As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Home Hub looks great, might try to swing it for Christmas. Pixel 3 on order with stand. The camera upgrades look fantastic, smaller form factor finally nixing the chin and bezels. Good to go. Wireless charging? Heck yes. Hated how they lost that in between Nexus and Pixel.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    The mullet is a legit fashion accessory and it's just waiting for the right moment to make its comeback.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I'll be getting the 3 XL. I really don't give a shit about the notch. It's such a nothing thing, every time I go on The Internet, I'm amazed at how much people care about it.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I'll be getting the 3 XL. I really don't give a shit about the notch. It's such a nothing thing, every time I go on The Internet, I'm amazed at how much people care about it.

If I'm paying around $1000 for a phone I'm going to make a big deal out of things.

Especially since notchless phones look so much better.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Looking at phones the past few months, I've concluded that I don't care about the notch.

Visually it bugged me initially because it was so noticeable and just different than the norm; but the more I see it the more used to it I've become.

I have to be completely honest and say that a particular reaction I see to notches (that it somehow reduces screen space) bugs me so much that it probably made me want to be ok with it even more. Maybe I would have maintained ambivalence to it otherwise, but when I repeatedly see something that is demonstrably incorrect, about something, it causes me to look at it even closer.

So yeah, I preordered the 3 XL. It had all the features I wanted and have been looking for, it is completely stock Android obviously, that I am so used to now (had the base nexus 6 since it launched, and prior then-google-owned motorolas), and Google put wireless charging back in which was one of the major factors against me bothering with the first two pixels. That might be minor for some people, but given that up until relatively recently my Nexus 6 had been functioning well enough that I didn't need an upgrade, the lack of wireless charging was just a feature that I'm too attached to, that I didn't feel the need to upgrade.

But a few months of constant locking up, shutting down for no reason several times a day, and not being able to run anything other than one or two tabs in a browser and youtube; it was time.

Bit confused as the google main site says shipping no later than Oct 18, but when I ordered it via my google fi account it says arrives 24th-26th. Ah well.

Stoked about getting a phone that will be able to run anything again, and maybe I can play games again if I'm not up for toting around my Switch case. We will see how it goes!

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Screen protectors, though.

Apparently the new pixels, along with pretty much all phones now, have curved edges on the front, making it impossible to get tempered glass protectors that go on the curve. Yet that curve still has some screen space.

My wife got a G6 a few months ago and the screen protector doesn't go to either edge because of the curve. I don't think she cares, but it would drive me nuts.

Is there any solution to this?

I don't traditionally put a screen protector on my phones (I put them in a backing case, but keep them in a wallet thing when carry them around so the screen is never exposed if it's not immediately in my hands or on the charger), but I've also never spent $1k on a phone.

EDIT: Just looked at my old nexus (don't have a screen protector) and noticed that under the case the edges are curved too; but the screen doesn't go to the edges on it so it wouldn't have mattered. Now I'm concerned that a case protector is going to cover the edges of the screen too. :rotate:

EDITEDIT: Looking closer at the 3XL it doesn't go right up to the edge either like some other phones. Hmmmm. I'll just hold off on a screen protector until I have it in my hands and see how much, if any, of the visible screen itself under any curved glass.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Typically, you can get the "film" protectors that are flexible enough to cover the edges. If you want tempered glass, you're SOL.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Screen protectors, though.

Apparently the new pixels, along with pretty much all phones now, have curved edges on the front, making it impossible to get tempered glass protectors that go on the curve. Yet that curve still has some screen space.

My wife got a G6 a few months ago and the screen protector doesn't go to either edge because of the curve. I don't think she cares, but it would drive me nuts.

Is there any solution to this?

I don't traditionally put a screen protector on my phones (I put them in a backing case, but keep them in a wallet thing when carry them around so the screen is never exposed if it's not immediately in my hands or on the charger), but I've also never spent $1k on a phone.

EDIT: Just looked at my old nexus (don't have a screen protector) and noticed that under the case the edges are curved too; but the screen doesn't go to the edges on it so it wouldn't have mattered. Now I'm concerned that a case protector is going to cover the edges of the screen too. :rotate:

EDITEDIT: Looking closer at the 3XL it doesn't go right up to the edge either like some other phones. Hmmmm. I'll just hold off on a screen protector until I have it in my hands and see how much, if any, of the visible screen itself under any curved glass.

Fwiw, on my Pixel 2 XL (and seemingly, by looking at the Pixel 3 XL, it's the same) this isn't the case. It's curved on the side but the actual display part of the screen stops where it starts to curve. "Good" screen protectors have a curved adhesive section on the sides, obviously the tempered glass stops where it starts to curve but this doesn't actually block the screen, if that's what you're worried about? For my Pixel 2 XL screen protector the sides ended up looking more or less the same with or without the screen protector.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Welp, not super enthused about the Pixel 3XL, but my current phone is 4 years old and the battery is dying, so I need a new phone. Considering I don't have a surfeit of options for new phones to use with Google fi, I ordered one. Considering that I also work for a mobile publisher, I'm just chalking this up as a work expense. Really I'm just happy to have a new phone after so long, I just wish it was a little better.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    For the curved glass, a case with a lip that extended past the phone (chin and... forehead I guess?) kept my S7 Edge in near perfect condition.

I'm doing the same for my Note 9 with a Spigen Neo Hybrid (blue and silver).

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Thinking of nabbing this case for my Pixel 3XL. Thoughts? And should I go black or navy blue?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Looking at phones the past few months, I've concluded that I don't care about the notch. I have to be completely honest and say that a particular reaction I see to notches (that it somehow reduces screen space) bugs me so much that it probably made me want to be ok with it even more. Maybe I would have maintained ambivalence to it otherwise, but when I repeatedly see something that is demonstrably incorrect, about something, it causes me to look at it even closer.

I can't speak for anyone else, I don't dislike the notch because it reduces screen space (mathematically, at least, it literally does not). I dislike it because I find it to be a solution to something I didn't think was a problem, and a bad one at that. I want the top edge to be symmetrical with the bottom, to allow for as many (or as few) system icons as I'd prefer. I know some people hate the word "bezel", but on a phone, it has a practical purpose for me: I want to be able to hold the phone comfortably without obscuring screen elements. Laptop screens don't have a chunk cut out of them to make room for the webcam/facial ID sensor/speaker either.

But that's just me. I prefer fingerprint unlocking to facial ID anyway, especially since unlike on a Surface Pro, the fingerprint scanner is always immediately accessible on the phone.

• Options
    I'm partial to Spigen cases, myself.

• Options
    I've been very happy with every Incipio case I ever bought.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Looking at phones the past few months, I've concluded that I don't care about the notch. I have to be completely honest and say that a particular reaction I see to notches (that it somehow reduces screen space) bugs me so much that it probably made me want to be ok with it even more. Maybe I would have maintained ambivalence to it otherwise, but when I repeatedly see something that is demonstrably incorrect, about something, it causes me to look at it even closer.

I can't speak for anyone else, I don't dislike the notch because it reduces screen space (mathematically, at least, it literally does not). I dislike it because I find it to be a solution to something I didn't think was a problem, and a bad one at that. I want the top edge to be symmetrical with the bottom, to allow for as many (or as few) system icons as I'd prefer. I know some people hate the word "bezel", but on a phone, it has a practical purpose for me: I want to be able to hold the phone comfortably without obscuring screen elements. Laptop screens don't have a chunk cut out of them to make room for the webcam/facial ID sensor/speaker either.

But that's just me. I prefer fingerprint unlocking to facial ID anyway, especially since unlike on a Surface Pro, the fingerprint scanner is always immediately accessible on the phone.

If windows laptops organized the system tray, time, etc at the top then they could do a notch. There's not really a reason to notch them as is. There is a reason to notch phones because you can shove the notifications, clock, signal strength, etc to the ears and free up more space for your apps.

Spigen makes a good case, I've also enjoyed the google fabric and live cases in the past.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Trying to decide whether the wireless charging is worth getting a 3 instead of just getting a now-cheaper 2XL. Lack of headphone jack is making a strong argument that it is not.

• Options
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Trying to decide whether the wireless charging is worth getting a 3 instead of just getting a now-cheaper 2XL. Lack of headphone jack is making a strong argument that it is not.

As someone who was brought over to wireless charging with the Nokia Lumia's, and likes it on his LG G6+, I really don't think it is if you're at all used to using a headphone jack.

• Options
    I never understood the need for a headphone jack but I guess I'm not in that market at all. Once wireless headphones had decent battery life for the cost I was all over that shit. The Jabra Elite 65t is pretty fucking awesome and it never gets tangled or caught on shit.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    I'm still looking for a pair of wireless earbuds that match the audio quality of my Senheissers without costing as much as the phone themselves. And I'm never going to lose or misplace them, which is a constant complaint I hear from everyone I know whose purchased Apple's own wireless headphones, which is only a good thing.

(Of course, this is why a high quality DAC makes a difference to me.)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    I mean if you're that hardcore audiophile about it I bet a lot of that crowd is packing a headphone amp anyways so...

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    The pricing is completely ridiculous in Europe

859€ for the 64 GB Pixel 3
    959€ for the 128 GB Pixel 3

959€ for the 64 GB Pixel 3 XL
    1059€ for the 128 GB Pixel 3 XL

What the fuck Google

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I mean if you're that hardcore audiophile about it I bet a lot of that crowd is packing a headphone amp anyways so...

I imagine hardcore audiophiles would take offense to that, knowing my standards. I don't want to carry extra stuff around with me--which ironically ends up being another strike against wireless earphones.

• Options

I imagine hardcore audiophiles would take offense to that, knowing my standards. I don't want to carry extra stuff around with me--which ironically ends up being another strike against wireless earphones.

But you're carrying headphones around anyways...

• Options

Which is still more convenient than carrying around two separate earphones and a charging case for them.

• Options

Which is still more convenient than carrying around two separate earphones and a charging case for them.

Agree to disagree I guess.

• Options
    Of course. It's just the "headphone amp" answer really isn't one outside of what I'm confident is a very select group--the comparison is "wired earphones" versus "two separate earphones and potentially a carrying case".

At least the carrying case cuts down the likelihood of misplacing only one earphone somewhere. It just ends up being another thing to carry though.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to stick with the headphone jack. I do call center work, and work overtime shifts from home frequently, so I need to be able to charge my phone and use headphones at the same time.

Of course, I could get the wireless charging stand or some wireless headphones, but that's extra money and an extra point of possible failure when I'm working, so...meh.

• Options

If windows laptops organized the system tray, time, etc at the top then they could do a notch. There's not really a reason to notch them as is. There is a reason to notch phones because you can shove the notifications, clock, signal strength, etc to the ears and free up more space for your apps.

Spigen makes a good case, I've also enjoyed the google fabric and live cases in the past.

Or you can make the same screen size without a notch and have a better screen and a bezel a couple of mm's thick on the top and bottom.

The notch is a technological compromise that if it were to debut on any other phone would get laughed out of the market... but since it released on an Apple product we're stuck with it's stupid little ass for a few more years.

• Options
    If the display was exactly the same size though, you'd be making the phone bigger. Getting rid of the notch doesn't add usable screen area since now all the area you denotched is just part of notification/status bar, and since the front facing camera/speaker have to go somewhere, now you've made the phone taller. The notch isn't extending down into the screen, the screen is extending up into the bezel.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    If the display was exactly the same size though, you'd be making the phone bigger. Getting rid of the notch doesn't add usable screen area since now all the area you denotched is just part of notification/status bar, and since the front facing camera/speaker have to go somewhere, now you've made the phone taller. The notch isn't extending down into the screen, the screen is extending up into the bezel.

If you can honestly hold 2 pieces of plastic in your hand and tell the difference between the 144 and 146 mm one, then I commend you.

Because the notch puts a 10mm thick chunk of black into a screen that would otherwise need to be 2mm longer to accommodate a bezel.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular

Or you can make the same screen size without a notch and have a better screen and a bezel a couple of mm's thick on the top and bottom.

The notch is a technological compromise that if it were to debut on any other phone would get laughed out of the market... but since it released on an Apple product we're stuck with it's stupid little ass for a few more years.

So where are you putting the front camera?

• Options
    Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to stick with the headphone jack. I do call center work, and work overtime shifts from home frequently, so I need to be able to charge my phone and use headphones at the same time.

Of course, I could get the wireless charging stand or some wireless headphones, but that's extra money and an extra point of possible failure when I'm working, so...meh.

For me, we have very strict policies against Bluetooth use at work. And to my knowledge, all adapters don't allow you to charge and listen at the same time. When I'm not at home (i.e. car, walking dog, etc.) I do use bluetooth for audio. There are also relatively rare occasions (such as trying to get my phone to play nice with my wife's car; or on longer flights where battery life is an issue) where a headphone jack is the simple solution.

• Options
    SirToasty wrote: »

So where are you putting the front camera?

In the thin bezel up top, where I won't notice it as this huge chunk of missing screen, a monument to compromise?

• Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    My Nexus 6P has super bad battery. Talking, 30 minutes screen off time when not connected to a charger. Since I am married to both stock Android and Project Fi, the Pixel is my only option. Notches suck, so I ordered the base Pixel 3.

Kinda bummed at the price, but I don't really have an option.

For most intents and purposes I have no phone right now.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    Wait shit the 2XL doesn't have a headphone jack either? Give me my 3.5mm jack back, you shitbirds.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Wait shit the 2XL doesn't have a headphone jack either? Give me my 3.5mm jack back, you shitbirds.

it's been gone since the pixel 2 gen

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

There is literally zero excuse for any of the phablet phones. At this point, I thing samsung is the only company that knows how to design a damn phone. You'll pry my OG pixel from my cold dead hands.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

There is literally zero excuse for any of the phablet phones. At this point, I thing samsung is the only company that knows how to design a damn phone. You'll pry my OG pixel from my cold dead hands.

Now that even LG has hopped on the notch train for both the G7 and V40, I hope Samsung continues to resist. Someone has to.

Hit the nail on the head, I think. :+1:

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    These will show up in stores right? My 5x is on its way out and I'd like a larger phone anyway. I'm not sure if the 5.5 will be big enough; I preferred the width of the old Notes but I'm pretty sure that form factor is never coming back so I'd like to try and type on one of the 3s before I pull the trigger.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    So does the pixel 3 xl have any significant upgrades when compared to the pixel 2 xl? Or is it just the notch and wireless charging if you fork over an extra $80 for the stand?

steam_sig.png