As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D&D 360 Thread (All games Will does not like are for girls.)

• Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What's the matchmaking system like?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    What's the matchmaking system like?

Pretty simple. You can set preferences for maps/gametypes you don't want to play, which it'll just assume stays the same each time unless you go back and change it. Otherwise, you just hit the "find public match" button, and it'll find people. If teams are uneven, it tosses a bot into the match until someone else joins.

I haven't tried the party system yet.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Oh, so it has an actual working matchmaking system, not just a server list?
    That's pretty awesome.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Oh, so it has an actual working matchmaking system, not just a server list?
    That's pretty awesome.

Honestly, I don't know if there even is a server list.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    Anyways, I'll talk a little about the powers/ tech mechanic in Shadowrun. Basically, there are four races, each with a different number of "essence pips", (ranging from around 8 to 16 I think) and some different powers. Magic spells generally cost a certain amount of essence, and spells with persistent effects (barriers, healing trees, resurrection) "locks down" a certain number of pips for as long as the effect persists. Tech powers (things like increased reflexes or firing "smartlink") lock down a certain amount of essence when active as well, though they're generally persistent and don't cost essence to "cast".

The resurrection mechanic is interesting. If you have the rez spell, you can resurrect a fallen teammate assuming his body hasn't been destroyed. The caveat is that it locks down I think four mana pips, and if the resurrecting player dies, the resurrected player starts to rapidly lose health as well and will die soon.

The powers of the races are something like:

Humans: high starting money; no strong drawbacks
    Trolls: if they take damage, essence is burned to increase their armor. They're also slowish
    Elves: if wounded and they have essence, they'll heal in sort of a Halo II/ GoW manner. They're a little faster and more fragile as well
    Dwarves: very high mana pool that recovers very slowly. However, if they get near other players or persistent spells (barriers, trees), they drain mana from the source, refilling their essence rapidly.

Weapons are mostly fairly standard - pistol, smg, semi-auto rifle, shotgun, sword, rocket launcher, sniper, grenades.

There are a lot of powers that can interact in interesting ways. Gliders are a lot of fun, as is teleport.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    So yeah after playing online tonight, Shadowrun is pretty great. Some of you guys get it so we can play.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    I might do that later tonight, if I get bored.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    To answer the question about matchmaking: For matching people on public matches, it uses a hidden "true skill" level to match teams up, and also prioritizes keeping groups of people who joined together on the same team. It seems to do a pretty decent job. If there aren't enough people to make even teams, it populates bots and looks to fill the spot in with a person. It does a pretty good job.

There's also an option for hosting private matches, where presumably you can set up whatever kinds of matchups you want.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    So apparently there are no reviews out because FASA/Microsoft didn't send out review copies to any game websites/publications. The reviewers have to buy their copies.

I'm actually thinking they want this game to die.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've got it. The training missions were interesting, but I got called back into work before I had a chance to play online.

Maybe this weekend.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So you guys're playing SR, huh?

My inner PnP fanboy will be mad at me, but I guess I have to buy it then.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, custom games in Halo 3 have SO many freakin' options to tweak.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah I saw you were playing custom maps last night, Yar. What sorts of settings can you flip?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Like, everything.

There are literally hundreds of settings. Well, dozens. Maybe hundreds. It's hard to tell because there are multiple levels to the menu tree for customization. Many of them just have "Description goes here" for the description, so I wasn't even sure what they did.

Some of the coolest options are in scoring. You can completely control how scoring is done, like penalizing a team -5 for a team kill, or granting 0 points for kills made by the VIP, or granting double points for headshots and assassinations. I think this would be interesting to create a flag/slayer hybrid game where capturing is worth 10 pts, but a kill still earns 1 point. Or create a "totem" style game where holding the ball makes you super-powerful, but you still only score by kills, not by time.

There are aesthetic tweaks, like controlling what the guy with the flag looks like, whether or not he glows, what color he glows, whether or not there is a big arrow over his head, etc.

There are of course all the standard tweaks on shields, damage, etc., but in much more detail than before. You can totally tank or gimp characters or make them variously stategic by, for example, altering the level of camo, speed, damage, and shields for any character carrying the bomb or whatever. They include a couple variations on this for flag games - one where the flag carrier is invisible and super fast but can take very little damage and dish out very little damage, and another where the flag carrier becomes very slow and gets a big marker over his head, but has extra shields and damage resistance and kills instantly with flag swats. Definitely changes the whole concept of ctf.

You can also customize the range of the radar, which is a nice alternative to just "on or off."

Note: I was only looking at the "quick" options, too, which allow you to tweak an existing game type, and I'm only listing a few of those here. Who the hell knows what all is involved in creating an original game type - that isn't available yet that I know of. In Halo 2 there was probably 25 - 50% less customization in quick options than in the came creator.

Yar on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    Anything good in this list? They're on sale for the equivalent of up to 20 Ameribucks.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I've only played DOA4, Kameo and Gun from that list. All three are decent titles and worth 20 bucks. Jeff pays PGR3 a lot, and I've heard good things about Top Spin, though I generally loathe sports titles. There were some complaints about Perfect Dark Zero when it launched but I suspect it's still worth 20 bucks.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    Kameo it is.

Played the first Top Spin with a friend a bit and liked it, but I don't think I'd enjoy it alone.

Echo on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yo we should play some GoW again some time.

Also I got Forza 2 and will take and any all challengers.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'm in. What's a good time for everyone?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm in as well. Time?

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Can't play today; there's a ball game on.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    Can't play today; there's a ball game on.

Well, I think it was implied that today won't be it. We do better scheduling in advance anywho.

(Go Cavs!)

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I didn't mean to imply today, I just sorta wanted to bump this and find a time. I did sorta block out like ~6-8 PST to play games tonight, though, if people want to come online around then.

• Options
    edited June 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    I didn't mean to imply today, I just sorta wanted to bump this and find a time. I did sorta block out like ~6-8 PST to play games tonight, though, if people want to come online around then.

In D&D 360 terms, that might be a bit last minute. I'm game for playin' and all, dunno about ze others. Picking a time this weekend might work too. Maybe we can get Jeffe on, he's the only mod I haven't chainsawed yet.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    3lwap0 wrote: »

In D&D 360 terms, that might be a bit last minute. I'm game for playin' and all, dunno about ze others. Picking a time this weekend might work too. Maybe we can get Jeffe on, he's the only mod I haven't chainsawed yet.
    Yeah -- I never did get games with Haphazard, either, who is available on weekends, and is Saburbia online again? He was without connection when we first were doing this.

• Options
    edited June 2007

Yeah -- I never did get games with Haphazard, either, who is available on weekends, and is Saburbia online again? He was without connection when we first were doing this.

Hrm, how about Sunday or Saturday afternoon of this week? Anyone else?

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Does anyone play Saints Row online? I only played it once. I always wanted to get a crew together and go pimping or something.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Mhh, tell me when you guys are playing on the weekend and I will try to be there.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Weekend afternoon would be ideal.

• Options
    edited June 2007
    I've always hated the term "necroposting" by the way.

• Options
    edited June 2007

Sounds like a especially perverted sex act.

But uh, let's say Saturday afternoon, with Sunday afternoon running backup? Any objections? The game will of course, be GoW. Let's say we fire it up around 5:00 EST, until I get tired of violating your corpses with my chainsaw?

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

But uh, let's say Saturday afternoon, with Sunday afternoon running backup? Any objections? The game will of course, be GoW. Let's say we fire it up around 5:00 EST, until I get tired of violating your corpses with my chainsaw?
    That time works great for me.

• Options
    edited June 2007

That time works great for me.

Sweet. It'd be awesome if we can get a lot of players from the last outing we had.

You hear that Glael? Elk? I'm calling you out. Also, Jeffe must relinquish his manhood if he cannot show up. I'm sorry, but those are the rules.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Sounds good to me.

My TV is broken again - well, more like the dude who "fixed" it last time didn't really fix it. A different dude is coming to look at it tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be good to go for Sat.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Prepare to get your asses whopped.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Sounds good to me.

My TV is broken again - well, more like the dude who "fixed" it last time didn't really fix it. A different dude is coming to look at it tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be good to go for Sat.
    I'm becoming increasingly convinced that this is just a euphemism for "Frankie has hinted that this weekend might be time for our once a month sexual encounter, and as such I need to keep my schedule open lest it be our special time."

• Options
    edited June 2007
    Also Hap if you don't make it this time I'm just going to assume you're too scared of my 1337 skills.

• Options
    edited June 2007
    I'm becoming increasingly convinced that this is just a euphemism for "Frankie has hinted that this weekend might be time for our once a month sexual encounter, and as such I need to keep my schedule open lest it be our special time."
    Man once a month?! Shit I couldn't keep up a pace like that what are you nuts?

TV seems to be fixed by the way. So I'm in.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Also Hap if you don't make it this time I'm just going to assume you're too scared of my 1337 skills.

I'm trembling in my boots. Except I don't wear boots and I'm not trembling. :P

But yeah, I suck.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I am shooting for 2 PST on Saturday and have explicitly cleared that part of my schedule to get some games in. Y'all better not let me down.