As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    My 5x just did something similar (it shut itself down and didn't try to restart itself, but can't get past the white Google logo. Booting to the bootloader or whatever didn't help any either).

Talked to Google (I'm on Fi) and LG and neither could do anything to help me via chat. Per LG mine has also succumbed to the bootloop issue which they'll fix for free. Apparently they're replacing the motherboard. Previously people just got a cash payout.

I was really hoping the phone would at least last until the new Pixels are announced. If they pay me out instead of replacing the motherboard I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I need the wifi calling a Fi approved phone gets me (the phone is basically useless without it when I'm in my apartment/office), and was interested in the Pixel 2 XL (I have big hands) but it's also made by LG and apparently is having some hardware issue.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I thought the only hardware issue with the Pixel 2 XL - at least that I'd heard of - was problems with the screen in the first run of units (uneven lighting, color banding, even blotchiness). The V30 had a similar issue on early units, but it was fixed for the next batch. My own V30 has no screen problems; on the contrary, it's glorious. I would hope the same is true of current Pixel 2 XLs.

IIRC, LG identified the issue that was causing the bootlooping (which can affect the G4, G5 and Nexus 5X) - it was a hardware problem with components actually working their way loose over time - so with any luck it won't be an issue on subsequent devices, and a motherboard replacement should be a permanent fix.

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, turns out that's what has happened - the bootloop. I didn't realise what that actually looked like when it happened. But, I've got a claim open with LG Canada Support and it's actually just shipped out to them now for repair. Shipped at their cost and they didn't mention anything about a bill, so hopefully this gets back to me soon and still free.

My fiance just took up a sweet deal from Koodo and nabbed a Pixel 2, so I'm kind of jealous... but we can't really afford to upgrade both phones right now anyway. *sigh*

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    So I ended up going ahead and pulling the trigger on a Pixel 2, surprisingly quick turnaround, I bought it yesterday and it's already here. Not opening the box until my case shows up, I ended up going with some super basic one, I figure if I end up caring enough to get a fancy one I can work out what I want then.

Gotta get ahead of the bootloop before it gets me too.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    wunderbar wrote: »
    LaOs wrote: »
    What the heck?

I'm sitting here at work and my phone just shut itself down. (It's a Nexus 5X and I haven't had any problems with it at all.) All of a sudden I see the screen wake up and it's got the white Google name across the screen. It sits at that for a little while and then the four coloured balls come on screen, so I think it's just rebooting for some reason (I didn't tell it to do anything, actually). But now it's off and just... dead. It's not turning back on at all. I've got it plugged in now since maybe it suddenly had the battery die (from 89% when I last checked about ten minutes ago, though). But it's still non-responsive.

What the heck is up with my phone?

You, my friend, have succumed to the well known Nexus 5X boot loop.

https://www.thestar.com/business/personal_finance/2018/04/16/lg-google-nexus-phone-defect-leaves-consumers-stuck-in-an-endless-loop.html

Yup, I've sent two phones off to warranty service to fix this.

EDIT: Scratch that, it has happened once to my wife's 5X and twice to mine. Fixed for free each time.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Ah, bendgate, rearing it's ugly head.

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    I had greater expectations of Purolator than I should have. The repair shop won't get my phone until Monday. Hopefully they don't need to keep it too long and I can still get it back next week.

It feels so strange not having my phone. I basically have no idea what time it is anymore. lol!

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    LaOs wrote: »
    I had greater expectations of Purolator than I should have. The repair shop won't get my phone until Monday. Hopefully they don't need to keep it too long and I can still get it back next week.

It feels so strange not having my phone. I basically have no idea what time it is anymore. lol!

Do you have a compass?

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Anyone have experience with the XperiFirm and flashing to Sony phones? I did it before to change my firmware to actually get updates, but I don't remember if it wipes the phone.

I don't think so...

工事中
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Has anyone had any issues with videos playing in the Android Chrome browser? Specifically, anything on Twitter skips ahead every few seconds, but the YouTube app is totally fine. I also tried Firefox (the Focus version), and I still got skipping, but it seems reduced.

I'm running Pixel 2, Android 8.1.0

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    I noticed that on my Note 8 the other day (yesterday?); Chrome on Android 8.0.

The skip always seemed to be in the first couple of seconds and it'd only happen once so starting the video over wasn't too much of a hassle.

Oddly I don't think I've had the issue when watching Twitter clips linked via these forums so maybe it has something to do with Twitter's website?

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

The skip always seemed to be in the first couple of seconds and it'd only happen once so starting the video over wasn't too much of a hassle.

Oddly I don't think I've had the issue when watching Twitter clips linked via these forums so maybe it has something to do with Twitter's website?

What do you mean about the Twitter clips? Are you talking about the way Vanilla expands links to embed them in the post?

Hmm... you would think it's the same player, but maybe Vanilla has their own media player for Twitter embeds?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    templewulf wrote: »

What do you mean about the Twitter clips? Are you talking about the way Vanilla expands links to embed them in the post?

Hmm... you would think it's the same player, but maybe Vanilla has their own media player for Twitter embeds?

Yeah, I couldnt think of the word embedded...I need to find a twitter video on these forums to see if I hit the same issue.

• Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    Man, I feel like I'm using a different app from most of you. I ditched Spotify and amazon music for Google play music and I haven't looked back. The only thing I miss from Spotify is seeing what my friends are listening to. I mainly stream on wifi and download playlists or albums for when I'm on the go. Mix of my uploaded music and their stuff. I don't have issues on the website either, I just use it in the browser though and I don't use any desktop application for it.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Case finally got here, Pixel 2 is unboxed and active. Sucker reboots notably faster than the 5x did, which is handy because apparently it can't just do all the security updates in one shot so a new one pops up every few minutes.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options

Yeah, I couldnt think of the word embedded...I need to find a twitter video on these forums to see if I hit the same issue.

Here's one with a Twitter video and a YouTube version in the same post - new trailer for the forthcoming Doctor Who: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/39852803/#Comment_39852803

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

Here's one with a Twitter video and a YouTube version in the same post - new trailer for the forthcoming Doctor Who: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/39852803/#Comment_39852803

Didn't skip when watching the embedded tweet on the forums, video did skip when I hit the link and watched it on Twitter's website.

Didn't check YouTube as I haven't noticed a problem there.

• Options
    I can't seem to get the skip. Chrome & Twitter app on 8.0. Will update if I get it.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    jjae2123 wrote: »
    Man, I feel like I'm using a different app from most of you. I ditched Spotify and amazon music for Google play music and I haven't looked back. The only thing I miss from Spotify is seeing what my friends are listening to. I mainly stream on wifi and download playlists or albums for when I'm on the go. Mix of my uploaded music and their stuff. I don't have issues on the website either, I just use it in the browser though and I don't use any desktop application for it.

I like the Android app well enough, but navigating it is kinda crap. Don't use it on desktop though. Which brings up another complaint. Having Music All Access/YouTube Red but living overseas, I get the unlimited music and no ads on video benefits, but not the others like backgrounder YouTube app playing or the ability to add a podcast from a URL. I'm just saying, does the ability to download a YouTube video for offline really need to be geolocked?

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Decided to try out that Poweramp mentioned last page since it has a free trial, took a bit of poking to figure out how to do the shuffle by album, but I got there. Handy stuff, though I'm gonna have to go through and tweak some of the multi-disc albums so that they're under a single list. Also, is something going strange on my end or do its notification/lock screen interfaces not work right?

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Decided to try out that Poweramp mentioned last page since it has a free trial, took a bit of poking to figure out how to do the shuffle by album, but I got there. Handy stuff, though I'm gonna have to go through and tweak some of the multi-disc albums so that they're under a single list. Also, is something going strange on my end or do its notification/lock screen interfaces not work right?

Yeah as of Android 8 I think, they aren't working correctly. Wasn't sure if that was just mine. And I don't think they're updating it anymore unfortunately.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Mmm. Now if only there was a way to get the Assistant thing to not want to run to the online services whenever I ask it for music. It is hella dumb that I can have the beat saber OST physically in the phone's storage, but asking for it goes "but that's not available in the free section of Google Play Music's library"
    :edit: I mean, my previous phone's voice command stuff was smart enough to be able to do that (though it always misheard Pyre as Empire), now I'm on a shiny pixel 2 and suddenly it doesn't know how to offline.

NEO|Phyte on
  • Options
    Mmm. Now if only there was a way to get the Assistant thing to not want to run to the online services whenever I ask it for music. It is hella dumb that I can have the beat saber OST physically in the phone's storage, but asking for it goes "but that's not available in the free section of Google Play Music's library"
    :edit: I mean, my previous phone's voice command stuff was smart enough to be able to do that (though it always misheard Pyre as Empire), now I'm on a shiny pixel 2 and suddenly it doesn't know how to offline.

I think you can set it to use a different music app by default. Other apps will probably handle it better.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I use PlayerPro as my offline music player app. It doesn't seem to have that shuffle entire albums feature - or if it does I can't find it - but it does still get updates, and the notification and lock screen controls work fine for me (on 8.0). It has a free trial (which is a separate app).

Jazz on
  • Options
    LD50 wrote: »

I think you can set it to use a different music app by default. Other apps will probably handle it better.
    Unfortunately the app options you are allowed to set for the Assistant are limited to the streaming services ones. Only way I've found to get it to go off of local library is to tell it to use poweramp every single time I talk to it.

• Options
    My phone is asking if I want to update to Android 9. I am not overly particular about how my phone handles, so I should be fine on whatever UI changes they've stuffed in there, my primary concern is if 9 has existed long enough for any major bugs to be worked out already.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Developer Preview was released in May. I would think it's good by now. I've had no issues so far. Also it fixed my biggest complaint about Poweramp, the notification shade buttons are visible again!

E: My only gripe thus far is how much more clunky it is to do split screen. It was so easy before.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    E: My only gripe thus far is how much more clunky it is to do split screen. It was so easy before.
    I never used split-screen that frequently, but while it's a bit more clunky overall you can tap the app icon instead of long-pressing it to bring up the menu.

It's been smooth sailing thus far. I've been test driving the gestures and it seems the suggested apps at the bottom of the overview don't appear with Nova Launcher. A long swipe up doesn't bring up the app drawer, either. I haven't looked into whether this is a limitation in 9.0 or something Nova needs an update to support.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    I never used split-screen that frequently, but while it's a bit more clunky overall you can tap the app icon instead of long-pressing it to bring up the menu.

It's been smooth sailing thus far. I've been test driving the gestures and it seems the suggested apps at the bottom of the overview don't appear with Nova Launcher. A long swipe up doesn't bring up the app drawer, either. I haven't looked into whether this is a limitation in 9.0 or something Nova needs an update to support.

It'd be nice if they put the icon at the bottom middle or corner instead of at the top. I like being able to do it with one hand.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yea 9 should be stable. It hit the essential phone the same day as the google released it for Pixels, so hilariously essential phones got it before all pixels did.

I've been running it since the first public beta and it's 100% stable.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    yea 9 should be stable. It hit the essential phone the same day as the google released it for Pixels, so hilariously essential phones got it before all pixels did.

I've been running it since the first public beta and it's 100% stable.

The one guy in our office with an Essential Phone made a big point of messaging everyone to tell us he already got Pie.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm disappointed it was called Pie and not Peanut Butter because I love Peanut Butter.

• Options
    Yooooo if you have your phone set to locked orientation and rotate it, a little button appears that will let you rotate the screen!

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    I kinda don't like Pie's new animation when navigating an app (the second animation shown here). It's feels a little janky to me when I'm in my preffered messaging app and switching around chats a bunch.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Yooooo if you have your phone set to locked orientation and rotate it, a little button appears that will let you rotate the screen!
    As someone who hates auto-rotate that is seriously one of the best features. I rarely need landscape unless I'm using an app like Photos, so it's much more convenient than temporarily enabling auto-rotate.

The magnifier for text selection is handy, but that wasn't something I ever needed back when Android (at least on my old Note 4) used bars as the text selection handles. When Google changed it to what it is today my fingers typically obscured whatever I was trying to select due to how small the handles are.

And finally the volume buttons default to media volume and not the ringer.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Very interesting that I have a Pixel XL and have yet to receive notification that an upgrade is available (I'm on AT&T but bought it unlocked, FWIW).

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Very interesting that I have a Pixel XL and have yet to receive notification that an upgrade is available (I'm on AT&T but bought it unlocked, FWIW).

I had to opt in to the Android Beta Program in order to get the OTA update to appear. It should show up soon if you don't but that way you can get it immediately.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

Go to settings -> system -> updates (or something like that, I'm on Pie now and I can't remember what the Oreo version was called). Check for updates and you should get it right away.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Remember, google pushes updates out in waves/stages. Not every phone will get it day 1, or 2 or 3. It usually takes a couple weeks before it hits every device.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    I'm on Verizon and manually checked for the update when I saw it was out, I never signed up for the beta program. Sometimes it takes a second try, I think.

If you absolutely must have it now sideloading is an option.