's totally indefensibly awkward and bad and inexplicably in the movie?? it's an attempt to subvert noir imagery, I guess?? but only, as you can imagine, in a skin-deep ghoulish fashion that thinks it's so edgy and outrageous and ultimately fetishistic. At least that was my read on the character.

pretty much everything else fit the bill of a tense, lush, weird Duncan Jones Noir thriller. Rudd was very, very good. I hope Jones makes more movies like this (but not EXACTLY like this)

But like,

Duncan.

what the fuck was the deal with that character?? can we just...not? can we not?
    can we not?????

Dimosar on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    the worst film i've seen in a cinema is probably Inland Empire

i know david lynch is supposed to have made some good stuff but jesus christ that was just a slog of vaugely connected artsy scenes

Have you seen other Lynch films? I love Inland Empire, but it's quite different from his other stuff. Most of his movies are way more accessible.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The Phantom Thread always makes me think of a forum thread , possibly like a star wars prequel thread, or a ghosting thread or something. Is a good thread title.

I have no idea what the actual movie is about.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Oh no Jared Leto
    The Phantom Thread always makes me think of a forum thread , possibly like a star wars prequel thread, or a ghosting thread or something. Is a good thread title.

I have no idea what the actual movie is about.

Disfunktional relationships, so very forum appropriate.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Yes, David Lynch, so accessible

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Dimosar wrote: »
    Mute was... a lot

overall I enjoyed it, but there's a scene or two involving a trans sex worker that wouldn't be out of place in some trashy exploitation comedy from the 70's.
    like it's totally indefensibly awkward and bad and inexplicably in the movie?? it's an attempt to subvert noir imagery, I guess?? but only, as you can imagine, in a skin-deep ghoulish fashion that thinks it's so edgy and outrageous and ultimately fetishistic. At least that was my read on the character.

pretty much everything else fit the bill of a tense, lush, weird Duncan Jones Noir thriller. Rudd was very, very good. I hope Jones makes more movies like this (but not EXACTLY like this)

But like,

Duncan.

what the fuck was the deal with that character?? can we just...not? can we not?
    can we not?????

Neat

I mean I didn't give a shit about Duncan Jones before, looks like it's not exactly time to start now

• Options
    DimosarDimosar I am the Brain Genius Registered User regular
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    the worst film i've seen in a cinema is probably Inland Empire

i know david lynch is supposed to have made some good stuff but jesus christ that was just a slog of vaugely connected artsy scenes

Have you seen other Lynch films? I love Inland Empire, but it's quite different from his other stuff. Most of his movies are way more accessible.

david lynch is like if terry gilliam, instead of never finishing a movie, threw several together

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Huh. I only remember the second one, I guess.

First episode he shows up out of nowhere and we learn he is Jordan's brother and Dr. Cox' best friend.

He has a hand wound from a nail gun that's bandaged. He takes candid pictures with an old camera.

Cox, JD, and Fraser go out to play pool. While playing they notice the bandaged hand keeps bleeding and he laments that he had the same problem with a shaving wound from the other day. The doctor's look at each other because they know what it might mean.

They go back, do some blood work, and JD delivers the news to him and Cox that he has cancer. Cox refuses to believe it and tells JD he screwed up. Earlier in the episode they are talking about various mistakes people in the hospital had made so it gets JD thinking that maybe they mixed up the blood sample.

He goes on a witch hunt all through the hospital trying to find the mistake. He ends up at the Hematopathologist who is said to be this giant mean guy all episode. It turns out he is a little friendly guy Dr. Bob but his friends call him Fred. "Fred Bob?"

He tests it and it turns out that there was a mistake and Fraser doesn't have cancer!

They go back to the room and Fraser has them all pose for a picture. JD thinks this is weird because earlier he talked about his he hates posed photos. The scene fades and JD is back in the room. There has been no mistake. He has cancer.

Fin

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Oh wow. Mute has really not good reviews.

• Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    I'm really excited to hear good things about Annihilation. Loved the book, and the trailers nearly drove me away, but the comments above sound like just what I want.

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Yes, David Lynch, so accessible

I mean, compared to Inland Empire, yes, Blue Velvet or Mulhulland Drive are pretty straight forward. Still odd and inscrutable, but Inland Empire is something else and not a good place to start.
    Dimosar wrote: »
    6046e-6a00d8345158fb69e201bb093d093d970d-pi.png

This brings me such joy every time I see it.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    When it comes to arthouse directors, Lynch is easily one of the far more accessible ones when he's put against like, Jodorowsky or Bunuel

For every Inland Empire or Eraserhead, there's an Elephant Man or Twin Peaks, things that are genuine cultural phenomenons

Stuff like Blue Velvet or Mulholland Drive also kind of have reputations as "My First "Arty"" movies, being just accessible enough to bring in a much wider audience than the content of the movie would actually suggest

His name is a genre for a reason

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    When it comes to arthouse directors, Lynch is easily one of the far more accessible ones when he's put against like, Jodorowsky or Bunuel

For every Inland Empire or Eraserhead, there's an Elephant Man or Twin Peaks, things that are genuine cultural phenomenons

Stuff like Blue Velvet or Mulholland Drive also kind of have reputations as "My First "Arty"" movies, being just accessible enough to bring in a much wider audience than the content of the movie would actually suggest

His name is a genre for a reason

Well if you're going to bring Bunuel into this

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Mute seems...okay, being like halfway through it

The main problems here is the central plot is very rote and boring ("oh no, My Girlfriend") when the movie should clearly just be about Paul Rudd, the actually interesting and fun character who has a unique place in the world

the other, potentially worse problem, is this is a very Blade Runner movie released after Blade Runner 2049, which has outdone nearly every movie to ape Blade Runner since it came out (including the original movie, for my money) in visual execution and thematic depth

I dunno, calling it awful or a disaster feels like supreme hyperbole, but it does not seem great for sure

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Mute seems...okay, being like halfway through it

The main problems here is the central plot is very rote and boring ("oh no, My Girlfriend") when the movie should clearly just be about Paul Rudd, the actually interesting and fun character who has a unique place in the world

the other, potentially worse problem, is this is a very Blade Runner movie released after Blade Runner 2049, which has outdone nearly every movie to ape Blade Runner since it came out (including the original movie, for my money) in visual execution and thematic depth

I dunno, calling it awful or a disaster feels like supreme hyperbole, but it does not seem great for sure

Noone saw blade runner 2049 though

And this is a "free" netflix release

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Plenty of people saw Blade Runner 2049

• Options

I thought I had heard it was a colossal flop?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

It made 250 million worldwide and 98 million domestic

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I also don't really see how the box office results are relevant here as I'm just talking about the quality of the film itself

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

It made 250 million worldwide and 98 million domestic

Gotcha, I mean thats not great nowadays but certainly isn't as bad as I'd been lead to believe

Fair enough, I stand corrected

• Options
    I also don't really see how the box office results are relevant here as I'm just talking about the quality of the film itself

My point was that if noone had seen it very few people were going to go "well this is ok but Blade runner 2049 is doing it better", but apparently that's a moot point anyway

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Well it had a budget of $175m so if it made $250m it's either a success, a mild success, a failure, or a tremendous failure depending on what sort of scrying mirror you use

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Well it had a budget of $175m so if it made $250m it's either a success, a mild success, a failure, or a tremendous failure depending on what sort of scrying mirror you use

It had a production budget of around that, but it apparently needed 400 mil to 'break even' so I think that would categorically make it a flop, if it didn't make enough back to be considered profitable? I dunno how those types of things are gauged

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »

It had a production budget of around that, but it apparently needed 400 mil to 'break even' so I think that would categorically make it a flop, if it didn't make enough back to be considered profitable? I dunno how those types of things are gauged

They are gauged in whatever way will pump the most cash directly into the executive producer's pockets.

• Options
    2049 was really really good and I feel like I'm seeing it slowly slide into being remembered as a bad movie & a mistake and it annoys me

Ridley Scott and Rutger Hauer talking shit about it doesn't help much

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I use Hollywood math to solve all my problems.

I'm never wrong!

• Options
    edited February 2018
    2049 was really really good and I feel like I'm seeing it slowly slide into being remembered as a bad movie & a mistake and it annoys me

I wanna be clear: I wasn't attacking 2049 in any way or implying it was bad, I've never seen it

I just thought I had heard it did very poorly

That was the extent of my statement

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    One morning later:

Yep, Annihilation was still a fucked up scary movie, and pretty good sci-fi to boot

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

I wanna be clear: I wasn't attacking 2049 in any way or implying it was bad, I've never seen it

Yeah I'm not saying anything 'bout you, it just reminded me

seeing stuff like Villeneuve saying he "can't make another movie like Arrival or 2049 anymore" just breaks my heart is all

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Yeah I'm not saying anything 'bout you, it just reminded me

seeing stuff like Villeneuve saying he "can't make another movie like Arrival or 2049 anymore" just breaks my heart is all

Because he won't get the kind of budget again?

• Options

I feel as if this thread deserves to see this tribute to Darkman

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    One of the tragedy girls is negasonic teenage warhead

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Darkman fucking owns

Edit: I also really love the Alex Baldwin version of The Shadow but i only watched it like twice when I w as but a wee child

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I love the first Darkman. I watched it again recently and man that movie was a lot more fucked up than I remember.

I've never seen the sequels. As I say about Darkman sequels "No Neeson, no me, son."

Moriveth on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Regardless of whether it was profitable or not, 250 million dollars means a LOT of people saw it, which was the point being made. It's not an obscure arthouse film that you can ape the style of and no one will be the wiser on your influence.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    One morning later:

Yep, Annihilation was still a fucked up scary movie, and pretty good sci-fi to boot

Yepppppp.

I kinda want to watch it again but I'm not sure if I can handle it. Maybe I'll just read the book.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    One of the tragedy girls is negasonic teenage warhead

It legitimately took me over half an hour to realize that.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
This discussion has been closed.