As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spaceflight & Exploration] Thread

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I thought carbon fiber didn't do great at exceptionally low temperatures?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    It must be at least adequate because they still use carbon overwrapped pressure vessels to hold helium in the Falcon 9 liquid oxygen tank.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

The problem with carbon fibre at low temperatures is the resin rather than the fibre itself. Apparently, SpaceX has found/developed a suitable low-temp alternative that doesn’t delaminate at lox scale temperatures? They seem to be pretty confident they can make this stuff fly…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

The problem with carbon fibre at low temperatures is the resin rather than the fibre itself. Apparently, SpaceX has found/developed a suitable low-temp alternative that doesn’t delaminate at lox scale temperatures? They seem to be pretty confident they can make this stuff fly…

I know the Electron rocket has apparently solved it, so I guess I'm not super surprised, just curious.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    I don't know if there is going to be a stream of it, but India will be launching a rocket in a little over 12 hours.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Space!

https://youtu.be/LPvfeOiKbm8
    NASA wrote:
    NASA’s Juno mission has provided the first view of the dynamo, or engine, powering Jupiter's magnetic field. The new global portrait reveals unexpected irregularities and regions of surprising magnetic field intensity.
    Red areas show where magnetic field lines emerge from the planet, while blue areas show where they return. As Juno continues its mission, it will improve our understanding of Jupiter's complex magnetic environment.

edit:
    Posted too soon...

https://youtu.be/By6sZ6RGCEQ

Low 3-D Flyover of Jupiter’s North Pole in Infrared

davidsdurions on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    As usually happens each year, the April 12 anniversary of Vostok 1 has snuck up on us. Though most people in this thread probably know, Vostok 1 was the 1961 mission that put the first human space traveler, Cosmonaut Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin, into orbit, followed in subsequent weeks by astronaut Alan Shepard's first sub-orbital flight.

https://youtu.be/MzzBr65ZFwM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLBy-8vdeww

(2013 movie with a totally wicked Korolev cross at 8:05)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Looks like India's launch last night was successful, making it their third attempted, and third successful launch, this year. They plan on launching their fourth this year in May.

The footage isn't great, but not everyone can be SpaceX.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxhDH8CoQTs

• Options
    ULA launched a rocket from Florida last night, carrying stuff for USAF.

https://youtu.be/YbOg_4rrJxc

Tomorrow, from Cape Canaveral as well, SpaceX will be launching TESS.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    Apparently TESS is going into enough of an elliptical orbit (or at least the second stage will be, I assume TESS will round itself out from there) that instead of bringing the second stage back in, they are flinging it out into a graveyard orbit. Thought that was an interesting tidbit, and it's nice to hear SpaceX is worried about things like Kessler Syndrome. Although I guess their business depends on avoiding it.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I love how counter intuitive orbital mechanics can be. Why yes, it does take more fuel to "just" fall back to earth than it does to fly farther into space.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    I love how counter intuitive orbital mechanics can be. Why yes, it does take more fuel to "just" fall back to earth than it does to fly farther into space.

You can think of it in the sense that you are already in orbit going into a bigger orbit versus already in orbit going back to Earth.

I'm not sure if that's more intuitive or not, but it helped me when I was first learning about gravity and orbits in school.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Depends ...

If you can drop your periapsis low enough, you can just let atmospheric drag handle the rest, and that might be less fuel required than the graveyard orbit.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Apparently TESS is going into enough of an elliptical orbit (or at least the second stage will be, I assume TESS will round itself out from there) that instead of bringing the second stage back in, they are flinging it out into a graveyard orbit. Thought that was an interesting tidbit, and it's nice to hear SpaceX is worried about things like Kessler Syndrome. Although I guess their business depends on avoiding it.

There's a lot that went into the TESS orbit! They had to design an orbit that allowed them to meet their mission objectives while mounting only 200 m/s ΔV and a small antenna on the observatory, freeing up their limited budget for better optics and processing. Scott Manley has a nice explainer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhHP6-GGeuI

Tynnan on
  • Options
    I didn't catch from Scott's video when the satellite would disconnect from the second stage, but yeah, I guess if its going to be carrying the satellite that far out, a burn to bring it back into atmosphere would be a little ridiculous.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Assuming the weather and engineering gods aren't jerks to the countdown, the TESS launch livestream will be available here in about forty minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY-0uBIYYKk

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    T minus 9 minutes!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Successful stage 1 landing! They managed to keep the on-booster camera running the whole time, but the drone ship camera cut off. Now, 39 minutes of coasting.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Temporal ParadoxTemporal Paradox Registered User regular
    That never gets old. :biggrin:

• Options
    Watching those grid fins wiggling on the way down was entertaining.

• Options
    Second stage successfully reignited and completed it's burn.

• Options
    Second stage successfully reignited and completed it's burn.

Scott Manley did a video on why the TESS's orbit is so weird.

It is.. weird.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    And awesome!

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    So scott mentioned the stage 1 usually swings out before landing to mitigate damage to the droneship, but it looks like it didn't do that this time? just straight down PLOP!

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    So scott mentioned the stage 1 usually swings out before landing to mitigate damage to the droneship, but it looks like it didn't do that this time? just straight down PLOP!

It's really hard to see from the rockets perspective, and it's only off by 300ft, which isn't much in the grand scheme of things.

My understanding is that they aim to one side of the boat, and then use the suicide slam to line things up at the last second.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »

It's really hard to see from the rockets perspective, and it's only off by 300ft, which isn't much in the grand scheme of things.

My understanding is that they aim to one side of the boat, and then use the suicide slam to line things up at the last second.

Yup It does not need to aim that far away but you want it not going directly at the landing target incase engines fail to ignite you can see some of these on some of the failures where they look like they just miss the platform. The adjustment needed is small so if everything works well it looks seamless.

• Options
    Two launches coming up this week, neither of them carrying or launched by U.S. interests.

ESA is launching a Rockot... rocket on the 25th, 1:57 PM EDT, carrying what looks like a satellite to look at the Earth, and how much we've ruined it.

China is launching a Long March 11(? I have no idea what the number signifies) on the 26th, 12:40 AM EDT with something to take pictures of the Earth. I guess. Is there a site where you can play "Where will the boosters land" bingo? That sounds like a great idea.

• Options
    It's just the eleventh model proposed for the Long March series of rockets. Sub variants (like 3A, 3B, 3C, etc.) don't get their own numbers, and some main models (like 9) are still under consideration--the model numbers can keep going, so Long March 11 can be launched before Long March 9 is even finalized on paper.

• Options
    Hopefully they stop bringing the stages down in residential areas.

I like being on the opposite hemisphere from Long March launches, given how the last several have gone. I'm pretty comfortable with the amount of hydrazine in my diet as it stands.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    67p is very much not orbited by Rosetta. I want to say they crashed it into the surface in 2016.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Rosetta is very much orbiting 67p. It’s lander Philae(sp?) landed on it in 2014

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Rosetta is very much orbiting 67p. It’s lander Philae(sp?) landed on it in 2014

Rosetta itself was deorbited in September 2016

• Options
    Gah, I knew the orbiter got close to the comet but wow. How many centimeters from 67p was Rosetta when it took those?

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Gah, I knew the orbiter got close to the comet but wow. How many centimeters from 67p was Rosetta when it took those?

Probably not many, easier to just mount a really good optical zoom instead.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Blue Origin did another test launch yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUV53Nn3PhA

• Options
    Two launches coming up this week, neither of them carrying or launched by U.S. interests.

ESA is launching a Rockot... rocket on the 25th, 1:57 PM EDT, carrying what looks like a satellite to look at the Earth, and how much we've ruined it.

China is launching a Long March 11(? I have no idea what the number signifies) on the 26th, 12:40 AM EDT with something to take pictures of the Earth. I guess. Is there a site where you can play "Where will the boosters land" bingo? That sounds like a great idea.

Both of these launches went off with out a hitch.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    NASA's next Mars Lander mission is supposed to be launching this coming Saturday:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/30/science/mars-insight-launch.html

This discussion has been closed.